Reviews by moltening

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Palisander by Comme des Garçons

Sweet and smooth woods and myrrhe. Soapy, quiet, boring. Next!
19th July, 2008 (last edited: 09th November, 2009)

Nicole Miller for Men by Nicole Miller

Not exactly boozy for me -- all I get is nauseatingly synthetic vanillic sweetness with leather that feels like it got wrapped around a soaking wet dog. Somehow, it feels "muted" and powerful at the same time -- something that doesn't fare well with me.

I expected to like this, but it is rather "out of date, "fairly arrogant, and smells quite surprisingly cheap. I can see why it's discontinued. Sorry, but thumbs down.
17th July, 2008

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

What a lovely oriental! LDDM is an exotic dry honeyed incense and swirling spice with an ambery base and vanilla. Tauer deserves the praise he's been getting.
11th July, 2008 (last edited: 01st August, 2009)

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

An aged (not exactly "rotten") orange sitting on an old wooden bench.

Somewhat tranquil -- but overapply and you'll end up smelling like a toilet cleaning/floor-washing liquid.

Philosykos Eau de Toilette by Diptyque

Fig lovers -- this may be the holy grail you've been searching for!

As for myself, I'll be frank -- I'm still not convinced. It's like sitting under the shade of a fig tree -- then someone mischievous suddenly starts spraying coconut juice. Annoyed, your S.O. tries to ignore the troublemakers by cutting the unripe figs she had just picked into halves and throws them back at the misfits. Finally, they leave after being terrorized by the green-ness of the figs. Sadly, by the time you try to sit down and enjoy the scent of the figs -- you smell nothing because there are no figs left -- just the faint smell of leaves and the wood.

Touch for Men by Burberry

Sweet. Powdery. Violet-ey compliment-magnet.

Makes a good and exciting first impression -- but bores quickly.
Like a one night stand.
Or most blind dates.
Or MacOS X.

Scuderia Ferrari Black by Ferrari

If I had the option to choose Ten Thumbs Down, I would.

This one makes me nauseous for some reason. Sweetly uncomfortable. Sillage is okay but the "sillage" itself that is given out is lackluster.

Smells similar to Dunhill Blue.
With hundreds of better offerings -- avoid like the plague.

Costume National 21 by Costume National

On me, what I got was a strong velvety milky and anisic wood with very noticeable whiffs of spices (cumin? saffron?). I'd say it's organic, warm, comforting, and "enveloping." It's complex, sophisticated, and has very decent longevity as well. A bit on the feminine side -- but can be pulled easily by just about anyone. The entire creation comes off as synthetic, but I do find it very enjoyable.
04th July, 2008 (last edited: 27th November, 2009)

Echo by Davidoff

Echo was meant to smell synthetic, crisp, and fresh with its light ozonic metallic sweetness. Well, that's what you get.

When I think of Echo, I think of the city. A very "urban" scent indeed. Kudos to Mr. Rashim for the bottle design though.
09th June, 2008

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Sequoia by Comme des Garçons

On my skin, this is extremely boozy (sweet rum), slightly woody, and with just the right amount of spices. This isn't "redwood," but instead bits of wood that is sprinkled on an exotic red cocktail of rum and spices.

This is going straight to my wishlist. Despite being named Sequoia, note that wood does not take the spotlight, so if you're expecting a good ol' woody-wood fragrance -- you're in for a disappointment.

Overall, it is a very addicting and magnetic scent with loads of character.

Bottleworthy? Yes please. =)
05th June, 2008

Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons

Here's my pretentious review when I was a n00b:

If Odeur 53 was a comfort scent of sitting in a garden of pixelized leaves and sunshine that's right next to a pool of soapy water that is filled with sentient robotic fish while being blown on the face by gusts of sweet refrigerated air --

...then Odeur 71 would be like standing alone, being the only human in a desolate robotic landscape with miles and miles of plastic-covered buildings that block out the sky. In the distance, you also see some robots burning pieces of rubber and other various synthetic material. They are there, but they make no sound. Everything is silent -- and the dust of the barren synthetic terrain are blown onto your face.

Here's my review today:

Metallic and woody. Okay, but boring. Pass!
05th June, 2008 (last edited: 29th July, 2009)

Odeur 53 by Comme des Garçons

Here's my original review, that I found to be quite pretentious but actually not that bad:

"A comfort scent of sitting in a garden of pixelized leaves and sunshine that's right next to a pool of soapy water that is filled with sentient robotic fish while being blown on the face by gusts of sweet refrigerated air."

WARNING: Initially, it smells like nothing, but try over-spraying or over-applying and you might find yourself running to the sink with a headache to wash it off. Even when applied lightly, the sillage and longevity is surprisingly monstrous for such a clean scent. There is a sharp synthetic note in Odeur 53 that I believe to tell the wearer's brain that "Hey! There's something that smells chemically dangerous around you! Here, have a nice headache. This should make you take care of the smell!" However, after a while, your brain gets used to it -- then you can start spraying that 200ml bottle of yours like there's no tomorrow.

I have sampled both 53 and 71 and I at first have found both to be pretty underwhelming. Initially, I thought that 71 was more interesting/challenging and that 53 was too overly subtle. (note: boring oblivious nothingness) However, a few days ago, I sprayed some GPHII on my body and applied a very little bit of 53 on my hands from my sample vial then went outside. It was very windy that day. I walked around then suddenly I wondered what smelled so nice. I knew that it wasn't the GPHII. Then I realized it was the 53! The combination of the evening breeze with Odeur 53 was in my opinion, strangely amazing.

I was also surprised at the sillage that was given off. When sniffed up close, it's nothing much to get excited about -- pleasant, but nothing too exciting. Kinda like "my skin but better." When I smell 53, I think of "refrigerated chlorophyll, cellulose, and air." For me, it's a very "green" and transparent frag. A good frag for a windy day. Overall, it's pretty unique and easy to wear.

Here's my review today:

Soapy woods with a plastic tinge. Wears lightly. Pass!
05th June, 2008 (last edited: 29th July, 2009)

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Gaultier² = Sweetness²

Amber.
Vanilla.
Musk.
That's what you get at first
-- and that's what you'll get in the end as well.

On the skin, it feels warm, radiant, tender, and organic. Beneath the surface, my nose also senses something that is slightly animalic. At first sniff, it smelled very familiar to me -- like something forgotten long ago in childhood that I had found again. A good intimate scent that should be used only in certain places and at certain times. I'll let you be the judge. :)

Bottleworthy? Let your nose (and tolerance of sweetness) be the judge for this one.
03rd June, 2008 (last edited: 04th July, 2008)

Sentiment for Men by Escada

Man, where do I start.

On me, this is a rosey-jackfruit fiasco. Simply disastrously sickening on me.

Imagine being trapped in a sea of roses in the shell of a titanic GMO jackfruit. Then suddenly, a spice carriage selling pepper, lime, and vetiver decides to crash in -- sending the rosy citrusy top into oblivion. The sweet fruity notes are far too sick and nauseating for me to handle without going "ugh" -- and this is coming from someone who enjoys Gaultier2 and Lolita Lempicka au Masculin as well as some of Serge Luten's syrup-drenched sweetness.

This is what I call sweetness done the wrong way. It also smells synthetic, so 90's, and so CK. Then guess what, it even gets worse after that the longer it stays on your skin! Yes, yes, I know I'm being harsh and that this scent at least deserves a neutral rating. It definitely wouldn't offend people around you, but there is a high chance that it would offend you, the potential victim/wearer of this scent.

Bottleworthy? To put it in the politest way I can -- hell no. :)
28th May, 2008 (last edited: 09th June, 2008)

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

Simply put, one of Bvlgari's worst and uninteresting release to date.

This smells incredibly cheap. Embarassingly generic and sweet/salty in a way that could make you sick. Much more calone than its predecessor with barely any similarities. (What seaweed note? Where's the poseidonia?) This could've and should have been marketed as a totally different fragrance -- not a spinoff/flanker of Aqua. "Eau de Calone" would be a fitting name.

Here's my little story:

My relative went abroad and asked me what I wanted at the duty free. I told her "Bvlgari Aqua." Instead I got Aqua MARINE. It came with a miniature -- so I opened it before opening the big 100ml bottle in the box.

Tried it on my skin, sniffed a few times. Next thing I know was that I already sold it to my friend that lives in the same university apartment. I was really relieved that I had been able to sell it so quickly. :D

Bottleworthy? Definitely not for me. Be sure to try it on yourself a few times before deciding to invest in a bottle.
09th May, 2008 (last edited: 05th June, 2008)