Reviews by graffham

graffham's avatar
    graffham

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

One eau de parfum that continues to give me great pleasure is the hard-to-find Dior Homme Intense eau de parfum. I received a bottle at the beginning of November and by Christmas I was trying figure out how to get more of this little treasure. By little I mean the size of the bottle. Though I would like to have seen a larger size of 75 ml instead of the 50ml, I now realize that for all practical purposes a size in this formulation is fine. I sometimes complain too much. [...]Back to the fragrance at hand. Today I went outside after having finished the daily ablutions and I was struck by what I have called the 'SWIRL FACTOR'. This happens when you head outside and the fragrance you are wearing envelopes, I love this word, yes, envelopes you. In the case of the Dior Homme Intense, the heavier iris, a slight trace of mint, and wood rise to my head and I am delirious. Delirious from the sight of all the snow yet to melt and from the this most handsome concoction, I like this word,too. Heavier on the iris, creamier than the edt,and most pleasantly long lasting, I have worn this for two weeks straight since replenishing my supply and I am a happy man.

23 September, 2008

Encre Noire by Lalique

I have tried Encre Noir, twice.

The top notes remind me of India ink and the hours I used to spend practicing caligraphy when I was young. Sweet, soft, yet composed.

The bottle is memorable and very handsome, like an ink well. And Encre Noire is different from the current offerings.

It is initially, spicey, rich and dark, but it lingers for only a moment. Wait for the eau de parfum as it should be much longer lasting in this format.

07 March, 2007

Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

Opium eau de parfum pour homme

There comes a time after years of wearing and appreciating the nuances of fragrance that one can see where one has been and the level to which one has evolved.

Kouros was my first foray into the YSL line and after 20 years it's still on my shelf- a new bottle, of course.

Lately I've been thinning out my wardrobe, trying to fine tune what I want at hand and also because I want rid myself of excess. Ah,the joys of turning 42.

The Opium eau de parfum pour homme had been on my radar for a few years but I had not given it much thought until I started searching out and edps and discovered the marvels of the basenotes forum.

The reviews were stellar so I knew I must try it.

The comments ranged from 'rich, warm, complex' to 'vanilla-like'.
    They sum up my feelings about this eau de parfum. But I must add, 'masculine, thougtful, intimate'.

This is one fragrance that has garnered the most compliments for me though I rarely give much thought to what comments my fragrance will inspire.

Also, I honestly am happy, dare I say, 'feel' happy, to wear the Opium edp and this is because I can buy into the 'olfactory' trip that most of Houses want us to aspire to. Aspirational advertising doesn't work with me for the most part as I'm pretty happy and fortunately secure.

I wear this on sultry summer days and on deep, bleak days of Canadian winters. The Opium edp is familiar and comforting, intially strong and surefooted yet in the end subtle and reminiscent.

YSL's Opium edp is a joyful, nay, joyous! exception in an overcrowded and misdirected market of glass and alcohol.

Yes, I'd be pretty sad to find out that of all the YSL fragrance line they'd be silly enough to pull the Opium edp. Perhaps they'll tweak the packaging and re-market it as Hermes has done with Equipage? I pray.

I am on the verge of making this my signature scent because it is truly a well-balanced, well-thought out men's fragrance. In fact if I had to pick just one edp to have in my wardrobe, it would be the Opium edp. As an aside, the edt works nicely layered with the edp. Try it!

If any one knows where I can purchase the whole product line of Opium, do let me know. But in the meantime, buy it and enjoy!

26 August, 2006 (Last Edited: 21st October, 2009)

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

I have been wearing this scent for several days now. It is not a high-end niche fragrance but more a well-thought out, 'irresistible' (no puns) and very pleasant fragrance.

The intial top notes are mint, chocolate, perhaps some leather, too? It is fairly long lasting. I applied the fragrance after a birthday morning bath, with some un-scented body lotion before hand and it lasted most of the day.

I'd recommend this if not only for the great in-store advertising featuring that elf-vixen, Liv Tyler. She is lovely!

02 August, 2005

Versailles pour Homme by Jean Desprez

Such warm notes to relish in-it's a shame they didn't share the recipe with us!

05 February, 2005 (Last Edited: 12 March, 2005)