Reviews by Jen81

Jen81's avatar
    Jen81

Provocative Woman by Elizabeth Arden

I don't think that "provocative" is a good name for this perfume, because there is nothing "provocative" about this scent.
    To me it's a rather generic scent that is reminiscent of cheap shampoo that can be bought at the drugstore.

21st November, 2008

Rare Gold by Avon

I'm sorry that I'm not able to be more specific about this perfume, but here goes nothing...

Usually I have no problems with perfumes from Avon, but this one has to be the worst that I've come across in quite a while. To me, it smells like Rave Hairspray gone rotten (if it's even possible for hairspray to rot). I haven't worn it, and I won't wear it.

20th October, 2008

Shalimar by Guerlain

This is my second time trying Shalimar.

The more I try it the more I appreciate it, but there are still some elements of the perfume that still make me wrinkle my nose a little bit.

This particular fragrance has a tendency to come on very strong when first sprayed, and it's full of heady greens. The vanilla slowly makes an appearance, but it starts to get a little powdery while retaining the bite without being overly cloying like most vanillas tend to do.

I'd have to say that I start liking it the best when it finally hits the base, and there's a nice stately mix of vanilla and powder. The green is still there, but this time it's not shouting to be noticed like it does at the opening.

In conclusion, I'd say that I like this perfume but I'm not in love with it like others are. I think it might take a couple more tries for me to truly appreciate it, but I think I might come around. Quite frankly, I think I might like it a bit more if there was a bit more of vanilla at the opening instead of intense greens.

07th April, 2008

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

I have to agree that this particular scent is an improvement on the original Allure, and I like the spicy kick -- I think it adds something that I felt was lacking in the original Allure. This particular scent strikes the perfect balance between sweetness and spice without being cloyingly sweet. Definitely another winner from Chanel!

06th April, 2008

Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture

Without asking I got a sample of this from the sales person working the counter, who was really quite nice. To date I still have the sample that was given to me, as well as the lotion sample.

As Ubuandime mentioned in her review of this fragrance, it's definitely one that'll make you feel like you've just got socked in the nose - my nose was aching for hours on end after smelling this! It's a fragrance that's a bit too intensely sweet, and the warm undercurrent of the fragrance doesn't do too much for me either.

I will agree that the bottle is cute for vanity purposes, but personally the juice within the bottle just doesn't do it for me, and think it would be a waste of money for me just to buy it for the bottle alone.

15th January, 2008

Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton

I got a chance to get a whiff of this a couple of years ago, and I wasn't overly impressed with the scent. It was pretty much like every other cheap fruity floral that I had been sniffing at the time.

This is something that I would not suit anyone my age or older, but I think it could work on someone younger - being that it's the kind of scent that is geared toward that market.

I have to agree with Lavenderose that all this fragrance basically is, in essence, is a marketing ploy to get more money for spoiled young rich girl to glean MORE money off of her minions.

Sad, truly sad.