Reviews by mrclmind

mrclmind's avatar
    mrclmind

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

Very safe masculine chypre. I'd call this a utilitarian scent in that it can be perfect for certain types of business meetings when you don't want your fragrance to call too much attention to itself, yet be somewhat noticed. It's got a nice classic style to it, but falls a little short of being a true classic scent to me. Nice, but not a special scent. If you can get it inexpensively from Marshall's, it's worth buying it just for its usefulness.

Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

Much more refined, and long-lasting version of Opium pour Homme. As has been stated before, the fresh, peppery elements are more subdued than in the EDT in favor of the rich, spicy oriental notes. Very long lasting and extremely powerful. This one is easy to over apply, but in moderation can be one hit of a fragrance! My favorite of the Opium pour Homme concentrations.

L'Anarchiste by Caron

L'Anarchiste is a gorgeous fragrance that teeters on the edge but never quite jumps into the oriental and gourmande category. The neroli/mandarine head note is quite provocative. There is definitely a spiced-fruit accord that radiates through into the heart of this one, but the woody core of the heart keeps the whole composition from becoming overly sweet. The musky/woody and slightly amberic dry-down is a favorite of mine, and it lasts for hours on me. This is a sensual, sophisticated scent that doesn't have much anarchy going on, but it is certainly very good.

Shalimar by Guerlain

A true Guerlain classic. I find it to be extremely unisex, in that it is much less feminine than many of the popular offerings marketed to men in the past decade. Whether or not you wear it, it is an important milestone in perfumery and as such is "required sniffing" for any serious student of modern perfumery, just as Mozart string quartets should be required listening for all modern musicians or music lovers. The notes have been discussed ad nausium; just suffice it to say that this is an icon and is one of the most influential fragrances in history.

Lalique pour Homme by Lalique

I used to wear this a lot. It is obviously well blended and the fragrance materials within it are very good. I just stopped liking it after a while. After a while it was as if I was wearing a big giant vanilla/sandalwood tart on my chest. It has a definite warmth to it and for what it is it is very good, but I just couldn't take it any more and finally gave it away. It definitely has its admirers and I think it serves its purpose, but I can't see myself ever wearing it again.

28th August, 2008

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

A classic woody chypre. Bergamot top, patchouli heart and amber/moss base. It doesn't get more classic than this.
    Along with the bergamot, the top notes have a honeyed rose hue to them with a hint of lemon; in the heart, there is an ever so slight jasmine/orris accord overlaying the patchouli with a reserved vetiver/cedar accord giving it it's woody brace. The drydown does show some leather components but there is a sweet mossiness to it that doesn't take it into a pure leather accord. The whole scent has a discreet musk backdrop that adds an extra bit of understated sensuality.

A fine eau de toilette indeed! I find it to be versatile, and not at all dated.

27th August, 2008

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

If we remember to take into account the low cost of this fragrance, it isn't a bad fig; Trying to compare this one to Philosykos by Diptyque, or Fig and Cassis by Jo Malone is not quite fair; there would be no way to have a fig of the calibre of these two at Marc Jacob's price. For anyone who can't afford to spend big dollars and wants a halfway decent fig scent I'm happy for you that Marc Jacobs came out with this one. I for one am willing to forego instant gratification and save my pennies as I much prefer Fico di Amalfi by Aqua di Parma.

Vetyver / Vétiver by Givenchy

This is one of the Vetiver benchmarks in my opinion. It is somewhat less composed and truer to a pure vetiver note that Guerlain's. I love both Givenchy and Guerlain's take on vetiver. They are very different from each other. This one doesn't have as much of a citrus explosion on top, nor do I detect any tobacco as I do in the Guerlain. There is definitely an herbal/spicy note in the middle, perhaps it's the cilantro note that JaimieB is describing. The sandalwood is barely perceptible. This is not a variation on the theme of vetiver, which Guerlain tends to be IMO (and a brilliant variation at that). To my nose, while I would not go so far as calling Givenchy Vetiver a single note fragrance, it is very clear who is the star of this show, and none of the supporting cast get many lines. The other notes are like a very subtle frame on a striking painting. This is a brilliant take on the Vetiver concept, and it is one of the best on the market.

Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy

This is a classic in the chyphre-fresh category. The interplay of the citrus top and oakmoss base make the chyphre chord strike; but the chord is struck in a very subtle and sophisticated manner. The lavender heart helps to make this guy purr. And the subtle sandalwood base also rounds things out and makes MdG a pure delight to wear. I'm so glad I was able to get a bottle of the new reissued version of this scent. They did not scrimp on the oakmoss. One of the good things about the cosmetic and fragrance industry restricting certain materials, is that you can read on the label and see for yourself if certain things really in there. I'm sure MdG won't last long, since it is getting very hard to find. My suggestion is that if you see it, try it. If you like it, don't wait to buy it.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

A somewhat linear accord with highlights including pepper/vetiver/cedar and discreet florals. Less minimalistic than many other offerings by Ellena. Wonderful sillage, and a truly terrific overall effect. To me, this smells like Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande fleshed out into a fuller perfumistic composition. I can see myself wearing this often and receiving many complements from it. Terre d'Hermès is a real winner, especially for us lovers of pepper and vetiver.

Ungaro II by Ungaro

Very nice animalic oriental. I don't know if I agree that this is a light fragrance. It seems rather complex and rich to me. Citrus, flowers, spice, sandalwood, civet and vanilla combine to make a very sensual experience. The civet is pronounced, but it mellows out after about 20 to 30 minutes. Longevity and sillage are medium on my skin. I own Ungaro I, II and III, I wear them all a lot.

25th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 02nd March, 2010)

Oscar for Men by Oscar de la Renta

Bright citrus pepper opening. Elemi is predominant, so if you don't care for this note you will be put off by Oscar for Men. The top notes last for quite a while and meld fairly seamlessly to the green floral heart. The base is a typical woody/incense accord. Overall this fragrance is well done, it's just not anything original. It's in very moderate rotation in my collection. Even though the sillage is fairly strong, Oscar for Men is perfect for days I want a fresh scent that doesn't stand out to much. Well done, but rather boring. Worth picking up if you find it in a bargain bin like I did ($12.00 for 100 ml.).

Nino Cerruti by Cerruti

This is a clean, green, soapy machine; and I like it a lot. The floral heart and woody/incense base help this one stay centered and not get lost in a sea of lather and suds. It's got a bit of sweetness and backbone that is really missing in a lot of these clean scents. The oriental notes in the bottom help pull it away from the soapy top, and the green fresh notes help keep it clean and not overtly incense. The floral notes are really the star of this show; we still don't find a plethora of jasmine in masculine perfumery and this note is handled with great discretion in Cerruti.

Loewe para Hombre by Loewe

This is definitely one nice smell when it first hits the skin. I love the way the petitgrain is utilized. This is a bracing, but sophisticated and smoothly fresh EDC type of opening. The mid notes are slightly woody, still rather fresh with a bit of floral and herbal undertones. Very masculine, but as foetidus notes, very fresh. This is a somewhat uplifting fragrance for me. I didn't know what to expect when people told me it was very Mediterranean; It's very lovely, fresh and sophisticated. The base has that lovely smell of freshly crushed tonka beans; one of my very favorite smells! Seems like a very good "daytime" scent, although I can't see how you could ever be out of place wearing it.

24th August, 2008

Ungaro III by Ungaro

Ungaro III is definitely more upbeat than Ungaro II. Ungaro III has a fruity accord going on in the top that helps to balance out the darkness of the rest of the perfume. It ends up smelling rather sophisticated and sexy. Overall Ungaro III is a very complex scent that balances fruits, citrus, spices and lavender in the opening, the heart is a seamlessly blended accord of woods and flowers overlapping the musky resinous mossy and amberic base. But don't get the impression that it is an overly sweet jaunt. Ungaro III smells like a chyphre type of scent to me. It's very well done. Not as sensual as Ungaro II, It's less animalic and thus perhaps with more wide-spread appeal than its predecessor.

23rd August, 2008 (Last Edited: 05th March, 2011)

Opium pour Homme Eau d'Orient by Yves Saint Laurent

This review is for Opium pour Homme Eau d'Orient Poésie de Chine (2008). It is a lovely, more transparent rethinking of Opium pour Homme. I haven't smelled the other Eau d'Orient versions so I have no basis for comparison. The first thing that came to mind when I sprayed this on is "Opium Eau de Cologne." The grapefruit on the top lightens the whole Opium effect without changing the composition into an entirely new fragrance altogether. A great anise/nutmeg accord sits in the heart of this one with a subtle dose of ginger and a grinding of lightly honeyed pepper. The dry down is lighter than original Opium consisting of a lovely sandalwood/amber and significantly less vanilla. With all of this lightening up of the fragrance one might think that it strays far from the original; however, there is never any doubt this is Opium. I think it's a great summer scent for Opium lovers who wouldn't dare touch the regular in the hotter months. I'm an Opium lover anyway (especially the EDP). Opium may not be the most sophisticated scent in my wardrobe, but it's a lot of fun to wear and I'm glad I have several concentrations to choose from.

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

This was one of the few blind buys I've ever made. Most of the fragrances in my wardrobe I enjoy, or I wouldn't have bought them. The only reason I bought a mini of this was based on Luca Turin's review. I have tried and tried to like it. I thought it might grow on me, but every time I smell it I just think "Bleah." To me, Beyond Paradise for Men is a headache inducing melange of very synthetic smelling abstract notes that create an extremely unpleasant dissonance. I don't like how it smells on a blotter, I don't like it out of the bottle, and I don't like it on my skin. I find it thoroughly unpleasant. There are several fragrances that I don't enjoy yet I can still appreciate their composition; Yet I don't smell the artistry that others have described in this one at all. This is the worst fragrance I own.

Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

Talk about a trip down memory lane! This one, along with Old Spice, brings back memories of my childhood. I love the smell, it's a true classic. It's a little bit barber shop fougere, a little bit spicy oriental, and a little bit tobacco chyphre. There is no other scent like it. This isn't something I wear very often, but there is something very comforting about knowing that it's there. Tabac is extremely long lasting. A little dab 'll do ya.

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

I love the fruity note combined with rosewood in the opening. The spicy rose heart note is tempered by the top notes and is sensual, but not allowed to lose its dignity. The creamy woods in the base are sweet, musky, slightly amberic and complex. I'm very partial to the scents from the House of Chanel, and this is one of their best. Interestingly enough, I have always enjoyed this scent and still have never tried the platinum version.

Insensé by Givenchy

A floral with woody undertones. I mostly smell orris root. It's quite a nice smell, but only if I'm not suffering hayfever at the time, otherwise this one aggravates my allergies. Very nice though.

22nd August, 2008

Duc de Vervins by Houbigant

This is an excellent dry fougere. I bought the extreme version, which I think is smoother than the original. I'm not a huge fan of Drakar Noir, and although I can smell some similarities, I actually like this one. It's dry, green and a bit woody with a tasteful hint of some leather in the base. D.V. is a well made sophisticated scent which eschews all the sweet and balsamic notes that I'm often attracted to, so it's a nice addition to my wardrobe.

22nd August, 2008 (Last Edited: 26th February, 2010)

Coriolan by Guerlain

Coriolan is a chyphre of great distinction. I love the entire composition. This is one fragrance where I don't even want to try to pick out the separate notes. Sillage isn't an issue for me with this one. I leave lovely scent trails wherever I go! I don't know if unisex or androgynous is the appropriate term for this scent, but it's definitely not a "macho" powerhouse. I love wearing it. It was nice at first and then it really grew on me. I had heard from several people that Coriolan was not one of Guerlain's best masculines, but I respectfully disagree. Just because a product is a commercial flop doesn't mean a thing to me. It is up there with the greats as far as I'm concerned. The bottle is pretty nifty too!

22nd August, 2008

Habanita by Molinard

Updated review:

I have given Habanita several more wearings since my original review and interestingly don't find it to be either as floral, powdery or as feminine as I originally did. What I get mostly now is a vanilla/vetiver accord that goes on somewhat sweet, but dries down to a much more masculine tobacco base than I experienced in my earlier wearings. This is just another lesson to put a fragrance on the back-burner and give it another chance later. It may grow on you!

21st August, 2008 (Last Edited: 22nd December, 2009)

Équipage by Hermès

quipage is a lovely masculine floral. The scent opens with a sparkle. A muguet accord in a top note is not extremely common in masculine perfumery, but in Guy Robert's hands it is handled with great discernment. The carnation and pine poke through and lend a more masculine feel to the whole gentle dance, while the jasmine note stays coyly in the background giving support and ambiance. I also smell a distinct clove zing which is probably from eugenol being used in the carnation accord. The Vetiver draws the floral notes down into the base of the fragrance until all that is left is a soft woody leather effect. It's a very tender fragrance. I was too young to wear Équipage when it was introduced but I suspect that floral chyphre scents where probably not very common among men in 1970. I would venture to assume this was somewhat groundbreaking in its day.

20th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 06th March, 2011)

YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

YSL pour Homme is a perfect daytime scent. The Citrus is sharp and clean, the herbal spice is moderate and the vetiver bottom allows for above average dry down. To me it is a clear-cut scent, and I don't get any of the references to BO, or dated '70s cologne that others seem to get. It's a timeless professional smelling scent executed masterfully.

20th August, 2008

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

I like it, but I know Tom Ford is capable of scents that are much more interesting. The quality is there, the sillage and longevity are all excellent, but it becomes a little, "so what" to me after a while. I'm glad I own it, but I rarely wear it, since there are so many more interesting fragrances which I find much more pleasing in my wardrobe. My purchase of this one is an example of one of the rare times I allowed myself to purchase a fragrance based on sales hype rather than my nose. Not a stinker by any sense of the imagination, but it smells pretty mediocre to me. Who knows? It may grow on me like so many others have. I haven't given up on it yet.

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

I was at Heathrow airport in the new terminal 5 a while back. We had some insane layover, so we decided to do what any normal American would do, we went shopping. I can't remember the store we found the Tom Ford Private Collection in, but I had never actually smelled any of them, so I was freaking out with excitement. My S.O. knows I'm into scents but didn't understand the true depth of my condition until that moment. I remember being mesmerized only by one in the collection at the time, and it was Noir de Noir. The dollar being weak, I was talked into waiting to make a purchase until I got back in the States. I couldn't stop thinking about that gorgeous rose! I don't usually go gaga over rose scents, but this one had me transfixed. I had no idea where to find it. As luck would have it my local Nordstrom is the only one in the chain that carries the line and I was able to buy a bottle.

Noir de Noir is deep and sensual to me. It has that saffron/rose thing going on throughout the whole development. The oud is always there lurking in the background making its presence known. I'm not sure I would know how to pick out the black truffle note. I've eaten a truffle before, but I have never smelled truffle absolute. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the mysterious depth of character to this perfume which is very anchored to a mossy bottom note. The whole experience lasts for a very long time before it finally dries down to a vanilla accord that seems to be the base in many of the Tom Ford Private Collection. I'm still on the fence about several of the Ford line, but this is a real winner in my book. I'm only glad I didn't have to fly back across the Atlantic to find it again!

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

My perception of Timbucktu is a dry, peppery/floral accord on a couch of masculine olibanum and anchored to a base of myrrh and vetiver. I love it. This scent has incenses but it's dry and wearable, not churchy. This is a thoroughly composed perfume with no pretense whatsoever. I have worn it in many types of occasions: business, casual and formal, and it always feels right in place!

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I'm not often in the mood for a barbershop fix, but some situations call for it more than others. This is one of the better of this category of fragrances available. Rive Gauch PH ties with Azzaro in my book for "barber shop" fougere scents, the dry down is excellent!

Nicolaï pour Homme by Nicolaï

Nicolai Pour Homme is a scent that is very wearable for me. I love the opening. I don't object to mint as much as a lot of reviewers here do, but even so the mint is dealt with very delicately in this scent. This scent is green, but not too green, woody but not too woody. It's a fougère but not completely. It's masculine but not too masculine. I was addicted to it when I first bought it. I still reach for it frequently. People aren't used to a fragrance like this as it is so unique, so I get many compliments when I wear it. It's a nice one this.