Reviews by Indie_Guy

Indie_Guy's avatar
    Indie_Guy

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Some of us have a saying here at Basenotes, "Rive Gauche Pour Homme is the 'King of Compliments'". It's freakish how girls attack me when I wear Rive Gauche. Last night I wore it to work and a co-worker BIT ME! She freaking went crazy on me. It's a mystery why this scent ,which is relatively straightforward, causes women of all ages to go completely nuts.

10th January, 2006

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

I bought this in the summer, but couldn't really wear in until fall/winter. At first I thought it similar to Gucci PH, but 2MAN evolves more and moves in different directions. The first thing that struck me about 2MAN is that it seems to combine pieces of other CdG scents. There are bits of CdG 2, Odeurs 53 and 71, Avignon, and Vettiveru all lashed together in this scent. If you are a CdG enthusiast, you will be able to pick these parts out. Sometimes I have a hard time deciding which CdG to wear out, and 2MAN lets me wear more than one in a way. My brother said it smells like "yellow Dial soap, and like a "stick", but in a good way. If you think this scent is a rip-off of Gucci PH, then do an A/B test. Spray each on a separate arm and wait about five minutes. The Gucci gets sweet and vanillic, but it stays within a certain narrow band between top to bottom, as a whole.The 2MAN seems to blossom in that the top notes spread out and the bottom seems to get deeper and it has a wider range. Plus the 2MAN has more quirks... I really detect alot of the oddball metallic things that Odeur 71 has, slipped into 2MAN. After ten minutes on the skin, Gucci PH and 2MAN have both changed so much that I find them pretty much nothing alike.

The bottle is one of the coolest bottles I've ever seen, I should also mention.

23rd December, 2005

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons

If you are a fan of vetivers, you will want to bathe in this stuff! First off, it is a true Eau de Cologne, meaning it is very, very light in terms of sillage. It comes in a big seventeen ounce splash bottle. And you WILL have to splash it on quite liberally to get a good application. Rub it on your neck, arms and wherever...It doesn't project much, but it lingers for a long time.

As for the actual scent. Its a very raw earthy, slightly dirty vetiver in the tradition of Goutal's Vetiver, yet it shifts back and forth to a green, fresh vetiver scent like Mugler's Cologne. And it has shades of the bitterness that is so "texture-like" in Guerlain's Vetiver. And it also reminds me of chewing gum, with its fresh topnotes. A perfectly balanced composition, with touches of floral notes and a dry bamboo-like accord.

It's very addicting stuff, i'm finding. Both clean and fresh-soil earthy, it's the ideal skin scent. A bit salty and citrusy. Vettiveru is like an all-star team of the notes of all the classic vetivers. I just want to wear it every day. Just always remember its an EDC so it's not a sillage monster, you have to put ALOT on. You'll probably have to use one whole sample vial in one application. But then again that's why it comes in a seventeen ounce bottle. Everyone needs something like this in their 'drobe. One of the best I've seen in a long time.

23rd December, 2005

Kouros Cologne Sport Eau d'Éte by Yves Saint Laurent

I'm a big admirer of Kouros (though I don't wear it out much). I'm also a huge fan of Kouros Cologne Sport (though I wear that one for myself as well- its kind of weird, yet IMO a masterpiece of contrasts). So in the interest of being a Kouros completist, I bought this one too- the Kouros Cologne Sport Eau D'Ete Summer Fragrance in the gradient blue bottle. It's much more mainstream than the standard Cologne Sport. It's got a nice tangerine and mint accord, and a "perfumey" note that is absent from the other. It does have a somewhat short longevity, but it's more like a refreshing tonic. It really wears well in high heat, and in the breeze. The Cologne Sport and this, the summer version, are very original scents, I haven't smelled anything remotely like them. Some people dislike them, and I can see why. Cologne Sport is like a white sheeted ghost, all arms up, saying boo. The summer version is just its laid back little brother, albeit with a nice tan.

22nd March, 2005

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

After getting by for a while on sample vials of this one, I had to spring for a 3.4 oz bottle. This is my number one scent. Passage D'Enfer is Elegant and sexy and women love it. It's an easy choice for a first date or job interview. It smells a bit church-y with the incense. But it also reminds me of candle wax, smoke, and all the temporal conventions of a cathedral- as well as a kind of dark, brooding spiritual presence. It is a bit weaker than some other scents on me, but its very hard to overdo. If you're trying to seduce someone with an old-world fire and brimstone kind of scent, look no further than Passage D'Enfer. To paraphrase Dante', "Abandon all hope, ye who encounter this one!" This stuff is Inferno in a bottle...

04th March, 2005

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Skai by Comme des Garçons

I bought a bottle of this blind, and I'm really happy with it. It's a very nostalgic scent, with all of its plastic, vinyl, fake leather notes. It smells of alot of things from my childhood. It's quite forward with its unprecedented parade of plastics. But it also has a nice incense accord, and alot of spicy warmth. To me its like the offspring of Odeur 53 and one of the fragrances from the Incense series. Also, it reminds me a bit of a piece of burning white paper that has just been extinguished. Give it a shot!

26th February, 2005

Amber & Lavender by Jo Malone

I reviewed Amber & Lavender two years ago and I've decided to review it again.

I just came back from an out of town funeral for an uncle and I wore Amber & Lavender to the visitation. People always want to know what scents, if any, are appropriate for funerals. Some people think that one should not wear a fragrance.

I think that given the correct choice of fragrance, and moderate application, a certain aura of strength and respect can be communicated-- A bracing quality that others can lean on for comfort and familiarity in times of loss.

Jo Malone's Amber & Lavender is that perfect fragrance if ever one was created. It smells formal, but it isn't loud and narcissistic. It doesn't smell like clubbing cologne. It just radiates a tradional stoic dressed up masculine presence. It's just as minimalist as it needs to be. It just says two things, "I'm a man, and I'm here for you." Also, because of this, it would also be the ideal cologne to wear at one's own wedding. It just emanates a really basic trustworthiness that enhances ones own virtues. It doesn't make the wearer feel like a vain empty opportunist on the make--rather if you read his mind it would say "I'm a content and happy man, and I do not want what i haven't got." And by the way, women love that in a man.

Perfect in every way. This stuff really glows.

27th January, 2005 (Last Edited: 24th March, 2007)

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I bought Kouros after getting Kouros Cologne Sport (a personal fave, warm and embracing, yet standoffishly odd and bitter), and the Cologne Sport Eau D'Ete Summer Version (Which is the safest scent yet to spring forth from the Kouros bloodline.) Well, the original Kouros took me a LONG time to warm up to. I would occasionally sniff it at a testing counter, and each time walk away with a frown. "Too dated, not for me", or "Damn that's some odd stuff!" Finally I snagged a bottle, and now I can see why it was such a big seller internationally. While its not going to be an everyday kind of scent, it is an essential "Rosetta Stone" in my collection. A scent both animalistic and otherworldly. Heaven and Hell collide in this ivory bottle.
    Kouros...My "White Devil"

03rd December, 2004

Kouros Cologne Sport by Yves Saint Laurent

I found Kouros to be too dated and over the top, but there was still something in it I was intrigued by. I got the Kouros Cologne Sport and at first found it simultaneously revolting and magnetic. It reminded by of some nightmares I had. To me it smelled somewhat "funereal" and conjured up images of burial linens. Spooky. Yet, I've come to love Kouros Cologne Sport. Its fresh and yet has hints of otherworldly dark things floating though it. It paints vivid picures in my mind when I sniff it. It took me a long time to warm up to it, but now its one of my top 3. I don't care what anyone else thinks- I wear THIS one for me! I can't say enough about it.

16th September, 2004

Odeur 53 by Comme des Garçons

One of my favorite scents! Very different, kind of underwhelming at first sniff from the bottle, it smells like "refrigerated air". But then, when you wear it, you come to detect the notes of sand dunes, flaming rocks, thunderstorms. The scent is very sneaky. It smells great but nobody will think its a cologne. They will just think you smell nice naturally, like a cool breeze. There is nothing in Odeur 53 that you can pin down to an organic source such as grass, citrus, wood etc. It smells like the "weather"! Five Stars all the way!

06th August, 2004