Reviews by Bigsly

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

Uomo by Valentino

Beyond sweet gourmand there is this scent. It's olfactory abuse in a bottle. From what I can remember, it's closest to Cadillac, and certainly not Dior Homme (never tried DH Intense). There are strong aroma chemicals, but they are dominated by what comes across to me as candy or food flavorings amplified to the extreme. I wear gourmands regularly (A*Men, Play Intense, So New York, Rochas Man, Pi, etc.), but this one goes where no man should ever venture (just kidding, of course). On the other hand, if you want to announce your arrival from a mile away, this may be your best choice!

09th November, 2014

Sculpture Homme by Nikos

What you get:

1. An inexpensive but decent Minotaure type of scent.
    2. A tobacco-like effect, presumably due to cedar and tonka.
    3. At least good longevity and projection/sillage.
    4. Ingredients that don't scream "chemical soup."
    5. Intelligent composition.

What you don't get:

1. Soapy fougere or super-musky "cologne guy" effect.
    2. Too much sweetness.
    3. "Rough edges."
    4. High prices.
    5. Bad sprayer or cheap bottle.

01st October, 2014

Stardust for Men by Llewelyn

I first sampled this as a newbie, and at the time my sense of smell was quite sensitive. This came across as harsh and discordant. Now I realize that was just the top notes, but these days I enjoy that lime/nutmeg/pine combination. For me, this does what GIT does, but in a more original, and hence more enjoyable way. There are so many violet leaf/lavender type scents, and yet few like this one. However, to me the best part is the drydown, which again is similar in "feel" to GIT but doesn't seem to have much dihydromyrcenol. Somehow, Stardust does what so many "dihydromyrcenol overload" scents fail to do, that is, create a slightly creamy ("crowd pleasing"), aromatic, and natural smelling effect, while possessing good note separation and dynamism. The sandalwood note is fairly good, but I don't get clear leather (and it's certainly not too sweet). In a sense, this is Aventus for those who have some measure of "maturity" (in terms of how scents are often classified by age). Overall, I consider this quite an achievement and I can't think of anything that is on this level. Oscar for Men (1999) had a similar idea, but feels rather heavy, muddled, and indistinct by comparison (and I consider Oscar to be quite good).

Top notes: Mexican Lime, Mediterranean Lemon, Siberia fire needle, shaved nutmeg.

Middle notes: Jasmine, sandalwood, Indonesian Patchouli.

Base notes: Bourbon Vanilla, creamy amber, and impressions of leather.

24th September, 2014 (Last Edited: 08th October, 2014)

Henry Cotton's in Green by Henry Cotton's

The Estonian site lists incense as a base note rather than olibanum, but that may be a "lost in translation" situation. In any case, this begins with a clear fougere accord but it's accompanied by a minty quality. Because of that, the fougere accord never becomes irritating, as I find that it often does. On some level this is like Francesco Smalto Pour Homme (1987), but this one is drier and isn't as smoky. Moreover, FSPH is one of those scents with a fougere accord that scorches the olfactory earth, so I generally don't have much interest in wearing it. What happens in this scent, by contrast, is that as the mint loses its potency, a dry, herbal/incense type of quality comes forward, and it too has the effect of preventing the fougere accord from becoming irritating. It's not too musky, and definitely isn't too sweet. There's not obvious aroma chemical element to this one either. I like to think of this as a niche fougere, actually, due to its unique qualities. This is not a grassy green - if you want something like that, try Bobby Jones Cologne.

24th May, 2014

Rebel for Men by James Dean

Not sure if the one I tried is Rebel or Rebel 2, or if there is a difference. The one I tried begins with a mild, melon-like quality and that lasts quite a while but slowly gets weaker. It's reasonably natural smelling but not something I enjoy. I never got any "deep, dark" base, as others have claimed, and I don't want to spray more because I don't like the melon (I used two sprays to the chest). I have a feeling it won't be strong enough for the people who like these melon type scents and others will either not like it or think it uninteresting. At the low prices I see it selling for now, it's certainly a good deal for those who can enjoy it. Since I don't enjoy it, I'll give it a neutral. Longevity seems to be at least good, though it never seemed especially strong.

18th May, 2014

Cadillac Coupe by Cadillac

Unlike the other person who reviewed this, I get no bitter tobacco nor smoky leather, and I think it's far from being anything like Bogart Pour Homme or Macassar, so perhaps there were different formulations of it. I do agree that there is no iso e super nor "laundry musk" overload here. If tobacco is present it is the most subtle I've encountered so far, and I'm a tobacco scent fan. Instead, this is quite similar to Jacomo for Men (2007), though with a couple of different notes. On the box, coumarin is listed, and there is a gourmand-ish fougere accord here, though mild. Also, there isn't much note separation , though it is reasonably natural smelling. It reminds me of another scent too, perhaps U Ungaro Him, but I can't remember for sure. Just so long as you aren't expecting the richness and depth of vintage, you may be pleasantly surprised, especially at current prices. I also have bottles of the original Cadillac and Cadillac Extreme, and those are crude and loud by comparison to this one, though I might like those better for that very reason! However, relative to most designer releases of recent years, this one compares favorably, generally-speaking of course. It would likely work well for "romantic" occasions but it seems a bit too subtle for the 20-something party scene. And I don't think it would work well in hot weather.

16th May, 2014

British Sterling by Dana

I first tried a Dana formulation that is several years old and then an original. The smell, at least beyond the top notes, is similar, but the original has more depth and complexity to it (it also lasts longer). It's simple yet the quality of the ingredients must be what makes it so enjoyable! Basically, it's a vanillic/spicy/musky scent with a hint of wood (just a bit sweet). If you think a scent like Jaipur Homme is great you might want to give this one a try. There's something in Jaipur that doesn't work for me (I think it's a synthetic wood molecule used), but this one is just right. Moreover, you could use this for layering. You can still get Mem or Speidel formulations on ebay for reasonable prices, if you have some patience.

09th May, 2014

Preferred Stock by Coty

I would call this Preferred Red, because it is like a simplified version of vintage Red for Men by Giorgio of Beverly Hills. I do think this is better than the new version of Red for Men, but I'm giving it a neutral for lack of originality. If Red wasn't released first, I would give this a positive rating. It's a more "mature" scent, but not too "old" (not that it matters to me), and the ingredients seem at least good (for a "cheapo"). However, because I already have enough vintage Red to last me a long time, what can I do with this other than put it on my swap list?

01st May, 2014

Les Notes de Lanvin : Oud & Rose by Lanvin

The listed notes for this one seem to be patchouli, rose absolute, oud wood, and skin musk. I'm not an oud fan and have disliked the acrid note in some of the Montale oud scents I've tried. That's not the kind of oud you get here. In fact, it reminds me of wormwood more than anything else. If you want Ungaro I but can't afford it this might work for you, actually. I don't get much patchouli either, and the rose is subdued and subordinated to the wormwood tinted oud note. Fortunately, there is no major iso e super or any harshness, though if you hate all wood notes this probably won't work for you. I'm really surprised at how "high quality" this feels. I don't know what the original retail prices were, but some have said it was selling for $14.99 at discounters! I took a chance on this one (cost me more than that), and I'm really glad I did! Longevity is outstanding and projection ("sillage") is just right.

23rd March, 2014

Bois Precieux by Molinard

I agree with what's been said so far but will add that many will perceive this as "powdery,' though that's not meant to be a criticism. It's also clearly vanillic. If you like those qualities then that's great, of course. It's certainly at least reasonably natural smelling and lasts well. Projection ("sillage") is easy to control by how much you spray. My thought is that this might be something special if a bit of something else was added, and I'm thinking about civet in particular (synthetic - I'm not advocating animal abuse!). So, this is a lot more like Kenzo's Amour EdP than I would like it to be, for example, but I wouldn't say it has any "flaws;" it's just that relative to what I already owed when I bought it, I wish it had been a bit more unique.

17th January, 2014

Black Suede by Avon

My review is for a vintage bottle. I don't understand comparisons to Aramis, as it lacks the leathery and floral qualities (and also lacks the aldehydes of Aramis). Nor does it have any herbal qualities. Other than perhaps in the fleeting top notes, this is mostly spicy and ambery, and it gets a bit powdery as time goes on (but not outrageously so). There is mild wood but not major leathery aspect at all; overall it's natural smelling. I don't get any fougere element and it's not too sweet. There's just a bit of musk but I certainly wouldn't call this a "musk scent." It's simple but effective, though since it could get boring I'd rather wear this on days when I'm not going to pay much attention to the scent I apply, and I'd also suggest wearing this in cooler weather.

08th December, 2013

Cigar Aficionado by Cigar Aficionado

Excellent quality for the price.

Note that I think this is a different scent from Cigar by Remy Latour but I haven't tried that bottle design. In any case, this is very rich in patchouli and there's quite a bit of amber. In some ways it is reminiscent of Borneo 1834, though this one came first. Borneo is drier than this one, and perhaps not as sweet, but otherwise there are distinct similarities. I'm guessing there is spice and a bit of tobacco here, but the softened/sweetened patchouli is the most obvious element. Unlike A*Men, it is not vanillic, and isn't that sweet. This is not at all like Cuba Red, which is dry/spicy and quite woody (and a bit "synthetic"), other than perhaps mild tobacco notes. This is well worth the money, unless it's been reformulated badly of course, though if you want a more balanced scent with tobacco (rather than one like this that is patchouli-dominant), the new formulation of Vermeil might be better (for this price range). Projection ("sillage") is moderate (spraying more might help) but longevity seems at least good.

Pros: Inexpensive but reasonable quality.
    Cons: Not for patchouli haters and don't expect a lot of tobacco here."

15th September, 2013

Quartz pour Homme by Molyneux

Too much "fresh" aroma chemicals for me.

Let me say right up front that I can handle and even appreciate the "fresh" aroma chemicals in this one, but there is too much of them and not enough of the notes I was hoping to smell. I'm especially disappointed by the base, which is hardly present or being dominated by the "freshness." I'm thinking a reformulation was done and that I have the new one, because this doesn't seem like much of an effort. Moreover, there are so many other "fresh" ones I'd rather wear (even Baryshnikov Sport) that I don't see myself doing anything other than trying to swap off my 100 ml bottle of this one, especially consider I don't wear these kinds of fresh scent often in the first place!

Pros: Good for office/school type settings, especially in warm weather.
    Cons: Too unbalanced for me."

09th July, 2013

Butterfly Flower by Bath and Body Works

A good compromise between smelling too "old" or too "young.";

I have the EdT, and I can understand the appeal of this one, though if you smell it up close on the skin it has an odd, latex-like quality. It's not too sweet, or floral, or fruity. Instead, it's a very nice, balanced composition, without the "symphonic" quality of many older florals (so it doesn't come across as "old lady"). I see this as excellent for the office or school, particularly in warmer weather. I have a bit over an ounce I can swap, as it's not "unisex" enough for me (USA only).

"

12th June, 2013

The One Gentleman by Dolce & Gabbana

What if this was Coromandel Pour Monsieur and marketed by Chanel instead of D&G ?

Have you tried the original Prada, marketed to women? Have you tried Coromandel? This is basically a "masculine" version of that kind of idea. Though not listed among the notes, there seems to be a touch of something resinous in the base. Also, it gives off a slight orange vibe, which is likely the effect of this combination of notes, or at least some of them. The color of the liquid makes no sense to me, but in any case you don't have to fear an overload of calone, iso e super, etc. Also, the patchouli is clearly present but not too strong, as it often is for me. TOG is a variation on a theme scent, but for me it is perhaps the best variation on this theme! I generally prefer complex scents but I think I'll enjoy this one every couple of months, as the ingredient quality seems good enough to generate a pleasurable experience despite the simplicity. I get adequate projection ("sillage") with a couple sprays to the chest and longevity is excellent but this is definitely not a "party boy" scent, so don't worry about it smelling like 1 Million or many of the ones that smell similar. Instead, this seems like it was meant for those who actually understand scents and know what they are seeking. Imagine that in a recent designer scent !

Pros: Natural-smelling, rich, balanced, and reasonably-priced.
    Cons: Not for those who seek complex scents, nor unique ones.

03rd June, 2013

H2 by Hummer

Do you like Allure Homme but you're short on cash? Give this one a chance! No nasty laundry musk here either, though I'm not saying ingredient quality is better overall. Not exactly the same but close enough for me. I'm not a big fan of this sort of composition because the notes seem to stick together, so to speak, but I like this as a change of pace once in a long while. The top notes are quite good and the drydown is pleasant but light. It's in the middle where it comes across as not entirely natural but that doesn't last very long. This is not at all "green" nor "ozonic" nor aquatic. It's spicy/sweet/fruity. The fruit is citrus-based. The base has some amber, patchouli, and incense. There's supposed to be wood and leather but I have yet to detect them. If you've tried Messe de Minuit think of a light, smoothed out version of the base there (and not as natural smelling). Sure if they would have used niche-quality ingredients this might have been great, but that's not the way it goes. Instead, the money was spend on the bottle and packaging instead, I'd guess.

16th April, 2013

Halston Limited by Halston

This dries down to a floral chypre type scent, though without the strong aldehydes of the "feminine" ones from the 1970s. There is a bit of castoreum, but certainly nothing like other "masculines" of that period, such as Salvador Dali Pour Homme. It's on the dry side and without much in the way of sweetness, with minor support from herbs and spices. This is for someone who wants a very smooth yet complex chypre that doesn't possess strong aldhehydes. I'm speaking of the drydown here because I have a splash bottle and it's got a very small hole in the plastic insert, so I just let a little dribble out onto the skin. With this application I don't get much in the way of top notes. If you want something sweeter and more floral in a "powdery" way (in a masculine of that period), there is Ho Hang Club, but then you give up the dry chypre structure.

31st March, 2013 (Last Edited: 16th August, 2014)

Wild Spice for Men by Coty

The drydown is somewhat similar to London for Men by Burberry. You get dry/woody, leathery, and sweet/vanillic elements to complement the spices. The balance seems better than in London and it doesn't smell "synthetic" either. This was made at a time when being a "drugstore fragrance" didn't mean the quality suffered, it seems. This is one "cheapo" that can compete with designer scents of today, that's for sure, just don't expect exciting top notes.

21st February, 2013

Fire & Ice for Men by Revlon

I acquired a vintage splash bottle of this one recently (3 ounces or 100 ml). An older woman I asked about it said it smelled very feminine. In any case, it is sweet of course but not outrageously so. Think of Dior Homme without the tobacco note and without the powdery iris. Now add a touch of an icy quality. And there you have this one. It's smooth/creamy and reasonably natural smelling. It may get cloying after a while but only did a dab sampling, and it seemed very strong. If you have a spray bottle I suggest misting the air and walking through it on your first wearing. I have to give this a positive review because it's different, pleasant, and probably wearable for the right occasion and if applied appropriately.

23rd November, 2012

Tattoo pour Homme by Michel Germain

I don't get much other than the amber. There seems to be a bit of the tobacco but that's about it. Yes, this comes across as the "poor man's" version of the A*Men base, though without patchouli, it seems. It does smell nice, with just the slightest hint of of a "synthetic" candy quality. Certainly if you can get it cheap and want something like this it's likely you'll be satisfied, just don't expect niche here. I've got the bottle pictured above, but it's possible the other bottle represents a different fragrance, for all I know.

18th October, 2012

Pierre Cardin Musk by Pierre Cardin

The major elements of this scent include herbal lavender and sage, dry leather, and anisic amber. I'd also say some spice is here but it's blended into the mix so it has a creamy quality. This is not sweet and the animalic quality is not too obvious. Not any muskier than typical men's fragrances of that period, so I don't get the name. Starkness is the word that best describes this one, so if you only like "fresh" or "sporty" scents this is not for you. It's rather linear and slowly fades out over time. If you are going to a rodeo, this one would be appropriate to wear. A few too many notes to be niche but not that far off.

13th October, 2012 (Last Edited: 13th February, 2013)

Yang by Jacques Fath

I have the new version, which may explain the diverse reviews. To me, the drydown on this is more along the lines who talk about tea with jam and honey. I don't get strong wood or any kind of "lotion" quality. It doesn't smell "dirty" or animalic in any way. If it's smoky that must in the top notes, and I get little if any citrus. It's not musky and the spices are gentle/subtle. It smells very pleasant and the sweetness doesn't get cloying. There is no nasty synthetic musk used, nor do I detect iso e super. Projection was at least good and longevity was excellent. More for the niche crowd and certainly has unisex potential.

01st September, 2012

Discover by Juvena

Very similar to Samba Kiss Me for Men. Not sure which came first. Basically, it's highly blended so it comes across as one accord. There is citrus, woodiness, and spices, with moderate sweetness. It feels dense and smooth. If you are used to fragrances like Opium Pour Homme EdP, you might find this one a bit basic or uninteresting, but it's certainly not bad for the non-aficionado who wants something a little different than fresh, fruity, sporty, aquatic, super-sweet ones.

13th August, 2012

Mauboussin Homme by Mauboussin

As usual I avoided the top notes as much as possible. Without much of them, this begins like Third Man (the newest formulation). Over time, it becomes more like the Gucci Envy for Men crowd (which includes Carven Homme, ST Dupont Signature Pour Homme, L'Occitane's Vetyver, and probably several others I haven't tried), with a touch of Blv Notte Pour Homme, over time. Ingredient quality seems decent, though not at the niche level. I'll likely try it again during cold weather. Longevity and projection ("sillage") seemed very good with minimal application. Note separation and originality are below par; complexity and dynamism are reasonable but don't inspire. Current prices are low so this may be a good substitute for those who like Third Man and Envy but don't want to buy both.

27th July, 2012

Lancetti Monsieur by Lancetti

This starts off smelling very herbal/green, almost like oregano (think pizza), with a minor citrus element. A slight soapiness develops, so perhaps there's some lavender in here, but that then blends into the drydown, which is a softer version of the opening. There may be some wood and moss, but it's mostly a dry herbal fragrance. It's not sweet, floral, spicy, or aquatic (apparently, this was released in 1995). I don't detect any patchouli, leather, or tobacco. Some mind find it slightly powdery. The closest fragrance to this one that I've tried is Baime, but this doesn't have the fruit notes of Baime, and is a softer blend. It seems like few people like these fragrances, but LM is for the aficionado who wants a dry fragrance where herbs are the star of the show. Longevity is very good and projection ("sillage") is just right, IMO.

09th June, 2012

Maharanih by Nicolaï

Wow, look at the negative and mediocre reviews, yet Ungaro II is so popular in the BN world! Basically, this is a simpler version of Ungaro II, and it seems more "natural" smelling to me. Every time I wear that Ungaro there is something about it that bothers me, that doesn't feel right. Maharanih, on the other hand, feels just right. If you don't like civet stay away, but if you like "old school" orientals and want a more focused one, this may be one to sample.

20th April, 2012

MCM 24 Morning by MCM

This isn't a bad frag. It's in that Molto Smalto, Eternity for Men, Ungaro III range. Think of Molto Smalto, but not as rich and without the powdery sandalwood. Now ask yourself why you would want that. In other words, the other ones have something to offer that goes beyond this one. It is natural smelling, and I don't think you have to worry about reformulations, so that's something to consider. My favorite from this group is Molto Smalto, which has a fabulous, balanced drydown that lasts a long time. Morning is a "one hit wonder" kind of fragrance (it has no flaws), but there are plenty of other bands playing similar songs that have a few hits, at least.

18th December, 2011

Incense Oud by By Kilian

A woody/peppery rose with an oud accent. There is absolutely nothing in this formulation that I enjoy. It's not unpleasant, like some oud fragrances (in how harsh they can be), but this is more of something I'd rather just sample on a strip then throw it away a minute later. For rose, I really enjoy fragrances like Rose d'Homme or Royal Secret for Men, and I generally avoid oud fragrances, though it's acceptable here. Perhaps this is a good fragrance if you want to "make an impression" but I can't think of the social occasion this would be appropriate for, especially if you are a man. Is this what billionaires smell like these days? Not ever been in a room with one, I couldn't say. My guess is that the hardcore oud or woody/rose crowd would think this a bit too shy, but that's based on very limited experience. Cabaret (the women's version) would be a reasonable substitute for this one, in order to conserve my money, if I wanted something like this (and as I said, I don't need the oud note). It's not bad, and I won't take price into account, so I'll give it a neutral.

24th November, 2011

El Paso by Lomani

Starts out like Pino Silvestre (must be the thyme especially) and soon transitions into a fragrance very similar to Cool Water (which I really dislike). Longevity and projection ("sillage") seems to be mediocre, but I didn't apply enough to really tell because I didn't want more of a dab of it on me (so that I wouldn't have to smell it much). It might be a bit more complex and interesting than Cool Water, but I just don't want to subject myself to too much of it. I'll give it a neutral because it's cheap and isn't horrifically "chemical" or anything like that. I can't give it a positive because I find these kinds of fragrances to be "blobs" that don't smell especially pleasant. This might be a great gift for someone who doesn't know much about fragrances if you don't want to spend much money.

15th November, 2011

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

I gave the EA version a regular wearing today (1 spray to chest), and I've never tried the original one. It's probably strong enough for me, but I won't go to two sprays because I find that this kind of frag can nauseate me. I think it's the combination of patchouli, amber, and wood, especially cedar. Here, there is sandalwood and cedar listed as notes, but they must be very mild, because barely detect anything resembling wood and this frag doesn't bother me too much. There is also the possibility that it's too blended, because the new Givenchy Gentleman doesn't seem to bother me. Givenchy Gentleman has better note separation, so right now I'd guess it's the blending that is most likely to blame.

Anyway, Giorgio for Men does seem strong enough, but I could certainly imagine it being stronger (in the original formulation). It has a bit of that "synthetic"/rubbery amber thing going that's common in many older frags, but it's not too bad. This is not really the kind of frag I enjoy most these days, but it does seem to be at least a decent formulation, unlike some others I've encountered. Over time, I find myself enjoying more. It seems to come together nicely, a sort of orange-tinted, vanillic, herbal-tinged, mildly sweet/ambery and mossy fragrance. Longevity is excellent and projection ("sillage") is moderate to good with one spray. Considering the prices for this new version, I think it should be considered an excellent deal, though not for those who don't like "old school" fragrances.

15th October, 2011