Reviews by Galleddrim

Galleddrim's avatar
    Galleddrim

Fahrenheit Absolute by Christian Dior

Just received my bottle of Fahrenheit Absolute today. Mmmmm . . . liking it. It's different from anything else I have. A bit reminiscent of Armani Code plus incense and cedar when just smelling from the bottle . . . plus another note that gives it some fresh lift. Probably the violet.

The blend is very unique. The drydown is spicy, incensy, but not in an obnoxious way. I catch the medicinal oud in the background, drifting in and out of the scene. At least that's what I think it is, comparing with M7, as I have never smelled real oud. Actually, the that note is more noticeable upon first spraying.

It retains that violet lift, which also drifts in and out of consciousness. Fahrenheit Absolute is one of those fragrances that you don't get the full picture on one sniff. Each sampling of it will reveal something new and different. This is good, as it's intriguing enough to get people coming back. And it lasts and lasts, so they'll keep coming back all evening (yes, definitely for evening wear).

08 December, 2009

Trussardi Inside Man by Trussardi

This is a wonderful fragrance. Sweet, but not in an overpowering way. I don't get lemon on the top at all. It's is sort of citrusy, but to my nose it smells more like pineapple. This is nicely blended with a coffee note. I could swear I smell a sort of a cocoa note. The tobacco is very, VERY faint, and drifts in and out. Sometimes I smell it, sometimes I don't. And the woods underneath and nicely balanced.

Overall a very classy fragrance. Decent sillage and longevity.

28 October, 2009

Cuba Red by Cuba Paris

I really like Cuba Red. It's probably my favorite of the Cuba line that I've tried so far. And I'm a big fan of the Cuba line. It's a real masculine frag that can be had for less than the price of Axe. What's not to love?

Opens with a woody, dirty cinnamon. I've smelled cinnamon in other frags (like Perry Ellis 360 Red) and haven't liked it. But here it's done right. Balanced with just the right amount of woods. I get a little bit of a coffee note maybe, and then sweet tobacco takes over. Just good stuff, especially for the price. I got my 1.17oz cigar bottle on Amazon for less than $3. No, that's not a typo. Less than THREE DOLLARS. Free shipping. Wow.

22 October, 2009

Cool Water by Davidoff

I purchases this because I was curious about all the comparisons to Creed Green Irish Tweed. Well, here I am wearing it now . . . and I have to say Davidoff did a remarkably good job in making a cheap GIT knockoff.

This is not a bad thing, seeing as how pricey real GIT is. So here's my review/comparison.

The opening is remarkably similar to GIT with that round tangy note. Not sure how to identify it. CW is much more in-your-face with ALL its notes up front, with little or no development over the first few minutes. GIT envelopes the wearer in a sort of heady aura that CW somehow doesn't reach. Which is odd, since smelling them side by side, one might think, sure, they're almost alike.

In any case, bottom line is that they are similar, but CW is just trying to approach what GIT accomplishes with ease. I will keep CW around for casual occasions when I don't want to spray the pure gold that is GIT on myself. CW approximates the effect well enough for when it doesn't really matter as much.

20th July, 2009

Summer Night by Canali

Canali Summer Night seems to be a rather overlooked fragrance. Even on my own fragrance shelf it sits there in the back unobtrusively. I pulled it out today and spritzed some on, so figured it was a good time to share my thoughts.

The bottle is beautiful, first of all. I got Summer Night as a tester, but it included the cap and the "not for retail" label was a sticker that was easily removed. This is actually the case for all Canali testers I've had in the past. The bottle is a typical Canali shape with a deep blue to aqua gradient. The cap is a sort of iridescent silver, which doesn't come through so well on the pics.

The juice itself opens with a fruity blast, but not too sweet. I can smell the pineapple immediately. The midtones are a light pleasant floral with the the more animalic and musky basenotes just poking through gently give it that slight masculine edge. All in all not a super unique fragrance, but very pleasant, and appropriate for long walks on the beach. It doesn't smell like ocean, but would compliment an oceanic breeze nicely.

Longevity is average. It hangs around and makes itself known randomly. I keep a 5mL spritzer with me when I wear, so can refresh any time.

13 July, 2009

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Silver Mountain Water smells wonderful. A bright cheerful fragrance. I really love smelling it, even if it is a bit unisex. The problem is that it is way to weak, especially for the price point. And on me, it only lasts for about an hour or so. GIT lasts me several. Rather than buying this again, I'll probably look for another frag that has the same "vibe" but better longevity. Hopefully about half the price too.

12 July, 2009

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Mmmmm . . . Green Irish Tweed. This hyped up fragrance did not disappoint. Has a bright and fresh opening with a very unique heartnote and a very distinctive drydown. It is hard to even explain. Has to be experienced. After trying the little 1oz bottle I got from FragranceNet.com, I immediately ordered the 8oz flacon. It's WAY cheaper that way, per ounce, and I know it's one I'll want to have around like . . . forever.

Also, GIT consistently gets me the most compliments. Dance instructor, check. "Wow. You smell GOOD." Female coworker, check. Walking into the room, "Whoa. Someone in here smells AMAZING."

Bottom line: Get GIT. Can't go wrong.

12 July, 2009

Exceptional Because You Are for Men by Exceptional

Got a couple samples of this and poured them into a mini 5mL atomizer to test it out. Nice smelling. Sort of a subdued floral opening with a hint of grapefruit or something similar. Has a decent dry wood drydown. But it is kind of weak, and pretty (shall I say it?) unexceptional.

01st June, 2009

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

This is good stuff. A lot like a slightly less sweet, more herbaceous version of Lolita Lempicka. LL is like candy--sweet and fun. L'Instant is a little more complex. I like them both. But if I had to pick between the two, I'd pick L'Instant.

22 April, 2009

Realm by Realm Fragrances

I think Realm gets no respect because so many people see it as a "gimmick" fragrance. Just because they threw some estratetraenol (EST, pheromone chemical) into the mix.

First, as EST is a feminine pheromone, Realm is not intended to be a babe magnet. Rather, at such low levels, the pheromone would only cause what are known as self-effects, EST acting as a calming and focusing agent (Androstadienone has similar effects on women).

As for the fragrance itself, it is rather nice. Very decent sillage and longevity. The scent is somewhat linear, but rich, classy, and romantic.

The ginger is prominent, without making Realm smell like ginger bread the way Gucci Envy tends to (though that one is nice too), as the florals, herbals, and vanilla balance the ginger nicely.

29 January, 2009

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

I like Mania. I rather wish that these were starred reviews instead of thumbs up, thumbs down, or "meh . . ."

This is a fragrance that I don't get super-excited about, but I find pleasant enough to wear, and to even buy again.

Mania has a fresh herbal opening, with a lot of lift. I guess I can sort of smell the cedar/vetiver middle, but it's pretty subtle to me. The dry-down is a light spicy musk that reminds me of the dry down in Azzaro Visit, but lighter and with less punch. After a few minutes a the amber starts to peek through, but it never becomes a really dominant note. The musk rules.

Over all, a very nice casual fragrance. Something nice for everyday wear that's interesting enough not to be totally pedestrian. It could sort of work for date wear as well, but I would go with something more bold like Emporio Armani Night.

27 January, 2009

Black Diamond by Canali

A smooth, rich, musky-sweet fragrance with a leathery edge. I don't get the spice so much. The citrus makes itself known with the initial blast, but settles quickly. The combination of florals and fruits work well as heart notes to ensure a silky smooth transition from each stage to the next, while the leather and musk make sure you don't forget that this frag is for a man.

I've been looking for a good evening fragrance that lived up to it's "black" presentation for a while now. I have found two now. This one, and Emporio Armani Night. Black Diamond is more formal, inviting you in with refined taste and good proper etiquette. Emporio Night appeals to the more primal instincts.

I appreciate both.

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Old dried fruit. That's all I get from this. Maybe a bit of leather too, but that just makes it smell dirty. Polo Black is kind of a disappointment, to put it mildly. With the designation "black" I was hoping for a decent evening frag. But I find this totally unwearable.

360 Degrees Red for Men by Perry Ellis

I don't really "get" 360 Red. It's alright for a spring or summer day. The cinnamon is fresh, but drowns out the other notes to me. Makes me feel like I'm smelling like fresh Big Red. I'll wear what I've got unless I sell or trade it, but won't buy again.

Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

Opium EDP is hands-down the most complex frag I have ever owned. There is a lot going on here. This stuff smells amazing . . . on paper. On me, not so much.

Make sure to sample this one (as with ANY of the others in the YSL Opium line) before diving in. I so wanted to like this. But on me, it's too incensy, too spicy, and too hot. It also has crazy monster sillage and the longevity of a Taoist monk, so I can't wear it just for my own enjoyment. At age 28, I think I am too young for this one. Maybe in about 30 years.

Emporio Armani Night He by Giorgio Armani

At first this hits me with a peppery-sweet accord that immediately reminds me of the best of the Axe body sprays. Better than that, of course, but that's what it brought to mind.

But then just a few seconds later it settles down on my skin and . . . YUM! Amber, cedar, spice, and leather. Those aren't the listed notes here, but that's what I smell. Has just the right amount of bitter to balance the sweetness. This stuff is amazing. Love it.

19 January, 2009

Zegna Intenso by Ermenegildo Zegna

Doesn't smell bad. But not nearly as interesting as either Code or Lolita Lempicka. I'll wear it, but I won't buy it again. Go with Code for more spice and LL for more floral. Zegna Intenso is both of those, minus what makes them interesting.

09 January, 2009

Visit by Azzaro

Apparently I like nutmeg. Everyone talks about how powerful Visit is, but to me it seems sort of fresh and light. Could be just me. I catch the nutmeg and the pepper, and just a bit of woods, but not much else.

I like using this as a more casual frag. I dunno . . . is that weird?

18 September, 2008

Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland

Mmmm . . . I like this one. Don't let Basenotes' incomplete pyramid put you off. There is definitely more going on in this frag than just musk and citrus. In fact, the citrus is very subdued. I catch notes of oakmoss and maybe patchouli with the musk. Just enough to give it a bit of a woody undertone.

If I had to use one word to describe St Patrick, it would be "round." I don't know why. This is just a deep full-bodied fragrance with no sharp edges, but keeps its masculinity because of an absence of any dominant floral notes.

Longevity is decent and sillage is more than decent. Nothing weak about this one, but not overpowering either. St. Patrick is labeled as a "cologne," but could easily be an EDT.

18 September, 2008

Envy for Men by Gucci

Wow. This stuff is good. I definitely catch the ginger and woods, and just a hint of nutmeg. Classy without being overbearing and stodgy. The stuff lasts ALL DAY. I spritzed about three sprays to chest/neck and split-wrist in the morning and it stayed with me until quitting time at work. This is a good thing since it smells great. Every time I caught a whiff of it I could smell it from a slightly different angle, if you know what I mean.

17 September, 2008

L'Essence de Déclaration by Cartier

Whoa. I think this my be my current favorite. It is the deepest most woody frag I have tried, though my experience is admittedly limited. However, I have built a decent collection in the past few months, and Declaration Essence definitely stands out.

The bottle is definitely cool, although I have a tester which has the "not for sale" text printed all over the front (as opposed to a sticker, which can easily be removed).

Declaration Essence opens with a round and gentle citric rush, but the woods are apparent along with the top notes immediately. The citrus fades into a subtle hint and the spicy woods take over. I think I might detect a bit of amber in there too, and Fragrantica shows amber in the pyramid. I don't know what their source is. The notes on the bottle don't match the Basenotes pyramid either. Drydown is extremely woody and warm. But it has lots of class, bringing to mind more fine furniture than carpentry workshop.

This frag has both projection and longevity in spades. It hangs around for a few hours on my skin, and for me that is a long time.

Now I'm interested in trying more Cartier frags, particularly the LE Declaration Essence. This has been described as lighter than the original Declaration, so I probably won't go there, as this frag I think is as potent as I'd want to get. Any heavier would be overpowering.

Declaration Essence will definitely have a permanent place in my wardrobe.

01st July, 2008

Paradox for Men Green by Jacomo

This is great stuff. Bought it blind, and I don't regret it. Has a nice fresh opening with a subtle woody-musky drydown that sticks around for a while. The citrus is somewhat subdued and fresh rather than sharp, and they are balanced well with the other notes.

I could do with it being a little stronger. I have to spray a few times to get the desired effect, so it's a good thing it's not too expensive.

10th April, 2008