Reviews by gambit

gambit's avatar
    gambit

Vetiver by Guerlain

Happy 50th anniversary Vetiver!

(yes I know it's been reformulated but let's not get too technical, shall we?)

A signature scent, especially in warmer weather. It lasts long on me, the drydown is excellent. Mid-afternoon and I'm still sniffing my inner elbow. Wonderful stuff.

I will forever be indebted to BN for introducing me to this frag.

Two notes: I am over 40 and not into the current 'marine' scents. I can't even seem to carry off GIT.

Also, I saw this described as 'bitter and nasty' in a neg review; which can also be said of me. Maybe that's why I love it.

22 August, 2011

Royall Muske by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Sweet but not cloyingly so. My favorite Royall scent. I had worn Jovan Musk as a high school lad and didn't believe I would ever don one again, but this has worked its way high into my rotation.

At a local Brooks Brothers outlet, during their annual spring sale this can be had cheaply.

Yes, it smells 'barbershop'. You say that like it's a bad thing.

14 June, 2010

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

The thing I like most about this frag is its schizo persona.

It's masculine, it's feminine.

It's sweet, it's smoky.

"I liked it, then I hated it, now I love it."

Longevity is good, longevity is terrible.

Even one of the reviews here thrashes it, but the rating is Thumbs Up.

That's why I had to try it.

Bought it, wear it, love it.

For now.

12 September, 2008

Eau de Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

I bought this at Marshall's when I was such a noob I saw 'Grey Flannel' on the bottle and thought that's what I was getting, not even aware this frag existed.

Picking this up blind and ignorant worked out well for me. I like woods, but this is light enough to be a great daytime summer wear for me. I get very good longevity from it, four sprays to the chest.

'Metallic', that's what that note is, eh? In my opinion it works as it sets this apart from the standard 'light-citrus' stuff that doesn't last on me anyway.

Oh, yeah. My wife likes it, and I like it. Thumbs up.

06 September, 2008

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Take this review for what it is: The first review from someone new to Basenotes and new to the fragrance world in general.

I've been studying the site and trying samples, trying to figure out what notes work for me, trying to be smart, as I want to smell good but have young kids to rear and not too much cash to flush on blind purchases.

Try some of this, some of that, I'm not sure whether this one is working for me or not, when something hits me I'll know.

Terre d'Hermes. One application and I knew. This one works on me.

I'm not going to embarrass myself going into notes or descriptions and I wouldn't presume to aspire to the level of the sophisticated noses here.

Bought it, wear it, love it.

The journey continues....