Reviews by iamthekow

Quelques Fleurs Royale by Houbigant

Not having a lot of experience with florals it's hard to compare it to its peers, but I also noted some similarities to YSL L'Homme at the heart of the fragrance. In a direct comparison QFR makes L'Homme smell like a cheap knockoff (if you don't happen to already think of it that way), possessing a certain depth and quality of ingredients that L'Homme seems to lack.

On a personal level, Quelques Fleurs Royale opened my eyes to the idea of wearing gender-ambiguous and gender-mismatched fragrances. As others have noted, this is clearly a feminine offering but it works very well on men, too, and for that alone I think it's pretty noteworthy. Wear this with confidence amongst forward-thinking crowds and it will pay off nicely.
16th May, 2009

A Taste of Heaven by By Kilian

I cannot tell any substantial difference between A Taste of Heaven and Bond No. 9's New Haarlem. With that in mind, New Haarlem is probably one of the best fragrances from that house, and improving on it is a cause for celebration. A Taste of Heaven lacks the coffee note of NH, and instead replaces it with a stronger vanilla presence. This sounds rather boring in theory but in fact works out very well in practice. By Kilian's is among the priciest niche houses around, but I wouldn't accuse anyone of over-paying for this if they wanted a different take on an excellent fall/winter gourmand like New Haarlem.
01st March, 2009

Absinth by Nasomatto

Monster sillage, highly versatile, somewhat hypnotic, and 12 hours after I put it on I can still smell the basenotes on me. Where Serge Lutens' Douce Amere is a sweet, alluring absinthe, Nasamatto's is very tangible and down-to-earth, and its allure is more centered around its depth and texture.
23rd September, 2008

Fleur du Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

It smells like old women at the church I used to go to. Might be funny to mix it with Passage d'Enfer to see what comes out of it, but this does not create a positive olefactory association for me, in any way, shape, or form.
02nd April, 2007

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I've read that this was supposed to be a men's version of Un Jardin Sur de Nil. It carries the same levity and freshness, but I find that it's a good deal greener than Sur de Nil. The substantial grapefruit notes of Sur de Nil are nowhere to be found here.

Ultimately I found Terre d'Hermes to be as elegant a green fragrance as I've seen (admittedly not as much as many here). There is a sensual note to it that I really like. At one point during the drydown it smelled vaguely soapy, but it's really much more sophisticated than that.

I would definitely suggest this as a good day-to-day fragrance that is probably suitable for any weather. I'm very anxious for warmer summer temperatures so I can see how Terre d'Hermes holds up then.
31st March, 2006