Reviews by Goldaline

Goldaline's avatar
    Goldaline

Lauren by Ralph Lauren

I love this fragrance. I wore it in the early to mid 80's, and it always drew compliments from both sexes. The RL fragrances that came after this one cannot hold a candle to it. Also, the bottle, both shape and colour, are a joy to behold.

I am suprised to read hear that this fragrance is still in production as I have not seen it in the shops [in England] since about 1993. If anyone can tell me where I can buy a bottle, please do! I'd also be interested to know what this fragrance's constituents are, and who who created this wonderful scent......

15th March, 2009

Allure Eau de Parfum by Chanel

I like the smell of the EDP, but sadly, like most Jacques Polges fragrances, including Mademoiselle and Coco, it tends to give me a bad headache. The problem is that I'm prone to migraines, and this one is a deifnite trigger. I think the main culprit is the bourbon vanilla.

But the smell and "allure" of this fragrance, objectively speaking, is very good: it's a sophisticated scent, with both timeless and modern appeal. It also has great sillage; and while a linear fragrance, it does adjust to the chemistry of the wearer to produce her own nuanced and unique scent.

I envy those who can wear it. I wish I could.

21st February, 2009

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

I bought Paris EDT in 1983, the very week it was launched in Harrods in London. I took a chance because I couldn't really smell it as I had a streaming cold. As I'd loved Opium; Rive Gauche, and Yves, I thought the chances were I'd like Paris, too. And I did. I wore it constantly for 3 years. I particularly liked the rose/violet mix, which I found uplifiting. I got lots of compliments on the fragrance, (but I also knew a couple of people who hated it on me.)

But has Paris been reformulated? Feeling nostalgic, I tried it again recently in a department store, and it smelt much sweeter than I remembered. It reminded me a little of Red Dior, which I can't stand. Or perhaps it's just my chemistry that's changed? It's a great fragrance, though, in a class of its own.

28th January, 2009

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

I don't like the mild and faintly sweet fruity dry down of this fragrance: last time I sprayed this on the back of my hand, every sniff reminded me of my late grandmother's rice pudding, complete with vanilla and cinamon pods. Go figure! But thankfully, the smell didn't last long and had very little sillage.

It's a pity this scent is so underwhelming, as the bottle and the advertising campaign are magnificent.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

I live in England and this scent is nowhere to be seen in this country. Every department store claims it's been discontinued, but it hasn't according to basenotes.

Several years ago, I bought the body lotion and just wore that. It was enough: my body warmed the lotion and I was enveloped in the scent all day.

I find this scent to be very comforting and quite sexy. I like the vanilla, which is not overdone, the spice, and the smokiness. It's very unique. The sales assistant who first sold it to me said that it was created to capture the smell of the streets of New York. I never found out whether or not that was true, but as someone who just loves New York City, it sure did help to sell it to me.

I'd love to repurchase this fragrance, either in the spritz form or the body lotion form, and wish I could find it in the UK.

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

A truly great and refreshing scent, lovely when sprayed cold straight from the fridge on a hot day. I agree that it doesn't last long, but it's light enough to be reapplied frequently.

It's easily as nice as the pricier Guerlain eaux, suits both men and women, has an uplifitng effect on mood, and is suitable for all ages. No wonder it has stood the test of time!

Oyédo by Diptyque

This was my first Diptyque fragrance and I love it. It reminds me of the smell of orange groves at the height of summer. It gives me a psychological lift at any time of the year. It's nice to layer this fragrance with the shower gel and shampoo. The Oyedo candle is also fantastic!

23rd December, 2008

Jean Paul Gaultier Classique by Jean Paul Gaultier

The EDP is a different fragrance from the EDT because they have different constitutents. The bottles are different, too, so I don't know why some people are so confused about the fact that they smell different!

I prefer the EDT. It's a pleasant fragrance and long lasting. My only problem with it is that it's so popular here in England that one tends to smell it on virtually every young woman and it's instantly recognisable as JPG.

03rd December, 2008

Shalimar by Guerlain

Shalimar is currently my favourite winter fragrance, along with its cousin, Jean Desprez's Bal a Versailles. But I can only wear the EDP, which is more mellow, more leathery, and less sweet than the EDT.

08th November, 2008

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

A lovely, fresh, citrus and herbaceous scent, ideal for summer for both sexes. I just wish it lasted longer on my skin, but lack of longevity notwithstanding, this is an excellent fragrance which deserves its classic status.

06th November, 2008

Amour Amour by Jean Patou

I bought a bottle of Amour Amour in 1989, before it had been discontinued, and I used the entire 50 ml bottle in a matter of weeks. I still have the empty bottle! The scent was indescribable. It reminded me of the kind of fragrance that a society woman would wear when holidaying on the QE2. It was distinctive and floral, but not sweet at all. I thought there were some violets in there, and possibly some vetiver. It did not remind me at all of JOY, which I had used throughout 1987 and 1988. I'd love for this fragrance to be re-introduced. It's pure class!

06th November, 2008

Must de Cartier II by Cartier

I LOVE this fragrance. I think it must be partly because of the vetiver base note. I first smelt Must de Cartier II on a young woman from Madrid whom I met while touring the USA, and I immediately bought a bottle for myself. Whenever I wore it, I felt truly fabulous. But now I want to buy another bottle, and I can't find it anywhere. (I live in England). Has it been discontinued? It would be a real, real shame if it has. TEN thumbs up for this fantastic fragrance which, by-the-way, also smells wonderful when layered over the Must de Cartier EDP (which is a different scent) body lotion.

01st November, 2008

L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake

I loved this fragrance when it was first launched in 1992, but when I tried it again in 2005, I found that I didn't like it anymore. I think this is partly because it had become so commonplace, and partly because my taste had changed. I now much prefer the very similar Escape by Calvin Klein. But L'Eau D'Issey was very cutting edge when first launched, and it deserves its place as an iconic fragrance.

29th October, 2008

Heure Exquise by Annick Goutal

This is my favourite Annick Goutal scent. It reminds me a lot of Chanel 19, but it is much nicer in my view, and has far greater staying power. I'd describe it as a green scent, despite its fairly powdery dry-down, and I think it is the predominance of iris which makes this scent so extra-special, and which draws comparisons with Hermes 'Hiris'. It really is an exquisite fragrance - aptly named Heure Exquise - which draws compliments galore. If you haven't tried it yet, you should!

29th October, 2008

Jolie Madame by Pierre Balmain

Jolie Madame is distinctive and very well balanced, but then its creator, Germaine Cellier, was an exceptional perfumer, being the creator of the iconic Fracas, as well as other beautiful fragrances like Visa and Vent Vert.

I particularly love the vetiver note in Jolie Madame, and I even like the violet which, tempered by the leather, manages not to be too sweet.

Jolie Madame is one of my favourite chypres. I always get compliments when I wear it, and it has an uplifting effect on my mood.

Jolie Madame = pure joy!

28th October, 2008

Lime, Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone

This is Jo Malone's signature scent. It's the first Jo Malone I purchased, and I have had several bottles since then. I also have the shower gel and body cream, and I layer all three together for wonderful sillage. I'd also like to buy the soap, hair shampoo, hair conditioner and bath oil! It's a distinctive fragrance which (to me at least) is is uplifting and vibrant, and perfect for the warm weather. It especially appeals to people who like citrus and herb notes, but it's not for everyone. So try it on your skin before you purchase!

24th October, 2008

Tocade by Rochas

I purchased this fragrance after reading Luca Turin's very positive review. It's a truly lovely scent: the rose calms the sweetness of the vanilla, and warmed by the amber, it develops into something quite exquisite after an hour on the skin. In my opinion, it's a far nicer scent than either Maurice Roucel's L'Instant or Insolence (for Guerlain), and it has the added appeal of being much less available in the shops and therefore less commonly worn.

24th October, 2008 (Last Edited: 23rd December, 2008)

Rochas Femme (new) by Rochas

Hats off to Olivier Cresp! I love this fragrance, including its name 'Femme'. It is full bodied and generous and very French chic, and the shape of the bottle exudes grown up womanhood. I get the peach, plum, and cumin notes but I am unable to identify the others, except perhaps some rose? Its dry down is an unmistakable chypre, but a chypre with a difference. There is nothing else like it on the market. It has remarkable sillage, too. I wear it only in the autumn and winter months - but sparingly - and I get lots of compliments (but mostly from women). So, if you want a classic fragrance with a difference, try this one. You must test before buying, though, because it doesn't suit everybody.

12th September, 2008

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent

I wore this fragrance in its original formulation as a student. It made me feel cofident and self assured, and very Parisienne chic, and I loved the blue/black bottle. Feeling sentimental about my student days, I purchased a bottle recently and this is the new formulation. It seems softer than the original, but just as perfect in its balance and distinctiveness. What I particularly like about RG - old and new - is the drydown, which smells to me of vetiver, oakmoss, and rose, and lasts for hours. This is a scent which can be worn day or night, summer or winter, and is truly different from anyhting else on the market. The British perfumer Miller Harris rates this fragrance highly and refers to it as a true classic which has inspired her.

05th September, 2008

Trussardi by Trussardi

I'm about to give a woman's review of Trussardi: I cannot speak highly enough of this fragrance. Never having seen it in a department store, I first came across it when a dynamic young woman whom I met in Miami introduced it to me as her favourite fragrance. I subsequently found a bottle to purchase for myself in an off-beat perfume store on South Beach. This was some time ago, and I have been a devoted fan of the fragrance ever since. It is both unique and exclusive in that it is sold in very few places. On me, the fragrance is faintly sweet and powdery, but with a marked patchouli / sandalwood / cedar influence. The fragrance has remarkable sillage and staying power. It always draws compliments, especially from men. I'm surprised that it isn't more widely demanded and available. You need to try this fragrance to believe how good it is.

05th September, 2008

Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain

I bought this fragrance in the EDT strength when it was first launched in 1983. It was the first Guerlain that I ever owned. I met my husband shortly after I started to wear it, and he loved it. I subsequently moved on to other Guerlains, like Mitsouko and Jicky.... But I just bought Jardins de Bagatelle again, this time in the EDP strength. I still love it! It makes me feel very special. To me, this fragrance is essentially a tuberose fragrance, which ranks alongside the likes of the legendary and beautiful Robert Piguet's 'Fracas', and the more recently launched 'Tuberose' by the House of Caron. It has tremendous lasting power, and it is both distinctive and elegant. It never fails to draw compliments. So, next time you are at the Guerlain counter, ask for a spritz of Jardins de Bagatelle, and feel special!

14th August, 2008