Reviews by mgrz

mgrz's avatar
    mgrz

A*Men: Le Gôut du Parfum / The Taste of Fragrance [hot chili pepper paste] by

My favorite fragrances are ones I can smell on myself throughout the day with minimal sprays. This one more than meets the requirements! I didn't notice it at first, but after 20-30 minutes it seems this was a cloud that came closer and farther away as time passed. Sometimes I smelled it strongly, sometimes less so. The chili pepper paste truly enhances A*Men! I gather it's the coffee being bolstered, and this is a real work of art! I love the subtle/strong/spice/sweet changes! Unlike anything I've owned...It must be an hour in now, and I love the way it sneaks up on me, like a reminder! This is an awesome blind-buy, and I couldn't be happier. Bravo!

14 July, 2012

A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler

Love this! I originally thought this would be the classic A-Men flanker, but was more than pleasantly surprised! No hint of the original in this. I'm not sure of what's grabbing my attention in this, but I think it's something reminiscent of B-Men (sequoia I think) that's mixed in here with mint and plastic and I don't know what, but it's returning me to the bottle, this cool white rubber-covered bottle, ever since. I'm wearing this to work every day since picking it up, and it lasts the full day. Bravo Mugler! This feels like a winterized, or heavier "cologne" to me. People may 'thumbs-down' this for lack of "A-Men" genes, but I feel like it's a welcome departure for the 'pure' line. Maybe most feel it should contain more 'A-Men', because of the title, but I think this fits!

14 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 23 July, 2012)

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

Out of all 66 positive reviews of this, I expected someone to bring up the strong comparison to Creed's SMW, but no!
    I know this has been out for a while now, and I think I tried it on back in the day, but today I fell for this in Sephora...My wife wore 212 on our first date and the men's version came out a year or so after that, but I didn't give it a serious try. Today I smelled a strong similarity to Silver Mountain Water by Creed (my all-time favorite scent). Lasting longer, costing a fraction less, adds up to a quick decision to pick it up! I smell it on myself (after one spray to the neck) still after 6 or 7 hours now! Sort of soft, sort of strong, I can see why many say this should be marketed as unisex, but I love it! I'm giving it a shot!

27 March, 2012

Artisan by John Varvatos

Tried this yesterday at MACY'S, and immediately felt that I'd worn this before! After much thought, I came up with: "Reaction" by Kenneth Cole! I wore KC in high school, and it all came back to me smelling "Artisan." Other thoughts?

09 May, 2009

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Became addicted to this from smelling a scent strip in a magazine when it first came out and recently purchased the "deluxe" atomiser...I flat out LOVE this! Wore it on two interviews (just one spritz to the neck). It's pretty powerful stuff! Definite 8-hour longevity. An overall unique scent.

29 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 May, 2012)

Original Vetiver by Creed

The reason y'all like Creed OV better than Mugler Cologne (the better frag.), is that you paid twice as much for half the amount! 'Nuff said!

29 November, 2008

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

Awesome musk! Just got a bottle 2 weeks ago (finally!) and have had 2 compliments from strangers!! One said I smelled "delicious," and the other said: "you smell really good."
    So, after god-knows-how-many bottles of moderate to Creed-THIS is what the women prefer!
    No problem...the price can't be beat!(1.7 for $40.00 approx.). Awesome fragrance!

27 November, 2008

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

Heard it was "discontinued," but found it in a MACY'S in flushing, Queens of all places! Right there in the display case! Picked up a 1.7 oz. and liked it initially MUCH more than A*Men...Have to try it more, though...after wearing it a whole weekend, I felt underwhelmed by it...not sure why (?). With A*Men, you're self-conscious of smelling too "girly", but I DO like the audacity of it! Anyway, B*Men is alive and well in Queens, N.Y.! Must wear it more to give a definitive rating.

27 November, 2008

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

bought a 1oz. bottle from Saks for my wife for Christmas '07...found myself constantly sneaking sniffs of the uncapped sprayer and trying it on myself (I had found out Creed was marketing this as unisex). Something definitely addictive here! Can't smell it on myself after an hour though...1 oz lasted approx. 90 days...I started looking online to see if I could avoid retail for a 4oz...found it at Perfume Loop for $105! Half off! (has anyone else used them?) First thing I noticed was it had a black sprayer instead of silver.... Everything else was the same...was it fake?? Of course I thought I detected a diference, and I still smell the empty 1oz. sprayer...but anyway, nothing else has held my attention as this has....definite metallic/ink note in there, giving it it's uniqueness...can't NOT put this on! I've since added the body/hair wash to it! Wish the scent lasted longer.

07 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 March, 2012)