Reviews by Buddy97

Antaeus by Chanel

My initial experience of Antaeus was not really what I expected. This was not an uber-masculine leather-fest, but rather my initial impressions were of a very beautiful beeswax accord, underpinned by light smoky woodsy leather. If anything, the best description I could afford it was that given by Luca Turin to Caron's Third Man, where he felt the scent was nearly too beautiful to be manly.
One thing for certain though was that it boasted exceptional longevity and sillage, lasting 12hours + on every wearing. As time progressed, I found this to be very warmly reassuring; formal, yes but in a very comforting way like a good cashmere jumper. In fact, that's how I came to view Antaeus, as a fragrance cashmere - luxurious, formal, comforting, enticingly melancholic, beautiful and strangely addictive. I found myself enjoying it more with each wearing, getting abetter appreciation of the beeswax, smoky leather, clary sage, frankincense, etc., yet reserving those wearings for special occasions, not necessarily social but times when I wanted to smell great for myself.
As my bottle ran lower, I used it less frequently but found myself spraying it when I visited fragrance counters, rather than trying new scents. My bottle has just run out and I have re-ordered a 100ml bottle today (one difficulty with Chanel scents is trying to buy for less than retail price!).
Today, I love Antaeus, I regard it as an absolute masterpiece, stunningly original, enticingly beautiful and so fantastically comforting. I wear it when I want a lift. I remain less than convinced of its total masculinity (whilst it may be masculine in a boardroom sense, I could not see the average lumberjack wearing this!), but don't see that as an issue to be honest. This is as compelling and unique a scent as I have experienced, and I cannot understand why it has not been more commercially successful.
07th February, 2012

Lomani by Lomani

Bought this after reading about it in the Powerhouse Group. Opened with no great expcetations and wow! Definite similarities to Drakkar Noir, but much more refined and cultured than the old version of that.

Sweet citric lavender opening, in a barbershop-type way, leading to a true old-school oakmoss base. The opening is quite loud, but it quickly settles to that superb base, which lasts, albeit on a more restrained level. Perhaps dated somewhat and quite old-school, but all the better for that. Superbly blended, excellent value (much better than those retailing for many multiples of price), a new personal favourite of mine. Thumbs-up all the way.
20th September, 2011 (last edited: 20th March, 2015)

Everlast Original 1910 by Everlast

This is good, really good, far superior to scents many times its price. I tried it based on reviews herein, with a large dollop of scepticism, but the positive reviews are fully justified.

To me it's quite an old school type scent, very citric opening, a little sweet, evolving to a musky leathery base. Very well blended, seamlessly moving from top to base, each stage enjoyable.

The old saying "Never judge a book by its cover" never ringing truer, as the exterior belies the quality within. I'm now on my second bottle, having spent less sthan €20 on both. Perhap not the most original, but in terms of VFM, this leads the way and I'll always have a bottle in my wardrobe.
28th May, 2011 (last edited: 20th September, 2012)

Vetiver Hombre by Adolfo Dominguez

My first vetiver, purchased on holidays in Spain some years ago, it set the bar very high for those following and I have yet to find anything superior. I have since purchased Guerlain Vetiver and truly enjoy it, but find that is less of a true Vetiver than this, which is Vetiver as it was meant to be, raw and natural.

Green, earthy and herbal, with longlasting soapy vetiver throughout, this always brings a smile to my face and raises my spirits. Sillage is lowish but it has good longevity, albeit a skin level. The epitome of Meditteranean summerness, an absolute masterpiece. I love it to bits; it can be difficult enough to find but I have just received another bottle from my dear wife on her return from the Canaries. Cannot reccomend this highly enough.
28th May, 2011

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

Acquired this recently at knockoff price. I like it, it's a clean, soft, smoky, woody incense, similar to Gucci Envy and Carven Homme. Perhpas nothing spectacular or overly memorable, but a damn fine scent in its own right, with decent sillage and longevity.
26th October, 2010 (last edited: 12th June, 2011)

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

As the powerhouse guru, Shamu1, has indicated, this is a surprsing one, more attuned with the 70s and 80s.

Sweet Boozy fruity tobacco, with a backdrop of suede and incense, it ranks as one of the most raw and powerful frags of recent times, a brave move to take in the acquatic era of 2001. In ways, it is reminiscent of a much fruitier and sweeter Quorum, indeed, at times, that sweetness can be overpowering for me - I could not see how this could be worn in hot weather as it is quite cloying.

That said, I like Michael, it's far more intriguing than other modern scents, sillage and longevity are excellent. It also has to my mind, a superb, somehow reassuring bottle-strong, bold and heavy like a crystal whiskey tumbler.
26th October, 2010

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

I purchased this scent with expectations of a pine-loaded fragrance, but where is the pine?? I get very green, herbal and conifer-loaded notes from start to finish, but cannot detect any pine. It nonetheless is a very fine fragrance, fresh, foresty, with excellents longevity, in terms of value for money, ranking highly. I just wish there was stronger pine!!!
27th June, 2010

Yatagan by Caron

I had never heard of Yatagan before Basenotes. The polarising views were intriguing to say the least, much like that one of favourite frags, Kouros. I purchased it blind, a risky proposition, and not one I would recommend.

My initial reaction was "celery and more celery, what the hell have I purchased". After a few wears though, this seemed less prominent and ultiamtely I now rank Yatagan as one of my top fragrances. The wormwood, pine, patchouli, leather and castoreum all come together to shape a uniquely masculine scent quite unlike any other I have encountered, smelling to my mind like an eastern market. It is outrageously dry and spicy, yet alluring and comfortingly more earthily familiar every time I wear it. I wore it today and found it compellingly soothing. A remarkable scent I cannot praise enough, thank you BN for bringing it to my nose.
25th February, 2010

Stetson Sierra by Stetson

Picked up a 30ml bottle of this for €4 as part of online order. Super scent, very reminiscent of original Polo Green. Strong green fragrance with notes of bergamot, pine, leather, jasmine, carnation, oakmoss and cedar. Very masculine, very rugged, very outdoors type of scent. Sillage perhaps not as strong as Polo, which many would say is a good thing, it stays close to the skin but lasts for many hours for a cologne.
A very capable inexpensive incarnation of the original Polo at about 10% of price. Perhaps the best value I have encountered.
22nd October, 2009

YSL pour Homme Haute Concentration by Yves Saint Laurent

Sweaty lemons!! As accurate as a description as can be given. But that should not be viewed in a negative, I truly love and admire this classy scent.

VERY powerful, strong citrus opening with a very herbaceous undertone. This loud phase lasts a long time before taming down to a gentler but lasting woodsy lemony fragrance. I think it is the variety of herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage) and woods that give it that animalic aspect to which others have referred - these are present but in a very non-threatening manner. Definitely a relic from the old school, not a scent that would be produced today, it is gentlemanly, distinguished and charming, with the clean lemon contrasting with those semi-dirty herby notes, giving a fragrance that is the equivalent of a well groomed man in a dress suit going commando !!!!!!!!
21st October, 2009

Montana Parfum d'Homme (original) by Montana

It's a while since I've used Havana (and await its hopefully non reformulated re-release), but this is my recollection of how it smelled. Super, complex ultra masculine - fresh, spicy, woody, frutity and boozy, I love it! Excellent longevity and sillage-after two sprays, I get comments. In terms of Value for Money, this is as good as it gets IMHO.
29th August, 2009

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This brings me back - one sniff and I was transported to the eighties. Bold, brash fragarances, not afraid to get be loud, so different to those of today.

But apart from evoking memories, the scent is still superb. Distinctive, strong, very masculine. The initial notes are harsh but not unpleasant, I can see where the urinal cake comparison comes from, but that doesn't do Kouros justice. After ten minutes, the smell settles to an intoxicating mix of sweet (but not nauseating) honey, musk, oakmoss, amber with hints of leather and civet. Fantastic combination, totally distinctive, a scent that encompassess you rather than is worn, it is so the antithetis of modern fragrances. A veritable masterpiece that changes throughout the day yielding differing wafts as you go from morning to evening.

Kouros the king of the eighties reigns strong today and I remain its loyal subject.
02nd June, 2009 (last edited: 21st October, 2009)

Quorum by Antonio Puig

Quorum, a blast from the past, when all things seemed simpler. My memories are of a wild, untamed but nonetheless respected powerhouse fragrance which I wore on occasion, but respected more than wore.

Fast forward 20 odd years and my (hopefully more educated) nose finds it somehwat different to my memories - strong, yes; powerful, yes; respect, I'm no longer sure. It smells now somewaht confuse - a myriad of different notes competing to come to the fore, none winning, none losing.

At times I get great wafts of fresh pine and green herbs and spices, at other stages it seems like a ridiculously musty, stale, even dead forest, where no wind has blown for quite some time. It is not as I recall it having been in the eighties, I'm not sure if it has been reformulated or my own taste has changed. Either way, its name and curious bottle will always elicit positive memories if not always smells.
11th May, 2009

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

Pucrhased a small bottle (7.5ml) based on reviews here and had high expectations based on those reviews as I really admire and enjoy 80s masculine scents.

However, first spray I was utterly repulsed - it actually made me nauseous. Ridiculously sweet, powdery cheap and feminine - smells like a grannie's handbag!
21st March, 2009 (last edited: 03rd May, 2009)