Reviews by SirSlarty

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Showing 391 to 420 of 1905.

Carré d'As by Nicolaï

Opens up nice and citrusy but heads down the usual lane of cleanness like Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme with a touch of leather. Don't need to repeat this.

Joseph Abboud by Joseph Abboud

This is very spicy. But not extremely spicy. It's gentle but there's a lot of it. But it is also not strong. Spices, woods and a bit of a sticky ambery drydown. I find it unique but lacking a good punch.

Deep Forest by Bogner

This is a pleasant scent. Powdery yet sweet and subtle herbs and mosses. Very green and warming. Great woody drydown.

Baladin by Nicolaï

It's classy but familiar. Soapy clean like D&G pour Homme and a touch of leather. Versatile and you can wear it anytime.

17th July, 2009

Antonio by Antonio Banderas

Woody and sweet. Heavy amber/sweet musk and doses of sandalwood and various subdued woods (for example: fir, bamboo or cashmere woods). At first I thought this smelled like very sweet tobacco, but it's a sweet woody amber scent. I like it.

16th July, 2009

Borsalino by Borsalino

Sharp, biting citrus and herbs. Lots of herbs. So much in fact that I get a little sneezy from it. At its heart it is a leather and oakmoss scent. An ok scent to me since its definitely not my style.

15th July, 2009

Adolfo Dominguez by Adolfo Dominguez

After the initial "sweaty" herbal and citrus top, dries down into a melony sandalwood and cedar woods base.

14th July, 2009

Takis by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

I really like how deep, dark and woody this seemingly linear vanilla is. All the other notes take a backseat on my skin and I get such a rich, dark woody vanilla that all the other notes that are listed here are irrelevant. I like it because it's the kind of vanilla I like: woody, second to vanilla combined with incense.

13th July, 2009

Racer by Pacoma

This odd little number opens with a... odd accord. It's chemically harsh and difficult (for me) to gather what's going on. After it settles in a few minutes, it became a very pleasant and light woodsy patchouli at the heart. Dries down in an hour or so into a aura of light cedarwood. Very nice right there. Absolutely horrid longevity. I mean, it's not just because I can't smell it anymore due to olfactory fatigue or I'm being way too judgmental, it's because after 3 hours, poof, nothing. Even on clothing. This gets points for being a solid, yet light woodsy patchouli. Kinda like Gucci pour Homme light with an herbal patchouli added.

08th July, 2009

True Religion for Men by True Religion

This seems to be the placeholder for the new fragrance for men that comes in a half anf half bottle where the top half is seuded and the bottom half is sort of a rustic metal.

To me this is a culmination of every modern men's fragrance ever made since Cool Water in 1998. Cool Water plus Acqua di Gio. Somewhat an aromatic fougere in structure and also an acqatic floral. I has the same features and smells like the Acqua di Gio clones most notably like Halston Unbound (powdery version) and Perry Ellis 360 Red (spicier version). But True Religion is also Cool Water but more of the green herbal fern that makes a fougere a fougere.

So after all that... it's relatively boring. Redeeming aspect is the opening of a decent melon and the bottle. The drydown feels a little watery peppery. The "true" thing here is that Acqua di Gio and Cool Water, even if they are the first, smell and feel much better to wear.

06th July, 2009

Silver Cologne by Amouage

Fantastic citrus opening but it all goes downhill from there. The woody florals at the heart reminds me of Paco Rabanne pour Homme and feels like the cologne should shift into an oakmossy base. Instead it shifts into a plethora of other commonly used basenotes instead of a good, solid oakmoss. Here we have a dominant patchouli going at it with the florals and a breezy sandalwood. This gives a strange allusion of an oakmoss base and really confuses the wearer if they are used to more traditional perfumes like myself. A hefty price tag for something that needs getting used to... I think I'll pass, especially after trying it 4 or 5 times in different ways. The last downside is that it does not last long at all.

05th July, 2009

U Para El by Adolfo Dominguez

To me, this a lot like ck One but with a more green, fruity bottom accord. It's fresh and clear, however, doesn't seem to last long on my skin. Good for a daily use cologne.

02nd July, 2009

Adlon Homme by Berlin Cosmetics

This is a spicy, powdery, oakmossy treat. It is so harsh and abrasive at first that one wonders if you need to wash it off. During the day, it's oakmoss extraordinaire and two sprays really feels like too much. As it dries down, it softens up. After a long day, you get spices for the drydown. A very subtle spicy version of B*Men's drydown minus patchouli. It's one that needs to grow on you.

30th June, 2009

Ambra Nera by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

Smooth rounded amber. Loads of vanilla but not overly sweet. Okay, yes it's very sweet but not to the point of death by vanilla. Wanes and dries down into a faint glimmer and sticks with you. Soft and gentle like a breeze full of vanilla scent in the fall.

Pino Fifty by Silvestre

Headshop herbal patchouli bomb! Then dries down into a woody patchouli, nice and smooth. But the opening is very harsh but I like it. Reminded me of a lighter B*Men or Animale Temptation. Though I wouldn't wear it everyday.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Zagorsk by Comme des Garçons

All the melancholy, ambiance and starkness of a church and a hospital in a fragrance.

Nautica Oceans by Nautica

As far as aquatics go, I really like them. Oceans is not for me at all. I get the most boring aquatic yet and it just pushes the dislike for this fragrance family even farther than ever. Soapy and mildly fresh, reminds me of a very weak Geir Ness with out the sweetness. Erg.

23rd June, 2009

90210 Feel Sexy Him by Beverly Hills 90210

Whoa. A rather complex fragrance out of nowhere. Herbal, medicinal and tobacco-like patchouli (not quite headshop patchouli but it's not natural smelling patchouli and feels more like a cheap cigar) is what the fragrance gets down to. In the opening you get green and herbs. Lots of them in fact that it drowns out the patchouli base that's rather dominant in the later stages. And then you get patchouli and the end! If you like cigars and patchouli this would be a surprising fragrance for you!

22nd June, 2009

Jade by Olivier Durbano

I smell a deep, dark twisted tea and tar. Very unusual and smells medicinal. I'm not discounting the scent because of that but I know I don't like the heavy tea in this. I can't be too eloquent on this.

parfums*PARFUMS Luxe: Patchouli by Comme des Garçons

Thick tar like patchouli. Herbal and far from the headshop patchouli however still makes you think of that style of patchouli. Long lasting. Too rich for my blood in both price and scent.

Sutra Ylang by Bois 1920

I feel that this is oriental in nature. A little bit green with woody amber and herbs. Feels like a fuller Obsession for Men with a touch of Pino Silvestre (without pine notes) but not as heavy. Very pleasing and suitable for cool weather.

1920 Extreme by Bois 1920

Amazing stuff. Boozy and bitter. Green bitterness. And it changes a lot. Sometimes it's sweet, or herbal or boozy. And sometimes a patchouli note. Interesting.

parfums*PARFUMS Guerrilla 2 by Comme des Garçons

Also I get is a rosy berry and very perfumey scent. Nothing very amazing or outstanding. In fact, it's a generic feminine fruity floral.

Lucifer No. 1 by Damien Bash

Thick ambery. Heavy rose. Unquestionably oriental. Possibly for those who are fans of aouds. Not me. Too much for my tastes.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 1 Leaves: Lily by Comme des Garçons

No way can I give such a lovely scent any bad criticism. An airy, green lily with a little bit of pepper. Very nice!

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Jaisalmer by Comme des Garçons

Minty incense? That's what I get. Smokey and cool. Fresh and woody. Not bad.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Ouarzazate by Comme des Garçons

Whoa someone put a woody incense in a bottle of Mugler Cologne.

Vétiver by Creed

Refreshing vetiver and is a conglomerate of everything masculine. It's still slightly grassy and has a fruity citrus vibe to it. Also a little creamy. Then it gets mineralic and boring but it was nice when the top lasted.

20th June, 2009

Aigner Suede for Men by Etienne Aigner

This is very soft and sweet. It's like the smell of a new suede jacket still sitting on a rack in a very expensive department store. Soft sweet and a little bit spicy woods in the drydown.

19th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 24th July, 2009)

90210 Energy for Men by Beverly Hills 90210

I wore this on a dreary day, hoping the Energy moniker would give me a pick me up. Guess not. There is no vibrantcy or energy whatsoever. Just a dull sandalwood note.

I will quote John Cleese from Monty Python to describe this scent: "Our experts describe you as an appallingly dull fellow, unimaginative, timid, lacking in initiative, spineless, easily dominated, no sense of humour, tedious company and irrepressibly drab and awful."

18th June, 2009

Showing 391 to 420 of 1905.