Reviews by jalexhrovat

jalexhrovat's avatar
    jalexhrovat

Burberry Summer for Men by Burberry

This is an interesting fragrance in that it lasts for less than a hour on my skin. The initial citrus(yuzu) is amazing and it quickly transitions to a juniper/cypress and straight into the basenotes of cedarwood and musk......There really isn't a whole lot of time to enjoy this fragrance, and in all honesty it's probably a waste of money because you'd have to reapply the stuff every hour or so. I like it because its refreshing, but I disklike the horribly short longevity.....Burberry could have made a much more wonderful fragrance if they somehow just enhanced the longevity.

11th April, 2011

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Surprisingly, this is a very good fragrance from a designer that I frankly dislike. It reminds me very much of a mix of Calvin Klein Obsession and Gucci PH. Its great woody, manly fragrance thats good for the office or casual wear....or just as a regular personal signature fragrance if you like to have one like I do. It really doesn't change all that much from first application to dry down, but stays strong and prominent during its longevity; with is average to above average on my skin (about 4-5 hours). Warning, the stuff will stain a white shirt though; so be cautious as to wear you put it on.

Two thumbs way up.

09 April, 2011

Bulgari Man by Bulgari

I've always been a big fan of the Bulgari fragrances. This one is no less good as any other. It inspires thoughts of previous pour homme fragrances from the designer. It is very elegant and classy; a great fragrance for work or a casual date. Longevity on my skin however is less than 2 hours, but sillage is moderate.

Two thumbs up regardless.

09 April, 2011

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

Not bad, not great either. Kinda has a "blah" affect.

19 November, 2009

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Great fragrance. Initial reaction was that this smells very much like Azzaro PH; which is one of my favorite fragrances. Very intense start, and as other have said, it dies out within a few hours leaving what remains of the fragrance very close to the skin. This is a very masculine fragrance, but doesn't smell like an "old man's" fragrance at all to me. Its refined and contemporary with the style of some classic fragrances.

08 November, 2009

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

So I can see it both ways. My first reaction when I put this on, was "wtf?" I got a 10ml decant of this stuff, and immediately I regretted spending the money on it. But I thought, well I at least have to give it a chance. So as it dried down I could barely pick out what smelled like leather. I took a step back (metaphorically) and thought about it. Yes, there is a "leather" note in the fragrance, but what I realized was that all the other ingredients together created an aura of leather. It isn't so much that this smells like a leather jacket, or pure leather...its the notes that mingle together to create a whole fragrance that emulates leather. Unfortunately, you have to try to imagine it in order to get this sense, because otherwise, it just smells like a perfumey mess with leather thrown in.
    But I will continue to try to give it a try...I just think that those around me won't be as open minded.

04 November, 2009

Coriolan by Guerlain

For me, this is a great office fragrance. It starts off with the notes of lemon, sage and bergamot; but quickly transitions to the middle notes. It is in the middle that I can only make out the juniper and the rest of the notes just meld together. It lingers in the middle for about an hour while the base starts to come out. It is here that the floral and almost feminine attributes bloom. Some would say that this could make it an unisex fragrance, and I agree to a degree. This is still a male fragrance in my opinion, and one that find simply fascinating. Even though this fragrance "lives on" in L'Âme d'Un Héros (aka "soul of a hero"), it still holds its individuality and I feel that Guerlain should not have taken it off the market because it wasn't getting mainstream appeal. At least Coriolan is a fraction of the price, and pretty much the same fragrance with some minor differences.

26 August, 2009

Exceptional Because You Are for Men by Exceptional

Blah is all I got for this one. I get samples of it with my FragranceNet order, and wish they would stop sending me samples of it because it is yet another generic smelling fragrance to me. Nothing really stands out. Doesn't smell bad, but again, just not worth buying.

Hugo Element by Hugo Boss

Yet another generic mess of a fragrance. I couldn't distinguish any notes from each other at all. This stuff is crap. But I guess if you're young and don't know any better, then this is the stuff for you.

Hugo XY by Hugo Boss

Not bad, but again this is too generic. I want something that will make me stand out, not just be another person on the sea of indistinguishable fragrances. The opening is the only part that is worth while in this one...then it just dries down to a run of the mill patchouli base. Not impressed at all.

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

Not bad. CK has put out a lot of crappy fragrances in the past few years, but this one I actually like. I can pick out the rosemary and mint from the start which instantly draws me in. The cypress in the base also comes out withing 15 minutes of application, and I'm a sucker for cypress. The dry down is decent and longevity as well. Sillage is average.

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

A very light, clean and refreshing rendition of the original. The tea note is most distinguishable to me with this one. The fragrance overall is indeed discreet. I like this in a fragrance because it doesn't scream "I'm walking in the room" when I wear it. Again, its an intimate fragrance that stays close to the skin and is for the more close encounter. I think this version, the original and the extreme are all very excellent fragrances that anyone who is considering a good, non-offensive fragrance for work use, or just to freshen up a little bit. IMO, Bulgari scents in general are very well put together with the exception of Blu, which rubs me the wrong way for whatever reason.

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

Different than the original. This usually isn't supposed to be the case with "extreme" versions of fragrances. With this rendition, the pepper really stands out to me. Its a great warm weather fragrance because it has a little better sillage in the heat than the original. It still retains the gentleman factor for me by not being over powering and is an intimate fragrance that's draws a person in for a better smell. Longevity is better than the original as well.

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

Blu is not one of Bulgaris' best. I think they were trying to create a good oriental fragrance but ended up failing in that regard. I have some friends that like it, but to me it just doesn't smell all that great. Its not bad, but I wouldn't spend my money on it

Envy for Men by Gucci

I tried this at a friend's house not too long ago and it lives up to the hype. Perhaps one of the reason's why oriental fragrances are so popular today was the inclusion of ginger in this fragrance. Ginger seems to be one of the ingredients that "makes" an oriental fragrance, and ginger is the dominant note throughout the life of this one. I get hints of cardamom and anise in the middle, but the ginger is right there. The base is nice as well with patchouli, amber, musk and incense notes that I can distinguish. Overall, this is a great fragrance that lives up to the hype. But it is very synthetic...which is not always a bad thing.

I recommend wearing it out at night or for you're own personal pleasure. Day wear isn't completely out of the picture, but the fragrance may seem a bit heavy on a hot day.

03 July, 2009

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Pretty much just as what others have described. A hint of rubber, tea, vanilla and musk. No more, no less, not bad.

02 July, 2009

White Musk for Men by Body Shop

Pretty much just as it is described. Its a light musky fragrance. Nothing fancy, but it isn't bad. Wouldn't spend the money on it though....

Geir by Geir Ness

I tried this in "Norway" at Epcot in Disney World. I found it to be surprisingly good and based on other's opinions, that seems to be the consensus. I really cannot pick out any specific notes, but the overall affect is very good.

Laila by Geir Ness

I definitely like this white floral fragrance. My wife fell in love with it when she smelled it and she has a sensitivity to overpowering fragrances. The drydown is great and would recommend this one for anyone looking for a good white floral fragrance.

L'Ame d'un Héros by Guerlain

I don't know why this is listed as a women's fragrance, because when I went to the Guerlain boutique at Epcot, they said this was a male fragrance. Other websites say its a male fragrance, and its predecessor Coriolan, is a male fragrance as well.

Honestly, when I tried this, I was blown away. The opening was amazingly crisp, then transitioned into the floral notes, with juniper, cypress and basil. Absinthe gave these notes a bit of an edge. The base notes of patchoulli and basalm came out and complemented the middle notes very well.

I found the fragrance somewhat hypnotic and couldn't stop smelling my wrist. I've never tried Coriolan, but if it was even half as good as "Soul of a Hero," then I would have to give a try as well.

30th June, 2009

Habit Rouge Sport by Guerlain

I was at Epcot yesterday in the France section of the World Showcase and low and behold they have a Guerlain boutique there! They had this fragrance, and I gave it a try and I loved it. It takes the essence of the original, like most sport fragrances do, and then makes it a little more "youthful." It is a very good sport fragrance, unlike the citrus messes that most "sport" fragrances end up smelling like. I highly recommend it.

Blu Mediterraneo Mirto di Panarea by Acqua di Parma

I truly liked this one as well. The opening isn't unique, but the transition to the floral side of the fragrance makes it stand out. I too got hints of jasmine and rose. The juniper does indeed add some bite to it and I'm a sucker for juniper. Couldn't really pick out the major components in the base, but if I could make and educated guess, it would probably be a cedar base, because it usually goes well with a citrus/floral opening. Great fragrance from the Blu Mediterraneo line that is put down too often.

Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy

Gave this one and the regular version a try yesterday. It comes off smelling like a gourmand, and the intense version even more so. The sales rep said that the regular and intense versions were made to complement each other, and you can put them both on at the same time to create a third fragrance. Thought it was a good concept, and I certainly wouldn't put the fragrance down just because it comes off smelling a bit synthetic. The intense version is much better than the regular in my opinion.

Givenchy Play by Givenchy

Gave this one and the Intense version a try yesterday. It comes off smelling like a gourmand, and the intense version even more so. The sales rep said that the regular and intense versions were made to complement each other, and you can put them both on at the same time to create a third fragrance. Thought it was a good concept, and I certainly wouldn't put the fragrance down just because it comes off smelling a bit synthetic.

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

I thought this was well put together when I tried it. It had a citrusy opening with a nice spicy dry down and a musky finish.

Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma

Very, very citrusy. Couldn't imagine wearing it at any other time than during the warmer months. My wife liked it very much, so I might consider getting it...but it reminded me much of Happy except with a more natural citrus scent.

Blu Mediterraneo Capri Orange / Arancia Di Capri by Acqua di Parma

Love the orange. If you want to smell like one, this one is for you. The notes of the drydown keep you from smelling completely like orange through the life of the fragrance, but it remains to the end.

Blu Mediterraneo Tuscan Cypress / Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma

This is a beautiful fragrance. I've been sampling it all week, and it is probably one of the refreshing fragrances I've ever tried. I've been finding myself smelling my wrists over and over again because of just how "therapeutic" this fragrance is. The cypress and eucalyptus at the beginning really sets the tone. The transition happens fairly quickly though to the other notes including pine, lavender, rosemary, mug weed and oakmoss in the middle and base notes. The base reminds me very much of Paco Rabanne with the musky oakmoss finish.

Great fragrance, and I think it's probably going to be one of the new staples of my collection.

28 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th July, 2009)

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma

This one has indeed been knocked around a bit on basenotes. IMO, this rendition of Colonia is good, but not great. It adds sort of a more clean finish to Colonia by adding ingredients such as vetiver. It also is a bit warmer in the drydown. Some spicy notes have been added, perhaps some cardamom and pepper. It does last a bit longer than Colonia, but it is still an EdC.

It is a great fragrance, and if you really are interested in Acqua di Parma's Colonias, you should try all three because they are all excellent fragrances.

28 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th July, 2009)

Xeryus by Givenchy

Finally got around to trying this one. I was afraid that it would come off smelling like Kouros, but it isn't anything like it. The fragrance definitely projects itself on my skin and the cypress jumps out giving it a fresh herbal scent through most of it's life. Love it.