Reviews by Kaern

Eau Noble by Le Galion

I don't get any of the heart notes - this is not herby or floral at all in my book.

There are oranges and lemons, oakmoss and a lovely woody musk.

I was testing several fragrances along my arm and this shone out like a beacon.

Truly beautiful
31st January, 2017

Eau Imaginaire : Île Pourpre by Les Liquides Imaginaires

The 'pyramid' looks frightening but really this is a more deeper, richer version of Dom Rosa from the same House -- substituting a fruity red wine for that one's 'champagne' notes.

A wonderful restrained woody accord [with hints of a sweet curry] permeate the base, which lasts for ages - on me anyway.

Expensive but wonderful-- especially for winter.

Wanted by Azzaro

Is this supposed to be a 'flanker'? It has slight elements of the original but is basically an x-ray of it. Uninspired, lazy and pointless.

The bottle is like a revolver's loading chamber -- brilliant! Shame the juice doesn't match it.

Floriental by Comme des Garçons

Stewed fruit, incense, peppers and what seems like the hibiscus/rose accord from Costume National's Scent Intense. I don't get much 'woods' at all.

Totally wearable by a man in my view -- the longevity is excellent, but it is a little loud. Still, I like it very much.

I'm a little worried that CdG fragrances are all beginning to smell a bit 'samey' though.

Bulgari Man in Black by Bulgari

The only thing that separates this fragrance from a niche one is the bottle design, sprayer and packaging -- it's all a bit naff and cheap. Not a deal breaker for me though.

I love this juice even though it doesn't break into any new territories.

In fact, the note pyramid is faintly ridiculous in my opinion or else I have become anosmic to rum and iris suddenly.

What I do get is a big kick of cardamom and a sort of wet tobacco (the best for smell) before it settles down to a really lovely accord of amber, benzoin and vanilla.

Still receiving lovely wafts after 9 hours now.
05th January, 2017

Ombú by Altaia

You know when expectations are not that high. Pink Peppers and Sage to open, didn't sound that innovative -- neither did the whole pyramid actually, but wow what a fragrance.

This is a spin-off line from the couple behind the Eau D'Italie range and this particular fragrance is dedicated to the husband (Sebastian) from his wife.

The sage opens up the peppers into a sort of grand green landscape followed by a gorgeous cedar note.

The base obviously veers towards an oriental and is lovely.

The fragrance as a whole seems lovingly made with an emphasis on softness, which makes sense giving the background.

A simple, stunning masculine that I can't see tiring of anytime soon.
16th December, 2016

Baptême du Feu by Serge Lutens

These type of fragrances I find hard to describe.

Dark red juice containing facets of boiled fruit sweets, cinnamon, ginger all enveloped in a cold, icy dryness.

You can never accuse Serge Lutens of being bland.

I think I love it.
08th November, 2016

Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne by Helmut Lang

I think this must be the reformulated version.

It reminds me very much of Gold Musk by Santa Maria Novella, as the overriding impression is of an expensive soap you may find in a five star hotel.

The main problem is the longevity though -- I reckon 3 hours at the most and at the current price-point that's just not good enough.
08th November, 2016

The Fragrance Journals : 1962 by Floris

I thought I was going to like 1976 the best for several reasons and it is a nice fougere type fragrance.

But, wow, 1962 just blew me away.

Not because it is different or shocking, but more because it is a throwback to masculine type chypres that seem to be out of fashion nowadays.

1962 reminds me of a hybrid of Pour Monsieur, Tuscany Uomo, Lauder for Men, Dunhill fragrances (when they were good) and even Derby in one bottle.

I would forget the top notes - 1962 is basically a mossy, woody, herby fragrance with hints of citrusy sharpness.

The performance is terrific (it is an EDP)and the drydown seems endless.

Maybe a little formal and definitely not aimed at the youth market -- 1962 is a perfect (and serious) 'gentleman's' fragrance that smells just fabulous. A bit pricy though.
31st October, 2016

Tobacco Absolute by Molton Brown

A truly beautiful tobacco accord achieved by simply mixing the tobacco note with leather and woods while maintaining a sort of transparency -- it never feels heavy. The top notes are so fleeting, I can't describe them especially any hints of grapefruit.

The fragrance performs well for me in all aspects and all for under £40. I would rather have 4 bottles of this than 75ml of Tabarome and most other niche 'tobacco' fragrances actually.

Cédrat Enivrant by Atelier Cologne

One of the most wonderful citric openings ever -- a lime and bergamot accord to die for.

It is an out-and-out 'citrus' fragrance imo with just small nods to herbs and woods later on. I don't get any spicy aspects.

Great sillage and longevity. There is no downside.

Prada L'Homme by Prada

Well, Prada seem to have run out of ideas and are chasing a winning formula only.

This is Dior Homme minus the 'lipsticky' element.

Just reinforces the idea that these Designer Houses have of male fragrance buyers, i.e. that we are all mindless sheep.

This deserves to 'tank'

L'Envol by Cartier

Claire has really nailed this one and for me too I tested it after a period of trying a host of 'masculines' niche and designer in Harrods which all failed to move me (was probably retrying most of them to be honest)

I was told beforehand that it contained violet-leaf and I feared the worst but that note blended with whatever does produce a strong tobacco feel. It reminded me a bit of the Lalique L'Homme.....?, which I also like.

It's the addition of the honey note that sets it apart though and takes it to another level -- it works like a dream.

What a scent for winter!

I have the 50ml version as it avoids the tricksy bottle cap mechanism.
27th September, 2016

Replica By the Fireplace by Martin Margiela

What a wonderful scent for winter. I was expecting a very smoky accord, but the smokiness is very restrained. It's an all enveloping boozy, nutty, herby wood for the most part but with a warm balsamic sweetness (it works) in the base.

A cosy 'snuggle up' drydown that lasts for ages.

Seems to have gone unnoticed here but is well worth checking out imo.
19th September, 2016

Boy Chanel by Chanel

I'm sort of underwhelmed (lots of pre-hype)but on the other hand, pleased. Definitely from the fougere family, BC contains a very nice lavender accord containing lemon and a musky vanilla. That's about it for me though -- I'm afraid I can't perceive any discernible almond aroma (wish I could)which heliotropin should emit.

It's a 'steady eddie' uncomplicated type of fragrance (you will need to go niche for any different nowadays it seems)but it's a very pleasant and long lasting wear.

Not as innovative or clever as Rive Gauche and at double the price (for 75ml) it seems to be not a sensible investment. I'll be purchasing though -- on balance it's worth having both.
25th August, 2016

Vetiver Insolent by Miller Harris

The only insolence seems to be the complete avoidance of the 'heart' notes. Opens up airy, spicy and green but then dives straight into the base, which I rather like as it consists of a very long lasting mossy wood with very little hint of Tonka [as listed] to my nose.
23rd August, 2016

Sunshine Man by Amouage

Yuck!

Smells like vanilla ice cream. This could be nice as in Dries Van Noten as that has a discernible base of wood, whereas in Sunshine Man the accord just sort of 'hangs there' and in time becomes a bit sickly.

Another fragrance ruined by an overload of Tonka.
23rd August, 2016

Gris Montaigne by Christian Dior

Someone has nailed it -- a 'grey chypre' easily worn by a man. The opening is a little feminine being a stunning citric and jasmine mix.

Peculiarly, it is also one of those fragrances ( like Sel de Vetiver) that drift in and out and where the projection is much stronger than you are personally experiencing.

The drydown is both sweet and mossy. Wearing in the Autumn would be a dream.
Quite beautiful.
08th August, 2016

Bayolea by Penhaligon's

Very traditional masculine 'mossy'.

Instead of reviving English Fern to it's former status, a new fragrance was born, basically tidying EF up and adding some pepper.

Not for baseball cap wearers.

It's ok, if a little dull.

Lothair by Penhaligon's

Odd sort of contradictory fragrance from Penhaligon's, i.e. there seems to be a lot going on, subtle changes, etc but ultimately, not a lot happens.

It's basically a milky spicy fig with fougere pretensions -- I actually find it slightly sweet and feminine in parts.

I do like the smell though and it is a stayer.

Nobil Homo : Esperidi Water by The Merchant of Venice

Odd marketing (or stereotypical) for this Italian House -- 5 big blueish bottles for the men and about 20-30 small red bottles for the ladies although I was told they were unisex.

Hmmm -- water in the name? Needn't worry, this is a stonking, piercing, gorgeous citrus that lasts a long while and chooses a nice musk to achieve that.

Very influenced by Hermes' Merveilles and EDVC imo (no bad thing).

Vetyver by Le Galion

I haven't done a lot of research but I'm pretty sure Le Galion are an old House trying to reinvent themselves. I got 5 dumpy little bottles of their 'masculines' and after a while they all pretty much smelt the same, including Sortilege, Eau Noble, Whip, Special, etc. Sort of dated versions based around a 'cologne' effect (similar to Trumpers in ambience). Not unpleasant, but nothing to leap up and down about either.

Vetyver is nice though -- a sparkling open followed by a green, lemony, woody stage that lasts a good while. It's not sweet at all and the musk used just softens the edges. An offspring of the Malle and Lubin vetivers.
11th July, 2016

Gorse by Laboratory Perfumes

I've no idea why it is called Gorse and forget the notes listed.

I don't know how they have done this but Gorse is practically identical to Virgin Island Water at nearly a third of the price -- it is actually less cloying than VIW and lasts for ever. What's not to like?

Actually, another of their range smells like Aventus and Samphire smells like a cross between SMW and OV.

I think I see an agenda forming here.

07th July, 2016

Balmain Homme by Pierre Balmain

A million miles from the piercing beauty of Monsieur Balmain.

A more generic and boring fragrance would be hard to find.

A total waste of time and I hope it tanks.
04th July, 2016

Danger pour Homme by Roja Dove

I have only found a couple of RD fragrances you could call an 'original'. He's a bit of a magpie imo. The formula for Danger could have come from any decent fougere from the Nineties. The numerous list of notes used is made completely redundant by the denseness of the fragrance -- a lot of his fragrances could do with 'opening up' imo. It seems to solely consist of ambergris, herbs and woods.

However, for all it's flaws, I do love wearing it, so a reluctant thumbs up.
04th July, 2016

M by Puredistance

As DNDB has already stated, a spicy version of the original Bel Ami. Whoever blended this fragrance (not sure Roja Dove was 'hands -on') has done a terrific job -- just so smooth.

I paid full retail also and consider it money well spent.

Fragrances as good as this come along very rarely and should be treated with relish.
13th June, 2016

Remarkable People by Etat Libre d'Orange

I tested this recently and really liked it. For me it seemed to vacillate from feminine to masculine in the early stages but the curried jasmine accord is terrific. The base is a more familiar spicy/woody accord with the curry note hanging in there. I actually found it to be more like Fils de Dieu than Josephine Baker as the other post mentioned. I think it would be more suited to cooler weather.

2 caveats. I would have liked it to be a little more powerful and I am a bit concerned that ELdO are maybe running out of ideas.

Maybe 'Hermann' will change that.
15th April, 2016

Leder 6 / Fetisch by J.F. Schwarzlose

Because of copyright issues this is going to have to be renamed -- to 'Leader 6' or Leder 6? (for future refence). All six in the range are above average imo, but Fetisch has a lovely, if unusual, opening and sort of catches you instantly.

Once it gets to the heart, it reminded me of Original Santal with suede and tobacco. This sweetish phase passes though and the drydown is much harder and very masculine. Can incense and styrax produce a tobacco like accord because that note persists for me anyway.

I like it a lot. Available in 50ml only, I think and retails at about £120.00.
31st March, 2016

Opus X by Amouage

I'm not an 'expert' but the opening rose accord is like no other I know. Very powerful with a metallic like sheen. The geranium and leather stage seems brief to me and it soons develops into the superior woody floral that it is. The Ambrarome is a very distinctive part of the drydown, which is the latest synthetic to replace Ambergris.

Lyric Man (and Woman) are wonderful -- I think this is a little better.
29th March, 2016

Beloved Man by Amouage

I bemoaned the lack of the Omani incense when I first tried this a couple of years ago. But due to the paucity of any half decent masculines out there currently, I turned of course to Amouage again for inspiration.

You can very rarely trump them for depth and richness in their fragrances.

To cut a long story -- at times Beloved Man reminds me of a refined but lusher and more beautiful version of Jaipur PH
16th February, 2016