Reviews by mrclmind

mrclmind's avatar
    mrclmind

Karma by Gorilla Perfume [Lush]

Orange, patchouli and vanilla. Another great hippy creation from Lush. I adore Lush's bath and body products, but never really have liked the EDT scents they have produced. Karma smells divine in the body cream but it gets too sweet and cloying in EDT formulation. I give the cream a four star rating: it is all about the orange and patchouli and less about the cotton candy type of vanilla; but the EDT gets a two star rating from me for being much too candy sweet.

Jicky by Guerlain

I love Jicky. This is were I come to get my Civet fix; the civet is there but never makes my nose curl. Jicky is fresh, refined and nasty all at the same time. This one must never be discontinued, or we might actually have a riot!

Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

When I first smelled Jazz I thought, "Nice, but big deal." I sprayed myself and went on with my day. Throughout the day I kept smelling the most lovely fresh/spicy/woody/sweet accord wafting in and out and I knew this was a winner! This is right now my favorite YSL fragrance. It is so well balanced between the freshness of the top and the spiciness and woody leather of the heart and dry down. Sublime!

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

There are several fragrance masterpieces which I can appreciate, but don't enjoy wearing (Kouros being one of them). Yet Habit Rouge is masterpiece which is highly wearable in all it's phases of development. This is one of my all-time favorite scents. I'd want it packed in my bags if I were on the proverbial desert island. This should be required sniffing for every young man to teach him what a balanced fragrance smells like. From its citrus blast opening through its floral woody heart all the way down to the sensual vanilla, resinous and slightly animalic base, Habit Rouge is seamless. It is a testament to divine artistry in perfume, and best of all, it smells divine! And yes, I do smell lavender in the opening and heart notes of this composition. It's very discrete, but definitely in there, I don't care what any of the pyramids say.

18 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2010)

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

It's a classic alright. I loved smelling it on others when I was a kid, but it's not something I reach for very often as an adult. It's well constructed and quite green with a great big violet leaf blow in the face. Once it settles down into a bit of wood, it still keeps a lot of the green alive and turns rather linear. I like it, but I don't really want to smell like it. I appreciate it and would hate to see it discontinued after all these years.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Fresh and sophisticated. Not terribly long lasting. This is a classic that I have loved for years. My perfect day time scent. I love the play of citrus and herbs. IMO this is the best men's citrus scent ever made.

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

This is in my top 5 favorite EDC creations. My other favorites being Cologne Sologne, Guerlain EDC, Eau Savage and Eau Provence. It is the epitome of class and freshness. I can't help being in a good mood when I wear it. I just need to make sure I have a bottle handy when I do wear it since the longevity is very typical of an EDC, thus reapplication is necessary if I want it to last. There are so many EDC's to choose from but this is one of the best, and worth every penny.

The Concentrée is actually a very good adaptation of this scent into a chypre concept.

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

I would describe this one as cheap and cheerful. Nothing exceptional, but very wearable. I have gotten compliments on it when wearing it in public. It is sweet and fruity, but it never seems to go over the edge to being unbearable sweet or gourmand on my skin. I'd probably not buy it again, but it seems to be an inoffensive, wearable and pretty versatile little number.

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

Unlike Luca Turin, I find this to be a five star fragrance. I think the reason some people are turned off by this scent is that they are looking for a longer lasting version of the original PM. I do feel that this has much in common with the original in its opening blast of citrus, but it very quickly turns to a rich and deep oriental. For people looking for the Chypre/after-shave smelling original I can understand their disappointment. Perhaps Chanel would have been smarter by just renaming this juice all together to avoid the confusion.

PHC is in my top 10 men's orientals right next to Nicolai's New York. The blend is perfect. It's extremely long lasting and the sillage is perfect: not too far and not too close to the skin. It works best in the evenings, but I have been known to walk through a thin mist in the morning before work and let everyone get a vague sniff of something extraordinary!

18 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 22 December, 2009)

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

This is a very classic chypre type of masculine scent, fresh opening and slightly sweet dry down. It has the longevity of a typical EDC, so it is perfect for day wear and for when I want something light and lovely. It's a shame that it has been discontinued in the States. I'd better get some in Europe before it gets pulled all together. People may find it blasphemous, but I actually prefer the smell of the Concentree over this one, although to be honest comparing the two is comparing apples to oranges.

18 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 22 December, 2009)

Carven Homme by Carven

I really love wearing Carven Homme. It has a lovely spicy lavender opening with a burst of rosewood. The sweetness of the vanilla is apparent almost immediately to me but it is a very controlled, never cloying sweetness which houses the geranium and also the wood, which to my nose is the central theme to the scent. The pyramid lists cedar as the wood component, but I detect some vetiver as well. The woods last well through the dry down resting on a lovely vanilla, coumarin, patchouli and musk cushion. This fragrance is proof positive that expensive and high-quality are not necessarily synonymous.

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

I actually agree with Luca Turin on this one. Azzaro PH is a definite classic. It may seem like a typical fougère at first but it actually smells more herbaceous to me then many of its siblings. It has a constant intriguing interplay of fresh, herbal, spice and animal that helps it to stand on its own in the midst of a very crowded fragrance family. It starts out with a roar but soon dries in to a full blown purr on my skin. I love it, and I'm happy to say it loves me back!

Antaeus by Chanel

I didn't think much of Antaeus years ago. I also never really liked it out of the bottle. Once I tried it on my skin however, it really warmed up and revealed its true elegance and majesty to me. It is a sexy, sophisticated dry chypre scent which reveals a surprising warmth on my skin. It dries down into a fascinating beeswax base. Excellent when dressed up and out to the theater or fundraiser. I have to control myself to avoid wearing it during the day at work, since it really is much too formal for that; but I love it so that sometimes I just don't care and I wear it whenever I want!

Haute Provence by Nicolaï

One of my all time favorite EDC concoctions. I disagree with the feminine classification here on Basenotes. When I bought it from PD Nicolai she was describing it as unisex, and I would agree. This is a masterful brew. If you like lavender, this is one of the finest treatments of lavender you will ever smell. It is not very long lasting, but it is truly divine.

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

This is an androgynous scent to me. It smells much drier and more masculine than Tabac Blonde (with which it is often compared). They are both leather scents but the similarity stops there. It starts out with a lovely citrus. Then a smokey floral peeks through for about an hour; and the dry down which seems to go on for quite a long time is satisfyingly animalic (leather and civet is what I get). I have not smelled the original, but this one does seem to have a castoreum element in it (synthetic I'm sure), although it is extremely subdued and well blended. It's expensive, but worth every penny! It's so good, that I can't understand why it hasn't been discontinued.