Reviews by AnnaSa

AnnaSa's avatar
    AnnaSa
    Sweden Sweden

Armani Privé Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani

Any scent with wood and incense in the name is a must-try for me. Bos d'encens gives you exactly that: wood and incense. I get a very sharp cedarwood at first, with hints of pinetree, I really like cedarwood but this is almost too much for me (pencil shavings and hamster cage come to mind). Then comes the incense, a very dry, light, high quality incense that is absolutely wonderful. I get some smoke and vetiver too, but the overall impression is dry, sharp cedarwood and incense. This would smell great on a man, but is very wearable for women too. The reason why I only give it a 3 is the lack of sillage and staying power. It stays extremely close to the skin, I think I'll spray my clothes next time to get some smell out of it. And it's gone in an hour or so, which is why I don't think it's worth the $$$ - the pricing is ridiculous. If you like this but don't want to pay that much - I recommend Zagorsk by Comme de Garcons.

09th November, 2009

The One by Dolce & Gabbana

I really like The One, it's a warm and soft scent with good lasting power. The sweet fruit notes in the opening are not cloying, I guess they are balanced by the bergamt in a very good way. Then comes the floral heart with warm amber and vanilla in the bottom - the notes blend very well and it's hard to pick out the individual notes. I think it's a very well done designer fragrance, the only negative is probably that it's not very original, but that doesn't bother me much. Great for cold winter days.

22nd June, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2010)

Aria di Capri by Carthusia

Vibert's review is spot-on, there is not much I can add. I love Aria di Carthusia and wear it in early spring when I long for summer and warm weather. The opening is wonderful, I get a lot of licorice and less aldehydes than other reviewers. The only negative aspect is the poor lasting power.

03rd April, 2009

Byzance by Rochas

My stepmother used to wear this in the late 80s and I loved the way it smelled on her! It was heavy, warm and delicious with a soapy opening. I was only a teenager then and understood that it was too heavy for me. Recently I bought a bottle for myself, thinking I might be able to pull it off now - but sadly it's not at all the same scent. It has been reformulated and smells completely different from what I remember. Luckily, it is still avery good scent. On me, this is incense, incense, incense - but a very soft and exclusive incense. Hints of amber and soft musk come and go, and there might be some wood in there. A wonderful cold weather scent - but I miss the original Byzance.

13th March, 2009

Cristobal by Balenciaga

I love this Cristobal - it has a lot of vanilla but it never becomes cloying on me. The opening is vanilla with creamy fig, but after 5-10 minutes a smoky incense note comes in and takes over, and for a very long time this is an incense & vanilla-scent on me. Not very many people have mentioned the incense in their reviews - so I guess it depends on your skin. I should add that I have only worn this in cold weather - and I think it is best to do so. The drydown is vanilla and wood, and absolutely wonderful!

19th February, 2009

Cuir Pleine Fleur / Fine Leather by Heeley

I absolutely love Cuir Pleine Fleur - this is the smell of luxury to me. The leather is a top quality, super soft leather - and the floral and green notes are fresh and in perfect balance with the leather. I never smelled mimosa this good, it's absolutely wonderful. I don't think I will ever get tired of this fragrance.

21st January, 2009

Nu Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

I love this one, and I think Nu is a very good name for it. It has a transparent quality about it, like a veil. The opening is a bit cold and dark on me, but then suddenly a wonderful floral note appears - it must be the white orchid - and the drydown is divine: warm wood, incense and sheer musk.

I don't find it owerpowering at all, but not weak either - more like if you've applied it on clothes that you've taken off, but the scent still lingers on your body.

Awful packaging though, I absolutely hate the bottle.

04th January, 2009

Dolce & Gabbana by Dolce & Gabbana

This is one of my favourite designer fragrances. I remember trying it when it was released in the early nineties, but couldn't wear it then - I was probably too young for it. It's very feminine - but in a powerful way, this is a scent for women, not girls.

It's very warm, floral oriental scent, yet fresh - probably because of the lovely basil and ivy top notes. The drydown is divine, musk with a hint of vanilla. It is very well balanced and long-lasting, it lasts all day for me, but then I live in a cold climate. I use this one during cold autumn and winter days to heat me up.

I agree on what other reviewers said - this is a classic! The only thing that reveals it to be a 90's scent is the packaging, that could probably use an update - but I hope they never change the juice!

29th December, 2008

Byblos Fuoco / Byblos Fire by Byblos

Spicey, but very one-dimensional. For a more intelligent take on this, try Etat Libre d'Orange's "Rien". If you like Fuoco you'll love Rien!

25th April, 2008