Reviews by surreality

surreality's avatar
    surreality

Philosykos by Diptyque

If I could only use one word to describe this perfume it would be: Nostalgic. One spray of Philosykos transported me back to my childhood; in particular to the days when I would stuff my face with the figs that grew on the tree in my backyard. This is the essence of fig tree; the fruit, the leaves and the wood captured in a bottle. This is not a perfume I could wear very often but when I do wear it, it makes me happy.

12 June, 2008

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Jubilation XXV was a fragrance that I really wanted to try but that didn't impress me when I first tested it. When my sample arrived late one afternoon a couple of weeks ago, I immediately dabbed on some of the juice. I could only stand to have it on for 10 minutes, as all I could smell was a strong musty odor that overpowered everything, which was nothing at all like the sweet, heady scent eminating from the vial.

Not wanting to give up on this I decided to give it another wearing yesterday, this time with much better results. The opening was much cleaner, a bright incense type note that soon developed into a spicy, rich (in both senses of the word), very appealing exotic heartnote. The drydown was equally appealling; notes of leather and musk combined with what I could best describe as a "marine-y" undernote (ambergris?). 9 hours after first application I could still catch whiffs every now and then in the breeze.

There is something to be said with giving a perfume a second chance.

07 June, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 June, 2008)

Cuir Venenum 03 by Parfumerie Generale

Not a bad fragrance, but not great either. Sweet and slighty floral opening which gives way to a subtle, warm leather note that lasts for a good two or three before turning into a very light and slightly smoky musk that stays close to the skin. I think this perfume best suits cooler weather.

05 June, 2008

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I have to say that after reading some of the reviews, I was intrigued but also a little intimidated by MKK. But after wearing this regularly for the last 2 months MKK is without doubt my favorite fragrance.

I have to agree with floatingpoint, those who think this smells like groin, or homeless person drenched in rosewater are letting their imaginations run wild (but purple prose like that makes for interesting reading). Yes its dirty, yes its animalic, after all this is a musk perfume that contains castoreum and civet, but it is so much more. What starts off as a smoky and animalic soon (20-30 mins) settles into a rich, deep musk lifted by rose and beeswax notes. The extreme dry down (7-8 hours after application) introduces notes of leather and salt into the mix.

One would think that a perfume like this wouldn't play well with others, but it layers surprisingly well, especially when worn with Duro. It also works well with lighter fragrances like Acqua de Biella that use a musk base note; a dab of MKK adds complexity and depth without masking the lighter fragrance altogether.

05 June, 2008 (Last Edited: 06 July, 2008)

Eternal Return by CB I Hate Perfume

I have to be honest. As soon as I saw the name of this fragrance I knew I had to try it. Not because of it's description, not because of the nose behind the fragrance, but because of my interest in the philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche. The Eternal Return is an important aspect of Nietzsche's thought and I wondered whether CB I Hate Perfume's Eternal Return would be an important step in the evolution of Christopher Brosius' company. Sadly I have to say no. It is not that Eternal Return is a bad fragrance; its not. It's a pleasant, light woody scent with aquatic overtones all of which have been recreated very well. Its just that this does not make a good perfume. There is no development in this fragrance, the character remains the same throughout its duration (7-8 hours) and as such it gets boring very quickly. If this were a room fragrance I'd give it a tentative thumbs up, but given that this was intended as a perfume the best I can give it is a neutral rating.

03 June, 2008 (Last Edited: 05 July, 2008)