Reviews by valentinamaltese

Azzaro Couture by Azzaro

It's a very ladylike fragrance. The start is fresh and citrusy, then the florals boom and in the end the animalic and chypre notes give it sillage and personality. Will defintely become my "dress up for a formal date" perfume!

27th January, 2010

Skarb by Humiecki & Graef

I'm surprised that, according to its creators, this perfume should express "sadness". It's very herbal and woody. It makes me think of a quiet medieval abbey in Alsatia, where the friars cured people with herbs, cooked vegetarian meals during lent (due to the presence of lovage) and brewed excellent beer (due to a barley extract notes). To me It gives a sensation of wisdom and peace of mind. Due to it's high concentration (more than an eau de perfum) it is very long lasting, even too much: it'doesn't fade until you wash. It's the ideal scent for a mature, cultured gentleman.

27th January, 2010

Pegaso by Etro

To me, it smellas very much like Gueralin's Vetiver, only more expensive and with a little basil. Very boring for a 2009 fragrance that passes as "niche".

25th November, 2009

Féminité du Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I have just tried feminitè du bois in the new rectangular bottle. To me, it smells just like in the old bottle. it's a pity they changed it, but at least the juice is intact: pure beautiful cedar splinters with soft plum, sexy musk and delicate violet.

05th May, 2009

Manoumalia by LesNez

Manoumalia smells like a log of rare tropical wood deposited by the waves on la solitary beach and drying in the sun, while the wind carries the scent of tiare flowers from the inland, and like a joung ambery body warming in the sun. A great, very evocative fragrance, that made me feel like the commander of an explorer ship, maybe Magellano, who smells the wood of his ship, the sea breeze and the tropical essences he has found in the land he just discovered, while he's sailing home.

24th March, 2009

No. 5 Eau Première by Chanel

The original Chanel n 5 is sexy, timelles, unique and very beautiful, like Marilyn Monroe. Eau Premiere is a more wearable and contemporary version of it. There has more fresh bergamot and less outrageous aldheydes.
    Eau premiere is like a picture of Marililyn Monroe corrected with photoshop, to meet the stereotyped beauty standards of fashion magazines: her famous mole erased , her eyes rounded a little bit to open them up, her body slendered, transforming the unforgettable diva into a shallow adolescent wannabe model. Of course, it's going to become very popular and sell a lot. Mediocrity often does.

16th March, 2009

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

I had no idea it had such a complicated pyramid. All I can smell is a very good, enwrapping warm musk, more on the sexy animalic side than on the clean one. Very good for layering with almost any fragrance, if you want to enhance it's sexy, musky notes-

19th February, 2009

Vanderbilt by Gloria Vanderbilt

Notes according to Fragrantica: The composition starts of casually, light and fresh, including aldehydes, bergamot, green notes, neroli and pineapple. The classical floral heart is composed of jasmine, orange blossom, rose, tuberose and ylang-ylang. Oriental base includes cinnamon notes, civet, musk, opoponax, vetiver, sandalwood and vanilla.
    It's one of the first perfumes I discovered in my eary teens and smells wonderful for the price.

12th January, 2009

L'Antimatière by LesNez

I can smell it only when I'm not wearing it. On paper it smells very clean and a little herbal. According to Silvio Levi, who imports Les Nez perfumesi in Italy, it has only three notes: oakmoss, musk and ambergris, all of them normally used as basenotes, because they are made of very heavy molecules, that can not be smelled immediatly, but only after a while. This, I think, explains why some people can't smell it: it has no headnote. In my opinion, with its strange way to fade and then reappear and be smelled again, l'Antimatiere is more the ghost of a scent, than a real fragrance. A weird experiment in fringe perfumery, that I appreciate but would'nt buy.

13th December, 2008

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

I hate it. Maybe it's because I smelled it the first time on a pretentious pseudo intellectual little woman, who made stupid remarks about my weight. But I gave it a second tought, smelled it on paper and on myslef and I stil hate it. It's unpleasantly pungent, irritatingly dry in the opening but nauseatingly sticky in the drydown. To me it smells like a pathetic attempt to create something original, dissonating and not commercial, while needig the approval of the marketing director-

05th December, 2008

Love in Black by Creed

I don't agree with the totally negative reviews: Love in Black is a pleasant and interesting variation on the violet theme. It reminds me a lot of Bulgari pour Femme: a simple violet opening, followed by a heart other flowers and a myserious note at the bottom I didn't manage to identify, that is good and adds some mistery. It's very ladylike. I think people were disappointed because we had to wait for it too long: it was annouced for september and come out only in mid-october. My rating is neutral: not irrestible or very memorable, but a good, wearable, stylish fragrance. A nice little black dress in a bottle, with the Creed griffe to add glamour to it.

13th October, 2008

Jasmin Noir by Bulgari

It's a typical winter fragrance, very warm and enwrapping, glamourous but not very interesting. It's like a lighter and more wearable version ofPoison, because of the jasmin and almond combination, The first Bulgari pour femme is still the best: one of the very few floral feminines that are unique and instantly recognizable.

03rd October, 2008

Crystal Aoud by Montale

The openig notes are fruity and mouthwatering, but then the fragrance develops in a clean, crisp smell, due to the medicinal note of agarwood and the sexy clean musk. It' wery sensuous, but in a subltle and elegant way Finally a fruity perfume that is not too girly, like Dewberry, o too solemn an ladylike, as Mitsouko.

01st October, 2008 (Last Edited: 02nd October, 2008)

Angéliques Sous La Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

To me it smells very fresh, clean and flowery, like rain in a garden. But my boyfriend says it smells like a wet stone wall, pleasant but oddly hard and blocking.

09th September, 2008

Dewberry Perfume Oil by Body Shop

Dewberry was my perfume in my late teens and early twenties, then the Body Shop stopped selling it in Europe, God knows why.
    A few days ago I got a text message from a girl I had not seen for over ten years. It read: "What is the name of the fragrance you used to wear at university? I smelled it again on a girl on the underground and I absolutely want it!". So I discovered thar Dewberry is back to Italy, apparently since this spring.
    It's really surprising how a girly, fruity and floral inexpensive oil manages to be so memorable. I suppose it's because of the sharp grapefruit and the mouthwatering pear, that give a happy, uplifting emotion to those who smell it. Alas, my skin tends to bring out the fruity notes, at the expense of the floral ones, making this fragrance unfit for a professional woman in her thirties, so I wear it only in my free time, or when I go to sleep, for sweet dreams.

26th August, 2008

1881 pour Femme by Cerruti

It's very clean, like line dried cotton, distictly floral and feminine, but not too sweet. My skin enhances she orage flower and the musk, making it even fresher and cleaner, almost evanescent. It shares the clean feeling with White Linen, but is lighter and more elegant. It's distinctive and recognizable, like sexy Chanel n°5 or aggressive Poison, but in a harmelss, quiet and ladylike way, that reminds me of L'air du temps, because of the geranium note. I used to wear it at work, expecially in the summer.

26th August, 2008

Sublime Balkiss by The Different Company

Very feminine, sligtly fruity and very floral. It's very fresh and sweet but has great personality. Though it's not in the "official" notes list I smell some orange flowers in it.

02nd August, 2008

White Jasmine & Mint by Jo Malone

It really smells like fresh mint and light flowers and is perfect for a summer day. It's very nice and feminine, but lacks depht. I recommend it with other Jo Malone scents, to make it more interesting: Amber and Lavender, for a fresh unisex herbal cologne, Pomegranate Noir for a very feminine, spicy perfume and Lime Basil and Mandarin if mohito is your favourite drink, as the mix smells just like the mint, lime and rum cocktail.

Don't Get Me Wrong Baby, I Don't Swallow by Etat Libre d'Orange

The name is right: it smells flirty, feminine and classy, but in a repressed, "good girl" way. Charlotte of Sex and the City could choose it as a signature scent. As far from my personality as possible, but a perfect scent for a perfect lady.

Acqua di Lavanda Ambrata / Amber Lavender by Santa Maria Novella

A perfecty balanced scent, that last on my skin more than any other Santa Maria Novella Cologne. Sweet but not silly, elegant but not pretentious, sensuous but not vulgar, simple but interesting. An alfresco by Giotto put in a bottle.

Amber & Lavender by Jo Malone

I know Jo Malone created it for her husband, but it doesn't smell too masculine, at least on my skin. It's like a good love relationship: warm and embracing like amber, but not suffocating or too heavvy, thanks to the lavander. And not boring, because you can combine it with other scents: I recommend Pomegranate Noir, to make it spicier, sweeter and sexier and White Jasmin and Mint, for a fresh summer scent, with a strong herbal note.

Verbena by Santa Maria Novella

Pure verbena, wich means it's too sharp at the beginning and too sweet at the end, but very energizing. If you like this perfume, you should try the Aceto of Santa Maria Novella with the same fragrance: it's a great skin tonic and makes my hair really shiny.

Violetta di Parma by Borsari

My worst perfume mistake. It smelled good on the mouillette, but after a few hours on my skin it revealed a cheap, unpleasanty sweet and obviously chemical dry down. The price is low, at least in Italy, but it's not worth it. If you have 20 euros and are visiting Italy, buy a bottle of good Chianti.

03rd July, 2008 (Last Edited: 14th July, 2008)

Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange

I love it. Tobacco and hay take away the indolic, sometimes nauseating quality of jasmine. It has a fascinating sort of atmosphere, sad but beautiful. Somebody compared it to Hopper's Nighthawks and I thik it's right.

25th June, 2008 (Last Edited: 14th February, 2010)