Reviews by eugenie

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I agree with those who say some of the reviews are getting out of hand. I mean, don't get me wrong - if there were a perfume that smelled like - oh, animal secretions, or bodies intertwined, or such, I'd be first in line to check it out. But this isn't that. It's very pretty, very wearable, a nice incensey rose with musc to hold it down and add sweetness, and some artificial animal juice, and my beloved (real) costus and ambrette to add texture. I wish I didn't love it so much...as dear as they sell their little bell jars, this remains my go to scent when I can't decide what to wear, from days in the woods, to evenings dancing - this is actually the best perfume I've found for oriental dance performances; it can be stunningly feminine.It's just beautiful, on men on women on anything in between.
11th July, 2008

Black by Bulgari

Am I missing something here? Having read many reviews, I expected to love this. Instead, I...rather like it. But it's far more conventional than I had been led to believe. The rubber, which I was dreaming of, is faint enough that I might not have noticed it had I not been specifically looking. The tea is pretty, especially in the (lovely) drydown....but overall, it's a fairly ordinary, pretty but not spectacular vanilla oriental w/entirely too much old lady floral in the first couple of hours, after which it becomes a somewhat more masculine version of Shalimar, but less spectacular and barbaric. Am I the only one who feels this way? I wanted to love this so much....
09th July, 2008