Reviews by argogos

argogos's avatar
    argogos

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

I find it to be much more like Pure Malt than Pure Malt was like Pure Coffee. In fact, they are so similar in feel that I'm not sure I would have noticed a difference if I wasn't doing a side by side test. Frankly, the slight difference could be likened to the nuances between an EDP and and EDT. Having said that, I prefer the Pure Havane over the Pure Malt. That sweet, earthy Kentucky Blend works so well with the base frag that it makes seamless transitions. Where the Pure Malt has a harsher, more synthetic feel on me, the Pure Havane is a softer, multilayered, natural experience. As they dry down, the difference is more noticeable. Pure Havane maintains the strong base feel but the general impression is softer and sweeter than with the PM. I don't mean to imply that I dislike Pure Malt. I have really enjoyed it; I simply think that Pure Havane has superseded it. I see myself thinking of these as virtually the fragrance in terms of under what circumstances I would use them; casual/professional, or upscale/outdoor event. I will be inclined to use the Pure Havane in the Spring and Summer and the Pure Malt in the Fall and Winter. For the record, Pure Coffee is my fave of the limiteds then Sunessence Summer Storm, Pure Havane, and Pure Malt.

26th March, 2011

Futur by Robert Piguet

This reblend feels a bit like the link between Bandit and Cravache. (oddly, there appear to be few shared notes) All that great piquant opening but with a decidedly clean, green feel about it-what a contradiction! There is just enough of a spicy warmth to keep it from being decidedly fresh or citrusy. I agree with Off-Scenter that the drydown is soapy, and I can see where he gets a woodiness, but on me, there is more of waxy quality. I would relate it to a citronella candle with a slightly pungent soap quality. Ultimately, it is more masculine and controlled than Bandit while bringing some pizzazz and mystery to the citrus qualities of Cravache. Mind you, I feel that both Bandit and Cravache are fantastic in their own rights. Futur, while sharing qualities with both, clearly has its own place in the Piguet line-up.

17th September, 2010

Calypso by Robert Piguet

Sadly, The reblend does not seem to live up to the original. I have not smelled the original but after reading the reviews here, I can't say that it is powerful, biting, or strong. It feels like a warmer version of Baghari. Yes, there is a subtle animalic basenote, but over all it isn't any more striking or unique than many other slightly sweet, mildly spicy vanilla scents. It is very pleasant; it makes easy, lengthy transitions, but I don't see anything unique enough to warrant buying a second bottle-yet. It is my first afternoon with it. The blend leans more to the masculine side than Baghari and I appreciate that. I think I was expecting a spicier, warmer Bandit, a sort of cardamom, galbanum, leathery incense blend. Indeed, I would like there to be more of a Piguet Punch to this one.

17th September, 2010

Artisan by John Varvatos

Justin Case hit it on the head. It is a modern reformulation of 4711. It has a decidely more balanced feel but is undeniably related to the original cologne water. In fact, I would say that because of 4711's brighter, crisper feel that it could be the summer edition of Varvatos Artisan. I applaud Artisan for the smooth and slightly creamier take on the classic but it, as yet, does not feel unique enough to warrant a buy. Lovely woven sheath for the bottle, has a nice tactile quality to it. It is nice, the only reason for the neutral rating is lack of originality.

12th May, 2009

Eau de Star by Thierry Mugler

I think this stuff is fab. The watermelon is balanced by a nice peppery accord giving it an immediate yin-yang appeal. The aquatic accord gives it a fresh, clean feel. Then, there is just enough herbal- patchouli?- to make it zing. as if that weren't enough, there is a pleasant, warm drydown with a hint of powder for comfort. Not terribly complicated but takes you on a nice journey of well-balanced contrasts.

09th April, 2009

Halston Z-14 by Halston

Just buy it. It's quality. It's a bit of a hybrid. The opening is slightly sharp and fresh, like grapefruit though more complex, but quickly followed by a cedar/juniper blast. So to this point, it's a classic citrus but with a "modern" clean and energized boost. Then the oddest thing happens; it has a warm and spicy quality too. A rich cinnamon/ nutmeg accord is detected which leads to a leathery vanillic base. Really very complex and well blended considering the thrashing it takes for being more than 5 years old. It's just in its awkward stage in terms of acceptance. Clearly growing up to be a true classic in another 10-15 years. Sure the cedar/juniper blast feels a little indicative of another era, but it's not as harsh as many from the time and the drydown that follows is worth the journey.

21st March, 2009

Rochas Lui by Rochas

Very nice. I think it's best attribute is the well balanced blend. The Patchouli is both obvious and subtle. Is that possible? Well apparently it is. The cedarwood and vanilla mix surprisingly well to me. I was expecting something more more of an opening zing and smokey drydown but it is actually pretty consistent throughout. I haven't experienced the weakness that others mentioned. The grass seems to be the unifying element and blends so nicely with each individual note that, for me, the journey is a bit like :
    soft woody grass with a hint of neroli/floral
    soft woody grass with a hint of cedar
    soft woody grass with a hint of vanilla
    It has a Guerlinade quality to it as well. It feels very gentlemanly and classic and maintains a fresh quality without being soapy or citrus heavy. Whether there is any "modernity" to it or not, I can't really say. It feels quite traditional to me; like it was created in the 1920s or '30s. Frankly, that works just fine for me.

23rd December, 2008

Profumo di Montecatini by Borghese

This is a fantastically light and unisex fragrance. Similar to Mugler Cologne, it has a simple, clean and fresh scent. What makes it unique is that it has no soapy quality. The mild citrus and florals are crisp and invigorating yet still subtle and soothing. I tend to shy away from "fresh" scents because of their synthetic, cloying effect. This frag is void of those characteristics. Very clean and well blended scent.

10th December, 2008

Royal Copenhagen by Royal Copenhagen

Classic. Masculine yet soft. Clean yet rugged. Very confident fragrance.

19th January, 2008