Reviews by LuciusVorenus

LuciusVorenus's avatar
    LuciusVorenus

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is truly a great perfume. It is not sweet like the other lutens. It is a simple, delicate, animalic thing, that really turns me on. The smell of musk is the olfactory equivalent of a tender kiss on your cheek. I always feel like making out when I smell this perfume. If you can buy it, please do it!

07 October, 2008

Domenico Caraceni 1913 by Domenico Caraceni

I couldn't possibly imagine wearing this fragrance during the day. It is dark, it is somber. Even the rose, hidden in its middle notes with the incense (and cloves?), could not turn this into a green floral happy thing. This is what count Dracula would wear if he really existed. It is the perfume of the vampire: bizarre and sensual, sinister and seductive at the same time. Perfect for biting a victim's neck at the midnight hour.

Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

I won't describe the notes and transitions here, because other reviewers have already done that. I just want to add that the perfume is very sharp and strong in the beginning. I did not like these initial moments...I think the trouble was the mixture of citrus and florals. After 20 minutes, the perfume becomes softer, more tamed.

I do like this soapy cologne. I just didn't like the harsh top.

Captain Molyneux by Molyneux

Do you know the smell of the things that spent a long time immersed in sea water? I mean, like the smell of the wood pillars in a pier.... You can find this smell in Captain Molyneux. it is an inexpensive perfume, under 30 dollars. I highly recommend it. It is a gem that is still waiting to be discovered and receive recognition.

Iquitos by Alain Delon

I can see what they were trying to do with this perfume. They were trying to create the smell of real roses using artificial ingredients. Rose Otto is very greenish and doesn't smell like real roses, because of the process used to obtain the oil. So Iquitos tried to recreate the rose using other ingredients. If you try hard enough, you can imagine a real rose when you smell this perfume. But if you don't try hard enough, it smells like rubber. It's the aldehydes that give this rubber smell to it.

I don't hate this perfume, but come on, this could never be considered a masterpiece. So I'll give it a neutral rating.

25 September, 2008

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

Imagine that you have a tiger as a pet. You want your tiger to smell nice, so you spray Eau D'Orange Verte on him.

Eau D'Hermes simulates how your tiger would smell, after being sprayed with that perfume. It is a mix of sweat of beast, leather and oranges. It is certainly a work of genius. I would put it into the same league of Eau Sauvage. The difference is that Sauvage uses lemon and Eau D'Hermes uses orange, and Sauvage is less savage (no pun intended).

Everyone should try this perfume. Thumbs up!

18 September, 2008

Pour Un Homme by Caron

The lavender is lovely, but the vanilla on the base made me sick. I prefer L'Occitan by L'Occitane. It is a much better lavender fragrance. This combination of lavender and vanilla doesn't work for me.

27 August, 2008

Habanita by Molinard

I am sorry but I disagree with some reviewers. This perfume is very feminine. It is powdery and has a strong Rose middle note. Still, it is a beautiful perfume, masterfully balanced and very long lasting. But don't fool yourself thinking it can be considered a masculine fragrance. It can't!

13 August, 2008

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I really loved the first notes, because the urine smell was masked by the citrus. But as the perfume progressed and the middle and basenotes arrived, it was basically urine that I was smelling. It is very difficult to judge this perfume because it is very pleasant in the beginning. But I feel I don't have the guts to wear it in public, because people will think I wet my pants.

09 August, 2008

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I must say I am very impressed with this perfume. I bought it as a gamble, as another attempt to enjoy an YSL perfume. I bought Jazz and Opium EDP in the past, but I thought the first was mediocre and the second was too spicy. I actually felt sick when wearing Opium EDP, and had to sell it at the marketplace. Opium EDP is nauseating, a feverish excess in olfactory sensations.

But M7 is a gorgeous, delicious, sensual, smooth, subtle perfume. I love its resinous agarwood notes. It keeps all the best parts of Opium without adding the nasty spices. This perfume is very sexy and I plan to use it when I go out at night.

07 August, 2008

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

This is how heaven probably smells like. It's the most refreshing perfume you will ever find. It exudes class, innocence and beauty.

05 August, 2008

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

This perfume does NOT smell synthetic at all. it is very natural and real. Many people will be outraged by my statement, but the truth is that I prefer Pino Silvestre to Blenheim Bouquet. I think that the mix of pine and citrus in BB is not pleasant and too sharp, even though the pine note is more powerful and refreshing than Pino's

Overall, Pino Silvestre is more harmonious than Blenheim Bouquet. You can buy it for less than 10 bucks... It is one of the true bargains available today. A must have.

03 August, 2008

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

This is an artificial, cold, weird fragrance that brings me memories of a nightmare. Do not buy this one.

29 April, 2008

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

I agree that it is very vanilla, extremely sweet and powdery. I don't smell much leather though. I agree that it reminds of old people....rich old people. I don't find it to be a bad perfume and I am planning to use mine at the office.

20th January, 2008

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

I don't like the aquatics in general. In my opinion they are all a bit artificial. They are certainly not sexy, and I feel strange when I wear them.

19 January, 2008

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

This perfume has lemon, spices and wood in a perfect and balanced combination. It is a classic perfume, very masculine without being too strong, and versatile: you can wear it both at the office and in a romantic setting.

19 January, 2008

Ungaro III by Ungaro

It is a very, very modern scent that was imitated by many. I don't agree that the rose note is strong, contrary to what other reviewers said. I like this fragrance, I have nothing against it, but I would never put it in my top ten list. I believe it is being over-rated here at basenotes. It has no magic.

Tricorn by Caswell-Massey

It is indeed medicinal, but also linear, with one single dimension. I didn't like the medicinal aspect of the fragrance.

Cole Porter was right about music, but wrong about perfume.

Équipage by Hermès

Pine, Vetiver and Patchouli. This is a strong perfume, a beast, and I don't agree that it should be used at the office. It is a bit too strong for my taste. Very manly and clearly old.

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

This perfume exudes sensuality. It is powerful, sweet, warm and very long lasting. The nutmeg and the woody notes stand out. I would never use it during the day, but it is perfect for the night, specially if you are looking for an adventure or if you want to seduce your girlfriend/boyfriend with a new weapon.

Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligon's

The first notes of this perfume made me nervous. I felt like it was designed for innocent virgin girls. But as soon as the rose and sandalwood took over, I became aware of how sophisticated this fragrance is. It is delicate but manly at the same time. It is a wonderful achievement and can surely be considered a classic. Thumbs up.

17 January, 2008

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

The creators of this perfume managed to put a cathedral inside a little bottle. I absolutely loved it and plan wear it at night. I think it is specially suitable for a candlelit dinner. The wood and the incense will bring mistery and a contemplative satisfaction to the occasion. It is a peaceful, balanced perfume that deserves my praise.

16 January, 2008

Jovan Musk for Men by Jovan

It smells like a cheap, weird soap. It is artificial and reminds me of rubber, mixed with something medicinal.

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

This perfume scares the hell out of you for the first 5 minutes. It is too strong and beastly. But after a few minutes you get a good payoff, and a lovely combination of Patchouli and vetiver stands out, with a touch of leather. It is a sophisticated perfume, very manly, classic and conservative. Not for the young boys.

Canoé by Dana

This is an awful perfume. It is very artificial, like one of those awful medications that your grandma gave you when you were a kid.

I want to get rid of my bottle.