Reviews by IPaidForThisName

Mojito by Demeter Fragrance Library

One of the best drinks ever made! This is a great refreshing, minty, and exotic ‘pick me up’ fragrances. Like all demeters, this could be a little more well made, but for the price, it’s great. My favorite drink rendition by Demeter.

Vanilia by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I agree that Vanilia is the most refined and complex vanilla. It’s really a treat to wear. While most vanilla is sweet and cloying, Vanilia is smoky, rich, and complex. It’s a great fragrance for winter.

L'Eau d'Ambre by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I don’t know why this is even sold, when Ambre Extreme is such a superior fragrance. This is basically just a watered down, short lived version of most Amber fragrances on the market. It almost seems like the Amber doesn’t even really take Center stage. I’d recommend the Ambre Extreme over this.

L'Eau d'Ambre Extrême / Ambre Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is a very interesting Ambre interpretation. There are floral notes in this fragrance that aren’t present in most other Ambre fragrances. Ambre Extrême is also plagued by what most people call a playdough note. I am must agree with them. There is an accord in this fragrance that smells eerily similar to playdough. This isn’t a bad thing, though. I love this fragrance.

Orange Cream Pop / Orange Cremecicle by Demeter Fragrance Library

This is very true to its name. This is a very soft, smooth, and sweet orange cremecicle fragrance. It lasts a little south of an hour, but I don’t think it was meant to worn like a traditional fragrance. It’s interesting and fun to sniff.

Subtil pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

This stuff is subtle, alright. This is a ‘me too’ synthetic smelling aquatic fragrance. It’s very boring, and very insipid. There is nothing about this fragrance that warrants owning a full bottle.

Echo by Davidoff

This fragrance is exactly what it is supposed to be: Urban and light. This is an inoffensive fragrance that has absolutely no depth. It is synthetic to the extreme and smells like fruit and metal. It’s pleasant enough, and stands out a tiny bit from all the ‘me too’ aquatics, but it’s far from special. The bottle is amazing, though.

Kenzoair by Kenzo

KenzoAir is great! This is such a unique fragrance. I smell mostly Vetiver and Anise, which makes for a very unusual fragrance. It’s light, but non in a traditional sense. I kind of think of KenzoAir as a chic version of Rive Gauche PH.

Ambra by Etro

I never thought I would call an Amber fragrance boring, or generic, but there isn’t really anything that stands out about Ambra, especially over other amber fragrances. There are much more interesting amber fragrances out there (Ambre Sultan, Ambre Extreme), and Ambra doesn’t even last that long on the skin. Not worth it, imho.

Desire Blue by Dunhill

This is yet another ‘me too’ aquatic. Did we really need this? With all the aquatic fragrances that have come out in the last couple of years, there is NOTHING unique or different about this fragrance. It’s awful. How can designers keep pumping these out?

Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This is a great fragrance in the FM line. This is one of the most chic Orientals I have come across. It starts with notes of almost crystallized orange. As it dries down, I get exotic spicy notes with a metallic accord. This is a wonderfully made fragrance dominated by floral notes and rich exotic spices. Wonderful.

Vetiver by Etro

This is a great vetiver interpretation. It’s much more dry and earthy than most. It’s a bit linear, but with the vetiver taking the center stage like it does, that’s not terribly surprising. This is definitely one of the better vetivers out there. It’s long lasting, dry, and very earthy.

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

VCA Pour Homme is an amazingly refined and upscale fragrance. It’s rich and heady. VCA Pour Homme is an earthy, leathery fragrance with hints of floral notes. This is a near perfect formal fragrance, or great for anytime you need that extra boost in confidence.

Touch for Men by Burberry

This smells very synthetic to my nose. It starts out with a plasticy sweet top, and then dries down to a slightly sweet, somewhat generic base. Not a terribly interesting fragrance. I can’t see a reason to own a bottle.

Tomato by Demeter Fragrance Library

I was a little disappointed smelling Tomato. I was expecting a rich lush tomato fragrance, but instead, I got a green tomato leaf based fragrance. It’s not quite as novel as it could be, simply because there are well crafted niche fragrances based on the tomato leaf that tower above this one in terms of quality.

Séxual pour Homme by Michel Germain

Sexual is an awful, sleazy fragrance. It lacks depth, and taste. The market campaign really compounds this; they market it as an aphrodisiac that is made to mimic sexual elixirs used ages ago. What a joke!!!!

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

Minotaure is a great floral/gourmand hybrid. It’s incredibly unique, and strikingly versatile. This is a great fragrance for romantic occasions. It’s not as long lasting as I’d like, but the beautiful blend of soft floral notes and rich oriental notes more than makes up for it. This is a beautiful fragrance.

Lemon Sorbet by Etro

It’s no secret that I hate lemon. This was better than many lemon based fragrances I have come across (Read: DG Masculine), but it was still a little too harsh for my liking. Also, its lasting power is abysmal. Way south of an hour of life on the skin. Not worth it.

Laundromat by Demeter Fragrance Library

This is an interesting fragrance. It smells a lot like fabric softener, or laundry detergent. I must say that CdG’s Dry Clean fragrance does the laundry theme MUCH better. This is a bit cheaper though. This is a fun pick me up, but there are better.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

This is a bit of a departure from most Aquatic fragrances. I wouldn’t call this really a ‘me too’ aquatic fragrance, but instead, I’d venture to say this is a bit more original. This has a sour, soapy top that most other aquatics do not have, and then it dries down to a base that is a little bit woodier than most aquatics. Issey Miyake is a victim of its own success. It’s very easily recognizable, and a vast number of people own it. I’ve had a few bottles, but ended up swapping all of them.

Knize Ten by Knize

Knize Ten is a great leather fragrance. It’s a little more one dimensional than many of the leather greats (Tabac Blond, Cuir Mauresque, etc), but still great. It’s a dry and rich leather fragrance that would surely please any leather lover.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Awful fragrance. I remember when I first joined basenotes, I noticed all the talk about Joop!. I finally had to ask “What is Joop!?” Joop! Is a grossly cloying and sweet. When I smell Joop, I get that feeling in my stomach like I just ate hundreds of pounds of Cotton Candy. It just makes me physically ill.

Cerruti Image by Cerruti

Imagine is a pretty boring run of the mill citrus fragrance. It’s pretty sweet, so the edge is taking off the citrus, and it’s pleasant, but still boring. I had a 50ML bottle that actually came in a plastic bottle (Wtf? Plastic?). I swapped it immediately.

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Habit Rouge is a fascinating fragrance. It never sat well with me; it had this raunchy and rough feel that very much put me off. I swapped my bottle away, and gave up on Habit Rogue. That is, until I tried the EdP. Habit Rouge EdP is a totally different animal; it’s rich, smoother, denser, and sweeter. It smells more akin to a better version of Habit Rouge with a dash of M7 thrown in. A must own.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I like GIT. GIT is a very well mannered complex and refined version of Cool Water. Joking aside, GIT does bear a slight resemblance to Cool Water. GIT is a great versatile fragrance that can be worn in any season. I think it leans toward casual use, but it can swing either way.

Gin & Tonic by Demeter Fragrance Library

I don’t know whether I should review the fragrance or the drink. Personally, I loathe Tonic water; I would rather drink 87 octane off the ground of a gas station. The high alcohol content in this fragrance makes the lemony tonic water accord come off even harsher than it should. Not my cup of tea.

Nu Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

NU by YSL is very interesting. It’s an unusual incense dominant fragrance is very well made. It smells very blue, if that makes any sense. I find it a bit easier to wear than say, Black Cashmere. This is an interesting try before you buy fragrance.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Angel is wonderful. Angel holds a place in the legends of perfume, right next to Chanel No. 5. Angel is a brilliant and innovative fragrance for women, that was such a huge departure; there are no floral notes in Angel. This is a sweet, rich gourmand fragrance for women. It’s delicate while being seductive and unique. Brilliant fragrance.

Prada (new) by Prada

I agree, Prada isn’t the most innovative fragrance, but it is certainly better than all the Polo Blue, AdG, and Issey Miyake clones out there. I was surprised that in this market Prada, of all designers, would release a heady, slightly earthy amber fragrance. This is a beautiful and well made fragrance.

Mitsouko by Guerlain

Mitsouko is a wonderfully rich and classical Guerlain. The peach note balances it out perfectly, and makes this a bit more wearable than many other classic Guerlain fragrances. I’d recommend every man and woman try this. It’s surprisingly unisex.