Reviews by scmuir

scmuir's avatar
    scmuir

Bois d'Hiver by Ayala Moriel

Ayala’s fragrances are wonderful and different from many scents on the market. She designs as an innovative artist and she makes the scents as a dedicated craftsperson. She uses natural ingredients (making many herself) and prepares small batches to ensure freshness. Her scents are striking, subtle and yet intense. Wearing one is a learning experience, there are always new aspects to discover! My understanding and appreciation grows each time I wear one.
    This is certainly true for Bois d’Hiver. When I first tried it, I was unfamiliar with frankincense and frankly was a bit overwhelmed by it. Weeks later, I was in a church service where incense was burned. Then, I “got” what the scent was about, and I’ve loved it ever since. It captures the mood of a high church service: introspective yet celebratory, spiritual and yet sensual. The top notes are an amazing blend of juniper (fresh, perky, a bit minty) with good woody cedar. The middle has rich florals and a bit of citrus which combine seamlessly. The base is luxurious and is centered in frankincense, which is a rich and spicy green scent. Fir notes play against that, and provide invigorating “spikes” of a cooler green note. Bois d’Hiver is well designed and lovely to wear in cooler weather, particularly at the holidays. It is bold and yet gentle.

26th December, 2007 (Last Edited: 15th June, 2008)