Reviews by ToughCool

Polo Blue Gold Blend by Ralph Lauren

So this was a present from my kids on Christmas. I told them "what do you want Dad to smell like everyday, if you could pick just 1." So Polo Blue Gold it was. I'm telling you what, this has been a very special surprise to me. I already enjoyed Blue EDP so I wasn't sure how this would differ but here is what I've loved. 1) Compared to the other EDP, this lasts all day on me. I mean really strong 2) I find the initial blast still has the Blue DNA but it is a little sharper/sweeter/fresher and just lightens my mood from the start and 3) the most enjoyable thing is the drydown, which is very "delayed" on me, like wearing another scent 5 hours later. The first 2 times I wore it I kept thinking..."who is wearing that nice scent around me." It had the incense type feel of AdG Profumo with a twist. Maybe it was the Amber and Patchouli playing off the incense but it was great. I don't do many reviews but this was a winner on me and glad my kids went with this. I hope Polo keeps it around because I think it's their best release in a long time.
06th January, 2020

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

So for 2 years now I've continually tried this to see if I will ever like this scent. The answer finally came out to be a NO!But I have a neutral rating because the scent isn't bad, per se, where I find it offensive or cheap. I just find it too feminine on me. The issue I have is the iris..aka the lipstick note. It is one thing to have that in the opening and then dry down into something else but DH doesn't. The iris is ever present and that is sad because I like what I smell under the iris if it would ever go away. I liken it to the caption of the earth's crust in those old school science textbooks. There is the top layers and all of these exciting layers underneath with different stones, etc..except the top layer is always covering it. Its like a light blanket over something and you keep dipping and diving to see whats underneath and can barely get a look. Every time I smell the leather or something else I found pleasant it was quickly snuffed by that iris. Just a shame.
22nd October, 2012

Allure Homme Edition Blanche Eau de Toilette by Chanel

Overwhelming. After wearing Bleu, the new offering from Chanel, I decided to revisit this. The initial lemon burst was nice but then I expected a development of some sort. All I got was this over the top lemon and cream and slight pepper note that was headache inducing. And the combo just kept getting stronger instead of settling into something more pleasant. The only reason this is a Neutral rating is because it doesn't necessarily smell horrible but it is too much of one thing and it never ends.
25th August, 2010

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

I'll be the first here. Tried this and immediately purchased it. As a teen or preteen I never really noticed the strength of the initial blast of Polo. Just recently I tried it again and it was overwhelming. I'm not sure if it is the chamomile in the original or what but I didn't like it as much. What Modern Reserve does is mutes that intitial blast to almost nothing and then lets the middle notes and the base of the original come out. this maybe has a little more "green" to it in the middle and drydown. I personally, upon todays testing, find this better than the original. It keeps everything I loved about Polo as a youth, especially the drydown and takes away some of the things that may have kept others away. It is Modern and it is Reserve(d) alright. I love this scent and it will be a new classic for me.
01st October, 2008

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Beautiful is the word that describes this. From the first spray to the heavenly drydown. Great stuff. I'll just echo what others have said in that it doesn't last long. It is similar to SWM to me but SMW has more longevity. This is lighter and overall a better scent in my book though. I get a little bit of melon with this in the middle.
17th September, 2008

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

I'm not sure of the Rochas comparison. Rochas is strawberry shortcake sweet and this is roasted, burnt coffee and honey. I actually enjoy this and I usually don't like these.
16th September, 2008

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I really enjoy this scent. But the reason I do is because I wore Cool Water for 5-6 years in the early 90s and have never had more compliments. I even own a bottle now. There is a different note in GIT that makes the drydown a little less sweet for me but overall I can't say that it changes much at all compared to CW. In fact CW lasts about 2 hours longer than GIT on me and I have tried drydown tests with both. So I will give it a thumbs up because it is a great sscent but I would spend my money for longevity and overall on CW and go get something else...or 2-3 something elses..with the change.
08th September, 2008

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

Unfortunately after sampling this for part of a day I'm going to have to agree with Merbert. There is something very "dirty comb" about this. Like bad hair gel mixed with scalp and dead hair and plastic. Just not good at all.
02nd September, 2008

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

I remember this as being "fresher." A recent sniff back in time of this had me thinking the pineapple and seaweed together was some sort of bad maple syrup concoction. It finally leveled out and some of the freshness I enjoyed was there but I still kept getting that maple syrup smell in between that turned me off.
02nd September, 2008

Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

I just received this and am wearing it today. I agree with Dimitri. You feel like you are the most sophisticated man out there when wearing this. It started off with definite citrus for me. Lemony in a way. It then settled down into a woodsy, leathery, yet subtle scent that screams class. I love it. Everyone should try this.
07th August, 2008

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I have to add my 2 cents just to be part of the crowd. I wore this in the 80s as a teen and that was just because people wore it then. I really don't get woodsy. I don't get anything but the same scent....and I tried it for kicks the other day, 20 years later...powdery, old, urine type smell. I'm not here to be mean. I'm not copying and pasting some reviews but it is there. It is a linear, powdery mess that reminds me of a school dance. I can't believe out of all 80s scents out there to love, many people chose this stuff. When I change my daughters diaper and then apply talc, this is what I get.
06th August, 2008

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

I'm with SirSlarty here. I've tried it twice and both times it has been terrible. I'm not sure what soap inspired him..Borax..but it went on weakly, was boring, was like dirty soap water and really was bad on my skin. Even when I asked the SA about it she shook her head no. So I can't think why this would be so popular.
04th August, 2008

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Probably the one scent that I can honestly say is a signature scent for Fall and Winter for me. When this first came out in 2006 I was about to get married and we were looking for scents that we would wear on our wedding for the first time and then the Honeymoon in Italy. We chose this for me. The wedding was Octover 7th. I can't tell you how great this smelled while wearing my tux and then for 2 weeks in the Amalfi Coast, Tuscany and Venice. Nights in Tuscany that got 40 degrees while you smelled the vines burning in the distance while wearing this.........every time I put it on that is what I get. Great stuff and a head turner.
16th July, 2008

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

I love this stuff. It exudes class to me. The smell is sweet but not in an overpowering way. It is in a smooth and sexy way. Class and style and excellence.
14th July, 2008

Hugo by Hugo Boss

I can't with a clear conscious sit here and act like I know alot about colognes or that I am a sheep and I am to follow the "hate Hugo" herd. I've never worn this but I have gone to 10 stores over the past month with Hugo in it. I keep spraying it on thinking I'll magically smell this synthetic disaster or smell some middle notes that don't jive. But all in all I just think it sprays on good and smells REALLY good on my skin. It is pleasant and it smells good. What can I say. I don't see the problem except that every teenager wore it. Doesn't mean it is bad. It is fresh and nice.
10th July, 2008 (last edited: 17th July, 2008)

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

Sillage and longivity was the death of this scent for me. I love it when it is first on and the drydown was great. But I lost it over minutes it seemed and I never could get my wife or anyone else to detect it on me. That may be the opposite of many. It is a shame too because the lightness and fresh feeling I got from it was great.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I'm going to need a 3rd time for this one but so far it came off as STRONG, orange, peppery and overwhelming. Way too much and headache inducing. The second time I tried it it was a little better. Considering I like others that are allegedly similar I just don't get it. I definitely think this one could be one that grows on me later but right now, this is it.

Very Sexy for Him 2 by Victoria's Secret

I'm reviewing this on pure scent. It starts off a little spicy but drys down nicely. I really love it except for you better carry a bottle with you all day to refresh because it lasts 10 minutes. That is my one beef. But for the price right now it is something to grab.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Last week I smelled this. This week I purchased it. Hands down my favorite aquatic scent. The thing I loved was the drydown. I was expecting a light scent that disappears like others but it was a woodsy, beachlike scent. Spicy. The sillage is great and it lasts quite awhile. This will always be high on my list for spring and summer.

Jeans Couture Man by Versace

Without being too complicated this scent is sexy and fun. I get many compliments when I'm wearing it and I love it right out of the bottle. Too bad it is near impossible to find.

The Dreamer by Versace

Tobacco and Spice is what I get from this and I like it alot. I purchased this during the winter months of 2001 and was taken in. There was a warmth to the scent that stays with you and the sillage is great. This one definitely brings back memories and I may go back to it again soon.

Cool Water by Davidoff

I just can't rip this. In the early to mid 90s I wore this exclusively and no matter what people say this cologne alone is the champion of the most compliments I ever received as women wither hugged me or wouldn't let go of me. That is all I can say. It has been years since I broke away but there are times I wonder if I'm too old to go back because it worked. I tested GIT and it is very similar. GIT is a little richer on how it drys down but not much to me to make a $200 difference.

Brooks Brothers for Men by Brooks Brothers

I don't wear this anymore but this used to be a staple in my fall/winter set. It has a great classic scent that draws you in and has great sillage on me. The drydown on your clothing will draw women in. Great stuff for the price. the only way I can explain it is that this cologne reminds me of a Brooks Brothers type store with class and sophistication.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I just can't give this a thumbs up. It smells decent. When I first purchased this years ago it was distinctive enough where I felt like I was wearing something that stood out for summer. Not only has that changed but so did my feeling for the scent. It now goes on like bug spray and is almost caustic on me, even on drydown. I just cant wear this with confidence anymore.

Vetiver by Guerlain

Blasphemy!That is what some might say of my review but at this time I really can't say I like this. I like tobacco and pepper but I just couldn't get with this. The minute I tried this on my skin I was taken aback by very pesticide/flea dip smell that was overpowering. After an hour or so, that same strength and scent stayed with me. It really didn't remind me of a summer scent but of an old man fall scent. I will revisit this but I was highly disappointed. Definitely something I'm glad I didn't go blind into.
17th June, 2008 (last edited: 07th July, 2008)

Gucci pour Homme II by Gucci

I love the spiciness of this. I can't stop smelling it on my skin when it is on. A very sexy fragrance.
13th June, 2008

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

One of my favorites. I agree with many that it varies with skin. On me I think it smells wonderful and I get many compliments. The amber and musk at the drydown has a nice sweetness on me that isn't what I would call powdery. It still is masculine. I actually get a 7-8 hor longevity on this one. I love it. My favorite Armani.
13th June, 2008 (last edited: 07th July, 2008)

Blue Jeans by Versace

TOO SWEET!I've gone back to this twice and botgh times it was tested on my skin. the first time I was near offended by the sweetness but an hour later the drydown was enough to make me want to try it again. The second time wasn't as bad and, again, the drydown was nice enough but to be it was casual, notbhing special and almost too much. I can se ehow this would be popular with the youth crowd but not with anyone at work.
13th June, 2008 (last edited: 07th July, 2008)