Reviews by Oscar39

Oscar39's avatar
    Oscar39
    Spain Spain

Original Vetiver by Creed

Sheer class with a hefty price tag. One of the best vetivers I have ever smelt and definitely much better than most of the competition. Creed's achievement should be praised, given the many disappointments one often encounters in the 'vetiver' range. Will stay a classic for many years and outlive this humble reviewer.

11th August, 2008

Vetiver Eau Glacée by Guerlain

A truly accomplished and quintessentially French vetiver that does not disappoint. I do not consider this fragrance wearable on an everyday basis, but it can certainly spice up a party or a night at the theatre. I was told that this is a favourite of king Juan Carlos of Spain and it is not difficult to see why. A winner.

11th August, 2008

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

There is something truly reassuring about 4711. Splash it all over your face and neck and you feel an instant boost of sheer goodness. Yes, it goes quickly. But it is a small price to pay for enjoying the original eau de cologne, as far as I am concerned. I hope 4711 remains in production for a long long time.

By the way, a Thai friend of mine told me that 4711 is used as a deodorizer in the public buses in his country!

10th August, 2008

Mark Birley for Men by Mark Birley

This is one of the very few fragrances that both my brother and I like (we have radically different tastes, I should point out). Most of the comments made here are entirely accurate: yes, it is not long-lasting and yes it is very citrusy. And yet, for all its shortcomings, Mark Birley is somewhat of an achievement. Understated, sophisticated and distinct, its qualities can be appreciated by men from different backgrounds and used to more or less conventional fragrances. Mark Birley just does the job, and for that it gets my thumbs up.

09 August, 2008

Special No. 127 by Floris

This fragrance may have worked at the turn of the XXth century but it is so cloying and outdated as to be simply unwearable (at least by a man) today on an everyday basis. Having said that, it is of course interesting from a historical point of view since it allows us to see how fragrances and consumer tastes have evolved in the past 100 years. No 127 was worn by the great Noël Coward and Argentina's Eva Peron amongst others.

A thing of the past.

08 August, 2008

Vetiver Hombre by Adolfo Dominguez

What a discovery. Without doubt one of the best Vetyvers I have ever smelt, and without the price tag of some of its peers. It is distinctive, masculine, classy and can be worn all throughout the year. A winning proposition.

No. 89 by Floris

To my taste this is a slightly dated scent, one that does not appeal to my taste. Not too strong but with an odd lingering note. Definitely wearable but I would agree with some of the other comments in the sense that it is more likely to suit an older clientele. I heard that Floris was going to discontinue it before long.

JF by Floris

Floris JF has been my Floris fragrance of choice for quite some time. There is something profoundly dignified about JF that is difficult to put into words. Time and again I have been complimented by males and females alike. I have yet to find someone who dislikes the unique JF signature. Sheer class.

1916 by Myrurgia

'1916' evokes very dear childhood memories to me, since it was the 'eau de cologne' of choice for my beloved grandmother. It is most definitely a unisex fragrance, and several (young) friends of mine use it in Madrid. It is fresh, citric and not cloying. Most definitely thumbs up from Oscar.