Reviews by depmodal

depmodal's avatar
    depmodal

Fire Island by Bond No. 9

I looked on the bottle for the SPF rating because this smells like an exact copy of Bain de Soliel Orange Gelee. Save yourself some money and some ultraviolet rays, run to Wally World and get the original.

22 September, 2009

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

A personal favorite. Masculine and clean. After the refreshing minty top note comes the warm dry-down, reminiscent of that great talcum the barber would dust across the back of your freshly buzzed neck. Well blended, a bit synthetic, but who cares? Great sillage and longevity.

27 December, 2008

Escada Moon Sparkle for Men by Escada

I agree it is difficult to categorize this scent. While there are no particular predominate notes the blend is very pleasant. I detect vetyver, citrus and woody accords. All that said, the women in my office unanimously love it. I couldn't resist sniffing my arm throughout the day where I had applied it . The longevity is excellent.

Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9

Proof positive ‘basenotes’ are where it's at. Initially, the top notes were overwhelmingly too heavily incensed and discordant (sweet/metallic) with the florals for me. On dry down, the wood resin and cedarwood emerge to warm things up. Be patient because it takes some time for it to all settle nicely on a syrupy amber basenote where the excellent blend resonates with superior longevity. A favorite of the Bond No9 line.

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

Definitely a huge, mature and formal fragrance, nothing subtle about this one. I know VC&P are a reputable house and this must be "expertly blended" and all of that. That said, I understand the intimidation of writing the first negative review of this scent. Trust me, I tried on several occasions to like this one. It just evokes images of some pretentious fat-cat tycoon type who thinks cardio is the walk from the t-box to the golf cart, wears his shirt open with an expensive suit, and thinks monogrammed initials on his cuffs are prestigious. He "discretely" makes a show of his cigar smoking. You can detect slight remnants of gasoline spilled while filling his leather interiored Lincoln Continental despite the HUGE bouquet of carnations he brought to impress the lady. This may appeal to many. It kind of makes me vomit in my mouth a little bit.

Original Vetiver by Creed

Sorry, but after drydown all I was left was a strong soapy perfumy headache.

29 April, 2008

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

Very brief top note of citrus gives way to raspberry, which dominates. Lavender fights for it's life to save it, but perhaps sweetens it further thus cheapening it into a noxious fruity candy. The slow to evolve woodsy base is a little too little and a little too late. Perhaps a junior high scent?

25 April, 2008