Reviews by brrrry

brrrry's avatar
    brrrry

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

I have to agree with bokaba on this. A little too floral (mostly the rose) for me. I do like the musk in this and do find it slightly comparable to my ulitimate fav musk frag MKK. I keep getting wafts of it from time to time and it's starting to turn my stomach (second time this has happened with Kiehls Musk). I can see why some like it but I don't think it's for me.

28 May, 2011

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

I'm sorry but this is near pathetic. I don't like to leave negs and I hardly ever do. However, sometimes my feathers get a little ruffled and I can't hold back. I am disgusted with this frag. I have never really been a fan of Guerlain frags with the exception of vintage Derby. That being said, I have at least respected the "piece of work" and somewhat understood the following that this house has. There is not one positive thing I can say about "Homme" which is just sad. You would think when a prestigous house like Guerlain names a frag "Homme" it would be significant. This is just the opposite; a fruity, fresh aquatic that has no depth, merit, worth, or inspiration. If it were from Paris Hilton, JLo, or (insert pop singer/sleazy ikon here) it would be one thing. But this isn't. It is from a fragrance house that has roots deep into the art of perfumery and is held with high regard. It seems now that they are just trying to keep up with the current designer releases, which is and should be the beginning of their demise. Shame on them for putting out such BS.

16 December, 2010

Ciel Man by Amouage

This was so odd at first that I didn't even like it. In fact, I think my nose cringed. But as time passed and I moved deeper into the drydown phase, I realized it was something quite special. The opening can be a little crazy but it settles down into a wonderful fragrance that I can't get enough of. Longevity is off the charts for me. In fact I can't remember the last time I wore something that lasted longer. I had some on my neck that rubbed off on my seatbelt and two weeks later I am still smellng it. Same thing with my guitar strap, worn clothes, etc. It seems to leave a trace where ever it has been. And it is quite nice to get a random whiff of it when you're not even expecting it. It is quite pleasing and very uplifting, to me. I agree with hirch's review in that this fragrance has moved me in a way that I haven't experienced from a frag in some time. Sure, I can understand the bland reactions from some other reviewers. On the surface it does seem like another chapter in the "fresh" book. However, I think there is a lot more going on than it seems. I never understood the Amouage "hype" until I sampled Ciel. Now I'm a believer.

26 March, 2010

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I do like this, but the sillage is a bit too mild for my tastes. It was strong out of the gate but a half hour later is a little better than a "skin" scent, with the exception of the occasional waft due to body movement. I love the crisp opening the most and wish it stayed here a little longer before calming down. The drydown is still quite enjoyable. But as mentioned already this has been done before. I would love to own a bottle or large decant but really can't justify the price it commands for what it is. Still an easy thumbs up, nonetheless.

Vetyver Lanvin (new) by Lanvin

I picked this up at the Maxx for 9.99. Being a Vetiver note lover I thought I had made an awesome purchase. Boy, was I mistaken. I don't regret the blind purchase. At 9.99 I'll continue to make them. I'm not rich but the thrill of the hunt is worth ten bucks every now and then.

I don't agree with the consensus of the reviews below. This is really bad. The vetiver is very hard to discern. I have to keep smelling the back of my hand and remind myself that there is supposed to be vetiver there somewhere. Every few sniffs I'll get something kind of green that I guess some could call vetiver. But seriously, this is too much work for a note that is so easy to discover. This is not a vetiver frag. This is a green/fresh aquatic. Nothing more. I don't have a problem with a lighter, softer vetiver in a frag and sometimes find it a nice break from the strapping vetivers out there. However, when the frag has the word "Vetyver" in the title it needs to deliver. I have smelled several department store designer frags with a stronger vetiver note in the base. This isn't worth the time, trouble, or the ten bucks I paid for it. There are too many other frags out there, vetiver or not, that deserve to be worn before this one. Straight to the swap thread it goes.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I'm not really blown away by the Malles I have sampled so far. MR is staying the course. I think MR is above average but definitely not deserving of too much praise. I haven't done a side by side comparison but I'm getting quick allusions to Mugler's A-Men with a little musk, minus the huge patch note. That explains the huge following to me, and the stories of MR having a nice effect on most women. It wears nicely, with sillage and longevity being high. I just feel like there should be more there due to the hype and price. I have no problem spending dough on a frag when it's deserving but I'm just not getting it. All in all, I like it but would have to find it at a discounted rate before adding it to my wardrobe.

Visit by Azzaro

I don't really care for this. It is somewhat original and doesn't smell like a lot of designer frags that are out there. However, there is a reason I found this in the bargain bin at the Maxx. It is just too boring. Maybe I'm in a stage right now where a frag has got to do SOMETHING for me. I mean we all like to smell good but I would also like to feel an emotion to it when I wear it. This doesn't do anything for me. I find it to be overly synthetic and there is some note in the opening or heart that really doesn't sit well with me. Could be the nutmeg that many have mentioned. The bad note doesn't last too long and then your stuck with a long and boring drydown. I don't get a lot of the listed notes either, just the cedarwood, musk, and amber. No incense, pink pepper, or gaiac wood to my nose. The pink pepper and incense would have changed things but I don't really get those notes in there.

I can kinda see the comparisons to Gucci PH 1. But I find GPH1 to be better even though it is a little more brass than Visit. The cedar and amber are amped up more in GPH1, and against what I would think, actually make GPH1 a better choice.

I rate this one neutral only because it is wearable and doesn't smell bad at all. It's just that I want a little more feeling from my frags and I don't get one from this one. I will probably sample this again in a few months because I do agree with Bigsly that this has potential. It could just be the wrong setting (season, temp, mood) for me to fully enjoy right now. It isn't uncommon for frags to "grow" on me and this very well could, in the future. Who knows?

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Easily in my top five. Not dirty at all, except for maybe a few minutes during the opening. It's actually quite beautiful. One of the few Lutens that I immensely enjoy along with Ambre Sultan. Another one of those scents that most people around you won't get or enjoy. But, personally I wear this for my own enjoyment and wouldn't have it any other way.

18 February, 2010

Racine by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

The opening is very citrusy, almost too much so. I have spayed it several times today to get a decent feel of it. Each different time, except one, the citrus was a little overpowering upon first blast. I don't agree with a lot of the reviews that give acclaim for the citrus/vetiver dynamic in the earlier stages. The first ten or so minutes can be a little tough to deal with if you used more than 2-3 sprays.

IMO, Racine really starts to shine once the citrus settles down a bit and the vetiver mingles with the rest of the bottom notes. I will have to agree with the main theme of zztopp's and foetidus' reviews in that the real beauty of it is the quality of the notes, especially the vetiver. Racine is very dry and light, staying close to the skin for most of it's life. It has good longevity but is hard to detect, except for the occasional waft due to slight body movement. It can easily be worn in any season and is very well blended. An easy thumbs up for me.

10th February, 2010

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Another example of why I (even though I damn well know better) still blind buy. Well at least if it's cheap enough.... I bought this from a very generous BNoter who was practically giving it away and had no idea how good this was. The opening was uneventful but the herbal mids put a big ole smile on my face. I don't really get anything animalic or "dirty" out of it. I only wish I did. Something along the lines of Eau de Hermes or Declaration would have only made it better. Nope, it stayed "fresh" on me for the entire ride. At times it did remind me of the overplayed Fierce by A&F but that's not entirely a bad thing. Sillage seems a tad low and I only wish it lasted a little longer. It could be the low sillage throwing me off but I didn't really detect it after about 4.5 hours. All in all a good frag and an easy thumbs up.

05 February, 2010

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

I loved this back in the mid 90's. I revisited it this weekend, passing time in Ulta while my GF shopped, just for the hell of it. I really don't understand it at all. I guess it made sense when I was a 17-18 year old kid. But now at 32 I just don't get it. It didn't smell sporty to me at all. I just got a general "spice" smell out of it and it was terribly synthetic. Not to mention, extremely overbearing. The fact that there are so many other "sporty" frags out there makes Polo Sport expendable and IMO not worth sampling.

02 February, 2010

9 IX Rocawear by Rocawear

Reminds me a little of Romance Silver, however I sold my bottle so I'm only going off of memory. Someone bought this for my 88 year old Grandfather, no really. So, the last time I was visiting I decided to spray my arm, just for sh---- and giggles. Just what I thought. Did I really need to acutally smell it to know what it was going to smell like? Same generic smell that every designer company puts out these days. Definitely inoffensive and definitely not for me.

15 January, 2010

Vetiver Extreme by Guerlain

I don't think it's THAT bad............... OK, I'll admit when you see the word "extreme" you would expect an amplified version of the original. In that regard Extreme fails. And for that reason I can definitely understand the "extreme" disappointment (pun intended). To me it smells just like the regular version, just a tad bit deeper and with better longevity. It does, however, seem to stay closer to the skin than the original. I think if this was named differently or issued from a different house it wouldn't be getting as many negs. The title and what it implies seems to be getting all of the attention and not the frag. Recommended, but only if you don't already have the original.

15 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 12 March, 2010)

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

I completely agree with Trebor's review below. I personally don't see a reason to own this if you already own Guerlain's Vetiver. They are too similiar IMO to warrant both.

24 December, 2009

Success is the Essence of New York / Andy Warhol Success is a Job in New York by Bond No. 9

The vanilla is too overwhelming in this one. Also the base reminds me of the base in some of the Chanel mens frags like Pour Monsieur (reformulated) and Plat Egoiste. However, with the other notes involved it is leaning towards feminine to me. Like Kaern, I won't be wearing it either.

24 December, 2009

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

I absolutely love this. I appreciate something new with almost every wearing. I don't really care for vanilla frags that much but this one stands out to me. I will always have a bottle in my drobe and will be really upset when my vintage bottle runs empty.

22 November, 2009

Vétiver by Creed

REALLY good juice here. I had a bottle and sold it to a fellow BNoter almost a year ago, not really understanding what I had. I decanted 1.5 ml for old times sake before I sent the bottle away. I recently won another on ebay and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is as good as my previous bottle. I haven't wore it since I sold it and decided to spray a few squirts of my decanted juice to hold me over til the full bottle arrives. This fits so many categories for me. Classy, elegant, leisure, yard work, at the bar, at the office, etc. The list could go on as far as where this will work. It does smell very "fresh" but not in the trendy way that comprises most of today's newly released crap. I feel this is a nice segue into vetiver frags for somone who isn't familiar with the note or genre. Not too heavy on the vetiver as some of the other go-tos that get mentioned when vetiver is brought up. I'm sure it's not raw enough for some but it works for me as a change of pace, when I want vetiver to ride shotgun and not man the steering wheel. IMO this, among a few others, is why I hold Creed in high regard. They get knocked around for some of their latest offerings. But they have got some real gems in their stable if you look a little further than the well known. Big thumbs up.

19 November, 2009

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

IMO, the florals in the mid are what really makes this shine. It took me quite some time to appreciate this. I always thought it "smelled good" but we all know that's only a small part of it. The florals in the heart are of high quality and to me really make this frag. It is well made and defintely deserving of the props it receives. That being said, it isn't the HOLY GRAIL that a lot of people seem to think it is. There are far more challenging, creative, and inspiring frags than this in the Creed line, let alone the fragrance universe. Thumbs up, but don't end your journey here.

19 November, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 February, 2010)

F pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Nothing groundbreaking here. But, it is quite pleasant after you get through the apple in the top. They drydown is actually pretty good and lasts quite some time. A lot longer than I figured. I'll give it a neutral because it really wouldn't bother me too much if I never smelled it again.

13 November, 2009

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Just like Mario I have to disagree with a few members whose opinions I respect. I don't care for this one at all. I had sampled it a few times (liked it) and bought a bottle. Everytime I wear it now, my disdain grows. I find it unbearable and on the cusp of just plain tacky. The tobacco is hidden under a mountain of sythetic trash. I'd love to tell you how I translate the notes but I can't smell any over the burning in my nostrils. I am one of the lucky ones that most everything "works" on me and lasts too. This one does last, but a bit too much after a minute of wearing it. I have always read the reviews of others who claim they had to wash it off and I never understood how bad that could be. Now I know. One of the few "thumbs down" I have given. This will be swapped immediately. Sorry to the fans but I don't get it.

07 October, 2009

Angélique Encens by Creed

Absolutely beautiful, from start to finish. Sillage is well above average and that whiff you get keeps pulling your wrist closer to your nose. Vibert is right on the money in that I definitely get an animalic note (cumin, maybe, as he mentioned) in there somewhere. I have worn this four times and tonight I got it for the first time. It's only there for about 5 to ten minutes but it is there and it is in charge for that short period. The rest of the time is spent with vanilla and incense in what others here have described as an unbelievable drydown. It is really hard for me to conceive that this is from 1933. It has a 70's/80's vibe to me, and IMO seems way ahead of it's time, compared to others from the same era. I only visit this once in a while but what a treat when I do.

17 September, 2009

Frankincense & Myrrh by Czech & Speake

Not too bad. I had orginally sampled after washing with a scented body wash. This (of course) threw off the test. Second test was much better and I can actually get the incense and myrrh this time. Dry down reminds me a little bit of Safari. Pretty good stuff and I find the sillage to be above average.

10th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th September, 2009)

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Unlike a lot of the newer Creeds this one lasts and lasts. Huge lime opening, among others. This is aquatic, but aquatic to the next level. This doesn't smell like the sea, it smells of the carribean. I smell this and remember all those times spent in those magestic islands drunk off my ass. Lime, coconut, and musk are the main players here, although the rum and sugar cane are noticeable. I don't wear it too often, but when I do I wonder why I don't. Lovely, but not "must have". I own a bottle but a 30ml decant would probably suffice.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Normally with all the existing reviews I would refrain from adding my mondane 2 cents. However this is just that damn good. I don't get the "aquatic" vibe that many people allude to. I def get the melon/fresh vibe along with that amber/musk drydown. I also don't really get the Wall St connection. I would say Wall St is alot more like Erolfa (althoug I do agree that Erolfa and MI are similiar in some ways). Longevity is an issue, as with most of the modern Creeds. But hell, everything comes with a cost. This is damn good and I will always have a bottle in my wardrobe. The warm Florida climate that I call home demands such frags, and to me MI is the best.

Gucci pour Homme (original) by Gucci

One of the best I've had the pleasure of smelling. An uncle of mine had this back in the late eighties and I would steal a spray here and there. Always liked it. I had seen the prices it commands these days and thought I would never break down and actually buy a bottle, especially with the risk of a "turned" bottle. But sometimes things happen for the better..... I discovered a pretty damn good deal on ebay from an estate sale. I scooped up a 4oz for an unbelievable price. Upon first spray I realized how some scents are embedded in our memories forever. I've read countless reviews how people recite their memories being tied into the smell they remember or a certain scent. This smelled exactly as I remembered it and I was instantly brought back to a time when I was a kid and had no worries. Just trying to look cool and do what everyone else was doing. How times have changed. But this fragrance hasn't. Very dry from opening thoughout. Leather is evident from the begining, although restrained. The mix of mossy woods and the leather that I detect last for quite sometime. As Aromi states, it isn't the holy grail, but I wonder just how far it is from it. Thumbs way up. They just don't don't make em like this anymore.

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

I didn't like this at first but I eventually came to love it. The opening can sometimes be challenging but it's worth it to get to the elegant drydown. I definitely get the Egoiste references (rose, vanilla) but this isn't quiet as good IMO. An easy thumbs up, none the less.

20th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 November, 2009)

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Lumières D'Issey by Issey Miyake

Picked this up on eBay on the cheap. I'll be the first one to bash an aquatic. But because of the sometimes unbearable climate here in Florida, aquatics have become an evil necessity. However, there are only a select few that fit the bill. And most of the Isseys are in that class. I think the original gets beat up pretty bad here on BN. This is a slight spin on the original. Unless you compare them side by side it's hard to tell an acute difference. It's got a little more citrus, mainly grapefruit in the opening. Then mostly the same with a little less woods and hardly any vetiver, which I get a lot of in the drydown in the original. I do find this one to be mostly linear and also a little stronger than the original. This is kind of weird since it's supposed to be a "summer version" of an already "summer" frag. Not a bad scent but not worth buying if you own any of the other Isseys, with the exception of L'Eaue Bleue.

13 August, 2009

Artisan by John Varvatos

Anybody else test this one yet? I shot one good spray to my forearm while purchasing Brooklyn this past weekend. I have to say I was presently surprised. I say this because of my disapppointment with Vintage. The original is pretty damn good, but to me Vintage is generic and uninspired. Artisan opens with an enormous blast of citrus. After reading the pyramid it all makes sense now. I couldn't tell you what Sicilian clemenine or essence of orange jasmune tree smell like. But what I will tell you is that Artisan is very, very orange. For those of you who have smelled Little Italy by Bond No 9, you will know what I mean. To me Artisan stays pretty much linear throughout the duration. It eventually settles in and you do get at bit of musk at the end. But, please don't be fooled by the citrus notes as this does differ from most citrus frags. For one it seems to have great longevity and it also projects pretty nicely (slightly overpowering the new Issey Miyake Summer that I sprayed on my wrist of the same arm). It ends up being quite a nice scent that for some reason you have to keep sniffing. I was thinking of buying a bottle but it's too new to find a good deal on it, so maybe I'll wait a bit.

23 April, 2009

Eau de Monsieur by Annick Goutal

This is pretty bad. The opening made me gag so I can't go any further than that. There is some note in there that smells to me like an elderly person smothered in moth balls. Maybe the oakmoss listed? Not really sure. It literally took my breath away. I hate to give such a negative review and perhaps I got an old sample. Who knows? I can only go by what I smell, and it aint good.

05 March, 2009

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

Upon the initial blast I get a strong camphorous note along with the smokey tar mentioned by others. After about a minute I get a stong smell of tobacco. Not the pleasant tobacco that so many of us love. I mean tobacco in the form of a freshly extinguished cigarette. I used to smoke and the smell I'm trying to describre reminds me of an ashtray with a few "butts" in it. This persists for about 5-8 minutes and then the leather has arrived with both revolvers drawn. I'm only about 30 minutes in and all I'm getting is leather. I reviewed the notes listed by LiveJazz but, like Foetidus, I can't really relate to them. I only really get the leather, which even isn't listed. It isn't bad once you get passed that initial blast. I've definitely smelled better leather scents but this one isn't the worst either. It's masculine for sure and does the trick when you want something a little rugged or are just tired of wearing something "clean".

27 February, 2009 (Last Edited: 13 August, 2009)