Reviews by Jon_Remy

Jon_Remy's avatar
    Jon_Remy

Café Men by Cofinluxe

What an excellent alternative to Xeryus by Givenchy!

Actually, Homme de Cafe by Cofinluxe was a blind buy for me. After trying it, I found that it was very similar, if not identical, to Xeryus by Givenchy. It also had all the staying power of Xeryus, and then some. I looked at the ingredients on the box, of which there were only 2, and they were: SD Alcohol 39 C, fragrance. The reference number is: 12101. It says it is made by Parfums Cafe-Paris. I am unsure if this is the same company as Cofinluxe. Anyway, I am very pleased with my purchase and have bought 4 more 3.4 oz. bottles to keep me stocked up. I will wear Homme de Cafe ($11 per bottle) when I'm not wearing Xeryus ($78 per bottle), which I save for formal occasions (although no one really would know which is which; you would think Homme de Cafe was Xeryus rebottled!). Anyway, I give it 5 stars for being an EXCELLENT knock-off of XERYUS!

Pros: Long-lasting, no water in ingredients, very similar to Xeryus
    Cons: None whatsoever."

11th September, 2013

Baldessarini Concentree by Baldessarini

Well, what can I say? My original Baldessarini Eau de Cologne (not the Concentree) had a really distinct quality about it, and I could really pick out the patchouli not. This was manufactured by P&G Prestige Beaute (Made in UK). The bottle says Baldessarini with Hugo Boss underneath. Now, I find, after purchasing the Baldessarini Eau de Cologne Concentree thinking it would be a stronger version of the original, I am a little disappointed. Maybe my nose isn't as good as it used to be, but I hardly detect the strong patchouli note that I did with the plain EdC. You would think that the EdC Concentree would be stronger and longer lasting. I don't think that is the case. Upon further inspection, the bottle this time says Baldessarini with Baldessarini underneath (not Hugo Boss anymore). I looked at the bottom of the bottle and it now says Maurer & Wirtz Prestige, Made in Germany. I realize that P&G Prestige Beaute was bought by Maurer & Wirtz Prestige, but did they change the formulation along the way? Did they get cheap and use less essential oil? I purchased several bottles and was on the verge of returning them all, but decided to keep them in the hopes they would "mature" and get stronger with age. I guess I'll have to become accustomed to the new, less-patchouli version and will use it casually instead of formally as I had intended. Whatever you do, test this fragrance first before you re-purchase it to see if you notice any significant difference from the original. I wish I had. If I had known this, I would've bought Declaration by Cartier instead. It's sad the strong and prominent patchouli note has been weakened in the so-called "Concentree" version.

07 April, 2013 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2013)

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

I absolutely LOVE Baldessarini! I remember smelling it the next day on my shirt in the laundry and thinking, WOW, this really IS a good fragrance! Although many here state it has a strong tobacco note, I would agree; however, I think per Hugo Boss' description, it is actually the single-note living patchouli flower that is predominant. I find this fragrance to be well suited for formal occasions, or a scent to wear when traveling. It is very cosmopolitan in nature, and smells so much more refined and classic than many fragrances out there today. The EdC has good lasting power, but I prefer the EdC Concentree. I like fragrances that stay with you, and ones that you can depend on. So many these days last for about 10 minutes and then are gone. I give Baldessarini a big Thumbs Up because it is so unique and classy.

07 April, 2013

Fendi by Fendi

So sad to hear this was discontinued! I HATE Fendi for doing that. So, I've had to improvise. You may or may not agree, but perhaps the following concoction might get a similar result to Fendi: Try mixing Prescriptives Aromatics Elixir with The Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose and see how that works. I haven't done it yet, but those are the notes I smell in Fendi for women. I do really smell the red rose from TPW's Tea Rose and the incense and leather from Prescriptives Aromatics Elixir. I sure wish Fendi would relaunch this exquisite fragrance and never discontinue it again. It tells me that Fendi does not appreciate their older customers and is now only catering to the young. Talk about age discrimination!

22 December, 2011

Marc Jacobs Autumn Splash Ivy by Marc Jacobs

Absolutely pathetic! I smell no ivy whatsoever and the staying power is lousy. This is not an eau de toilette, but more like an eau de eau (water without scent). Very light, non-descript boring scent. Bought "Cucumber," which was much better, but smelled nothing like cucumbers (which is good), but instead like fresh-mown grass. I bought that one. It reminds me of Bath and Body Works' "Rainkissed Leaves," which is absolutely wonderfully green and herbal!

28 August, 2010

Alain Delon / AD by Alain Delon

Wonderful! It reminds me of Paco Rabanne for Men. I bought five bottles a couple of years ago and I am glad I did since it's now discontinued. A wonderful fragrance in a solid big square bottle! Long-lasting, too!

07 April, 2010

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

Does anyone remember Halston 101. Well, this is a wonderful replacement for that exquisite legend. I think it smells almost exactly like Halston 101. Absolutely love it!

17 February, 2010

Pierre Cardin pour Homme by Pierre Cardin

This is definitely NOT the same Pierre Cardin as the one distributed by Tsumura, Intl., before it ws distributed by Aladdin Fragrances of Deer Park, NY. I can tell the formula has been changed because I compared the two. The Tsumura distributed PC is deeper, richer and has longer staying power. The "cheaper" Aladdin Fragrances version is weak, watery, and has practically no staying power at all. What is going on at Aladdin? Why are they skimping on the original essential oil content in PC? Very sad indeed how these companies seem to "pull the wool" over their customers' eyes and sell them watered-down fragrances. Very pitiful in my opinion...

16 January, 2010

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

The PC which was distributed by Tsumua, Intl. is a lot stronger, richer in the PC scent, and lasts a way lot longer. On the other hand, the newer PC distributed by Aladdin Fragrances of Deer Park, NY, seems to be weak, watered down, and has no staying power at all. Yes, it smells like the original PC, but a very watered down version. Apparently this newer company seems to be skimping on the essential oils which the original had, as it does not last a near as long as the original. How sad it is when companies start "pulling the wool" over their customers' eyes by watering down their fragrances. I can definitely tell this is what is going on with many companies trying to cut corners--one example is Chanel, whose Antaeus seems a bit more watered down nowadays as compared to days of yore. How sad, and how despicable if it is, in fact, true.

16 January, 2010

Jovan Musk by Jovan

What the HECK is going on with all these Jovan fragrances that have been discontinued?!?! I've never seen a company create and destroy so many different and fabulous fragrances! They seem to keep only the mediocre fragrances and instead discontinue all the original and exquisite signature fragrances such as Andron, Gambler, SportScent, Monsieur Jovan, Ginseng (in black bottle), etc. ALL of these were true signature fragrances. Now, all they're left with are generic musks and florals. Whatever happened to the creativity and daring of Jovan/Quintessence?! It seems they would like to play it safe and appeal to everyone instead of having a nice variety of fragrances from which we can pick and choose. In my opinion Jovan=Generic, old Jovan=Creative/Individuality. In this instance, old wins over new. Just like the original Clairol Herbal "Essence" shampoo (the BEST) was replaced by Clairol Herbal "Essences" shampoos (all of which, in my opinion, are NOT HERBAL AT ALL, but more sickeningly sweet florals). I avoid companies like these who can't seem to satisfy their long-term customers who use their products religiously, only to be disappointed when they decided to discontinue items that people have used for years. Anyway, my "favorite" current Jovan product is the White Musk for Men, which, I suppose, will be discontinued very shortly if they follow the same course as in the past. What a world!

16 November, 2009

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Smell of lilac? Similar to Lilac Vegetal by Pinaud? I love it! Grey Flannel is a classic that should be in every man's wardrobe!

23 April, 2009

Zizanie by Fragonard

Very nice, similar to Chaps or the original Royal Copenhagen. Did Frank Sinatra really wear this? I heard he wore Bois du Portugal by Creed. Personally, out of all the Creed fragrances, I really like Vintage Tabarome and Green Valley. I REALLY love Erolfa!

Royal Copenhagen Musk by Royal Copenhagen

This used to be my ALL-TIME favorite, but not anymore. Over the years, fragrance companies have watered down their fragrances and this appears to be one of them. I remember it being a rich, long-lasting GREAT musk. That was then, but this is now and all I can say is, IT'S CHEAP. Its staying power is pathetic, maybe 5 minutes. It is nothing like what I remember. The older version lasted all day. This obviously "new formula" smells mostly like the original RC Musk, but is really, really pathetic. I leave the top off so that hopefully the alcohol will evaporate and leave it a little more concentrated, but that didn't even help. I suppose if this ever came out in an eau de parfum version, then I'd consider buying it. It's truly sad that companies cut back on the essential oils to cut corners. It's just another example of pulling the wool over our eyes thinking we won't notice. Well, we do, and I suppose I'll have to find another alternative. The Kiehl's musk is really nice, as well as Dana's Monsieur Musk. This really used to be my favorite musk, and now I'm sad :(

Royal Copenhagen by Royal Copenhagen

I would have given this 5 stars had it been for the ORIGINAL Royal Copenhagen. Over the past 10 years or so, fragrances seem to have been watered down. Consequently, they become cheap and do not last on the skin. Since Royal Copenhagen is obviously one of those companies who has watered down their fragrances, I had turned to another almost identical fragrance, Chaps, which lasts much longer on the skin. If Royal Copenhagen comes out with an eau de parfum version of the original, then, and only then, will I think about purchasing Royal Copenhagen again! Otherwise, I'll be wearing Chaps or Zizanie, another RC smell-alike.

Chaps (original) by Ralph Lauren

My brother used to wear this while dating his girlfriend, now wife, back in 1980. It is a very nice masculine fragrance which smell almost identical to the original Royal Copenhagen or Zizanie. However, I think I prefer the Chaps over the other two because it seems to have more lasting power. It seems like the people over at Royal Copenhagen have really watered down their fragrances and the don't last on my skin for 5 minutes, especially the Royal Copenhagen Musk (which I absolutely used to love, but not anymore). It seems fragrance companies are getting cheap by using less essential oil. Consequently, they will lose my business and hopefully they won't be in business too long after cheating their customers. I find that the only way to stay safe is to buy the eau de parfum, if available, in men's fragrances. Most of the time those will last. I do like Chaps though.

Happy for Men by Clinique

A great alternative to Acqua di Gio.

Chemistry by Clinique

A GREAT fragrance that smell similar to Jil Sander for Men. I still miss the original Clinique for Men, which had more of a tonic smell.

Estée Super by Estée Lauder

By far the BEST of all the Estee Lauder Fragrances. Don't mistake this, however, for the Estee Pure Fragrance Spray. This is the Estee Super Cologne Spray. They are two totally different things. The Estee Pure Fragrance Spray does NOT last at ALL. However, the Estee Super Cologne Spray lasts ALL day. I wore it the night before and could still smell it on my skin the next morning. The Pure Fragrance Spray comes in a 2-ounce bottle, the Super Cologne Spray comes in a 1.85-ounce bottle. Buy the Super Cologne Spray, otherwise you'll keep spraying the Pure Fragrance Spray to constantly freshen up. I highly recommend the Super Cologne Spray!

Estée by Estée Lauder

Estee does NOT have staying power at ALL. If you want the wonderful Estee scent, purchase the Estee Super Cologne Spray instead. They are two totally different things. The Estee Pure Fragrance Spray does NOT last at ALL. However, the Estee Super Cologne Spray lasts ALL day. I wore it the night before and could still smell it on my skin the next morning. The Pure Fragrance Spray comes in a 2-ounce bottle, the Super Cologne Spray comes in a 1.85-ounce bottle. Buy the Super Cologne Spray, otherwise you'll keep spraying the Pure Fragrance Spray to constantly freshen up. I highly recommend the Super Cologne Spray instead!

Wrappings by Clinique

The BEST out of ALL the Clinique line. However, why does Clinique only sell this at Christmastime in a 1.66-ounce bottle gift set. I've been trying to find the 3.4-ounce clear bottle with the frosted edges and frosted gold cap. I cannot find this during the other time of the year. Is this some kind of marketing ploy to make Wrappings more elusive, rare, and hard to find (so they can raise the price?). I wish Clinique would carry Wrappings all year round, in the original size of 3.4 ounces perfume spray. I suppose they're hoping people will stock up on it and sell more when it only comes out around Christmastime. It worked! I bought four give sets! A wonderful, wonderful evergreen-laced fragrance for men AND women. I love it! It lasts quite well, too.

Metropolis by Estée Lauder

It says here that Metropolis is in production, but I've not been able to find it anywhere. If they discontinued it, it is a pity. This was my favorite all time fragrance of the mid to late 80s. It seemed to be a nice herbal fragrance with a hint of green tomato. I remember it having undertones of V8 juice, but I loved it! If anyone knows where to purchase this wonderful fragrance, please let us know here. (But I'm not willing to pay $299 for a bottle, like some sites want--I was looking for Boss Spirit and found it for $300 on the internet and I said to myself forget that, I can just find a new fragrance!). Yes, PLEASE bring back Metropolis if it's been discontinued. By the way, I really like the original Lauder for Men, which is available at my local department store. (Did anyone notice that Donald Trump's fragrance is packaged in the same bottle as Lauder for Men?).

01st January, 2009

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

I was sitting in the El Adobe Restaurant bar in San Juan Capistrano, when this lovely woman walked in and sat at the bar behind me. I was sitting in a chair behind her sipping my drink with my relatives, when her perfume kept wafting in my direction. I kept asking myself what was that fragrance? It kind of reminded me of Woman by Jovan. I asked the waiter to ask her what she was wearing. He came back and said Estee Lauder. He didn't specify which Estee Lauder, so I figured I'd just go to my local department store and smell them all and see which one it was. It turned out to be Youth Dew. I went ahead and bought a bottle. I really love Woman by Jovan, but the Youth Dew seemed a bit more potent, which I like. I prefer to wear fragrances which are noticeable, not hidden or subtle. I really don't care if someone complains about my fragrance. Too bad I don't smoke anymore, because I'd light up a cigarette and see if they'd prefer the cigarette smoke over my cologne. Some people just don't have lives and only have time to complain about petty things like someone's cologne. If you've got allergies or are hypersensitive to scents, then keep your distance and don't get near me. It's that simple. By the way, Happy New Year 2009 to all here on Basenotes! Wishing you all the best in 2009!

01st January, 2009

360 Degrees Blue for Men by Perry Ellis

An EXCELLENT alternative to Drakkar Noir! I believe many of the Perry Ellis fragrances are designed to mimic other fragrances, e.g., Perry Ellis 360 White smells like Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier; Perry Ellis 360 Red smells like Acqua di Gio by Armani, etc. The one GOOD thing about Perry Ellis fragrances is that they LAST! They are good quality fragrances and don't lose their punch (we don't to not be able to smell them after five minutes do we?). Thus, they are a good value, and you will be surprised at the lasting power of ALL Perry Ellis fragrances, as compared to the newer and cheaper watered down fragrances of today. You won't be disappointed. This (PE 360 Blue), in my opinion, smells almost exactly like Guy Laroche's Drakkar Noir. I love it!

Portfolio Green for Men by Perry Ellis

I like Portfolio Green because is smells similar to Dolce & Gabbana for men, although I think D&G for men is stronger/potent, which I prefer. I'm tired of fragrances I can't smell after an hour. Don't get me wrong, ALL Perry Ellis fragrances have wonderful staying power. I just think that D&G is a little more to my liking.

Portfolio for Men by Perry Ellis

Portfolio is very original. I really can't compare it to any other fragrance. It has an icy, slightly minty, almost sweet pear smell to it. It has a clean smell to it, with maybe a very, very slight hint of Mat (although I could be thinking of some other fragrance). I do enjoy the Portfolio line, and, in fact, I have all three, the Portfolio original, Portfolio Elite, and Portfolio Green. Of the three, the Portfolio Elite is my favorite. Perhaps it's because I'm partial to the color blue. The bottle looks like a cold blue winter day, and the smell is quite apropos for a cold blue winter day. I like wearing fragrances in the winter because your body heat seems to make the fragrance create a scent aura about your person.

Perry Ellis for Men (original) by Perry Ellis

I don't know why this has been discontinued!!! This was the BEST of ALL the Perry Ellis fragrances!!! How stupid and selfish of the Perry Ellis distributors--to discontinue their namesake fragrance. What a bunch of #%*(&#$'s at Perry Ellis. That's like Ralph Lauren discontinuing Polo, or Balenciaga discontinuing Balenciaga Pour Homme (which they did!). If you like this fragrance, you better stock up while you can. It is in my top 10, so I bought about 8 bottles (hopefully to last my lifetime). I still can't believe this beautiful rich fragrance has been discontinued. Again, what a bunch of #%*(&#$'s!!!!

America for Men by Perry Ellis

An EXCELLENT alternative to Eternity by Calvin Klein. This fragrance is VERY similar to Eternity; however, I believe it has longer staying power. It is a wonderful clean-smelling fragrance, perfect to wear in the summer (or winter). You will be pleased with America if you like Eternity. It is usually a relatively inexpensive fragrance too, around $18 for a 5-ounce bottle. So, it's a real deal since this fragrance seems to have such lasting power for such an inexpensive price. I usually have to purchase the Eau de Parfum if I want a fragrance to last without having to re-spray every hour. You will definitely be pleased wtih America, especially if you like Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein. Enjoy!

Essenza di Zegna by Ermenegildo Zegna

Not very long-lasting. Try Kouros Sport. It smells identical but has longer staying power. Don't pay a lot for Essenza di Zegna, when Kouros Sport is probably 1/2 the cost but TWICE the potency. That about the only difference, Kouros Sport lasts longer!

19 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 21st December, 2012)

Azzaro Now Men by Azzaro

Wonderful, wonderful. What a GREAT replacement for my Essenza di Zegna (which does not last at all). I find that Azzaro Now lasts all day. Finally, a fragrance worth purchasing. Most fragrances nowadays have gotten cheap with the percentage of essential oil in the fragrance itself. This is a wonderful scent, long-lasting, and you can actually feel it has more essential oil content when you spray it between your fingers and rub them together. This is an excellent product, with a one-of-a-kind scent, and it won't let you down. You can spray it on in the morning, and still smell it it during Happy Hour. It is not an overpowering or offensive fragrance, it just lasts! A great deal! Nice bottle too! PS-I didn't care for Now Women (too common).

19 May, 2008

Essenza di Zegna Intense by Ermenegildo Zegna

I don't know why they called this Intense. I smells just like the original and the staying power is probably the same, if not less intense. The covering on the bottle is leather. This fragrance does not last on the skin, it must be sprayed on clothing to even linger a little while. I would play it safe and buy Azzaro NOW instead. It smells identical to Essenza di Zegna, but last a LOT longer. I think you'll prefer the staying power of Azzaro NOW over E di Z.

19 May, 2008