Reviews by qxtc07

qxtc07's avatar
    qxtc07

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

This stuff is awesome. I'm sure this will get its fair share of hate, but from me, it gets love. It's a formal scent; I'd feel most comfortable wearing this with a suit. But it's a big, rich, elegant, gentlemanly, aristocratic power scent.

25 July, 2009

Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

Curry and maple syrup. I have no problem with harshness in fragrances per se, but it doesn't work for me here. The base is less objectionable than the top, but it's not worth the wait.

24 July, 2009

White Musk by Montale

I strongly dislike this. It smells like a soapy chemical like one would expect to find on dryer sheets. I could see it on a baby, as it does have that sort of powdery smell, but no thanks for me.

16 February, 2009

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Edited.

After wearing it a few times, this is wonderful. Dry crisp green smoky animalic. At first it was too dirty for me--like a forest with some sort of druid/spiritual burning ceremony (frankincense smells religious to me), witnessed by mosses and plants, AND animals--but now that I am a bit accustomed to it, I am not afraid.

Wow, just absolutely stunning.

18 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 July, 2009)

Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

What a stunning fragrance! The cassie, violet, and musky sandalwood are the notes that stand out the most for me, but this is a very complex fragrance to my nose. It is wet, powerful, and animalic--it makes me think of a jungle, full of both growth and decay. Violet is sometimes a difficult note for me if it is overpowering, but here I find it pleasantly challenging--still strong, but just enough restraint. I think the unisex label is correct on this one, although I personally like it much, much better on a female friend of mine than I like it on myself.

18 December, 2008

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is a rich, powerful scent that I would only wear in winter. The amber is flanked by some herbs, which make themselves known throughout. This fragrance makes me think of persian spice markets and, well, sultans. It is opulent, lush yet defined, and absolutely intoxicating. It smells exotic and will certainly be noticed. The scent has extraordinary sillage and longevity on me (in fact, I had to scrub it off my coat when I wanted to wear a different scent). I am still on the fence whether I will try to purchase more--but it's tough for me to stop thinking about it! It wouldn't surprise me if this was a love-or-hate sort of fragrance.

18 December, 2008

212 by Carolina Herrera

A female f wore this all the time and it was great. The drydown is the part that sticks out for me, as the longevity seemed impressive and I was always getting a whiff of it hours after application. And as for the content of that drydown, the muskiness is wonderful. I would imagine that this scent is more dependent than average on skin chemistry, as it is not so overpowering that it blocks out one's natural smell. As for the rest of the scent, I just remember the smell of white flowers, which I thought was balanced nicely against the musk and was a great combination.

20th November, 2008