Reviews by tanto

tanto's avatar
    tanto

Perry Ellis for Men (original) by Perry Ellis

I totally agree with Jon_Remy. This was the best of all of the Perry Ellis fragrances. It had a sultry "spicy" character to it and the dry down was equally nice. This fragrance has all of the qualities that today's modern fragrances lack and most of all......it has richness to it!

28 March, 2010

Escada Homme by Escada

Dated? Yes! Who cares when this is such an appealing, elegant fragrance. This is an old time favorite of mine and I still enjoy wearing it. The opening is strong but settles to a warm, boozy, vanilla, musky dry down. I think Escada Homme definitely deserves to be in the "classic" category.

27 February, 2010

Mitsouko by Guerlain

This is the most beautiful of all of the Guerlain scents for women. Exquisite! Whenever my wife wears this (usually for special occasions) I am actually intoxicated from it. To me it is a real turn on but the wearer needs to be a very sophisticated, fashionable, and classy woman in order to wear Mitsouko correctly and get the full benefits of this timeless fragrance.

06 February, 2010

St Johns West Indian Lime by West Indies Bay Company

This is a really fresh smelling cologne. It smells soooooo clean and invigorating. The only downside is that its longevity is very limited, maybe 20mins. Too bad because it smells really good. They should make this in a eau de toilette strength.

04 February, 2010

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

This is one scent I really can't figure out. Too me, it's "syrupy". I don't hate it nor do I love it. By the way, the 4.2oz EDT spray is now available at Marshall's for $26.99

26 January, 2010

Ombre Rose L'Original by Jean-Charles Brosseau

This is such a lovely fragrance. It has a very soft rose scent, while being powdery but most of all, so very feminine. My wife has worn this since the 80's. Although she has many other perfumes, Ombre Rose is my favorite on her. There's something about this scent that's just so, I don't know........?

18 January, 2010

Kanøn by Kanon

The first time I tried this was in 1970. Bloomingdale's in NYC carried it back then. I wore this for a while and really liked it. Later on, my wife bought me Royal Copenhagen which smelled very similar to Kanon but I still liked Kanon a bit more. I know that this scent is back on the market but I've never see it anywhere. If available, I would gladly buy it again and I don't really care if this is a dated scent because I like it anyway!

12 January, 2010

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

Who cares if Safari is a little dated. To me, it's a classic. This scent is warm, manly, fresh, and clean. Excellent longevity, too. I work in NYC and many times when I have corporate meetings or perhaps lunch with clients, I like to wear Safari because it is "safe" and not cloying in any possible way. This is a good "business man's" scent because it subtle and lends to professionalism. Safari deserves a thumbs up!

17 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 23 January, 2010)

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

It has taken me a while to acquire a liking to this fragrance. OK, it is somewhat simple but also pleasant. It reminds me so much of D & G Light Blue for women but that's also fine with me. I do like the mix of the fruits and herbs. On my skin, the drydown does "throw-off" a pleasant musk and amber mixture. Usually fragrances like this do not last too long on me due to my swarthy complexion however, this one does. It is a good "staple" fragrance and can fit almost any occasion or time of day. My wife says it smells sexy on me when I start to sweat a bit.

15 December, 2009

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I have always enjoyed YSL fragrances but M7 to me is repulsive. It reminds me of a disinfectant like Iodine or Betadine. Somethng you smell in a hospital ER. Yes, it does have a certain spicy quality to it but the "medicinalness" to it outweighs everything else. Not for me!

09 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2010)

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Kouros to me was the greatest scent for men back in 1981. I wore it for a few years. Recently I sniffed it and realized that what was appeal to me at 30yrs old is no longer of appeal at 60yrs old. I coulldn't imagine myself wearing this now. Overpowering is the best word to describe what it smells like to me today. As some Basenoters have stated, it smells like a urinal cake, semen, and a heavy dose of potent man sweat. Not for me!

09 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2010)

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

After being on the market for almost six years, this is one fragrance that to this day I still can't seem to figure out. It does nothing for me......neither here, nor there.

08 December, 2009

Bel Ami by Hermès

Bel Ami was a favorite of mine which I always wore in the late 80's and early 90's. I love the leather, chypre mixed with citrus. Back then, Bel Ami was so avante garde and ahead of its time. I purchased a bottle last year and was upset because I could not wear it any longer without getting a migraine headache. There is nothing wrong with Bel Ami. I realized that fragrances are like foods and medications, too. You can develop an allergic reaction to them at any time. Fortunately my son loves Bel Ami so the full bottle I gave to him and it was not wasted. Bel Ami is a real classic scent that although I am unable to wear it any longer it still merits a "thumbs up".

07 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 March, 2010)

Vetiver by Guerlain

Vetiver is an old classic that never goes out of style. It always smells fresh and clean on any guy. I like it because it blends well with my body chemistry being I'm a swarthy, hairy guy, and can sweat very easily. It keeps me smelling fresh all day long and I never get a headache from Vetiver. My wife uses it sometimes too because she just loves the freshness it has to it.

29 November, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 March, 2010)

Patou pour Homme (original) by Jean Patou

Exquisite! This is the only word that can describe Patou pour Homme. It was so perfectly blended. Manly, classy, and expensive smelling. It was in a category of its own and nothing today can even come close to this masterpiece. What a pity that it was discontinued.

10th November, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 February, 2010)

Aqua Velva New Musk by Williams

This is a nice, warm musk. It's made in an after shave/cologne so it does last for quite some time. OK, it is certainly not a designer fragrance but it is still pleasant to wear and smell. I like to call this a "comfort fragrance" (just like "comfort food"). As this fragrance wears throughout the day it smells real manly in a very natural way. It is a very clean "non-perfumy" type of scent and everyone says it smells the way a man should smell.

06 November, 2009

Sex Appeal for Men by Jovan

This is a very warm, earthy scent and somewhat spicy, too. It reminds me so much of Pierre Cardin for Men as mentioned by Car1999, in his review. Actually this scent was very popular in the mid to late 70's in all of the NYC disco's. I used to wear it then and enjoyed it. I recently purchased a bottle at my local Rite Aid for $16.00 for a 4oz splash of the after shave/cologne. It was really fun to wear this to the office and here all of the wonderful comments from the young ladies (all in there 20's, of course!). What made me laugh is that they have no idea how old this stuff really is. Yes, sometimes "old is new" and still very pleasing.

02 November, 2009

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

This scent is pleasant to wear in the begining after application but the longevity is so short. On me anyway, it lasts less than 1 hour. Afterwards, it smells like a carpenter with perspiration odor. Almost embarrassing! If I want to smell this way all I need to do is work out at the gym for an hour. I'd say it's a useless fragrance because it serves no purpose.....:"neither here nor there".

Brit for Men by Burberry

To me, this smells like a bug repellent. Nothing more to say about it.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Classy, rich, manly, and subtle. i still like it after 23 years on the market.

Imprévu by Coty

So many girls in high school used to wear this. It was real nice and pleasant to smell. Gosh, it brings back many memories of some pretty "hot" times. Too bad it was discontinued because so often many frags can withstand the test of time......Imprevu is one of those frags!!

Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

Dunhill for Men deserves being in the "Classic Fragrance League". I was first introduced to it by my friend when I was a junior in high school. I liked it from the first time I tried it (that was 44yrs ago and I was only 16yrs old). This is on the top of my favorites list. It opens up with a clean citrusy mix and eventually turns into a warm, leathery, musky scent which is 100% male. Lasts all day long, too. It's never "out of place" nor too light or too heavy either. It's subtle, long lasting (but not cloying) and has excellent sillage. The only downside is that since Dunhill frags have been taken over by P & G, this is very hard to find in all dept stores. Fortunately, many of the apothacaries in NYC (where I live) do carry it and so does the Dunhill store!!

17 October, 2009

Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne by Helmut Lang

I liked this fragrance from the very begining! As most of the reviews state, its slightly vanilla, musky, buttery an most of all PLEASING to the senses. To me, it almost smells like Habit Rouge but more "buttery". Helmut Lang is smooth and noncloying. Too bad it's so hard to find because I do like this one a lot.

13 October, 2009

Jean Nate by Revlon

This is sort of a unisex scent in its own way. My mom loved it in the summer way back in the 60's. I could still smell it to this day. She had the after bath splash, spray cologne, talc, and soap. It was easy buying a gift for her. Even though she had many costly frags, she LOVED Jean Nate'. Actually, I think it still smells great, too!

01st October, 2009

Ricci Club by Nina Ricci

This was one of my favorites and still is. Unfortunately, it is very hard to find in NYC. Too bad because it is truly a nice, clean citrus with excellent staying power. Smells very manly and never overbearing.

01st October, 2009

Tabu by Dana

Gosh, so many people dislike this fragrance and I feel the total opposite. Whenever I smell this on a woman I find it to be sexy and mysterious. I guess it needs to be applied in moderation in order for it to do the "trick". I can see how too much would be overbearing. You need to be a dark haired woman in order to pull this fragrnce off well.

30th September, 2009

Clubman by Pinaud

There is no guy who will give the original Clubman a bad review. Every guy goes to the barber shop and has experienced the scent of Clubman filling the air. Actually, it also takes us back to our childhood days and perhaps going to the barber shop with dad. It's a clean, citrusy, almost powdery scent. It reminds me so much of Canoe by Dana. Truthfully, you can ask any guy in the USA what a traditional barber shop smells like and he'll tell you "Clubman". This is an inexpensive after shave that doesn't smell cheap and wears very nicely. By all means this is an "old school" scent that is in every way a true classic!

16 September, 2009

Clubman Special Reserve by Pinaud

I like it! This is a leathery fragrance that starts out strong but dries down to a real pleasant scent. Yes, I also like English Leather. It reminds me of a barber shop from yesteryear when men smelled like men (and women smelled like women). You can't mistake this scent for anything else but a mans scent.....it probably has testosterone in it (ha ha ha).

15 September, 2009

Stetson by Stetson

To me, Stetson smells very much like Zizanie, Royal Copenhagen, and Chaps. OK, it not a top designer fragrance but I don't care because I like it anyway. On me, it has excellent longevity and actually smells fresh and clean at the end of the work day, too. It's not a complicated "cloying" scent but one that's real manly and easy to wear. Many people compliment me whenever I wear Stetson and they tell me it smells the way a "clean man" should smell.

14 September, 2009

Life Essence by Fendi

Horrible! This was sold as a mens frag but it was too feminine. Even for a woman this frag is horrible. It has zero appeal to it. No loss here being it was discontinued. Fendi did the right thing!!

12 September, 2009