Reviews by Stargazer

Stargazer's avatar
    Stargazer
    Wales Wales

Suddenly Madame Glamour by Lidl

Lovely fresh scent, always gets positive comments when I wear it. Lasts all day. How can Lidl do it for the price?

02nd December, 2014

Suddenly Woman 1 by Lidl

This is amazingly like Chanel 5, especially in the dry-down. Scent lasts a good 8 hours on a single spray. Fantastic value from Lidl!

02nd December, 2014

Wild Gorse by Arran Aromatics

Smells nothing at all like gorse, which should be a mix of jasmine and coconut with a light citrus underlay. This is a rather nondescript floral.

19th June, 2014

Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal

I had to get some of this, having read such a range of reviews. It's amazing - layers of changing notes that, as another reviewer has noted, vary each time you spray. I can smell liquorice, tomato leaf, mint, resin, and honey at first, then they all join hands to leave a smokey, smokey incense, cool and spicy at the same time. Love it.

23rd May, 2014

Heure Exquise by Annick Goutal

I tried so hard to like this, but my initial response remains: I found the dry, powdery scent overwhelmingly sickly-sweet. If I were to sum it up in one word, I would say 'cloying'.

My normal preference for scent tends to the citrus/herbal, but I love Songes and Myrrhe Ardente, so the richer florals have their appeal. But not this one.

23rd May, 2014

Escale a Parati by Christian Dior

Beautiful

This is gorgeous - as individual as Escale a Portofino. First impression is of fresh, cold citrus, with a sweet and spicy undertone. It becomes drier, sweeter and warmer, but never cloying. Such an elegant composition - love it!

Pros: Smells great from start to finish.
    Cons:

15th October, 2013

Laughter by Space NK

Fresh and clean, I get a big blast of lime at first, then a softer ginger/rosemary/coriander herbal scent. Gorgeous for a hot summer's day. Perhaps a bit too 'cold' for winter.

11th December, 2012

Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert by Bulgari

Gorgeous - green, rounded, elegant. I love the Extreme version, but this is a quieter, gentler scent.

Aqua Allegoria Mandarine Basilic by Guerlain

This is a lovely citrus - fresh, sweet, with loads of green notes to stop it being cloying. Definitely a feminine scent.

Aqua Allegoria Flora Nerolia by Guerlain

This reminds me a lot of the original version of Narcisse Noir by Caron - smoky orange blossom and an animalic tang. Fascinating.

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Gorgeous! Straight to the top of my 'Favourite Scents' list. There's fresh, bright citrus perfectly balanced with spicy woods. Beguiling and elegant.

19th October, 2010

Infiniment by Chopard

Rather sickly and cloying - similar drydown to Obsession. Was hoping for something a bit more structured but this is just a collection of notes jostling for attention. I tried really hard to like it, but it's just too brash.

25th August, 2010

Omnia by Bulgari

Elegant, complex, a wonderfully crafted fragrance where all the notes swirl together and then ....pause, like a butterfly landing.

23rd July, 2010

Obsession by Calvin Klein

Yuckety yuck - dear lord, what an awful stink! Loud, brash, sickly, crude. Had to wash it off straight away. Trying to think what it reminded me of, then it came to me: the flyspray that Australian Immigration used to spray over passengers on arrival at Perth airport.

23rd July, 2010

Sicily by Dolce & Gabbana

Truly, madly, deeply awful. I love citrus scents, so was looking forward to trying this perfume. Where to start - a blast of cheap-smelling sickly scent, like a detergent. No longevity or subtlety in its makeup. Glad I only got the smallest bottle of EDP. Next time I'll try before I buy.

I can see why there's a lot of it being unloaded on e-bay..........

16th February, 2010

La Perla by La Perla

This is such a pretty perfume - reminds me of Cabochard, but with a lighter, brighter top note. Lasts really well.

03rd September, 2009

Blu Notte by Bulgari

I was looking forward to this, being a fan of The Vert Extreme and Rose Essentielle, but found it rather disappointing. It seems to me like a cross between a nondescript aftershave and one of those spicy 70s scents (think Aqua Manda). Wont be buying another bottle when this one runs out.

29th July, 2009

Happy Heart by Clinique

I love 'Happy', so was keen to try this. Horrible: sickly-sweet and cloying. What a disappointment.

10th July, 2009

Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert Extreme by Bulgari

Fabulous! First impression is of citrus and green tea, then a big blast of honey - reminds me of the Perlier honey range. EDP lasts all day, and stays true: green and sparkling with a warm background. It's just knocked Narcisse Noir off its pedestal as my favourite perfume.

16th May, 2009

Paul Smith Rose by Paul Smith

Light, bright and perfect for wearing on a spring day. I love rose perfumes (Bulgari's Rose Essentielle is another favourite), but this is fresher and 'greener' than the others I have. Lasts well too.

18th February, 2009

Rose Essentielle by Bulgari

Just gorgeous. I got the EDP, having read the notes about its staying power, and it was worth it. True rose scent, maybe some violet cachous initially, then an elegant, elusive essence of tea rose. Besotted.

19th September, 2008

Bellodgia by Caron

I'm busy working my way through the Caron wardrobe of perfumes. Started with Narcisse Noir (gorgeous in the original formulation, quite nice in the new), Nocturnes (still trying to love it), then Bellodgia. Utterly gorgeous - big bunch of carnations - clean and spicy. I'm glad I went for the EDP as I've found the EDTs in the other scents don't last well. What next? Happy to follow any recommendations!

09th September, 2008

Moschino pour Homme by Moschino

I was looking for a scent for my husband, and came across this. Changed my mind and bought it for me. It's a fabulous mix of fresh and spicy opening notes, warming down to moss and amber, clean and sexy at the same time. Whenever I've worn in, people ask what the scent is, and it lasts wonderfully well without being intrusive. Since my initial purchase, I relented and bought some for my husband; it seems to smell quite different on him (less floral).

09th August, 2008

Narcisse Noir by Caron

I had heard a lot about this perfume, so started by getting some of the EDT. Pretty clouds of neroli, with a warmer drydown, but not lasting. Then I realised that there was an earlier incarnation and managed to get some from e-bay. What a difference! The two bear no resemblance. The original Narcisse Noir is dark, disturbing, edgy, elegant - altogether more complex and interesting. I smell pepper, copper, frankincense, lavender and bitter moss, with a later warmth of sandalwood. Utterly gorgeous. It reminds me of Le Dix by Balenciaga, not so much because of the scent itself but in terms of its individual and unexpected composition. Why Caron ever wanted to substitute the new formulation is beyond me. Get the original if you can; it's truly a unique perfume.

05th August, 2008