Reviews by Fragranza

Fragranza's avatar
    Fragranza
    Germany Germany

Moschino Funny! by Moschino

Basically, Moschino Funny is a fruity orange fragrance (bitter orange, mostly) with a clean musky base and a hint of flowers (peonies are most prominent) and green tea. It's a lovely and happy scent, quiet linear, not overly sweet, with excellent lasting power; it's easy to wear and joyful. I like it a lot. Of course there's nothing extravagant or groundbreaking about it, but a lot of things can go wrong with fruity florals and here they don't. Thumbs up!

01st December, 2009

Kölnisch Wasser by Farina Gegenüber

Nothing less than the reference Eau de Cologne - and so much better than 4711.

cK one by Calvin Klein

Having started to explore the universe of fragrances and turned into a "nieche snob" I, too, claimed that CKone really was boring stuff.
    Now, many, many samples later, I can appreciate it again. CKone may be simple, but it's perfectely crafted, immensely wearable and of excellent lasting power. If you haven't tried it yet, do so.

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

Unfortunately 4711 has (already long ago) become terrible generic stuff.
    Try Eau de Cologne by Farina Gegenüber if your want to know what real Kölnisch Wasser smells like.

Cristalle Eau de Parfum by Chanel

I 've tried really hard, revisting both concentrations again and again, but I will never understand how anyone could possibly like to smell like Cristalle. Perhaps it's my skin, perhaps my still too uneducated nose, but all I smell is an unbearable adstringent citrus/cyphre scent, brutally fresh and bitter.

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

Vintage Diorissimo (my bottle is from the early 80s) is a wonder: lush, sparkling, rounded - eternal spring in a bottle. I don't wear it often, but when I do, I'm always totally smitten by it. Best in winter, when it's cold and icy outside and the sky is sapphire blue.

The latest version (2009) of Diorissimo is harsher and louder in my opinion; think Cristina Aguilera dressed up as a a glamourous Hollywood star of the 1950s vs. young Grace Kelly.

Diorissimo doesn't actually smell youthful to me, more like what was meant to be young and careless once. Today it's classical and ageless.

Orangerie by L'Erbolario

This fragrance was a pleasant surprise to me. Orangerie is a delightful musky orange scent with a hint of spices. Unless many others of this genre it's neither overly sweet nor extremely fleeting, but nicely blended and of comparatively rather good lasting power.This means: it doesn't disappear at once, but lasts about four hours on my skin.
    Orangerie starts with juicy, sunny topnotes, evoking freshly peeled citrus fruits, then calms down into a blend of soft, musky-spicy basenotes and the zesty aroma of tawny marmelade. It reminds me of L'Occitane's Feu D'Orange, but I like L'Erbolario's fragrance better.
    If you are looking for a reasonable priced and easy to wear orange scent with some depth, you should give Orangerie a try.

16 November, 2009

Honeysuckle by Yardley

When it comes to honeysuckle fragrances, my heart will always belong to Annick Goutal's, which is absolutely stunning in my opinion.
    Yardley's is a pleasent, soapy honeysuckle, not spectacular at all, but nice enough. Unfortunately it's rather fleeting, too. It lasts better on textiles than on skin; therefore I use it more often as a wardrobe spray than as an Eau de Toilette. When I decide to wear it, though, I'm always pleased by the hint of a soft musky drydown this scent develops.

29 October, 2009

Gucci by Gucci by Gucci

The EdP is one of my favourite autumn fragrances. It is rich, delicious, sensuous (but not sultry), extravagant yet comforting; just the right scent for a foggy, chilly day. I don't specially like the opening, which is very loud (sticky, sweet pear) and heavy (on the patchouli). It's after one hour that the pleasure really starts for me. Gucci by Gucci has then become a well balanced, woodsy patchouli/honey fragrance, nicely blended, still gourmand but not cloying. Sadly the show is over after 3 to 4 hours. The longevity could definitely be better and isn't really in proportion to the pompous opening. Thumbs up nevertheless!

Balkis by Nicolaï

If it wasn't a PdN, nobody would seriously consider or review this fragrance. Few words suffice to describe it fully: roses, berries and far, far too sweet. Why, Patricia, why?

Champs-Elysées by Guerlain

Pretty, soapy, doesn't hurt, very one-dimensional and nothing special at all - a disappointment. This is the first Guerlain release after the house had been taken over by LVMH in 1994 (the date given in the description above is wrong) and is IMHO somehow a symptom of decline. The commercial with Sophie Marceau is stunning, though - but sadly it doesnt't fit the fragrance at all.

Stephanotis by Floris

This is a straightforward white floral, soapy and clean, but sadly somehow not rounded in my opinion. I found Stephanotis rather generic and a little sharp. It's very likely that I would love the soap, but the fragrance never convinced me.

À la Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Simply the best jasmine fragrance I know.

27 May, 2009

L'Instant Magic by Guerlain

Boring, so boring. I do expect something more of Guerlain than such a bland, inoffensive pale powdery floral without character. L'Instant Magic was a big disappointment to me.

12 January, 2009

Nutmeg & Ginger by Jo Malone

This cologne starts beautyfully fresh and juicy with uplifting lemon and spicy ginger notes, but unfortunately the scent dries down to a pale, dusty nutmeg fragrance within minutes. Still not bad, bad not really good neither.

26 September, 2008

Sensi by Giorgio Armani

Powdery, feminine and discreet - a true winner when it comes to skin scents. Unlike the others reviewers I find Sensi rather cool and not warming at all, although the acacia adds a kind of golden shine to the composition. I adore it's understated elegance.

Edit:
    Sad news: Sensi has been discontinued. :-( What a shame.

23 September, 2008 (Last Edited: 04 October, 2009)

Vanille Exquise by Annick Goutal

Starts as a translucent yet comforting vanilla scent, sophisticated and nice. Unfortunately Vanille Exquise develops an unpleasant note an my skin which is hard to describe for me: something generic, midway between cedar and hairspray. The longer the scent is on my skin, the stronger this note becomes until it takes over the pleasant vanilla scent.

18 September, 2008

Divine Bergamote by Different Company

Divine Bergamote opens fresh and tart but dries down to an almost powdery scent with green notes, musk and something sweet (rhubarb?). The bergamote lingers on above this soft base, ceeping it light and crisp.
    If you're generally not a huge fan of hesperides, give this one a try!

14 January, 2008

Fleur du Matin by Miller Harris

On my skin too this was a mere citrus scent with soft green/herbal notes and some very, very well hidden flowers (I get the honeysuckle) far in the background - after two hours it was already gone.

14 January, 2008

Eden by Cacharel

Powerful and weird - I really can't decide wheter I love it or hate it, but either way it provoces strong emotions. Not such a bad thing after all, I guess.

13 January, 2008 (Last Edited: 19 November, 2009)

Sunset Heat by Escada

Very sweet tropical fruit scent - I wouldn't mind eating or drinking something that tastes like "Sunset Heat" but I definitely don't want to smell like it.
    As a perfume designed for the youth market it's not too bad - there are worse.

11th January, 2008

Armani Code for Women by Giorgio Armani

At first "Code" develops a beautiful accord of orange zest, jasmine and sweet, woodsy vanilla on my skin, a joyful and playfully sensuous composition.
    It would be an almost perfect scent for me if it wasn't for the big BUT:
    After two hours "Code" virtually breaks apart on my skin. The top notes are still noticeable, the base ist, too, but everything in between has gone. Half an hour later there is only a touch of musk and vanilla left.

09 January, 2008 (Last Edited: 04 October, 2009)

Voile de Jasmin by Bulgari

Actually the name of the perfume is "Voile de jasmin". ;-)

Le Jasmin by Annick Goutal

Just gorgeous: a bright, natural and authentic jasmine scent with a nice kick added by the ginger. This is not a sweet and overwelming jasmine but a crisp and pure interpretation. The lasting power is extraordinary, though.

True Rose by Woods of Windsor

If one doesn't expect to much of it, "True Rose" is just what it's name suggests: pure rose with a little bit of green. That's it!
    I love it as one of the most authentic rose scents I know.