Reviews by Astaroth

Astaroth's avatar
    Astaroth

Thundra by Profumum

This is currently my favorite fragrance. I love it all the way from the opening blast of mushroom-like earthiness, all the way down to its indescribable other-worldly finish. Longevity is typical of the Profumum line --- legendary. I ordinarily turn almost apoplectic from spending $240 on 100ml of fragrance, but this juice is worth every penny for me. I just can't say enough about it.

Eau de Lierre by Diptyque

This is one of my favorite "green" fragrances, providing a realistic sense of rolling around in ivy leaves. It's very linear, and longevity is not its strong point, but this can be said about nearly all the Diptyque fragrances. Frequent application is necessary to fully enjoy it, but it's worth it if you like being surrounded in foliage.

Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma

I'm also in that category of people who love fig fragrances. This is a bright, sweet, ripe fig. But the fragrance also takes a lot of its character from its tart citrus top notes. It's very well-done, but longevity is an issue here. This is probably not too surprising, with so much of the fragrance resting on its top notes. In any case, this is currently my favorite fig fragrance, with Diptyque´s Philosykos a very close second.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I love Kouros. I don't get any sense of unpleasant odor from it at all, although the initial blast is a little "rough". In any case, the drydown is fantastic and worth the wait. I don't wear it all the time, since I have lots of other scents that I also wear. But it's definitely something that I like to wear in the evening at clubs and restaurants. This is also one of the few fragrances that I wear which has excellent longevity. Most fragrances are gone from my skin in a few hours, but Kouros lasts for an entire day.

Hugo by Hugo Boss

I like Hugo the most out of all the currently available Hugo Boss fragrances, despite the apparent lack of love for it displayed here on BN. It has a solid, "green" spiciness to it that I love, a great mix of bitterness and sweetness. Longevity is fairly weak, and it needs to be reapplied frequently on my dry skin.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

In my opinion, this is one of the only "common" fragrances that comes up to the level of quality of the more expensive "distinguished" fragrances. The fruity top notes are terrific, but especially the lemon and mandarin. (Disclaimer: I'm a huge fan of lemon.) When it dries down, the cardamom, pepper, musk, and tobacco really have a chance to come through, and in the right proportions.

This scent has great sillage and longevity. Unless you have dry skin and a raging fever, you won't have to keep applying it. It's also very easy to recognize this scent; it really cannot be confused with anything else. It also shouldn't turn into anything nasty as it approaches drydown. I've actually never run into anyone wearing this that it didn't smell good on them, and it's worn commonly enough that this statement is not purely anecdotal. You can't go wrong with this fragrance.

12 July, 2008

Aria di Mare by Il Profumo

I tested this against Profumum's Acqua di Sale today at the Scent Bar in Los Angeles, to see which fragrance was the more authentic marine scent. Aria di Mare came up to about 95% of the authenticity of Acqua di Sale, with the top notes seeming to detract more from its authenticity than the drydown (which was fantastic). Aria di Mare is less than half the cost of Acqua di Sale, has similar longevity, and provides almost everything that Acqua di Sale does. It is an excellent choice for a (relatively) inexpensive marine fragrance.

06 July, 2008

Acqua di Sale by Profumum

I tried this at the Scent Bar in Los Angeles today, pitting it against Il Profumo's Aria di Mare to see which was the more authentic marine fragrance. Lucky Scent describes Acqua di Sale as "the most realistic ocean scent we have ever encountered," and I am inclined to agree. There's no tanning lotion here; it just smells like you're catching an ocean breeze. Very authentic, and it lasts quite a while too. I applied it at 6pm and it is still detectable at 4am. And it hasn't morphed into some strange non-oceanic brew either; it's still just like sitting at the beach.

Having said that, it's pretty pricey, more than twice as much as the Aria di Mare for the same 100ml. And while the Aria di Mare starts out as a less authentic marine scent, it's drydown approaches a nice level of authenticity. So, if money is a concern and you can live with 95% of Acqua di Sale's authenticity, I recommend the Aria di Mare. But, if you really want total authenticity so that you can close your eyes and feel like you're really sitting right at the edge of the ocean, from application to drydown, Acqua di Sale is what you have been looking for.

06 July, 2008

212 Men Splash (2008) by Carolina Herrera

This is not like other offerings from Carolina Herrera, which tend to not appeal to me that much. This is actually surprisingly good, and it lasts quite a while (unusually so, for an aquatic). I actually like it more than both Bvlgari Aqua and Azzaro Chrome Legend, two of my favorite aquatics. Frankly, I almost passed it by completely and tried it only as an afterthought.

04 July, 2008

Les Nuits d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

This juice is incredible, intoxicating, and luxurious. I loved it as soon as I smelled it on me. In my opinion, it's better than the vast majority of non-niche "classy" fragrances out there (e.g. Tom Ford for Men, Boucheron Pour Homme, most Acqua di Parma --- except for maybe Colonia Assoluta, and even anything by Creed). This is usually what I wear when going to an upscale restaurant well-dressed with someone I want to impress.

01st June, 2008 (Last Edited: 12 July, 2008)