Reviews by Bigsly

Oland by Avon

On at least one other site the notes are listed as: "The fragrance features bay leaf, spices, woody notes, tobacco and leather."

On one level it's like Kouros Lite, but it's more leather-oriented and becomes more powdery after a while. I don't get much spice here, though, unlike Kouros, and there also seems to be a hint of tobacco. I don't get much top notes but the drydown is great, if this is the kind of scent you enjoy (and it's entirely natural smelling). This is my favorite Avon fragrance, and they have made quite a few that are at least good, such as Mesmerize for Men and Clint.
29th March, 2019

Spirited by Perry Ellis

I didn't get a Red Delicious Men quality from this one, unlike the other two reviewers. Instead, it's got a vegetal quality one finds in Egoiste Platinum, but that doesn't last long. There's some fruitiness, woodiness, and musk. I didn't get much in the way of spice, nor is there ever much tonka (and it's not sweet). However, after an hour or so the wood totally dominates, and it's quite dry. Overall, I don't think you can expect it to be more natural-smelling at these prices. And I think it would be great for layering purposes. So, I can certainly see why an aficionado might think this one is boring, but it has its uses for some of us, and if you want a cheap but decent dry wood scent (that lasts and isn't overloaded with obvious aroma chemicals) you might be surprised at how well this one fits the bill!
30th November, 2018

In New York by Van Cleef & Arpels

I'm not a fan of these kinds of fragrances, so keep that in mind. I had a bottle of Bleu de Chanel EdP and swapped it off, because I hardly ever wore it. I've got others of this type too, which I acquired in lot purchases, as I did my In New York bottle. Also, I was hoping for something a bit ambery or vanillic, but never got more than the slightest hint of such a note. Still, it has a zingy citrus quality backed by some obvious, but complimentary aroma chemicals, so that I don't mind keeping it for the rare occasions when I'd like to wear it (I'd also compare it to Club de Nuit Intense for Men, at least the general idea). I can't really give it a negative or neutral because I think it does what is expected of such a scent (and it's got good projection and longevity). A good "all rounder" for the "modern man" and it didn't cost me much for a large bottle.
14th November, 2018

As Sawira by Penhaligon's

I have the EdP and got a great deal on a bottle. I'm glad to have it, but I do have a lot of similar fragrances that didn't cost much. What's nice about this one is how it's never harsh or one-dimensional (though I do try to avoid most of the top notes), and the balance is excellent. The drydown seems to be dominated by an ambery/oud quality. The oud isn't the cheapest type I've experienced, but it's not up there with what was supposedly better quality or real (that I've tried). The projection isn't massive, but the longevity is very good. I look forward to wearing it again (I usually discover new facets on the second or third wearing). If you can't get a good deal on a bottle or if you already have several others and it sounds like this would be similar (or dislike these kinds of scents, of course), I think a blind buy is a bad idea.
12th September, 2018

Explorer by Boadicea the Victorious

I'll give this a qualified positive review, the caveats being the price and one's preferences. For example, if a combination of vintage 1-12 (Halston), Yatagan, and Jovan's Intense Oud sounds great to you, this might be "Holy Grail" material. Of course if you only enjoy fresh, sport, and aquatic type fragrances, this one might make you nauseous. What is weird is that I have yet to read a review that mentions lavender, and it's not listed as a note, but it plays a fairly major role here. It's not "Irish Spring" soapy, nor herbal, but rather powdery (I guess in conjunction with the orris). Because of this, it has a retro quality, though it has a kind of industrial quality that one doesn't find in vintage until we get to Fahrenheit (not that it's the same type of industrial). The lavender seems to clash a bit with the other notes, so I wish they had used a different note, or just taken it down substantially. It's not sweet or syrupy, but I don't get much in the way of wood or citrus either. In terms of composition, it reminds me a bit of Horizon Extreme (Davidoff), though that one is missing the lavender and isn't as strong. I intend to try Explorer again, with only half a spritz just above the navel, to see if I get a different impression, and I'll update this review at that point.
17th August, 2018

Sandalwood by Yardley

I think of this as a cross between vintage Brut and Egoiste. Also, I think Colours for Men by Alexander Julian wasn't too far from this one. As another reviewer said, it has the dry/sandalwood element but also a creamy one that is a bit "dirty" and there's some minty type lavender in here too. I don't get strong citrus so that may be just in the top notes. Overall, it's nicely done but definitely "mature." It lasts well, with a bit of a musky quality providing at least decent projection. I doubt this will be made again, other than in a drastic reformulation, so if you see it at a good price I wouldn't hesitate, if you enjoy these kinds of fragrances.
31st July, 2018

Dark Rebel by John Varvatos

Wow! Just like Dark Rebel Rider, some of the reviews for this are far removed from my perceptions. First, I don't get much "darkness" here, nor anything medicinal or industrial. And while I get the tobacco note, it's not of the cherry pipe tobacco variety. It's dry and "brown." Mostly I get the sugar note and tobacco, along with some aroma chemicals, possibly a bit of iso e super and one or more "woody/ambers." And it's not weak at all, leading me to think that those who think it is are anosmic to the long-lasting aroma chemicals used. The closest scent I can think of to DR is Joop! Homme Wild, in terms of the far drydown. It is niche-like, and I got a great deal in a swap for the large size bottle, so I'm quite content, though I thought it would be more complex (I don't get the castoreum, for example). I think DRR is superior, though, because it's more unique, more natural smelling, and more complex. The two are quite different from each other, so I think DRR should have been called something unique, Dirty Rider or whatever.
22nd July, 2018

Dark Rebel Rider by John Varvatos

I find the negative reviews to be amusing, sort of a version of the old story of the three blind men touching the elephant in different areas and coming to wildly different conclusions about what it is. Here, we have a scent with quite a bit of marjoram, as is listed in the notes, and I suspect that is what is confusing people. If you haven't smelled marjoram, I suggest you do before buying this fragrance. It's quite strong at first and then it balanced out with a "dirty" gourmand type base, very interesting and I can't think of anything remotely like this. I disagree that there is a lot of patchouli here, nor do I think it is anything like Dirty English (at least the vintage bottle I had). And I have no idea why someone would call it headache inducing, because it's not that strong - just use one spray to begin with! Also, how about looking at the bottle and the name, and asking yourself if this is the kind of scent you want. Don't assume it's some lame/generic/bland woody/oriental that you've smell a million times before. And why is someone saying they want a campfire type note? We've got that already in several other releases, but we don't have a dirty oriental with a clear marjoram note. This is a niche type scent which is selling for very little now - do you really want to look this gift horse in the mouth? And it's got decent longevity too!
30th June, 2018

Black is Black Modern Oud by Nuparfums

This begins with an obvious and old type synthetic element but that then dissipates over time. It's a little sweet and definitely powdery, but that does seem natural (unlike, say, a "laundry musk" type of quality). The spice and lavender are light, and there's not much of anything else here, except for something that does make it work (almost oakmoss-ish). I paid around $6.50 for a new 100 ml bottle so I can't complain, as the drydown could pass for a niche scent, albeit not of the most interesting or unique sort. Strength is at least reasonable. Overall, if you don't need "nice" top notes and the drydown sounds good to you, there's not much risk involved. You might have something with a similar drydown, but for me that's not necessarily bad, because it allows one to swap or sell off something that costs a lot more, thereby maximizing value of your rotation, in terms of what you are seeking.
24th January, 2018

Viking by Creed

This is a "busy" fragrance, reminding me of vintage Zino in that way. Mint and what I call a "chemical wood" element are most obvious at first. There's a bit of sharpness, which I assume is the pepper, along with vague florals, citrus, and amber. There isn't much sweetness nor muskiness now. The wood continues in strength but the mint more or less disappears within several minutes. Saltiness makes itself felt, and after that (not sure how long), there's the resemblance to Pasha, though with the saltiness added (good call by the person who first suggested this!), but the "chemical wood" remains strong. I had no idea I was sampling Viking when I first did, because someone had sent me the sample and I thought it was a unisex scent, which was likely enhanced by the fact that I had sampled vintage Born Wild Men by Ed Hardy a few days earlier (and that one has a monstrous wood note of a similar charter, though it's missing the several minutes of mint and the saltiness). The claims about this being a fougere are likely from the Pasha type quality, but as someone who tends to dislike fougeres, I don't consider Viking to be one. The next day I smelled the clothing that had come into contact with where I sprayed Viking and it reminded me of VC&A's In New York (citrus, pepper, spice, "chemical wood"), and I found it to be most pleasant in this way. Aside from telling people you are wearing Creed's Viking, I don't understand why someone would pay more than say $70 per 100 ml for this, though I wouldn't pay that much, mostly because these kinds of scents don't appeal to me and I wear them very rarely (and already have a few bottles, such as 125 ml of In New York, 100 ml of Born Wild, etc.). I don't think many people are wearing In New York these days, so if you want to be "unique" that one much function just as well as Viking. I'm not giving it a neutral because it's so expensive but rather because it moves around so much and yet doesn't do anything novel, along with how strong and "chemical" smelling that wood note is.
05th December, 2017

Black is Black by Nuparfums

This review is for Red is Black, same company and bottle design. There's a cherry-ish quality and it's not too sweet, nor ambery, nor vanillic. It's linear and thoroughly blended, so you might not be able to detect more than a few notes. The wood is just slight background texture, at best. However, this smells natural and is pleasant, so while it likely won't interest the niche crowd, it can be used for layering purposes, which is how I intend to use it for a while (with scents that are too weak especially). Overall, considering the really low prices, I'm very glad to have 100 ml of it!
05th November, 2017

Black is Black Sport for Men by Nuparfums

I've seen it selling for around $7 for 100 ml so keep that in mind. The drydown is mostly mint and a vetiver/woody quality, very dry, "chemical dry" I'd say. It's almost like a really weak niche scent, but spraying more definitely helps a lot, so if this is what you want, it's a bargain. If you are very sensitive to iso e super or dry woody aroma chemicals, this might not be for you, though.
04th November, 2017

Aventus by Creed

The French apples really makes this scent. If the apples were from anywhere else, there's no way anyone would like this one, I'm convinced. Have you ever eaten a French apple? If not, you are missing one of the greatest experiences of your life! Seriously, it's okay. I've got some clones of it and a decant, not sure which batch, but don't care. Do I rate it higher than something like the humble (and vintage formulation) of Uomo? Moschino? No, that's a lot more interesting/dynamic and they are both similar in terms of the occasions, weather, etc. in which I'd wear these types of scents. It's the ultimate "hype train" scent, but that doesn't bother me, and I understand that few people want to do a lot of sampling/comparing. I'd give it a neutral if retail price is taken into account, at best, but I'll rate it a weak positive for the scent itself.
22nd July, 2017

Les Copains L'Homme by Les Copains

This is a review for Les Copains Homme, which was released in 1990. The Estonia fragrance site has the notes for that one as:

Basil, thyme, artemisia, bergamot.

Laurel, carnation, coriander, peru balsam, geranium, jasmine, rose.

Amber, castoreum, leather, moss, patchouli, incense.

It's very similar to my "semi-vintage" Yatagan, and my guess is that vintage Yatagan was like this, as it comes across as deeper and richer than the Yatagan bottle I have now. It's not exactly the same but it's so close I wonder how many would care; some may prefer this one to any formulation of Yatagan! This is really strong stuff, so don't let the floral notes fool you, as these are rather mild compared to the other notes.
22nd April, 2017

Gold Wings by Police

With about a spray and a half to the chest, I am experiencing this scent quite differently than when I did a dab sampling to the wrist and smelled up close. In both cases, though, it's rather harsh/synthetic for the first few minutes. However, it soon develops into a cool (with a minty feel) quality and the absinthe note is clear. There's a bit of that grape-like quality one finds in 1 Million and so many others, but underneath that is something like the A*Men and flankers base. It's not too sweet and it isn't animalic; claims about this being very bad are mystifying, other than for the first few minutes, which is common for inexpensive scents (apparently the top notes are where the money is mostly spent on typical designer scents of today). The lavender here is light and textural, and the patchouli is also light, though noticeable, but I don't get any strong wood note.

After perhaps a couple of hours (or less) I'm thinking this is roughly what A*Men Pure Absinthe would be, if there were such a scent. This isn't as sweet as A*Men and the base isn't as heavy. It also feels like there's a bit of 1 Million in here, though mostly it seems to be an A*Men type of base. Longevity and projection are at least very good. This is the first scent by Police I have tried, and I'm glad I decided to do a blind buy, as the "quality" of the drydown is really good, better than most recent designers that I've tried!
28th November, 2016

Sauvage by Christian Dior

To me this represents a new trend, at least in designer "masculines," which is the impersonal fragrance, something that is dominated by what you smell when you walk down the "personal care" items aisle in a supermarket ("laundry musk"). Top notes are thrown in, to at least pay respect to the idea of a personal fragrance. And a marine type element is tacked on in the drydown, for whatever reason. I won't give this a negative rating because I know I am not the "target audience" (if I smelled this at the dollar store I would not buy it, other than perhaps to use as a room spray in an old shed). It's "in your face" and clearly for the non-aficionado, so of course many in that group were hostile to it, at least at first. Here's my harshest criticism - there is no attempt to disguise the "chemical" nature of this scent, but the great accomplish of "modern perfumery" was to disguise the fact that the concoction was so synthetic. Sauvage screams out, "I am chemical, hear me roar!" Perhaps we need to start calling such scents examples of "post-modern perfumery," meaning, more or less, if you can get a lot of people to buy it then it's "art." Of course, I think that's ridiculous, but I also won't be surprised if that is the way things go!
31st August, 2016 (last edited: 23rd January, 2017)

Open White by Roger & Gallet

This isn't bad at all if it's what you're seeking. Let's begin with the notes:

Yuzu, Bergamot, Aniseed.
Frankincense, Violet.
Patchouli, Iris, Tonka bean.

With those base notes you might think it's going to be a powdery A*Men type, but this has a totally different construction. At first, it's a bit of a mess, with nasty note clashes, but that only lasts several minutes. Then it's like a light version of Lolita Lempicka au Masculin, with the aniseed being dominant, though not irritating. The other notes are largely supporting if not nearly imaginary. It is a bit sweet too, so some might say this is like anise candy. The frankincense seems to impart a hint of something ashy/dirty, but the base notes listed are barely there, at best. Projection is moderate but longevity is good to very good. So, if you've already got a licorice or anise-dominant scent you may not have a place for this one, but if you want a mild anise scent that is sweet, this is worth considering (and it's cheap - my 100 ml was less than $10 new).
21st June, 2016

L'Homme Idéal Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

This type of scent is among my favorites, but there's nothing about this one that makes it stand out from the crowd, and there certainly is a crowd at this point! Was Bogart Pour Homme the first of this type? That one is more floral but that's what makes it more interesting. These days I prefer Phoenix by Keith Urban and Dolcelisir by L`Erbolario. This is not an "understated" idea, and yet that's what Guerlain seems to have been trying to do with this one. So, it's sort of bland relative to the competition, the price is too high (for me), and it doesn't seem as strong as the others, so I think it deserves a negative rating. If Guerlain can't do better than a Bogart scent that was released a decade earlier, that's what it deserves, IMO.
20th June, 2016

Clint by Avon

Take the leather aspects of Aramis but remove most of the florals and aldehydes. Now make it more of a citrus scent, and add a touch of patchouli and a hint of woods. That's what I get from this, and it's quite pleasant. This could be a niche version of Aramis. It's funny how some "experts" are saying things like there should be a niche version of Old Spice, when you can just get some old Avon scents for little more than a song and you've got better than "niche-quality ingredients" as well!
11th June, 2016

Swiss Unlimited by Victorinox

This is really nice, at least somewhat unique and with excellent balance. The few other Victorinox scents I've tried were always too "chemical" or became that way after a while (as in 125 Year's far drydown), but this is quite pleasant/natural smelling, and I can see how some would view this as a light green/anisic version of Individuel. I wore Individuel the other day, actually, but I prefer this one to it, since it's rather unique and I also find it more pleasant. The reviews suggest that either there were different formulations, at least one being very strong or one being very weak, or a focus on top notes versus waiting for the drydown. I used to sprays to the chest and kept my shirt open, since I wasn't going out, and it was never too strong, cloying, irritating, "synthetic," etc. I enjoyed every minute of its development!
10th June, 2016

Jaguar Excellence by Jaguar

I'm the first to review this one! I thought I'd review it here in light of all the PEO:BVA hype, because this one also has light projection but at least decent longevity. I haven't tried PEO:BVA so I'm not comparing them, but this one has a little sweetness in the drydown, just as people are saying about PEO:BVA. Also, this is a very nice blend that has a niche-like drydown, with the florals providing a kind of plush/smooth quality though without any kind of "feminine" presentation (though I think more than a few women wouldn't mind wearing it). The major "wow factor" here is the price to quality ratio, and since I got it at a "super cheapo" price (less than $10 for 100 ml), this is where the comparison to PEO:BVA ends! Seriously, I'd rather buy a bunch of scents like this that just one botttle of PEO:BVA. Another scent that cost less than $10 per 100 ml was Amber for Men/Eau de Iceberg, which in fact has a clear rum note! Anyway, Excellence is very interesting in that none of the three basenotes comes through powerfully, but instead work with the florals to create a sort of hard powdery texture. I've got amber scents, vanilla scents, and tonka-dominant scents, so I certainly didn't need another. There is clearly an orange tint to this scent, and I usually dislike orange notes, but again this is about the overall blend and so it doesn't unbalance the composition. I'm surprised at how good it is, as I thought it might be similar to something like Victory League by Adidas, which isn't bad at all, but I consider Excellence a major step up from that one, and the prices aren't that different, even if you pay a bit more than I did.
03rd June, 2016

Aramis Black by Aramis

The dominant impression I get is a berry-like quality, for the first half hour or so. There's a bit of this and that too, such as some kind of "fresh" aroma chemicals, but it's pleasant on some level. Over time it gets better and it's a very nice blend, not too "synthetic" or harsh in any way. It's got a bit of a "bite," perhaps from the grapefruit or elemi or mastic or juniper, or some combination, but it's also powdery. It's not ambery, vanillic, or animalic, and it's just a touch musky (no detectable lavender). I get little sweetness here but it's not especially dry. There's no strong leather or cognac, or really much of anything. You might think that you are smelling something, but then it seems to shape shift into something else. I could see this being cloying if too much is used, but the spray is a fine mist, so you might want to use just one spray the first time. This is better than nearly all the recent "masculine" designers I've tried, but I can't say I am nearly certain I will like it in subsequent wearing. However, it's possibly I'll really enjoy it in the future, so I'll have to update this review at that time. As another reviewer says, there isn't much if any similarity to Aramis, but this is certainly not like the calone-rich New West for Him, IMO.
19th May, 2016

Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange

At first I was thinking, "The Knize Ten, but less oriental and complex," but then I was thinking, "vintage Red for men but with leather instead of sequoia, and again, less complex." And after a few hours, at most, my thought was that it was far too "chemical," as in chemicals being spilled in a lab! I find Leather Oud by Dior to be more "natural" smelling, and therefore superior, but it's in that "general ballpark" as well. I can understand the appeal, especially for those who like these kinds of scents and don't find this one to be too "chemical," so I'll give it a neutral rating.
08th May, 2016

Berlin by Playboy

I'm giving this one a positive rating because I paid about $4 for 100 ml, and it holds its own against much, much more expensive scents. In fact, I prefer this to Sauvage, because the ambroxan (or similar molecule) is not as obvious here. The fruitiness at first is not bad at all, and I tend to really dislike scents that begin with typical "masculine" fruit notes. Then there is a kind of "old school" quality, though thankfully without any detectable lavender. And then the ambroxan type quality takes charge, but that's hours later. My only issue with it is that it's not something I can see myself really wanting to wear - I'd wear it as a "change of pace" on rare occasions, though that's true of a whole lot of scents, most considerably more expensive than this one. Unlike Darvant, I don't perceive typical "masculine" laundry musk (I think the "fuzzy" qualities ambroxan possesses generates this impression), fruitiness, etc., and I don't understand what "oily" means in the context of a scent, other than perhaps someone thinking that it smells like oil and vinegar salad dressing, which this one certainly does not. It's a little different from the "madding crowd" of "masculines" and if you are in the mood for a bit of ambroxan fun, this is a "cheap thrill."
29th April, 2016 (last edited: 05th May, 2016)

Elvis by Elvis Presley by Frances Denney

This would be a unisex niche scent today, as it is powdery, ambery, animalic, spicy, and quite heavy. Another reviewer said he smelled apples at first, and there is some sort of fruitiness for a while. He also said there is tobacco but I think that's castoreum (in combination with some of the other notes). This could be a Serge Lutens scent, but I actually like the smoothness of this one better than most of the Lutens I've sampled. Also, it doesn't smell "synthetic" at all. I thought it might be similar to something like Sex Appeal for Men, but it's considerably better, IMO.
27th April, 2016

Amore Eterno by Victory International

Not bad considering what I paid for it! At first there is a strong quality of what seemed like pepper and dihydromyrcenol, along with some lavender, so some might say it's somewhat similar to Cool Water at this point. The peppery element doesn't last long and then I can detect dry woodiness, which lasts a long time. The Parfumo site lists Jasmine, Coriander, Lavender, Musk, and Sage, so some of those in combination might cause me to find it peppery. After a couple of hours an "old school" type of base emerges, though it doesn't have the strength (I only used one spray to the chest). It's not especially animalic and it's not syrupy, sweet, or too floral. I do get a touch of an old/worn leathery quality after several hours. Longevity was very good. If you enjoy a scent like Jules, this is not likely to replace it, but if you want an inexpensive scent to wear once in a while, rather than using up your quarter full bottle of Jules, this might be a great inexpensive option. I'll give it a positive rating due to the low cost.
17th March, 2016

Phoenix by Keith Urban

Think of a smoother version of Bogart Pour Homme, but with blackberry and chocolate replacing the lily and rose, and you'll have a rough idea about what this smells like. At first, though, it isn't smooth, with some sort of odd varnish-like element, but that doesn't last long. Overall, this is a great scent for a low price (assuming the prices haven't risen by the time you read this). There is a light leathery quality in the drydown, and the blackberry lasts a long time. I don't get a clear cognac note so perhaps it lasts a very short period of time. It's not powdery, syrupy, nor too sweet, but the tonka is obvious, in case you are not a fan of that note.
18th January, 2016

Aqua Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Sort of like a cross between the original and the 32 flanker. I might like this one more than either of those, actually. I'll have to wear it more to see if my perceptions change.
11th November, 2015

Unbreakable Bond / Unbreakable by Khloé and Lamar

If you like apple notes except when these are sharp, this is one to consider. There is a hint of chocolate, wood, etc., but the apple is the star of the show and lasts a long time. It's definitely not too sweet or syrupy, and it is a touch musky (no major "laundry musk," thankfully). And the florals are in check as well. So, it's very good for all kinds of social situations, and it's certainly not a "blob" scent, but if you are used to niche then my guess is you'll find this underwhelming (such as if you were to compare it to Apple Brandy).
31st July, 2015

Immense pour Homme by Jean-Louis Scherrer

Another take on the Green Irish Tweed type idea, which also includes Stardust for Men. This one seems to have some calone along with dihydromyrcenol, making it quite strong but not so great if you aren't a fan of obvious calone (I'm not). It seems quite strong but I just sprayed it on a card and then decided that it might not be agreeable. Moreover, I've got Stardust and prefer it to the others of this type. I also have Corinto Rouge, which is like a simplified and more wearable Cool Water, though I think there are more significant differences between CW and GIT. I just mentioned CR because it too has quite a bit of dihydromyrcenol, but not calone, and it's sweet/powdery like CW (but not like GIT in that respect). Anyway, to sum it up, I think Immense will be enjoyed by those who would like a variation on the GIT theme and don't mind or even want some noticeable calone. I'll give it a positive rating even though I'm not a fan of it.
14th June, 2015