Reviews by moltening

Louve by Serge Lutens

There is a reason this scent is called Louve, the female wolf.

On my skin, the almond-cherry-vanilla sweetness later reveals a dirty powdery musk. The musk is more amplified on me than when my girlfriend wears this. IMO, the composition as a whole is pretty tame though (and very feminine too), so perhaps "Late Teenage Wolf" would've been a more appropriate name.
04th February, 2009

Encre Noire by Lalique

Woody vetiver, vetiver, and some more vetiver with volume turned up a few notches. Similar to the vetiver used in Kenzo Air and sharper/less rounded than Malle's VE.
02nd February, 2009

Botrytis by Ginestet

Botrytis: honeyed spices, fruit, and pipe tobacco over noble rot accented with a little bit of white florals over a virtually wood-less base. Very sweet and overbearing, but very delicious. Try sampling this against By Kilian's Back to Black!
01st February, 2009 (last edited: 12th September, 2009)

Fumidus by Profumum

This smells like smoky and bold scotch whiskey, peat, and vetiver with an overwhelming opening. Are you sure this is what you want to smell like? If you want to smell like this -- try some lower-grade vetiver oils.

When people go clubbing in Thailand, they don't drink beer, vodka, and other spirits. What they, the majority, drink is whiskey. And this.... this smells like I wore Encre Noire out to the club, got drunk, and literally bathed myself in scotch, went out to the parking lot and fainted, lying next to a diesel car's exhaust for a few hours.
31st January, 2009 (last edited: 24th August, 2009)

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens

It's a vivacious (I hate that word) transparent fruity blend of apricots and a very light suede/leather. Works much better on women than men. (IMO)

P.S. I don't think this is like Cuir Ottoman at all. Personally, I prefer Cuir Ottoman over this. It's also fruity, but the leather is much more tenacious and present, with a slight dirtiness I appreciate.
30th January, 2009 (last edited: 20th October, 2011)

Rousse by Serge Lutens

From start to finish, all I get is cassis (cinnamon bark) and orange. I don't like it.
30th January, 2009

Brandy by Brandy

Brandy is a cheerful and simple fruity blend of apple brandy garnished with cinnamon.

It's not earth-shattering or A-grade material, but it sure is charming and would work great as an air freshener.
30th January, 2009 (last edited: 29th July, 2009)

Arabie by Serge Lutens

Like many people, I originally disliked Arabie.

Yes, it's sweet AND cloying.

Yes, it will overwhelm you with a medicinal stew of dried fruits.

But guess what -- Arabie is perfectly wearable and works wonderfully on me. Give this one a few chances. Fruitcake in a bottle. Just perfect!
26th January, 2009 (last edited: 11th November, 2011)

Mogul by Parfums Raffy

I tried to visit A List Fragrances' website, which apparently were the ones "responsible" for this.. little abomination. Well, it appears they didn't even bother creating a website, which clearly reflects their level of effort. Seriously though, this is just a more concentrated recreation of various 80's-themed frags. This one has no heart and soul.
22nd January, 2009

Dragon by Parfums Raffy

This ain't no dragon -- a lizard perhaps? This is just a boring dismissible messed-up synthetic mish-mash. Smells cheap with no glimpse of hope to save it from complete utter mediocrity... and then it's gone. Hooray!
22nd January, 2009

Unforgivable by Sean John

This one is a compliment-magnet from the chicks, but that doesn't mean this lower-cost copy of Millesime Imperial should be forgiven.
22nd January, 2009 (last edited: 24th August, 2009)

Cuir Venenum 03 by Parfumerie Generale

Oh no! Why did you spill your grape slush on my Bentley's seats?! You could've just sprayed some Cuir Venenum!

2011 Revisit:
A plastic cup of grape-scented beer in the cupholder of an all-new Continental GT.
17th January, 2009 (last edited: 20th October, 2011)

Eau de Gloire by Parfum d'Empire

A take on the classical "eau de cologne" with a twist. From the many different variations and derivatives of the cologne theme I've tried, this is one of the most characterful and appealing.

The typical cool sharp herbal-citrus opening with a touch of lavender fades very quickly, revealing the twist which here is a bucketload of anise/licorice that soon fades in volume leaving behind incense and tobacco. If you think that sounds masculine, yes, you're right, it is -- after all, it was meant to evoke Napoleon. Note that some may be turned off by the overwhelming amount of anise, but frankly, I am a fan of the note. Not the best scent in the world, but I have to give a well-deserved enthusiastic thumbs up for this one.
17th January, 2009

Cool Water by Davidoff

This marks the end of the 80's, the end of an era. (but I was only a few months old then so what do I know?)

It is undoubtedly a well-constructed fresh fougere, but given how I feel about it now, I can only give a neutral rating. Alas, I'm sure it had once been in a part of all our lives. A memory for countless people for sure.
17th January, 2009

Cèdre by Serge Lutens

This should be called Tubereuse, not Cedre.
16th January, 2009 (last edited: 28th July, 2009)

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

Deep boozy vanilla that doesn't disappoint. Lasts forever and envelopes the wearer.

Believe the hype.

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

I spy. I spy a wet dog rolling on the cement. It gets a lil too playful and gets nauseous. Then it vomits out the leaves and sweets it ate earlier for afternoon tea.

Actually, it's not that bad. Just not for me at all.

Chêne by Serge Lutens

I wanted to like this, and I do.. but...

I just goes on oaky, smoky, and dry.. then that's it. However, by far, this is probably the most authentic conjuration of oak, but it just lacks the magic and charm I wanted it to have.

Altogether, will still buy if I see a reasonably priced bottle of it on the swap and sale boards.

Cuoio by Odori

The best in the Odori line by far. Jealous that everso managed to snatch a bottle at half price!

Anyway, it's a fresh chemical-esque smelling leather scent with great complexity that somehow ends up smelling just like my like great grandmother's bedroom. Funnily, my girlfriend said this smells like her grandma's room as well.
10th January, 2009

Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire

Slightly dirty and kinky leather with iris, fruits, and something balsamic. Intoxicating sillage. A guilty pleasure.

Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire

Pedestal-worthy amber fragrance.

Aoud Lime by Montale

Aoud Lime is a twist on the traditional gentleman's cologne with the addition of a very pronounced oud note. I initially turned it down. Back then, little did I know, that it would eventually end up in my wishlist. Definitely one of Montale's better scents in the oud line.
09th January, 2009 (last edited: 11th July, 2009)

Armani Privé Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani

Messe Serale.

Avignon, once more with feeling. (and an enveloping sillage/aura)

Geir by Geir Ness

Spicy nothing. Cool nothing. Fresh nothing. Clean nothing. Synthetic nothing.

But "nothing" can actually end up being a good something. Am I making sense?

Burberry Brit for Men by Burberry

Powder. Powder. Powder. Hazy woods. And some more powder.

But wait! The sillage is actually very pleasant. One for the chicks.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Cool Water with better materials, but done with less finesse.

Douce Amère by Serge Lutens

Very light for a Lutens. This wears easily and is mysterious and romantic.

Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Extremely thick, syrupy, powerful, and rich. Herbal like Ambre Sultan, but much sweeter with a hint of smokiness from the incense.

What's special about this one is the sillage. It's a sillage monster alright. The good thing is that the sillage is indeed pleasant: resinous and sweet and to my surprise, without being too cloying.
06th January, 2009

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

It's all about the choco-coffee and patchouli. (No, I didn't feel like typing in "mocha")

I have been on and off about A*Men for a very long time since I first purchased my bottle way back in high school, and guess what -- I'm back to likin' it and I'm close to finishing university. Yes, the bottle lasted all these years even after occasional use.
05th January, 2009

L'Homme Sage by Divine

From my old post last year:

IMO, as a house, Divine is really underrated. How often do we see threads on Divine? I have recently finished my sample of L'homme Sage and have been considering whether it is bottle-worthy or not. Here's what I thought of it:

L'homme Sage begins with a spicy blast of aromatic saffron and cardamom that recalls an Indian spice market that I have often passed through in my youth, which melds in beautifully with the bitter-sweet citrus that is hidden together with some subtle notes of fruit. (lychee I say) We are then lead by the trail of smoky incense through the woods with little flowers along the way into a base of very lovely patchouli and amber that is complimented by some very pleasant wood notes. By that time, we have already reached a wooden log cabin -- filled with the serene scent of "being at home, with peace of mind, and away from the chaos" surrounded by the enveloping earthiness of the woods that surround the cabin. Like the sage, this scent quietly seduces with words of wisdom, not with sheer power or brute force. Simply divine!

Okay, enough flowery language. This spicy-woody-sweet scent to me smells really smooth, sophisticated, and complex. However, I sometimes feel that a little something is missing when I wear it despite it being very rich and "3-dimensional." (a little more oomph would be great) Maybe because it is too solemnly made without any sort of quirks or playfulness? Nevertheless, it is a very attractive and compelling blend indeed, but it could've been something more as well. Sillage is somewhere between okay to good --- and it stays surprisingly quite close to the skin for such a rich scent.

So -- what do you think? Is it worth the price for you? The sleek 50ml spray is 75euro ... while the 150ml flacon is 150euro. Personally, I think the 150ml is definitely worth the price. Despite some shortcomings, I find it impossible to not give this a thumbs up.
03rd January, 2009