Reviews by surreality

surreality's avatar
    surreality

eo01 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

eo01 starts off reminding me of a Lutens Bois fragrance; not any particular Lutens but just the general woody profile of these Lutens scents. There is a note that strikes me as waxy, like candle wax, that lasts maybe 10-20 minutes. At this point as the top notes give way to the heart, the woodiness is complimented by amber, which sweetens the fragrance and a touch of powder (iris and tonka?) that softens it nicely. The drydown, which to me is the best feature of this perfume, retains the woody notes of the top and heart with something animalic underneath that adds a degree of complexity. These animalic notes get more pronounced as the woods disappear, leaving behind a skin scent not unlike Escentual's Molecule 02.

This is a nice fragrance that is more on the masculine side of unisex. It lasts about 6 hours and while the opening notes do project fairly well after the first 20 minutes eo01 stays pretty close to the skin through out the rest of its development. Because it does stay close to the skin it wears well in warmer weather, but I think it smells more like a fall scent.

06 August, 2008

Blue Amber by Montale

Montale's Blue Amber is beautiful and rich amber scent. The opening starts out very powdery with a hint of citrus, but soon turns into a rich creamy amber with maybe just the slightest hint of vetiver. The dry down gets a little more vetiverine giving the scent a deeper more earthy character but the amber remains in the forefront.

This is powerful stuff. A little dab on my inner elbow that I put on before bed to test Blue Amber's longevity lasted well over 24 hours and before I fell asleep I felt enveloped by the scent, not in an overpowering way but like a cloud of spicy, vanillic goodness surrounded my body. I gave this a full wearing on a cooler evening and it was sublime. I couldn't image wearing this in hot and humid weather; it could very easily become overpowering. However, I think that this will become an integral part of my scent wardrobe come fall and winter.

03 August, 2008

Dunhill Pursuit by Dunhill

A nice citrusy vetiver scent. In the top notes I smell mandarine and lemon in addition to the vetiver. There is a floral note (lavender?) in the heart that lends a dryness to Pursuit once the citrus top notes leave the scene that seems to work well with the bright vetiver. The dry down is a slightly musky wood.

Pursuit lasts about 4 hrs on my skin before it needs refreshing. Overall, a good but not great vetiver, but one that is worth trying if you are in the market for a summer fragrance..

02 August, 2008

Absolument Absinthe Le Parfum D'Interdits by Liquoristerie de Provence

The first 45 minutes of Aa is clean and soapy, like a high quality shampoo amd is my least favorite aspect of this perfume. The floral heart notes are quite nice, they blend well with the bitter resinous note (wormwood?) and the bergamot, and are where this fragrance shines. The dry down reminds me of a light woody vetiver tinged with musk. Aa has excellent longevity (I put it on at 7pm last night and I can still smell it very lightly as a skin scent at noon and I applied it sparingly). This would suit someone looking for a long lasting, clean fragrance for year round wear.

26 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 26 September, 2009)

Black Vetyver Café by Jo Malone

The coffee top note in Black Vetyver Cafe is very sweet gourmand note, more like a coffee candy than a fresh brewed espresso. It reminded me of a coffee icing a local bakery used to use on one of their cakes. This coffee note fades in about 30 minutes revealing an earthy vetiver with hints of wood in the background. From here the development is linear.

The longevity of Black Vetyver Cafe is reasonably good; on my skin it lasted about 5 hours before it needed refreshing. The coffee note really projects while it lasts but the vetiver and woody notes stay fairly close to the skin. If you are looking for a vetiver fragrance that is a little different then this might just be for you.

26 July, 2008

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

Hypnose Homme is a pleasantly sweet oriental scent that wears well in warm weather; although in hot and humid conditions it could be cloying.

The topnotes blend well, no one note overpowers the others. On my skin the lavender carries through to the drydown where it is joined by sweet amber and wood notes. Hypnose Homme is long lasting (7-8hours) and has good sillage. Overall this is a good fragrance that is better than many of the mass market designer fragrances.

21st July, 2008

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons

Vettiveru is a fresh, clean, slightly soapy and very well made cologne. The bergamot and neroli are notes that really play well with the vetiver. Wood becomes noticeable in the drydown. This lasts about 4 hours on my skin (and I applied this conservatively) which is better than many scents at this price point. This is a very wearable fragance that is great value for money. I'd have no reservations recommending this to anyone looking for a light summer scent that is versatile enough to wear to work and play.

19 July, 2008

Miel de Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

As one would expect from a scent built around honey, Miel de Bois is sweet but Lutens has managed to stay away from making Miel de Bois too sweet. The first notes to hit my nose were woody and resinous, notes that were soon joined by honey and beewax. These two notes take center stage pushing the wood notes into the background. The dry down still retains a dominant honeyed note that is balanced by a slightly dirty animalic note and something powdery (pallida iris?). Miel de Bois has great longevity (7+ hrs) and projects well.

Miel de Bois is definitely not a warm weather scent, I think it is more suited to cold, long dark winter nights in front of a roaring fire. This is an interesting fragrance that certainly gives honey a dominant role but I find this hard to wear.

18 July, 2008

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

The opening fruity notes of Silver Mountain Water quickly morph into a crisp clean cool scent that has hints of something green in the background. The dry down reminds me of other Creed's that I have tried; SMW is maybe slightly fruitier but not so different from other perfumes from the Creed collection. This has good longevity and projects fairly well. Overall, SMW is a light fragrance that I find enjoyable, perhaps best suited for summer day wear.

18 July, 2008

Vetiver Ambrato by Bois 1920

A sweet (but not too sweet), slightly earthy perfume that really puts vetiver in a starring role for the first 30 minutes or so. Vetiver Ambrato is nicely balanced fragrance that becomes more ambery in the dry down with notes of vanilla and musk becoming noticeable. This is an understated, and as others have mentioned, classy fragrance that lasts about 4 hours with a moderate sillage. This would be suitable for business or casual wear. I like this but there are other vetivers that I like much more, so I don't think this will find its way into my collection any time soon.

17 July, 2008

Yuzu Rouge by 06130 Zéro Six Cent-Trente

Yuzu Rouge has a very light, crisp citrus opening that quickly develops just a hint of rose that balances the sharpness of the citrus. The dry down takes the rose theme a little further adding just a little sweet spice to the mix. The longevity of this is typical of citrus scents on my skin, and it seems to have very little sillage. I think this would be much better as an EDP, as both the longevity and sillage would be greatly improved. Yuzu Rouge is definitely a warm weather fragrance best worn in daylight hours, and can be easily worn by both men and women. Overall a very nice fragrance but not one that I feel the need to own.

16 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 24 June, 2009)

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Ambre Sultan is a decent fragrance. Amber features dominantly from beginning to end, as one would expect, but it sweetness is cut by the use of dry herbs and a touch of cedar that provide a nice balance. This is a very powerful scent; one spray is often enough (and a reason I'm thinking of decanting some into a small roll-on vial).

14 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 February, 2010)

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

It looks like I'm the lone dissenter when it comes to Dirty English. I've sampled it twice now, and have been unimpressed both times. Something about this just seems muddy; not as in it smells like mud but in that it is ill defined and "brown". It is as if the nose behind it wanted to make a complex and interesting fragrance but ended up with something way too busy to be interesting. For me Dirty English's best aspect is the drydown; a slightly sweet, woody musk slowly emerges from the mud after a couple of hours. I sampled one single spray on the wrist and the scent stayed with me for about 6 hours with a good sillage.

Agrumi Amaria di Sicilia by Bois 1920

While Agrumi Amaria di Sicilia is a very nice, summery grapefruit scent that really does smell refreshing, it quickly fades into nothingness; on my skin I can hardly smell it after 15min. This is way too short lived for the price and although I do like it I cannot give it a thumbs up.

Chypre Rouge by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Chypre Rouge is definitely not one of my favorites by Serge Lutens. The opening is very sweet, almost candied (something reminds me of creme brulee just after the sugar on top has been caramelized with a blowtorch) with notes of pine just peeping through. The sweetness does mellow a little after the first few minutes but I find that the heart and base notes tend toward the feminine; it reminds me of something my mum wore many years ago. I think I'd prefer to smell this on my wife rather than wear it myself. . . but only very ocassionally.

CR has great longevity, just like most SL creations and projects well. This is a cool weather fragrance (part of why I decided to test this today, its only 61F outside) that is more suited to evening wear.

Molecule 02 by Escentric Molecules

This is a hard scent to review. Molecule 02 is so subtle that it almost disappears into the background, but doesn't. This smells like clean, sun-kissed skin mixed with ocean breeze, that stays very close to the skin.

11th July, 2008

Chocolat Amère by Il Profumo

Chocolat Amere is a deep, dark, semi sweet chocolate that really grabs one's attention. Resinous woods add complexity and stop this from being too foody. This has a good longevity, 5-6 hrs, and a decent sillage. A very nicely done fragrance, but one that I couldn't see myself reaching for very often. This is definitely for after-dark use.

11th July, 2008 (Last Edited: 12 July, 2008)

Boss Pure by Hugo Boss

Boss Pure has a fresh, clean, lightly citrus-y, aquatic, opening, balanced by a floral heart. Drys down to a woody, slightly vanillic note. Good longevity for an EdT (3-4 hrs) with a decent sillage. Definitely aimed at the younger crowd who want something different... but not too different. This is a nice enough fragrance, but there is nothing really special about it. The florals in this put it in the realm of a unisex fragrance.

10th July, 2008

Duro by Nasomatto

Duro is an unabashedly, powerfully, masculine scent. There is no sweetness to this at all; it is dry in a good way, like a fine extra brut champagne. The leather in Duro is nicely complimented by wood and herbs (something about this vaguely reminds me of the herbs in SL Ambre Sultan; is there oregano in here somewhere?) and creates a complex scent that one immediately identifies as leather, but a leather unlike any other.

Duro means business; this is not a casual scent like Nasomatto's Absinth. This would be a great fragrance to wear to an important meeting or interview, something about it projects an attitude of self-assuredness, class, and confidence.

This extrait has excellent longevity (8-9 hr) and a good sillage. I think this would be easy to overapply, and it would probably appeal to those who are prone to do so. Given its longevity and sillage ~$150 for 30mL is a fair price; a little goes a long way.

09 July, 2008

Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Vetiver Oriental is bright, sweet and earthy but still manages to have a great depth and warmth about it. The first note that jumps off the skin is that of a lush, dark chocolate. This is followed by a heart of earthy vetiver, sweetened with just a touch of amber which is balanced by a dry woody note that lasts into the dry down where it is joined by a touch of musk. This is another fun scent that just feels good to wear. Light enough for wear in warm weather, but warm enough for cooler days as well. On me this has great longevity (6-7 hrs) and stays fairly close to the skin. This is probably my favorite of the Serge Lutens Export line; its a pity its a limited edition and will one day soon become available only in Paris.

09 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 July, 2008)

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

Euphoria Men opens with a citrusy note which quickly moves into an herbaceous and slightly floral heart. This drys down to a woody basenotes with a hint of suede. This lasts maybe 5-6 hrs and has a decent sillage. This is a pleasant, unobtrusive fragrance that seems to wear better in cooler weather.

07 July, 2008

Bois et Musc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Bois et Musc is a well crafted fragrance that smells exactly like the name claims; Wood and Musk. The cedar notes last about 30 minutes and there is something in the opening that reminds me of warm beeswax. All the notes blend very well with the musk, creating a fragrance that is warm and inviting. The musk in the drydown is a somewhat cleaner musk than MKK's drydown, but it still retains enough dirtiness to it to make it interesting.

As for sillage, Bois et Musc it tends to stick close to the skin. The cedar notes project more than the musk does (which is to be expected). The scent doesn't last as long as other SL creations (namely Ambre Sultan, MKK) but is still noticeable ~6 hours after I applied it.

This would probably be a good choice of scent for someone who finds MKK too loud but who still wants a very good musk perfume.

07 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 July, 2008)

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Nice bright citrus scent underpinned by a green woody note. The EdP has good longevity for a citrus scent (4 hrs). Good for wearing on a hot summer day.

07 July, 2008

CK In 2U Him by Calvin Klein

This is an OK scent. Very short lived (2 hrs), with an opening of fizzy lime that quickly fades revealing a very slightly musky pine/cedar that stays close to the skin. This is good for hot summer days when you want a scent that wont become too overpowering or cloying, but be prepared to re-apply a couple of times throughout the day. I definitely wouldn't pay full price for a bottle of this, but I wouldn't toss out a freebie either.

05 July, 2008

Unforgivable by Sean John

Nothing special here. Its fresh citrus and floral opening is nice enough but it lasts all of 45 minutes on my skin before becoming nearly imperceptable.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Harissa by Comme des Garçons

Harissa opens with a fairly dominant clove note, which soon becomes an earthy spicy citrus which lasts maybe 40 mins before drying down into a vegetal musk (the angelica root and cardamom perhaps?). Being an EDT it doesn't have great staying power (3-4 hours) but it is very pleasant while it lasts and wears well in warmer weather. This could very well become my go to summer scent.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

This is awful stuff. The initial blast is like a bad 80's generic aftershave mixed with burnt motor oil. It has got good sillage and is long lasting but I find this to be a totally unwearable scent.

Absinth by Nasomatto

This is a near perfect fragrance. This is a woody, spicy and earthy scent with just a hint of sweetness that adds to the complexity of Absinthe. The drydown on my skin gets a little leathery, and a little musky (Montale's Musk to Musk not MKK)Like Duro, this is definitely a masculine scent but where Duro is all business (the noughtie's equivalent to a 80's power scent) Absinthe is fun. This could be worn just about anywhere. Wearing this just makes me feel good. My only complaint with this is its longevity; this just doesn't have staying power, 2 to 3 hours max, which seems unusally short seeing that it is an extrait. This however will not stop me from adding a flacon (or two) of Absinthe to my collection.

25 June, 2008 (Last Edited: 29 June, 2008)

Himalaya by Creed

Hmm... I've worn Himalaya a couple of times now and I'm still not sure if I like it enough to buy a bottle. I certainly don't hate it though. The initial blast of citrus is refreshing and cool but somehow it just seems slightly unbalanced. There is a note that on my skin gives the warm lightly musky drydown a certain crispness. This is definitely a warm weather fragrance to be worn during the day.

14 June, 2008

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

The rosemary and mint top and middle notes, coupled with its longevity on my skin, really makes this one stand out from the CK crowd. If your looking for something highly original, quirky or elegant then this fragrance is NOT for you. However, if you want something unobtrusive but still a little different from most of the mainstream fragrances out there this may just be worth a try.

12 June, 2008