Reviews by johnstaf

Crown Imperial by Crown Perfumery

I wore Crown Imperial tonight and my brother told me I smelt like crayons! At least the comparison is an original one!
30th August, 2001

Number 1 for Men by Clive Christian

The most awesome fragrance I've ever tried is the INSANELY expensive Clive Christian No.1 ($1800+ for 30ml parfum). It is way beyond my budget but is incredibly refined and sophisticated.
07th August, 2001

Pure Vetiver by Azzaro

This is a tricky one to form an opinion about. First of all I thought it was quite pleasant but no big deal. It's the sort of thing I've come across many times before, being citrus and pungent.
However, after an hour or so things are a little different. The vetiver comes to the fore. It has a sort of 'raw and earthy' smell. I've never smelt real vetiver, but I suppose this is what it smells like out of the ground. It's actually quite strong yet subtle after it dries down.
I don't know how to compare this to other vetivers, as I'm surprised at how little it has in common with the Guerlain version. Anyway, this is a nice laid back sort of perfume, which improves greatly as it dries down.
22nd January, 2001

The Dreamer by Versace

I like Versace the Dreamer. I don't know why, but I find it intriguing somehow. Maybe it's because my only experience of it comes from a 5ml sample my brother has, so I've never used more than the tiniest amount. I'd imagine it would be really overpowering if I used any more than that
09th January, 2001

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

I really like Dune. It's not a fragrance I wear very often, but it makes a nice change from time to time. I know it's been criticised for not having enough individuality, but that doesn't bother me.
09th January, 2001

Coriolan by Guerlain

Coriolan is a very special fragrance. A description of its notes couldn't do it justice because it has that extra 'something'. Straight out of the bottle, it is fresh and invigorating, but as it dries down it just gets better and better and...
07th January, 2001

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

I have that problem (overdose of fruitiness) with Xeryus Rouge. I spend time waiting for the rest of the fragrance to burst out, but it never does! What's really annoying is that it's so close to being amazing!
11th December, 2000

Paul Smith for Men by Paul Smith

I tried Paul Smith and I like it too. It's seems to be a very authentic Green. In fact, when I tried it during the summer, it reminded me of what summer should smell like i.e. not the Irish version!
18th November, 2000

Uomo? Moschino by Moschino

I loved it when I put it on first, but after a while I got very tired of it. There's an unpleasant sharp note lurking around in there somewhere.
17th November, 2000

Tempore Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Tempore Uomo really is good, isn't it? It was a must-have when I first came across it! The assistant in the shop where I bought it was quite surprised that it isn't all that popular. It would be a pity if it didn't survive.
08th November, 2000

Havana by Aramis

This has to be one of the heaviest fragrances available, so user discretion is advised! In some respects it seems like a much older fragrance than it actually is. Evolves nicely on the skin.
31st October, 2000