Reviews by jcrich

jcrich's avatar
    jcrich
    England England

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I decided to revisit MKK, a couple of years after first trying it and finding it to be, to my nose, vile.

I have slightly softened my opinion on second wearing, but I just can't get past the sweaty buttocks smell. Even a lady at work, whose opinion I value greatly, said "it smells like bottoms" so even if I did like it (which I don't), I'd not want to walk around with people thinking that I hadn't cleaned my undercarriage properly.

Generally, I have problems with Lutens scents as I find them a touch medicinal. Can't say that about MKK though!

20th May, 2010

H.O.T. Always by Bond No. 9

Smell like scotch whiskey and mothballs. Not for me.

11th February, 2010

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

I've just sampled Chez Bond, and was struck by it's similarity to GIT. Then I read the other reviews and realized I was not alone.

I'll stick with Creed. I mark this as neutral purely for it's lack of ambition.

01st February, 2010

Private Collection - L'Ombre Fauve by Parfumerie Generale

Oops, sorry to break up the party.

I've been wearing this for a few hours now. I don't mind the base, but there is, to my nose, a stale note in the opening which takes a couple of hours to dissipate. It reminds me of the smell of laundry that hasn't aired properly.

I have not long discovered PG, and have sampled a few and been very impressed, but this one's a no-no, unfortunately.

16 January, 2010

New York by Nicolaï

A very classy masculine oriental. The only thing that stops me buying it is that I find BdP to be similar, and marginally better. Still, a well deserved thumbs up from me.

Knize Ten by Knize

All I get is a musty smelling drydown which I didn't like at all.

I was trying to recall what this reminded me of, and then I read shamu1's comments and it came to me. It reminds me of the cupboard under the stairs where my parents used to keep the shoe brushes and polish. Not nice.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Classic and elegant, one that I'd save if the house burned down. I don't agree about the old man connotations, but agree that it is easier for a mature man to carry it off. Obvious comparisons with PdNY but to my nose BdP is better.

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A nice composition, but for me it is spoiled by what I detect to be an underlying medicinal scent.