Reviews by zenana

zenana's avatar
    zenana

Fracas by Robert Piguet

Is there such a thing as a floral gourmand? That's what this is for me -- it smells like a slightly overripe, very rare tropical fruit, a delicacy found only on possibly one remote island in the Pacific. I recognize the orange flower and the jasmine right away, the tuberose now that you mention it, and the rest is just endlessly complex. The first time I tried this on, I thought, "oh noooo." The second time, I was in love. Very complicated, hypnotic fragrance. For special occasions.

25th August, 2010

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent

I get compliments every time I wear RG, but it's very hard for me to take on my own skin; I find it overpowering even in a light spray (and I'm talking the new stuff). That said, there's nothing else that smells remotely like this fragrance -- absolutely individual and a real classic.

20th August, 2010

Mitsouko by Guerlain

I've been living with Mitsouko for a while, and finally decided that it just doesn't hold up as a contemporary fragrance. Mitsouko is as melancholy and nostalgic as a packet of love letters tied up with ribbon and hidden in an old steamer trunk. But unlike Chanel No. 5 and Shalimar -- literally worn by everyone and their mother (and grandmother!) -- it no longer smells "of the moment" to me. Hate to say it, but there's a distinctly maiden-aunt air to this, and I could never bring myself to wear it in public, much as I appreciate its art, its mystery, and its history.

19th August, 2010

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Opening: Somebody took off their sweaty athletic shoes in a bicycle store. Middle: Then rolled in chicken poop wearing a leather jacket. A macho scent, and not a particularly interesting one -- it shares characteristics with lots of other "unisex" perfumes. Reminds me a bit of Bulgari Black, which I like much better. Hard to imagine this on any but the most androgynous woman.

18th August, 2010

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The tea is not overwhelming for me -- the opening burst of cinnamon is almost too much, but that dissipates quickly, leaving a clear, rich dry tobacco -- like the inside of a smoke shop. Or, as someone suggested earlier, like the smell of clove cigarettes lingering on clothes a day later. On drydown the warm spices emerge again. The danger is one might end up smelling just a bit too much like a Pier One candle. But close to the skin, on a guy, this would be dynamite, totally sexy.

18th August, 2010

Odalisque by Nicolaï

On me this barely smells floral at all -- more like a very pleasant but pronounced human body odor. As it dries down it softens considerably and by hour three I could barely smell it at all on my own wrist. Something in it reminds me of Rive Gauche. Very interesting and unique, but I'm not sophisticated enough yet to say what that note is.

15th August, 2010

Jicky by Guerlain

I'm glad to have sampled this for the historic perspective, but as a woman, this fragrance is far too masculine on me -- I smell like somebody's banker Daddy. I'm really surprised this is considered unisex. I'll stick with my Shalimar.

14th August, 2010

Diorella by Christian Dior

Tried this for the first time today; when I first put it on I thought, oh, no, much too feminine and old fashioned for me. But now that it's drying down I can clearly imagine how this would smell on a man -- delicious -- and I get all the buoyant summertime bottled up inside it. As another reviewer mentioned, I think I've smelled this many times on others without realizing it. My go-to floral scent has been EL's Beyond Paradise for a couple of years; I think Paradise may have to move over for Diorella.

14th August, 2010

L by Lolita Lempicka

First blast was all Nag Champa incense and root beer. I thought, "Never!" Now that it's drying down it's acquired some subtlety, and I can actually imagine wearing it occasionally if I was feeling like a kid in a candy store. I'm not a big fan of gourmands -- gave my full bottle of Angel to my mother (who loves it, and smells great in it). I can see how this would be amusing as part of a large wardrobe, sort of like having a big pink flower-studded Easter hat wrapped up in tissue paper.

13th August, 2010

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

Try this one over Bvlgari Black. With the leather of Cuir de Russie and the rubber of Black, you'll smell exactly like the show room of a Jaguar dealership.

11th August, 2010

Rochas Femme (original) by Rochas

When I was 18 or 19 in the mid 70s, the most exotic person I ever met wore this perfume, and everything in her little tropical apartment, from her satin sheets to her Persian rugs to her 40s vintage house dresses, smelled of it. She was Parisian, wore fire-red nails and long scarves, brewed espresso in a crusty old bialetti, and was completely independent in mind, body, and sensibility. She had a big hound dog called Plume that she took with her everywhere. I just bought a sample of the vintage Femme and it all comes back. A gorgeous, timeless, impossibly sexy fragrance that I'll wear now with a nod to my old friend -- if only I could ever be such a blithe spirit.

10th August, 2010

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

This one has all the right elements to suit me, from the rosy top notes down to the woody oriental base. It does have a strange, medicinal hospital quality that sort of reminds me of the spa. But alas, my partner hates it so much she's begged me to stop wearing it. For sure you need a very very light hand with this one, as it can be overpowering. The dry down reminds me of vintage Rochas Femme. I try to sneak it on occasionally and hope she won't notice.

10th August, 2010

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

I love Shalimar and Mitsouko, but I have to agree with those who find antiseptic notes in L'Heure Bleue -- I ordered a sample of the vintage perfume, and after half an hour, this still smells almost exactly like my dentist's office, right down to the taste of the mouth gargle, some ugly menthol wafting through it. Or maybe like an old-fashioned pharmacy. I almost can't stand it. Waiting impatiently for the dry down, but I wouldn't wear this because the top notes are so off-putting, on me at least. Sad.

09th August, 2010

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

Delicious! This one was a real surprise for an inexpensive scent -- absolutely beautiful, a very bright but creamy floral. Definitely something to wear casually, every day, and just fine for a woman of 50 + as well as young girls. Love it love it love it, and I'm usually not a fan of florals. The citrus notes cut the sweetness.

01st May, 2008

Angel by Thierry Mugler

wow, what an experience. on first spray this smells exactly like you've sunk into a vat of ice cream with caramel and chocolate sauce -- there's a sharp, sour whiff of berries. I got very little patchouli. By the end of the night, and on my clothes next day, the stuff smelled exactly like unwashed bodies covered up with a lot of baby powder. I agree with all reviewers that this is an "exciting" fragrance, but it's also nauseating -- I'd NEVER wear it. I'm giving my bottle to my mother, who loves it. She said she used to wear it and adored it but that everyone who smelled her hated it.

26th April, 2008