Reviews by dgenerator

dgenerator's avatar
    dgenerator
    Bulgaria Bulgaria

New West for Him by Aramis

My real opinion on this perfume is actually neutral, however I am giving it thumbs down in order to balance the (IMO) unrealistically high positive reviews.

After reading so much positive reviews, I decided to blind purchase New West. I haven't done blind purchases for years after many disasters in the past, however this time there was no way for me to test New West anywhere in Bulgaria or on any European airport or perfume chain store.

The very first impression is that of a messy aroma full of redundant notes, thus reminiscent of many cheap deodorants from the past. After few minutes I can actually find some similarities between it and the cheap Imperial Leather green deodorant and the black Denim deodorant from my youth.

In half an hour it settles down for an old-fashioned masculine fresh fragrance. It's not bad, it's just extremely outdated and unsophisticated. It smells like a barber shop from the communist era as far as I remember it.

In few hours it gets smoky which is kind of good but also there's some synthetically cheap background.

I think I will wear it from time to time and I can imagine it being liked on my skin by other people, however I thinks it's a joke compared to great fragrances such as Encre Noire, Terre d'Hermes, GIT, Sander for Men, Cool Water, Cool Water Deep, Gucci pour Homme II, Cartier Declaration, Clinique Happy, etc. Honestly, I am shocked there was such a fuss when it was discontinued.

17 August, 2012

Ungaro III by Ungaro

I would say that my blind purchases are 70% successful. From the other 30%, there are 5% which I regret so much that even if I have given only a Euro for them, I will still feel like I've been robbed. That's the case with Ungaro III. That fragrance along with Cerruti 1881 compete for the first prize of "worst blind purchase". And it's interesting (or maybe logical) that I find striking similarity between both of them - complex fragrances with many notes (or maybe harsh ones) which all blend in a heavy mess. It smells like my father's colognes from the communist era - cheap and mass. It certainly suits old men and grannies. I am amazed only three people have given it a thumbs down...

Just for information - I am 30 and my favorite fragrances are Encre Noir, Terre d'Hermes, Green Irish Tweed, Declaration. To be honest, Ungaro III really makes me think I should finally eradicate that evel blind purchase practice of myself.

13 July, 2009

Encre Noire by Lalique

I thought Terre d'Hermes was my favorite perfume until I read here on Basenotes someone mentioned Encre Noire was a better version so with a big skepticism I decided to test it. Wow! They have in common the Vetiver note only and I am not sure if I can relate them in such a direct way but anyway Encre is more elegant and mature and is definitely my Number One from now on :) I still love Terre d'Hermes though. Everything else has been said, so I will save your time.

15 December, 2008

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

As a man I don't like women fragrances (maybe it's supposed we like them when women wear it which is still not the case...) however so far there is only one fragrance which can instantly turn me on and make me want jumping on the woman wearing this and that's Hypnotic Poison. Respect to this scent!

01st November, 2008

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

I have sprayed it today on my wrists and my neck from a tester. The most prominent note I can smell is sour cherry, which someone has already stated here! And it is not listed in ingredients, very strange. The other notes I can identify are pepper, tobacco and leather. I can definitely see why this fragrance may be appealing to someone, it has certain quality and rare individuality which is good but I am still not sure if this is my type of scent, I am voting as neutral for now. To me London is somewhere between Sander for Men (because of the pepper note) and Gucci pour Homme II (because of the virtual or real cherry note), however I would still prefer those two instead.

29 September, 2008

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Undoubtedly the best fragrance I have ever smelled. When I first applied it on a test paper the top notes were probably a bit sharper and I didn't like it, however I kept the test paper in my pocket for later review and in just 15 minutes walking by the street I smelled the paper again and was truly amazed by the beauty of this scent. Most of the people are rather neutral regarding the scent, but the more important is that I feel so comfortable and happy wearing this stuff! I feel like I am wearing the best scent ever created for me. And the good news is that this is so different than anything else, also Hermes is not imported here in Bulgaria, so I can really feel unique with it.

21st August, 2008

1881 by Cerruti

This is my second blind order. The first one was Gucci pour Homme II and 1881 is my second. While I am really delighted with the Gucci, I am totally disappointed with 1881. Smells like my grandfather's something, old barbershop, tasteless, old, blatant, old, lack of refinement, old, lack of moderation, lack of everything and screamingly OLD, OLD, OLD! Now there's no doubt it's been made in 1881, and I thought it was just a name, what a stupid I was! Seems like a random mix of many incompatible contents, like a child trying to make a perfume... My first impression is: cheap fly killer from the far past. Man, nowadays even fly killers smell ways better! What a luck I've ordered the 25ml only!

11th July, 2008