Reviews by Tony T

Herrera Aqua by Carolina Herrera

Classified as an Aromatic Aquatic by Fragrantica.. More of a light oriental/aquatic in my book..It does have some citrus in it though it's not the key factor in this scent.. Also their are some mild florals in the mid's before settling into a subtle musky drydown.. A change from most aquatics and worth giving a shot to but I prefer Rochas Aquaman to the aquatics but not really..
14th February, 2014

Series 4: Crust by Boris Bidjan Saberi by Six Scents Parfums

This is very boring..
Very subtle and bland..
No projection at all.. After an hour it's gone..
14th February, 2014

Encre Noire by Lalique

The opening is flawless. A bit of vetiver and bourbon for the first half hour.. Then I get a ton of musk.. The vetiver does not mix with the musk and the bourbon is gone.
Great opening with a terrible drydown.. I will retest it before the spring hits but I doubt I will change my mind..
12th February, 2014

Vanillary by Gorilla Perfume

Contrary to most reviews I find it smooth and elegant.. Not as sweet and immature..
A vanilla for grown up men and women.. Simplistic and artistic.. Only 3 notes and the folks at Lush managed to come up with a winner.. The Tonka adds some depth to a well blended floral vanilla.. Sillage is average as well as longevity.. A great casual scent..
10th February, 2014

Wings for Men by Wings

A big lavender bomb.Very synthetic and loud.. Some woods tone it down a bit but nevertheless it screams 1990's. Not recommended.
10th February, 2014

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Very dated imo.. A clash of notes that don't have good vibe.. Sweet and floral that could be unisex..I like some of the classics- Dunhill 34 - Eau Sauvage but not this!!
Good longevity and projection..
08th February, 2014

Aigner Black for Men by Etienne Aigner

Armani Code with light leather is what this is.. Too bad it does not project great but overall a good frag.. I don't have too much to add but at 40 bucks for 4.2 oz you can't go wrong.
08th February, 2014

Rocks by Original Penguin

I have had this one for months and am just getting around to it.. It opens up with an apple/spicy floral accord on a woody base.. Somewhat synthetic while being pleasant.. Not a lot of transistion through the duration of the scent.Very casual/daytime scent that screams safe!! I will wear it a few more times before I swap it.. Sillage is average and longevity is low..
07th February, 2014

Scent Intense by Costume National

Strange scent..Starts off an earthy overload of patchouli with slight hints of jasmine..
Projection and longevity are great.. Almost a darkness appears after an hour or so and then a mild musky amber.. Patch is still their but not as overwhelming.. Very unique even though it's a toughie to wear..
05th February, 2014

Arabian Nights by Jacques Bogart

One of the worst I have smelled in the past few years.. Up their with Passenger by St. Dupont.. It's a concoction thrown together awfully.. Nothing is in sync.. It lasts a long time but not my style at all.
03rd February, 2014 (last edited: 15th February, 2014)

Bogart Citytower by Jacques Bogart

The drydown is a bit powdery and subtle..
All of the basenotes remain close to the skin while the top notes remain constant. The oud/musk basenotes are very subtle as mentioned but sillage is ok.. Not worthy but at least the price is in the same line as other Bogart offerings..
03rd February, 2014

Gold Leather by Atelier Cologne

Great floral/fruity opening.. The orange strikes for 5 mins and then saffron an rum take over.. Plum and the floral notes are detected after about 15 mins and are very loud and upfront the way I like it.. One of the best openings I have smelled in some time. After about 3 hours of the lovely opening a very light leather scent appears as the tops and mids are totally gone.. I am not a leather fan, but this scent had so many positives going for it and then it's gone.. Very original and the leather does last some time albeit close to the skin..
02nd February, 2014

Lanvin L'Homme Sport by Lanvin

Not a bonafide sports scent..
More of a spicy/earthy frag..
Very little citrus in beginning which is fine..
The pepper/sage blend nice with patch/mossy drydown..
Overall it's somewhat synthetic and a bit below average but not a thumbs down..
Very affordable price..
31st January, 2014

Bois d'Ombrie by Eau d'Italie

As to date this is the most complex frag I have encountered..
It has a lot going on- some vetiver-green notes-tobacco to name a few..
Also some undertones of myrhh and incense.. I can see it as being overbearing to some but it settles into a grassy/tobacco concoction,,
Very daring and unsexy.. Strictly for the user..
Longevity is excellent while projection is adequate..
28th January, 2014

Armani Code Ultimate by Giorgio Armani

Another casual woody/vanilla frag.. The whole composition feels slight synthetic and generic.. It has the whole Code feel IMO but with more woods.. Projection is minimal.. Scent is ok but it's nothing new..
28th January, 2014

Sable Marocain / Morocco Sand by Phaedon

3 Down and 8 to go..
This is the 3rd I have sampled from this house..
Close to LIDG minus the patchouli.. A nice cocoa/citrus opening but not as loud as LIDG.
Then some transparent green mids followed by a slightly woody backdrop..
The cocoa remains throughout the scent as it becomes a light gourmand/oriental..
Not bad but not FB worthy..
Sillage is good but projection is tame.
26th January, 2014

Gant Adventure by Gant USA

I believe all Gant's are just about discontinued..
What a shame as the is a great alternative to the run of the mill aquatics..
Longevity is superb and projection is solid..
Very clean and spicy opening that reminds me of Rochas Aquaman if only for 15 mins. The musk kicks in to balance the citrus top notes.. I might hang on to my bottle for certain summertime occasions..
25th January, 2014

07 Tanoke by Odin New York

Incense is not listed in the pyramid but this is an incense frag.. Great projection and longevity unlike Avignon which is a bit more tamed.. I prefer this as the Frank and Patch give it a more edgier feel.. This could be a Holy Grail frag but I must wear it a few more times.. This is for ppl that like loud incense frag's only so plz be aware!!
24th January, 2014

Black by Comme des Garçons

A total gem from beginning to end.. A very woody mellow concoction.. It starts a bit spicy but the incense and variety of woods kick in shortly thereafter.. Birch and cedar give it a warm and comforting edge while the incense remains in tact.. I don't pick up leather or vetiver but that is a good thing.. Good longevity and sillage but not mind blowing.. Great scent at a great price!!
24th January, 2014

Miracle Homme by Lancôme

From the pyramid and perfumer you would think this would be a 4 star scent.Wrong.
As mentioned before this is a soft-subtle-boring scent.. I have bought and sold Miracle on and off for the past few years.. With it being discontinued sometimes it can fetch a nice penny. It's my SOTD that I will wash off very soon or take another shower.. It's opening is a slightly spicy/woody opening (Cedarwood).. Also I get some synthetic syrup that is not pleasing.. It ends with a bland coffee note and retains some of the woodiness.. The bad thing is that it's undectable after an hour or so and has no projection at all.. It could work in the office but that's it..
23rd January, 2014

Pure Azure by Phaedon

A floral with a prominent fig note.. Fleur Du Male rings a bell..
Not as loud and straight forward..
A more tamed and mature version..
Not as floral as the JPG..
I will enjoy my sample but will not pursue this scent..
20th January, 2014

Royal Water by Creed

A very obnoxious lemon infused frag..
Longevity and projection are above average for this type of scent but I don't enjoy it.
Very one dimensional and lame..
One of the worst Creed's along with Tabarome
20th January, 2014

1 Million Intense by Paco Rabanne

A saffron bomb!!
From beginning to ending..
Not the artificial cloying type as the original..
Darker and more adult..
Saffron with bits of leather is what I get..
18th January, 2014

Boss in Motion White Edition by Hugo Boss

Pineapple and amber..
Where are they?
Bergamot and musk are the main notes.
maybe a little pepper..
As mentioned before a very safe and subtle boring scent..
17th January, 2014

Volutes Eau de Toilette by Diptyque

Based on the pyramid I expected more..Myrrh-pepper-saffron just to name a few that are undetectable.. I just sprayed it 5 times an hour or so ago and get only slight hints of iris and tobacco.. I thought this would be a standout from Diptyque but I was wrong.. Luckily I got is as a free sample and did not spend cash on this.. Now I must try my sample of Tam Dao..
17th January, 2014

Connected Reaction by Kenneth Cole

Very loud opening of fruits and violet.. I smell lime even though it's not in the pyramid.. The opening is best part of this scent..Somewhat of spicy midnotes and then no basenotes at all.. I got about 3 hours of sillage from it..
07th January, 2014

In the City of Sin by By Kilian

Floral-Incense and cedar is what I detect..The fruity aspects of apricot and plum are non detectable to my nose.. The Turkish Rose element gives off a unisex appeal combined with the basenotes.. Like most By Kilian's the projection is weak while the sillage is 6-8 hours..Very well balanced scent but leaves a lot to be desired..
04th January, 2014

Insensé Ultramarine Wild Surf by Givenchy

Opens with a light lime/melon accord and dries down to a musky base..
The fruity opening remains in the drydown in a light/tamed manner..
It's ok for the price.
03rd January, 2014

Legend Intense by Montblanc

Not much of a change from the original.. Maybe a bit fruitier due to the synthetic pineapple/apple opening..Some florals in the middle then a synthetic Tonka drydown.
Slightly better than the original but not FB worthy.
03rd January, 2014

Kinski by Escentric Molecules

Very animalistic powerhouse..
Like riding a Harley through a tornado..
Too many notes to mention but the major players are vegetal/leather and moss..
Very deep and dark..
Somehow floral and patchouli break through also giving it the vegetal/earthy quality.
I respect it but would never buy or wear in public..
02nd January, 2014