Reviews by MissBehaviour

Dune by Christian Dior

This is one of the most beautiful fragrances I have ever experienced. It has been a fragrance staple of mine for 13 years, ever since it was given to me as a present for my 18th birthday by a classmate. I love big oriental fragrances, but this is the only oriental fragrance that I know of which possesses such singular, sheer freshness without losing any of the ambery, spicy goodness that characterizes oriental scents. This is sweet without being syrupy, spicy without being musty, sheer without being boring, floral without being old fashioned, with outstanding sillage and lasting power to boot. A joy from first spray to drydown. Classic.

20th August, 2008

Néonatura - Cocoon by Yves Rocher

Yum. This manages to be both foody-sweet and earthy at the same time. The chocolate-caramel notes develop first on my skin and then the patchouli kicks in after about 20 minutes and continues to reappear now and then as the day progresses. I really enjoy this interplay between the sweet and almost dirty notes in this. The only drawback is that this fragrance does not have exceptional lasting power, however for the price it is an interesting, relatively complex and sexy fragrance that smells precious in the same way that a lot of higher end fragrances do. Not a bad buy at all, especially during YR's sales.

L'Instant Magic by Guerlain

I received a tester vial of this fragrance and have thus had several opportunities to wear it before writing my review. I am a huge fan of many Guerlain fragrances, but this one left me extremely disappointed. It smells as generically pink and fruity as any drugstore scent launched in recent memory, yet it carries a hefty price tag. Lasting power is shocking--gone in under an hour. I have Body Shop fragrances that perform better. Bland and uninspiring and a big thumbs down.

L by Lolita Lempicka

Wow, am I ever in the minority here! I find L to be completely unremarkeable. On me it is a light, sheer vanilla scent with just the slightest hint of something else--floral?--lurking underneath. I find it flat and boring and can think of at least five vanilla based scents that I prefer over this. Don't buy this without testing first if you like the original Lolita Lempicka fragrance--they are nothing alike.

Noa by Cacharel

I can't get enough of this sheer whisper of a fragrance; it is addictive and stunning and possibly the only extremely quiet fragrance that I now consider a staple and will repurchase for as long as they make it. Upon initial application I can hardly smell this at all, but the reward comes after about 15 minutes when it begins to develop on my skin. To me this is a perfect blend of "white flowers" and musks, but the brilliant addition of the coffee note prevents it from being blandly sweet. It has real personality and is beautifully feminine. Just when I think this has faded completely, it will kick back in and the peony makes its presence known again. The only drawback is that I need to reapply this during the day as its lasting power is average for what is already a very sheer scent to begin with. Despite this and despite my usual preference for strong fragrances, this one has a firm spot in my top ten faves. It's perfect for daytime and office wear and pretty much any occasion. Lovely.

13 August, 2008

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

This is an incredibly pleasant, pretty scent with good lasting power and a polite amount of sillage. It also lacks the slightly sour cast that a lot of EL fragrances have (I'm lookin' at you, White Linen). I find it perfect for hot weather and office wear and reach for it generally whenever I need a pretty but low-key fragrance that works well in a lot of social environments. Is this a diva fragrance that will turn heads? No. Its sex-appeal has more to do with flirty femininity than raw allure, but this is what makes it so versatile. Must be tested on the skin--a spray on a test strip won't do it justice as it develops beautifully on warm skin after about 5 minutes. A solid buy and an appropriate choice for many occasions.

09 August, 2008

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

This was one of my first fragrances as a little girl and a staple throughout my teenage years. I recently revisited it (at age 30) and have fallen in love with it again. This smells incredibly pretty--a perfect blend of floral and powdery/soapy notes that is neither too sweet nor too green, with fantastic lasting power and a moderate price tag. Its eighties/girly image shouldn't prevent anyone from giving this one a try--it is better in many respects than a lot of pricier fragrances that have been launched in recent years. Will always have a bottle in my collection.

09 August, 2008

1881 pour Femme by Cerruti

This fragrance is one of my new summer staples. To me it smells rosey with a distinct note of jasmine and a honeydew sweetness that is tempered by a fresh citrus burst. It manages to be noticeable but not overpowering, feminine but fresh at the same time. I like to wear this on a hot day. It has reasonable lasting power and suits most occasions--great for work and all casual settings as well. I wouldn't wear this to bowl someone over with my romantic powers (it's too demure for that). Classy without being stuffy and one that suits all ages. It reminds me of a much lighter, slightly citrussy version of Tresor--one of my favourite perfumes.

25 July, 2008

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

I wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much as I did; I love vanilla as one component of many in a fragrance, but rarely seek out anything that smells strictly of vanilla. My first impression was that this smells quite sharp and agressive, initlally a bit spicy as well, but it quickly settles into a deliciously sweet, musky, comforting scent with fantastic lasting power. It's definitely vanilla with oomph. I can see this working on a confident, fun-loving man with the sense of mischief and panache to carry something this sweet off. It's a fun, brash, sexy scent that I can imagine wearing during the winter as a pick-me-up, in any number of casual or romantic settings, but probably not in a more formal context (business meetings, job interviews). Perfect also for vanilla fragrance lovers who have yet to find a long-lasting vanilla fragrance--this one goes the extra mile (and then some).

23 July, 2008

Fuel For Life pour Femme by Diesel

I love patchouli, musk and jasmine, so the fact that I found this fragrance so deeply unappealing is a surprise. The initial burst of this on my skin was simply rank; it reminded me of car freshener. I'm not sure if it is the blackcurrant note that is contributing to the "off" sensation I get from this. Worst of all, this did not last well on my skin and went pretty much from awful to non-existent in the space of 30 minutes.

20th July, 2008

Jovan Musk by Jovan

I am a musk fan and enjoy finding inexpensive fragrances to add to my collection, but this simply didn't wow me on any level--even for the price. The smell is a pleasant enough powdery white floral one, but it evaporates on my skin seconds after application. If I want this to show up I need to douse myself in it, and the effect of that is too artificially cloying. I now use it to scent my laundry. My all time favourite inexpensive musk is still The Body Shop's White Musk (the perfume oil version), closely followed by The Body Shop's Japanese Musk perfume oil.

20th July, 2008

Acqua di Giò by Giorgio Armani

I began wearing this when it first came out and I have had a bottle of it knocking around ever since. The overall effect of this fragrance is fresh, clean, somewhat citrussy and watery, but complex and interesting enough to keep me coming back to it. I usually only wear this scent during the summer or on days when I want my fragrance to enhance rather than take center stage. For some reason I detect a melony essence in this, although it is possible that this is the effect of the peach/pineapple/lemon scent combination. The lasting power of this fragrance on me is decent although I find that I need to reapply this later on in the day if the first application was in the morning. This fragrance is a safe bet for anyone who wants to smell fresh and pleasant. It's a good scent to wear to work as I find it quite unlikely that this would be strong enough to offend anybody. It is very much a fragrance of its time--the mid nineties gave us various citrussy-oceanic-fresh scents that often had a unisex quality to them. I have since become fond of stronger, more complex scents, but this will always have a place in my collection. It seems to work very well with my body chemistry as several women I know have bought this fragrance after asking me what I was wearing.

28 June, 2008

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

I love this scent because of its musty, herbal darkness. It is a strong fragrance, so I can well understand that this might be too overpowering for some. It smells earthy and strong to me and almost male. I enjoy wearing this in autumn and winter (it is too intense to wear in the summer heat). I appreciate its lasting power and unabashed distinctiveness. Not for the faint of heart or those who appreciate demure floral fragrances.

28 June, 2008