Reviews by merw

merw's avatar
    merw
    Turkey Turkey

Womanity by Thierry Mugler

All I could feel was fig and fig wood. My grandma has fig trees in her garden, when I was a child I used to climb them up and pick figs. Womanity reminds me of those memories: my hands sticky (and itchy of course) with fig milk, leaves around me smelling like that milk and this fragrance smells just like that. I think there was some fruitiness as well but the woody fig smell weils it all. After all the hype and discussions and all that, Womanity is quite disappointing, I'm afraid.

13 October, 2010

Belle de Nuit by Fragonard

My best friend gave me a bottle of Belle de Nuit as a present from Eze. At first smell, I thought "This is a scent I know but which..." then an hour later I got it: J'Adore. It smells a lot like J'Adore but I like Belle de Nuit better. In Fragonard's site, headline for this fragrance says :"Belle de Nuit is an original, deep rich harmony of flowers and fruit on a warm velvety bottom note of musk. A precious fragrance, as magical as an Arabian night!" Well, they got it right because Belle de Nuit is a strong floral musk which reminds you of that hot, sand-coloured and sun-washed places and the oriental air of their women. %76 volume edp is -of course- quite durable, it basically lives with you. It feels very feminine; it's not like overly trying to be sexy but knowing yourself and your charm and appreciating it. Confident, warm and rich. In short, beautiful :)

13 October, 2010

Love, Chloé by Chloé

Oh my! Have you ever experienced a dream that had begun very sweet, colorful and enjoyable turn into a nightmare? If not, Love, Chloé will give you that effect easily. When I was at a store trying fragrances a week ago, the salesewoman showed me this and as if I sensed what was coming, I wanted to try it on paper first. And, at first smell, it was a sophisticated (like all Chloé stuff), pretty and a classy flowery fragrance. I loved it that minute and sprayed on my arm. Then, after 5 minutes it began to change; as if escalating some stairs, the fragrance become overpowering step by step. After 20 minutes, I couldn't bear to carry it on my arm because it gave me headache and made me nauseated, it was incredibly cloying. Moreover, it become super-soapy. I had a three other fragrances on my arms and Love overcame all of them. The cardigan I wore that day, smelled Love for three days that I had to wash it in the end. A great disappointment this one is. Pretty bottle, pretty case, pretty name but a cloying fragrance.

11th October, 2010

Lady Million by Paco Rabanne

I agree with Mimi Gardenia's comment below, Lady Million is not a very interesting fragrance. After the adorable and sexy-to-boot 1 Million, I really hoped Lady Million to be of that kind. Oh yes it is beautiful, it's not overpowering, it's warm and sensual in a sweet feminine way. The fruity notes at top never quite disappear, even after an hour and a half, I can smell them and they give the fragrance a nice freshness through the weight of honey. I think just because they've been so popular lately, the word "fruity" sounds like an offense to most people but Lady Million's fruitiness is not run-of-the-mill, not overly sweet either, it has a subtle taste. I liked this one a lot. It's not the most unique fragrance but it's wearable, nice and warm.

11th October, 2010

Ange ou Démon Le Secret by Givenchy

Opening up in a sweet strawberry-ish smell, Le Secret is not a secret but a loveable fruity scent. Unfortunately it's not lasting as its big sister Ange ou Démon, in three hours it's totally lost on me. Though I cannot say it has a very distinct character, I liked Le Secret as a sweet summer fragrance. Nice and clean.

Parisienne by Yves Saint Laurent

Parisienne is the second ficklest, most unstable fragrance I've ever smelled -first being The One. One minute it's sweet and nice, the other minute it's artifical and sharp. I liked the first burst of rosy fruity smell; then after 15 minutes I said "Now I remember why I didn't like this fragrance. It's ugly". Then, it became a creamy, sweet and luxurious scent that I liked a lot -in fact it resembled Ultraviolet, even though there isn't any similar note. In short, if I could find a way to skip first 15 to 45 minutes and directly transfer to the third phase, I'd say Parisienne is a great fragrance, instead I say, "You can do better..".

Brit Sheer by Burberry

Reminded me of Gucci Envy Me. Like it's sister Burberry Brit, Brit Sheer doesn't offer anything special; it, too, is an ordinary cologne-like scent. Nice, yes, but ordinary. Doesn't make a statement. I'd prefer Envy Me if I wanted a floral fragrance.

Jasmin Noir by Bulgari

This perfume has one of the most sophisticated bottles, and for those jasmine-maniacs like myself, you definitely get tempted with Jasmin Noir's name. But, when i sprayed it, it had an awful burst of something i cannot quite identify, like, liquid glue. Weird, isn't it? Then all of a sudden, it settled into a pleasant floral scent and i liked it. Actually it smelled so like Alien by Thierry Mugler, but unlike it Jasmin Noir fades off very quickly. Alien, in comparison, is a much much better and more beautiful scent. So, if you're especially looking for a jasmine scent, this one won't satisfy you.

Liberté by Cacharel

Captured me with its name but disappointed with the scent. I don't remember anything about the first half hour except of an unpleasant orange burst. Then, it dried down to a pepper-like scent with a hint of vanilla and it still smells like that after 5 hours. Well, once again i'm caught up by the name and got disappointed, i believe it could have been better, because "liberté" is an assertive word and hard to fulfil...

CK In 2U Her by Calvin Klein

Like nearly everyone else had said before, it's an ordinary and cliché scent. Actually it will remind you of CK One, but that one was -and is- a classic... In2U Her, can easily go as unisex in it's first half an hour, and then it turns out to a pleasant, light, vanilla scent. But in 3 hours, all of it will disappear, so be ready. At least, it did for me -and i have a fair skin that normally this kind of fragrances suit me well. In short, i didn't feel anything special about it, just another ordinary teeny perfume.

Ange ou Démon by Givenchy

When i first tried this fragrance 2 years ago, i thought it was too heavy, artificial and, like, sticky that i felt like suffocating. It was quite disappointing because i was so intrigued by the fabulous name and the beautiful water-drop bottle thus was expecting an awesome scent, but, alas. Then, two months ago i tried it again and, wow, did i grew up so much in the meantime or what? This thing smelled incredible... Well, actually it does smell incredible after 5 minutes you sprayed it -in the first minutes it hits a bit strong, but when it starts to settle down, it's yummy. Though it may get you thinking if it won't suit the daytime, it's so sweetly rich and enchanting that you will find yourself spraying it all over :) The second you start to think it's too heavy, you get a fresh smell right in the middle, i can't quite name it.. Plus, it just doesn't disappear; the first time i tried it on my wrist, it was still smelling the next evening even though i had taken a bath (and i was out of my mind because at the time i couldn't remember which fragrance was it....)

All in all, Ange ou Démon is a beautiful, very feminine fragrance and captures people in your wind as you pass along. I can say, Givenchy had done "Givenchy" again. Superb.

14 November, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 January, 2010)

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

Another Givenchy fragrance i didn't like at first try but then fell in love with after some time (the other being Ange ou Démon). I only wish it lasted longer, because after a few hours i can only smell it on my hair but nowhere else. But, this one is a beautiful scent, like a bouquet of roses -and this is from someone who doesn't like roses that much. A definitely enchanting fragrance, with a calm and elegant character and goes well in summer and autumn.

14 November, 2009 (Last Edited: 23 January, 2010)

Ultraviolet by Paco Rabanne

Ultraviolet is a scent i used for years and received good comments about it (actually, they just LOVE it!) from nearly everyone. It's such a different scent that feels both something and its opposite in the same time; like, it is a spicy, dressy and womenly fragrance but still there is a freshness that gives the user a high and some kind of manly energy. It is intense enough to draw attraction when entered a room but still light enough to prevent the user from giving an old-fashioned, coquette impression. With vanilla in its base notes, soon the perfume becomes an addiction, of course for those who like vanilla and are dark-skinned. It's a strong fragrance and you really do not need to renew it throughout the day, which is a great ease. Plus, its sphere bottle and violet color is adorable. So, i can strongly recommend it to anyone who wants a difference.

30th July, 2008