Reviews by goneaway

goneaway's avatar
    goneaway
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligon's

Hammam is a Turkish bath - stuffy, sweet-smelling and a bit overwhelming. If that's the way you want to smell, this is for you. Since older fragrances tend to be pretty simple and linear, it's hard to find one that's really, really offensive but this one is just...yuck. Probably just me...

13 December, 2008

Liù by Guerlain

Like so many of the early abstract Guerlain perfumes, this is interesting but not appealing. Aldehydic and somewhat powdery, I enjoy this most as an ambient scent. Added to sweet almond oil and allowed to simmer in an oil burner, it creates a great atmosphere for watching Fritz Lang movies and drinking absinthe martinis. But on the skin (my skin, anyway), even the lightest application is both chest-crushingly heavy and unpleasantly artificial. In addition, while it starts off as a fairly complex fragrance for the time, it doesn't seem to develop much on drydown. I'm glad I tried it for the history, but it's not something I'd wear out - too unapproachable and self-insistent.

13 December, 2008

Les Larmes Sacrées de Thebes by Baccarat

I could MARINATE in this! And immediately file for bankruptcy, of course. I was struggling to describe the top notes until reading Jemimagold's review. "Thyme" is a dead-on description. Spicy, happy, and sparkling, for me this always retained a little more pepper than Parfum Sacre but its added body is part of its charm. I'm in love again!

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

OK, I shouldn't even admit this, but I ran out of new things in the Sephora sample bin and picked up a sample of this, thinking I might use it on linens if nothing else. The bottled scent was intriguing so I put it on and, two days later, had to order the full sized EDT. I really think this is a unisex fragrance - the lavender and vanilla soften the woodsy scent without turning it into something girly. This is a great work scent for a confident woman. Like other reviewers, I found the persistence to be less than ideal. It's fun while it lasts, though!

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

This is a perfectly nice fragrance that starts off as amber and vanilla and ends up as spice cake and vanilla. It's a very simple scent from start to finish. Like that unmarried friend with a great face, figure and personality who never seems to go out, this is, for no discernible reason, monumentally unsexy. I think it's just too simple - there are no hidden depths to catch the attention and fire the imagination.

I am SO giving a bottle of this to my teenaged daughter! :-)

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Sharp. Medicinal. Powdery. Overly sweet. If I'd stuck with the reviews, I would not have purchased this unsniffed, but I'm so glad I did! I don't even know what made this my first blind fragrance purchase, but the moment I smelled it I knew it was the perfume for me. It is, quite simply, bottled sophistication and confidence. Its unabashed neroli and bergamot top notes are presented without the usual apologetic citrus notes to brighten it. Instead of a lemon- or grapefruit-induced sparkle, this fragrance glides like a snake with hips. It is classified as a floral oriental, but there is an unusual dark, confident, sultry note that removes it completely from the dreaded grandma's-powdered- flowery scent I feared. Vanilla keeps it rounded, but it maintains its character all the way through to the fabulous woodsy-iris drydown. It has depth, subtlety, and presence from beginning to end.

Mitsouko by Guerlain

I'm giving this a qualified thumbs-up. On me, at least, this stays very close to the scent in the bottle - it doesn't morph much and it doesn't persist awfully well. The strange, disturbing note others have mentioned is, I think, nothing more than the overtly artificial scent of the synthetic peach scent. Very bright, without a lot of complexity. I don't notice much change from beginning to end - it settles down a bit but doesn't evolve much. When the aldehyde begins to fade, one is left with a fairly linear floral that really does smell like someone's grandmother. Mine.

That said, it is interesting, unusual, and well worth an occasional spritz when I want to play at being someone else for a while.

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

This is fun! Fresh without being watery, deep and rich without being overbearing...this is a very clean, almost athletic scent, but with an underlying femininity. Every phase of this fragrance is clear-cut and very clean. On me, the citrus and, later, the vetiver overpower the middle notes and it ends up a bit linear, but on friends I've known it to become more complex. It will never be my daily go-to but it will always be an enjoyable change.