Reviews by blondex199667

blondex199667's avatar
    blondex199667

Douglas Hannant by Robert Piguet

This opens with a well-executed orange blossom center stage, supported by unsweetened pear (and perhaps a bit of lychee, or blood orange?) and gardenia done here as it seems to have been done in the original L'Air Du Temps. Off to a good start!
    About 30 minutes in, the tuberose begins to displace the top notes. It's at this point that DH's ancestor, Fracas, begins to whisper to you. But this time, the indoles are toned way down to a much more modern and wearable level.
    The tuberose holds court for about 2 hours, then slowly slips away revealing it's sandalwood and musk base. I'm reminded now how much I like sandalwood, especially when so well incorporated to the overall structure of the fragrance. The musk here is more full-bodied than the white musks so common in contemporary perfumery which is a lovely surprise. The jasmine is there, but only if you really search for it. Six or seven hours in- and it's gone.
    I think this is a very well done fragrance, and how nice to see a respected house turn out a fragrance at an accessible price!
    I asked 13 people for their opinion of Douglas Hannant while I was wearing it, including a few fragrance salespeople. Of the 13, 3 felt it was pushing it for a guy to wear it and 1 of them simply did not care for it at all. The other 12 liked it, with 5 saying they loved it.
    DH is, perhaps, what people were expecting from Fracas For Men, and it would not be surprising if it becomes known as such, just as No.5 Eau Premiere is known as No. 5 For Men.
    Incidentally, I would give the sillage a 4 out of 5 for the first hour or two, rapidly retreating after that.
    I've really enjoyed wearing this today, so much so that I'll be ordering a bottle. Tuberose is, after all, my favorite note and I love how this smells and feels both modern and retro concurrently. Hannant, and Piguet, should be proud.

13th February, 2011

No. 19 by Chanel

A cold, lovely little bitch of a fragrance. Plus, it inspired one of my favorite quotes from Luca Turin. He says of No. 19, that "this extraordinary perfume appeals to any woman who has ever wished to know what it is to be heartless." and gives it 5-stars. Gorgeous and haughty; soulless.

10th October, 2010

Déclaration Bois Bleu by Cartier

I really like this one. Although the original Declaration is unimpressive to me, Bois Bleu has a chilly, almost icy, effect that is very appealing to me. It's really the only aquatic, to my mind, that has true character and the wood gives it substantial projection and longevity. It really should be sampled by those who are looking for something bracing but not boring.

03rd July, 2010

L'Insolent by Charles Jourdan

Just absolutely gorgeous. Richly floral, slightly oriental, a bit sweet. Like her brother, Un Homme, a tragically underpromoted fragrance.

12th June, 2010

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

First impressions my butt! If you see my first review of Carnal Flower you'll know exactly what I mean. But, I gave it another try, and I "got" it. Well I didn't just get it, I fell dizzyingly in love with it!
    This is tuberose in all her shimmering glory. All the notes you've heard about are there: the camphorous, chilling opening, the crush of living foliage threaded through the tuberose heart, the coconut quivering about the edges with a musk so crystalline "white" doesn't do it justice; more like platinum.
    Carnal Flower is more than a masterpiece, more than an icon. It is pleasure in a bottle. It is explosively gorgeous. Carnal Flower is just perfection.

10th June, 2010 (Last Edited: 10th October, 2010)

Eau Vitaminée by Biotherm

A very nice citrus eau fraiche. Supposed to have skin tonic properties as well. Not much on sillage or duration but great to keep in the fridge for a hot-day spraydown.

28th February, 2010

Kiehl's Gardenia Essence Oil by Kiehl's

On me, it's not so long-lasting but it really does smell great. More modern that its date of origin would suggest. It's got some melon or something so it smells fresh rather than matronly.

29th December, 2009

Bel Ami by Hermès

Though it doesn't smell like Antaeus, it seems borne of the same idea. I think if you like one you'd like the next. As is so often the case, I'm suprised to read the notes it's said to contain. To me, it has a distinctly cedar smell. They should have kept the original bottle. It seems anathema that Hermes should take such an obviously penny pinching approach as to put the juice in the same bottle used for a number of other Hermes frags.

29th December, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st March, 2010)

Antaeus by Chanel

The exact opposite of all the watery fragrances that followed it. Powerful to be sure and probably a bit dated but still relevant and worth the occasional wear.

29th December, 2009

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

I'm not a big fan of spicy/oriental notes and I really don't like the powdery finish, but I get why some guys love this stuff. It's also iconic, the olfactory equivalent to a soundtrack of the late "80s.

24th October, 2009

Calyx by Prescriptives

Love it! Playful, youthful- what's not to like assuming you like sweet:tart smells?

24th October, 2009

New West for Him by Aramis

I just bought the relaunched New West last week. In Chicago, only Neiman-Marcus has it. It's pretty much the same as the original- an herbally/spicy/aquatic. It's still pretty unique. especially for a workplace-friendly fragrance. It's also relatively inexpensive at $48/3.4oz vapo. For sure worth checking out, and I agree, it's the kind of smell women really respond to.

28th September, 2009

Montana Parfum de Peau by Montana

I am also a product of the 80s and loved Claude Montana. I still have a few jackets and suits and will never stop wearing them or get rid of them. I met him at Bloomingdale's in Chicago when he came for the fragrance launch. His was the first fragrance marketed to women that I ever dared to wear. Man did I get compliments on it! Truly, it's worth buying even if you've never smelled it because the flacon is like a Lalique sculpture. It remains my favourite packaging of all time. BTW I think this would probably be considered a chypre fragrance by most people.

25th August, 2009

KL Homme by Lagerfeld

I think this is one of the best mens fragrances of all time, period. It does have similarities to all of the fragrances it has been compared to but beats them all. It is the only one of it's kind I've ever liked at all and I really love it. I still have an unopened bottle in the fridge. Just can't bring myself to open it! I'm hoping that if Giorgio for Men and New West can be resurrected, maybe KL Homme can be too.

22nd August, 2009 (Last Edited: 22nd November, 2009)

Marc Jacobs Splash Gardenia by Marc Jacobs

LOVE IT. I think the fruit notes keep it from being matronly (like many gardenia frags) and adds a freshness that makes it perfectly suitable for men. I actually get compliments on it from guys at the gym. Really nicely done and a great value. Highly recommended for guys who are tired of all the formulaic juices out there right now.

Virgin Island Water by Creed

I love the smell of this, but it really doesn't last on me and has no sillage. At $205 a pop, I won't be repurchasing.

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Allusions to its launch era aside, this is a real powerhouse fragrance. It's more grown-up than most but not patronly like some. The dry down is heaven, sillage impressive and really completely unique. A great option if you're over the aquatic and spice dominated market.

Vanille Abricot by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I wear this rarely, but when I do I really enjoy it. Women will tell me I smell like cake and mean it as a total compliment. It neither surprises nor disappoints.

Aloha Tiaré / Tiaré by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I love CSP, love Hawai'i, and love gardenia. Wanted to love Aloha Tiare, but don't. It's too intense and too sweet.

21st August, 2009

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Maybe I've had a stroke or something, but I smell vinegar and little else in this. Why can't more of the luxury houses take a cue from Hermes and create fragrances that are as unique and quality-minded as the rest of their products?

01st November, 2008

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

I'm pleased to hear that others have the same love/hate relationship with this strange elixir as I do. To me, it smells like sex- pure and simple. Like the way your body smells after a good, sweaty romp. It walks that fine line between bad body odor and sexy body odor. And unisex my butt- this fragrance is totally unsuitable for a woman unless she is a total sexpot, like maybe Angelina Jolie. I don't wear it often, but I'm glad I have it if only because it's Hermes and so exclusive. Disclaimer: Hermes is my holy grail. If they put an Hermes label on a dead rat I would HAVE to have it.

25th June, 2008

Byzance by Rochas

Byzance is the epitome of the "floriental" class. Unctuous and complex. Love it, and yes have even worn it, if only rarely.

06th June, 2008 (Last Edited: 25th August, 2009)

Vôtre by Charles Jourdan

My favourite floral of all time. Another masterpiece lost forever.

06th June, 2008

Eau de Biarritz by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I like fragrances that don't smell like anything else, and the strong iodine top note is truly unique. It's a fresh, lush but not astringent scent that's probably better for a man than a woman.

04th April, 2008