Reviews by mysolegia

mysolegia's avatar
    mysolegia
    Portugal Portugal

French Cancan by Caron

There is only one aspect of this scent that keeps me from giving it a thumbs down and that is somewhere in the mid-notes there is a fizzy, sparkly champagne-like quality to it that I enjoy. That fizz reminds me of my Caron favourite Bellodgia but with more oranges and less cream. What I get from time to time with this scent is a stale musty odor and urine whiff combined-----that puts me off.

28 October, 2010

Paloma Picasso / Mon Parfum by Paloma Picasso

Here in my just-across-the-border town (Seville is 1 hour away) there are 2 things you can count on seeing in every household: a shrine to Our Lady of (Victory, Fatima, Lourdes......whomever you choose) and a flacon of PP ontop of the toccador, if only as decoration if it's not actually used. I've been seeing it for a while at my cousin's home but never sampled it, then the other day I asked her if I could pull out some into my little steel vial that I carry with me (there's a story behind that and why I carry it on me.....some other time). PP is bright, sunny, dewy and fresh---just like an early Summer morning near the coast where I live. I love the creative use of patchouli and honey in this scent. I have heard people compare PP to Chanel 19. I can't see the comparison--PP is an orange and 19 is an apple---how to compare? I love both.

17 October, 2010

Brigitte by Tocca

I love all the scents in this brand (Guiletta is my personal favourite not mentioned here) but the major problem is that they barely last beyond 2-3 hours, and I use the perfume solid not the EDP. Brigitte is warm, fruity and spicy. I love the ginger opening and the smooth rose midnotes, finishing in a sexy ending with musk-wood-vanilla. Sampling Brigitte is for me the perfect excuse to go shopping at New London Pharmacy in my old neighborhood!

Perle Noire by Avon

Oh happy day I found a nearly empty sample vial of this way in back of old drawer I opened and was transported back to the wild dating scene at my first junior college...this must have been the 80s maybe early 90s. Nice rose-spice scent that lasts all day with a small amount. It smells a lot like Black Pearls but without the chemical note that I usually get from BP.

Facets by Avon

How sad this is disontinued I liked it. I can't compare Facets with any other fragrance or find one that has any similarity. I almost certain that this used to have another name early on but I can't remember it now. The bottle used to be so pretty too, like a rare sapphire mounted on a beautiful gold setting. I don't really care normally for scents featuring myrrh or frankincense but this one used it nicely and lightly, this frag was never overwhelming even when applied with a heavy hand. Perfect for late fall or winter.

Kashmir Spice by Ava Luxe

It can be hit-or-miss sometimes with Ava luxe for me, but Serena is always first on the list for me when I want something out of the ordinary, or if I want something ordinary done extra-ordinary!

That being said, Kashmir spice is warm, elegant, exotic, intoxicating and comforting. IF YOU want to sample or purchase this (it's inexpensive) get a perfume oil ONLY. An EDP spray will easily overpower due to all the spice and wood. Easy, light handed application will go on forever. Outstanding.

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I don't know Chergui; don't know if I ever will. I'm only posting in response to BayKAT's review.

I figure any scent that can give you pleasant memories of a cantankerous 60 year old man must be great!

Cheers!

Jaïpur Saphir by Boucheron

Hello hello.......

Jaipur Saphir is the first fragrance in which I finally experienced a real "accord." What I mean is, I "heard" the melody produced by the strumming of the guitar, and it made sense to me. I saw how each note played with the others to produce that melody and I "saw" the mathematical/lyrical composition to it.

JS is soft, fresh and at first I thought this will wear off in a minute or two. Then, at unexpected intervals throughout the day, "dddrrrrran......." the guitar strums.

Ok, so what am I actually smelling here? Cardamom, milk, vanilla, peaches, roses, magnolias, cashews, cinnamon, a touch of coriander, or maybe cumin, seed.

Has anyone here ever had Kashmiri tea( the pink one)? It's a little like JS. Yum.

Violetta di Parma by Borsari

I like this very much it's been around for almost 150 years and it's easy to see why.

It's a simple straightforward floral/musk combination I would imagine that on different people it would have a different composition but each one compositon would be like the chords of a guitar--unique sounds but each still pleasing to hear.

Anyone who knows me well knows I'm a sucker for anything Italian and VdP proves again why I think Italian fragrances champion the French ones anyday.

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

AE is one of my all time favourites because it reminds me of one my all time favourite persons in the world (now deceased), one of my favourite months (November), one of my favourite colors (green), and of one of my favourite items of clothing (a plush robe that I refuse to get rid of even though it's in tatters). LIGHT application is the way to go. I like to purchase, when I'm lucky enough to find it, the shower gel and body lotion, as opposed to the EDT or perfume spray. It's a very warm and comforting scent when you apply just before bedtime. All thumbs up.

06 August, 2010

Colors de Benetton by Benetton

LOUD fragrance. You could smell this from a mile away. Orange and jasmines dominate on me. As with everyone else here, it was also something I used in high school on rare ocasion. It was just so loud I had a hard time using it everyday as I would have liked to since it was so in at the time. But I couldn't. Imagine pouring a quart of hot sauce on all your food, for all of your meals---as much as you like hot sauce, you just can't have that much!

14 June, 2010

White Linen by Estée Lauder

Very recognizable, if in fact anyone still wears this. At a local shopping mall near my town, there used to be a small store that made custom soaps and lotions, and also recreated any famous fragrance, all in house. They used frosted bottles with black caps and plain paper hand written stickers to label each fragrance. Nothing fancy or snobby about the store. Any fragrance, $23, and I purchased their White Linen several times. I didn't know until much later what the real fragrance smelled like. When I finally sampled the real White linen, I ended up liking this store's version far better. This phony one was much sweeter and less chemical, although I don't altogether hate the original, it's just the opening that's too much for me. Once it dries down, I love it. My thumbs up is more for the phony than the original. Sadly that business closed down many years ago.

12 June, 2010

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

This is a true breath of fresh air. Good stuff. Familiar, calming, happy. There are no unpleasant surprises with this one; it is what it is and it is great.

29 May, 2010

J'Adore by Christian Dior

The EDP is strong stuff, use sparingly otherwise you'll get a headache.
    I like this fragrance, especially in the late spring early summer months. It hasn't attracted bees to my wrists so that's especially a plus for me. I detect a honey-amber base to it, which I find intriguing, identifiable and IMO unusual. Would I purchase a bottle of it? Not likely, but it's a gift that I wouldn't mind getting and using. Nicely done.

28 May, 2010

Sambac by Ajne

I have never smelled pikake before, so I sampled this out of sheer curiosity. When I first applied it reminded me of A&D ointment a bit. Somewhere in the middle I got of whiff of hemp. As the scent develops on my skin it is beautiful, slightly tropical, fresh and balmy-herbal. Very different from anything else out there I think.

Falling In Love by Philosophy

Like burnt sugar with some lemon drops and an overripe raspberry. Individually I like those scents but mashed together? That's what Falling in love smells like. But for my own sake I hope not.

Fresh White Musk Fantasy by Body Fantasies

Don't get the body spray version of this. It smells like an ashtray. If you get the spray mist (the one in the regular plastic bottle) it smells just like Body Shop's White Musk, and I'm not a great fan of that one either. If I had to choose between the 2 Body Shop wins. Body Fantasies has other fantastic scents; in my opinion, this just isn't one of them.

Daydreams by Maybelline

I purchased a small bottle of this last year at cosmetics werehouse for $3. The bottle was really cute and retro looking, like something a teen from the 70s would have on her dresser. I think that Maybelline should consider producing this again, although I'll confess that I used to wear it mixed with Egyptian musk oil. The combo was very nice,unique and easily rivals some of the top of the line stuff out there (like Creed). On it's own it's a stand out but doesn't overpower. Nicely done.

Printemps by Ajne

My good people: drag your behinds to Ajne's website and purchase some samples PLEASE. These scents are serious business. Printemps is wow, wow, WOW. 3 hours after application and I cannot stop sniffing my wrist.

No, not April in Paris. That would be too predictable. This is quite unpredictable. If their sample cards that I got in the mail are correct, the scent works with my body chemistry and balances my heart chakra. I don't know a darn thing about chemistry and chakras, but if this scent is supposed to make me euphoric, then it HAS done its job.

I do have a great bias for gardenia, any day in any way. So how magnificent for me when this opens up that way. Yes it's true it is similar to Fleur Blanche in this way but while Fleur Blanche has more "stem," Printemps has more wood and honey. For me this scent is tropical almost all throughout the beginning, but mid-way something else takes over, and I can't help but imagine purple and orange-yellow flowers starting to "sleep" at dusk. Then there is a slight cashmere-musk like scent. Now I sense toast or smoke, but also a balm like aloe vera at the same time.

Bottom line: amazing. Again, browse thru the site. Ajne also has these amazing bottles that have to seen to be believed.

No. 19 by Chanel

I prefer this to No 5 a million times over. What a classy chypre, from beginnig to end. I can't get enough of it. I love rain, forests, moss on woods and 19 captures it nicely for me, and as a bonus the roses don't make me gag. I keep a tiny spray sample with me at all times. When I start to feel aggravated I sneak a quick spritz and voila my mood improves immediately. Thumbs way up and up.

Le Muguet by Annick Goutal

Lily of the Valley. If you like it, then this is almost the best LOTV. I don't think it beats out Caswell-Massey LOTV. For the price tag, Annick Goutal should do a little better.

Grand Amour by Annick Goutal

It's not the most impressive woody floral but it's overall nice. At the opening there's a dry wood and smoke scent. I initially thought this would be too dry for my taste. But then it started to sweeten and warm up on my skin. Most prevalent to my nose were the honeysuckle and hyacinth notes. Still dry and woody at this point, but with a leafy, grassy and earthy background. As stated in AnnS review, it's like working in your garden on a warm spring day. But I think this fragrance is most appropriate for evening wear.

31st January, 2010

Woody Sandalwood by Body Shop

This smells very spicy and the wood scent is too fake. However, blending it with a straight up floral makes it more mellow.

White Musk by Montale

I love white musks and while this isn't going to be my favourite it is one that I will always enjoy. This smells like your boyfriend getting ready to meet your parents for the first time. A fresh just out the shower scent that appeals to everyone.

White Musk by Body Shop

As soon as I sampled this I was taken back to my 8th grade homeroom. Big hair, acid washed jeans, oversized pullovers....you get the idea. Not that there is anything wrong with any of those things, but this is a straight 80s trip. Prepare yourself.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

I like the top and middle notes but not the end notes (that much). This first reminded me of South Beach, then as the scent progressed I was reminded of a scent from the mid 80s but I can't really tell which one. Also the scent lasts for a long time.

Ananya by Body Shop

Very strong stuff. It's heady and soapy and slightly overdone with the jasmines. Use sparingly.

Onice by Omnia Profumo

Like Granato, this scent has a strange opening. Celery and salad greens, no lie. Then it gets interesting. The notes are hard to pinpoint but what I perceived was nutmeg, a little coffee, white florals, green apple, mint. Some sort of wood shows up in there too but I can't tell which one. It's ethereal and airy. Out of the Omnia brand I like Onice the most, even if I can't identify all that's in it. Sooner or later I'll figure it out.

Madera by Omnia Profumo

Far too sweet and syrupy. I felt like visiting a dentist after sampling this scent.

Granato by Omnia Profumo

If you can get past the initial camphor scent then it's not so bad. This is a scent that changes every hour on the hour. It has jasmine, hawthorn, lilac, geranium, rose, gardenia, orange, nutmeg, cardamom, cinnamon stick, white thyme, anise, cedarwood, patchouli, sandalwood, vetiver, white musks, vanilla. I can't pick up on the vanilla, gardenia or rose in this fragrance but all other notes are there. I would call this the step-sister scent: part of your family but fundamentally an outsider.