Reviews

Reviews by mcjra

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

This scent is like a pretty girl without a personality, she'll earn my attention, I will like her at first, but she won't keep my interest for too long. Bleu de Chanel is a really nice scent, that is well made, and has mass appeal. It hasn't won me completely over the couple times I've smelled it, but I don't hate it either. A perfect scent to use when blending into the crowd is your goal. Unfortunately I'm not into smelling like everybody else...
03rd February, 2011

Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

I really tried to like this one, I gave it several chances but I just don't get a pleasant experience with this cologne. On my skin, this scent is more similar to vinegar than to any of the top notes described in the pyramid. The opening of this is very sour and abrasive to my nose. When the top notes fade and the pineapple comes out, the scent transforms into something more bearable, but not wonderful enough to make up for the unpleasant opening. I wish I had a better experience with this scent, but as it stands, it's just not made for me.
04th May, 2010

Touch for Men by Burberry

Touch is a nice powdery violet scent that is comfortable to wear. There's not much development from top to bottom, but it's one note is so wonderfule that it doesn't have to evolve. This scent is like an old favorite t-shirt, it's super comfortable, it sits just right on your body, and you never get tired of it.
10th June, 2009

Géranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

The opening of Geranium pour Monsieur smells like the taste of recieving a kiss from a freshly toothbrushed mouth. This is not to say that GpM smells like toothpaste, on the contrary, it's more like fresh minty breath. I believe it's the combination of mint and musk that gives it the "fresh breath" accord that is very enjoyable.

As it dries down, GpM turns into a clean musk that lingers on for hours. It stays fairly close to the skin but smells amazing.

This is not what I expected from GpM but it's definately going to make its way into my collection. Thanks again Mr. Ropion.
08th June, 2009

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

LOL!!! It vaguely lives up to it's name sake. It's actually an amusing experience, it's slightly sweet, slighty floral, and slightly smells like a sectretional fluid. Let's just say that if it really smelled like this, things might be different in the bedroom, LOL!

Thumbs up for the amusing experience, but I wouldn't wear this out in public EVER.
06th June, 2009

Oud Cuir D'Arabie by Montale

The opening I could skip. This is the kind of frag you spray an hour before you go out so that you could get to the wonderful heart and base notes.

Once you get to the heart notes you discover a wonderfully fresh/light leather fragrance that is by no means weak. It's a rich brown leather that is tempered by the infused floral notes.

After a few hrs of the heart notes, we get to the base of this wonderful scent. It's my favorite part. I enjoy this take on leather because it smells like a person's skin, but better. It doesn't smell like you're wearing a fragrance, it just smells like your skin except better.

I definately recommend this scent, I'm pretty sure I will be getting a full bottle of this.
28th April, 2009

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

Coney Island starts out with a fun fruit note at the top, mostly lemons and oranges to my nose. Then the middle comes in with candy, Slightly chocolaty caramel with the orange lingering about. Then dries down into a cologne-y semi-aquatic, semi sweet base. All in all a fun fragrance, not at all "deep" or "thought provoking", just plane FUN!
31st March, 2009

Jicky by Guerlain

What a delightful fragrance...while it's there.

I didn't expect this to live up to my expectations, but it did. When you smell Jicky, you understand why it's been around since 1889.

It's transition from citrus, to a floral heart, then a sweet base is the model for mordern complex fragrances.

I just wish it lasted longer
31st March, 2009

Lyric Man by Amouage

A modern rose fragrance for the modern man, not at all masculine in my opinion, but nicely done none-the-less. The price is a bit high, it is a little better than Le Labo's Rose 31 in my book, but it's also twice as much.

Now for the scent:

Let's say you had a rose garden, and every morning you went out in this rose garden to gather the morning dew off of the rose petals. After quite some time, you have gathered enough rose dew so that you can freeze it and make it into a rose dew popsicle. Lyric man is what this rose dew popcicle would smell like. An icy cool rose. Icy in texture, but warm as a scent. It's quite an olifactory accomplishment.

The scent is "light" but not at all weak. I find the same effect going on in Reflection Man. The new direction in which this company is going, with scents like Reflection Man, Jubilation XXV, Homage Attar, and Lyric Man, I like very much. Right up my alley, modern, well done, and highly wearable.

Homage Attar by Amouage

This is an absolutely beautiful rose fragrance. The best I've ever had the pleasure of inhaling. Even now as I'm typing I'm straining my neck as I keep my nose to the part of my arm I dabbed from the sample. I must get this fragrance, I MUST!!!

It's not a "masculine" fragrance AT ALL, but who cares when it's this beautiful. This type of beauty knows no bounds, especially not gender boundaries.

I want future wife (whoever she may be) to smell like this on our wedding day. Heck, I'll be wearing this to my wedding day!

Idole de Lubin by Lubin

Have to get a bottle of this stuff, it's instantly my OTHER favorite "boozy" scent next to By Kilian's Straight to Heaven. Can't ever get enough RUM!!!

Nautica Classic by Nautica

This was my 1st cologne EVER! I had the aftershave spash bottle. It actually belonged to my uncle who passed away. I wore this in middle school (aka junior high). Good memories tied to this frag, so I'm going to have to give it a thumbs up
06th March, 2009

Great Jones by Bond No. 9

This scent reminds me of Kouros, but WAY toned down. Let's call it a civilized, sophisticated Kouros. It's soapy but not urinal cake-y. Quite nice. I'm tempted to buy a bottle...
12th February, 2009

Amethyst by Olivier Durbano

This starts out with a prominent grape note on my skin, then it dries down to a hauntingly sweet incense. I would call this a unisex scent. Lasts pretty much all day. While it is quite nice, I didn't really fall in love with this scent. From this line, I prefer Black Tourmaline.
11th February, 2009

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

This scent somewhat reminded me of Kouros, but way, WAY more controlled. It's very soapy, clean, and invigorating. An aquatic type fragrance that stands out. Also, it's very masculine to my nose.

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

VERY sweet, I can't separate all the notes, I definately pick up the vanilla when I wear this frag, but very little, if any leather. Sometimes I can pick it up, other times I can't.

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

Bright Lemon opening that dries down to an uplifting pine note. The pine note is almost effervescent Quite pleasant, but not stunning.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

On my first testing of this earlier this year, I was repulsed, the top notes were medicinal, bitter, and cloying.

Fast forward to a couple months back, having bought M7 Fresh, I was looking for the same type of fragrance for the colder months....well, what better choice than M7? So I bought it "half" blind and sprayed it on....how marvelous it was!!! The top notes weren't what I remembered from my first experience from this fragrance. Instead M7 was syrupy, deep woods, like tree sap...then it progressed into a comforting marshmallow accord that I just can't be without from now on. I'm definately glad I gave M7 a second chance.
11th December, 2008

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a very comforting and calming scent to me. Almost the polar opposite of it's predecesor. Where Kouros is brash, flamboyant, with a "LOOK AT ME" attitude, Body Kouros is confident, quiet but strong.

Sillage and longevity are good, the scent is fairly pleasant, nothing groundbreaking...atleast not now-a-days...
09th December, 2008

Red Vetyver by Montale

Red Vetyver is a more natural smelling Terre d'Hermes. I'm wearing both as I type this, gave Red Vetyver a couple full wearings already and it's still quite difficult to tell them apart. It may be my untrained nose, or it may be that they just don't have that much difference between them. Good scent, albeit unoriginal. I give it a tentative thumbs up...

Dans Tes Bras by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Sweet mushrooms? The top notes made me kind of nautious, I was close to scrubbing it off!!!, but then the mushroom accord disappeared and it settled down to a wonderful, transparent, feminine skin scent. You can liken it to taking in the scent of your girlfriend or wife after they take a nice long hot bath, little sweaty, a little salty, a little sweet...

Other than the opening it's quite a masterpiece

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Dirty Vanilla scent. The tobacco gives the vanilla a "naughty" side. Great sillage and longevity, however the scent isn't all that inticing...

Cuba by Czech & Speake

A green tobbacco fragrance. Top notes are a blast of mint and citrus with a medicinal after-taste...reminiscent of Halls candy. When the top notes fade into the background, a rich moist unsmoked cigar note comes into play and stays, and stays, and stays...

A very calming, mellow, warm fragrance. Love it!
05th December, 2008

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

The violet in the opening notes of GPHII is delish! Everybody that said this is a sweeter and softer Tea for Two is correct. Personally, I prefer this to T4T because who really wants to smell like Earl Grey Tea in public? Not me. It is a very subtle scent, it lasts for a little while on my skin 4-5 hrs and then it's gone. Probobly shorter lasting on other ppl's skin b/c my skin tends to hold on to fragrances longer. Overall not a bad scent.
18th September, 2008

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Truely a classic scent. I can't complain about this one at all. If you want to smell good, wear D&G PH. With that said, don't expect to stand out really, b/c there will probobly be somebody next to you wearing this. It's a really popular frag. and I can smell why!
18th September, 2008

Very Irresistible for Men Fresh Attitude by Givenchy

if you want to smell like a york peppermint patty, this is for you! Gave this to my brother, not a bad scent. On the strong side when spritzed on my skin. Definately different from others in the department store display cases...but that's not really anything special.
17th September, 2008

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

When I first sniffed this fragrance I was instantly reminded of Le Labo's Vetiver 46. Both are very masculine fragrances, both are a little astringent, and both are growing on me. After the initial top notes though, the similarities fade. More of the smokey incense notes come out on my skin as this fragrance develops. I like it!
11th September, 2008

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Definately NOT a fragrance you would call "youthful", but "classy" and "sophisticated" do fit the bill. I don't know why, but I was expecting more leather. Smelled this on a testing strip before and it made me cringe. recently I got a sample from TPC and got a full wearing of it yesterday and my mind was changed. Definately an old school type of fragrance. It says up top that Frank Sinatra use to rock this...I think he would have been the perfect spokesman for BdP if they ever did start an ad campaign.
11th September, 2008

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

I used to wear this in Highschool!!! OMG brings back memories (good and bad). This was my one cologne and I wore it year round...BIG mistake. Kinda cloying in the warmer months. I didn't know I was wearing a classic however...cool feeling.
08th September, 2008

Duro by Nasomatto

This stuff is like M7 except SO much MORE refined. Heavy on the leather, but not aged, worn in leather. More like brand new leather jacket leather. Expensive leather at that. Good stuff, don't wear it in the summer tho, it doesn't quite mix well with sweat...
22nd August, 2008