Reviews by hesperidee

Fracas by Robert Piguet

I recently bought the EDP. I always thought of it as OLP-"Old-lady perfume!" But it's like many things in life, you can grow into it. It's not for everyone. The time to try it is when you have an open mind, yet really know what you like. I smelled it with my husband, and we both had the same reaction: a singular, heavy tuberose top note, so-so. Then, boom! This exquisite garden of jasmine almost magically appeared. I (and he) couldn't stop smelling it on my wrist after that. The drydown was wonderful. The staying power is super-long.

This is the kind of perfume that I'd respect, even if I didn't like it. I happen to really like it, so I'm happy I gave it another try. Time to smell some other OLP's!

Les Belles de Ricci - Amour d'Amandier / Almond Amour by Nina Ricci

I'm in like, not in love with this one. What I like most isn't what's in: it's what the perfumers left out. There is no fake caramel-vanilla candy apple gourmand stuff going on here. I like those smells, but so many perfumes go to the exremes.

OK, what does it smell like? Almond blossoms. There's a smell of almond extract, white flowers, and soft fruits. I bought it for springtime, since I love rich smells but wanted smoething light. I bought this without smelling it first, yet I'm quite pleased. It's practical and functional, especially for summer. Staying power is medium. Is it sensational? No. It's a workhorse, like black flats.

Les Belles de Ricci - Liberté Acidulée / Liberty Fizz by Nina Ricci

I love, love , LOVED this when I first got it in 1996.The tomato leaf smells fresh on the skin, and the berry notes appealed to me at the time. That said, I now tire of the synthetic fruit notes and the minimal staying power. So I would have given in a thumbs up 10 years ago, but it's neutral for me now.
    If you're through with vanilla, ocean and citrus perfumes, however, this is decidedly different. I'd recommend trying before buying.

Vanilla Fields by Coty

Although I love the scent, it is not a good perfume. I have a sentimental conection-a relative who is dearly departed bought it for me. I also go a lot of compliments when I wore it. But as an Eau de Cologne, it has zilch staying power and isn't very well made. Try Kenzo Flower parfum for a powdery floral vanilla.

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

I like the natural, sunny notes of Pamplelune. It smells nice on me, thanks to the patchouli/vanilla combo. Although I think of it as a daytime fragrance, I have been known to wear it at night in the summer.

Aqua Allegoria Ylang & Vanille by Guerlain

There's something off in the top notes of this one. There's a vanilla/floral duel going on. So much so that I want to hold my breath when I spray it on. That prevents me from wearing it often. It smells cloying, like play-doh and aldehyde oppression. I very seldom like aldehydes, so that is a factor. It gets better about 1 1/2 hours later, when it mellows. But when I have to pick what fragrance to wear, one thought of that heavy, almost salty sweetness gives me pause. Could stand to be reformulated, as there's a good scent that reveals itself later.

Aqua Allegoria Rosa Magnifica by Guerlain

While I respect Rosa Magnifica as a well-made fragrance, it smells bad on me. Some of my co-workers, whom I know are rose-lovers from their fragrance choices, compliment me when I wear it. But I know the dark, ugly truth about how it smells on me, so it's relegated to the back of my perfume rack.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I bought it for my man last winter. I bought it after smelling it at Sephora and loving the aromatic woodsy notes.

It is a new classic style, meaning it was made not to be trendy but to be a classic. In my opinion, it fits a guy who, as another reviewer said, is serious and sexy; for someone who doesn't talk much but isn't shy. It's great to wear in cool weather or for someone who doesn't sweat a lot.

Yvresse / Champagne by Yves Saint Laurent

I bought Yvresse back when it was Champagne in 1996. I loved the sparkly notes with the nectarine, litchi and other notes.

Why don't I wear it anymore? My mom borrowed it so much and loved it, she eventually bought it. So when I finished that bottle, it was the end. I try not to wear the same perfume as other people close to me. Also, I was out of the country and with the name change battle it was hard to find for a while.

Fou d'Elle by Ted Lapidus

Fou d'elle ("Crazy About Her" in English) smells powdery and warm. It's one of the few perfumes I bought repeatedly, maybe 3 or 4 times since 1999. My husband begged me to wear it all the time, but I gave it a rest, so I wouldn't get sick of it. A nice, classic gourmet-floral mix. Sold cheap at www.purfumebay.com

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

I tried it on. It smelled like Prada wnannabe. Plus, the scent didn't develop or fade very nicely. Some people will like it for its strong, oriental notes, but I wanted more depth.