Reviews by Shaheen

Lolita Lempicka Eau au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

L'Eau is unmistakingly a flanker to LL Au Masculin. I was expecting L'Eau to be an entirely different scent based on some of the reviews, but the first thing I picked up after spraying this was the same black licorice/anise note in Au Masculin. It's much lighter than the original, but it's there, and prominently so. The vanilla and the sweetness are gone, and instead you get a light lemon verbena, a dab of citrus, and a tad bit of woods over a black licorice/anise base.

This is an excellent springtime fragrance. If you enjoy Au Masculin and want to be able to wear it in warmer weather, this fits the bill perfectly. A very safe blind buy in that regard.

I highly recommend that anyone who is interested in this grab a bottle before they are all gone. Lolita Lempicka lost their license/distributor and is no longer producing their men's fragrance line. Once these are gone, they may be gone forever.
03rd May, 2018

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin Eau de Parfum Intense by Lolita Lempicka

This smells like the original Au Masculin, but stripped of its sweetness and gourmand quality. The top notes of both fragrances smell very similar, but where Au Masculin slowly transitions into a sweet, powdery, vanillic fragrance, Intense seems to stay the same from top to bottom. It's almost pure black licorice/anise (not too strong, not too light), with a bit of myrrh, iris, and wood. The iris has no lipstick quality to it, and the wood, supposedly oud, doesn't really resemble oud at all. These notes do smell nice, however.

Overall, this is a very nice fragrance by Annick Menardo. If you didn't mind the licorice/anise in Au Masculin but found the vanilla, tonka, and praline to be too sweet and cloying, give this one a try. I think it fits the bill for fall and winter perfectly.

03rd May, 2018

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

Ok, so I appreciate the uniqueness of this fragrance. I have sampled hundreds of colognes and haven't smelled anything that even resembles Kenzo Homme. Many people mentioned a rubber note, and I can sort of detect something like that. I also detect the plastic or "glue" note that others complained about.

I don't really find this fragrance to be aquatic or salty/oceanic at all. To me, it smells like some oddball avant-garde women's perfume. I agree with the person who said that this could pass as a perfume that you would smell on an old woman. But not in a good way.

Here's what comes to my mind when I smell this: A tanker truck is hauling a chemical that you have never heard of and can't even begin to pronounce. The tanker jack-knifes on the interstate and crashes, spilling its contents all over the road. You try to hold your breath, but you inevitably take in a huge whiff of the chemical... of Kenzo Homme.
30th September, 2014 (last edited: 29th September, 2014)

L'Homme Sport by Yves Saint Laurent

One part YSL L'Homme mixed with one part lemon pledge. I couldn't wait to wash this off.
26th August, 2014

Gucci pour Homme II by Gucci

A wonderful aromatic tea-based fragrance. I love wearing this in Autumn.
07th July, 2014 (last edited: 26th July, 2014)

Bleu de Chanel Eau de Toilette by Chanel

Bleu is a nice, subtle fragrance that smells mostly of grapefruit and vetiver to my nose. I really enjoy this one.

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

Coffee, vanilla, cinnamon, and... pancake syrup? Sure, why not! New Haarlem reminds me of the holidays. It's an amazing and potent gourmand. One or two sprays of this stuff and I'm good to go for the entire day. Has a vibe that almost sparkles.

A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather by Thierry Mugler

Of the four flankers, Pure Leather smells the closest to the original A*Men. A leather/suede note is added to the heart, (think new leather jacket) and the vanilla is amplified in the base. Doesn't have the same gourmand vibe as A*Men, Pure Coffee, or Pure Malt.

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

Creamy lemon and grapefruit in the top with cardamom and some musk in the base. I really like this one.

Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée by Guerlain

Similar to L'Eau, but L'Eau Boisee contains a strong citric vetiver note and a woody base. If you enjoy L'Eau and you like vetiver, then you should definitely sample L'Eau Boisee.

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Guerlain Homme opens with a very natural mojito accord (consisting of mint, lime, white rum, and sugarcane) that quite literally smells like the drink itself. After awhile it transitions into a woody, citric, and slightly powdery vetiver. This is a great spring fragrance that reminds me of being on vacation.

Strangely enough, Guerlain Homme's three flankers are equally amazing.

Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel

Eau Extreme is a powdery, minty, vanillic fragrance reminiscent of JPG Le Male or perhaps Prada Amber. It's not a bad fragrance by any means, but I don't like it. It smells nothing like Homme Sport on my skin, nor is it "sporty." It's closer to the original Allure Homme in composition.

I would NOT recommend that Eau Exreme be worn in hot weather. It's just too powdery and vanillic for that type of setting, IMO.

Try it if you're a fan of Allure Homme or Allure Homme Sport, but I'll pass on this one.
25th October, 2012

Guerlain Homme Intense by Guerlain

Remove the original Homme's sugarcane note and powdery texture, and weaken the mojito accord. Now add wood and rhubarb to the base and a dash of L'instant, and you now have Homme Intense.

Darker, boozier, and woodier than the original. I like them both equally. I wear Homme during the day, and Homme Intense in the evenings.
26th September, 2011 (last edited: 07th July, 2014)

Guerlain Homme L'Eau by Guerlain

Take the mojito accord found in Guerlain Homme's top notes and amp it up in strength and longevity. Now add a natural, juicy smelling grapefruit note and some geranium.

It's not a complex fragrance by any means, but it smells quite nice. This stuff is GREAT for summer!
26th September, 2011

Fierce by Abercrombie & Fitch

Highly synthetic but not necessarily a bad smell. However there's a "chemical spill" note buried somewhere within the composition that rubs me the wrong way. Just can't handle it.

I'd like to give this one a Neutral rating, but it smells like the mall. I don't want to smell like the mall.
03rd June, 2011

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

My nose interprets Prada Amber as smelling like women's makeup (powder or powdered foundation perhaps). As such, it comes off as overtly feminine to me. If one could create a makeup-scented soap, that would be Prada Amber. It doesn't necessarily smell bad, but it's not something I would want to wear.
03rd June, 2011

A*Men Sunessence Orage D'Ete / Summer Storm by Thierry Mugler

I bought this semi-blind when it was released last year. At first I thought it was just OK, but quickly grew tired of it and sold it off after a few wearings.

Sunessence opens with a strange, sharp, synthetic watery orange accord. It transitions into a VERY light A*Men base (chocolate, caramel, patchouli, etc), with a bit of the orange accord still present.

If Sunessence was simply a watered down, toned down version of A*Men suitable for summer-wear, I would have been happy with it and kept the bottle. But the strange orange note ruins it for me. I just don't like the smell of orange mixed with chocolate, caramel, etc.
13th April, 2011 (last edited: 11th March, 2012)

cK Free by Calvin Klein

What else can be said that hasn't already been said??

-- At least half of the notes listed in the note pyramid are NOWHERE to be found.
-- Smells CHEAP.
-- An utterly BORING fragrance.
-- A completely FORGETTABLE fragrance.
-- Another crappy, fresh, super-synthetic aquatic-style fragrance with no character or original appeal.

It's as if cK doesn't even try anymore when they develop new releases, but the fact of the matter is that this stuff probably sells like hotcakes in department stores...

13th April, 2011 (last edited: 09th June, 2011)

Bijan Wicked for Men by Bijan

Bijan Wicked was recommended to me as a nice alternative to Azzaro Chrome. It was described as being Chrome + pineapple. (nice!)

But to my nose it came off smelling like Chrome + cocktail sauce. (no joke)

Sillage and longevity are great. The fragrance is inexpensive which is another plus. But I just couldn't get over what my nose perceived to be a prominent cocktail sauce accord.

Chrome & Captain D's? I'll pass.
13th April, 2011 (last edited: 15th April, 2011)

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

My first impression of Pure Havane was that it smelled closer to B*Men than A*Men. As I spent more time with it, I began to detect more similarities with Pure Malt. Still, I find the opening spray somewhat reminiscent of B*Men due to the spiciness of the top notes. As the fragrance transitions into the heart (and especially the base), the whole composition becomes much sweeter when the honey note appears, and the spiciness subsides. The base is a smooth, sweet honey tobacco accord that resembles Pure Malt to my nose.

All in all, I would describe Pure Havane as a sweet honey & cherry tobacco gourmand.

Although Pure Havane is my least favorite fragrance of the A*Men flankers (I LOVE Pure Coffee & Pure Malt), it's definitely a welcome addition.
24th February, 2011

Style In Play by Lacoste

A fruity aquatic with a sour apple note and a white musk base. Nice fragrance for warm weather.
31st January, 2011 (last edited: 08th July, 2014)

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

Apple, cinnamon, and clove smothered in a sweet amber or vanilla. It walks the line and teeters between being a true gourmand and a fresh oriental. Smells nice.
31st January, 2011 (last edited: 08th July, 2014)

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

Animale Animale. Funny name. This fragrance's notes are all over the place. Honey, vanilla, pineapple, patchouli, amber, sandalwood, oakmoss, musk, lavender, nutmeg. But you know what? This smells amazing!

A gourmand reminiscent of the original A*Men, but with a different vibe. A prominent pineapple note in the top, and oakmoss and musk in the base.
31st January, 2011 (last edited: 07th July, 2014)

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

Opens with a pleasant watermelon and quickly becomes somewhat powdery on my skin as it transitions into the heart and base. The heart incorporates a nice subtle cinnamon note, and the base dries down into the distinct Carolina Herrera DNA/house note found in 212 Men (minus the cut grass notes found in that fragrance). Very suitable for the fall season and cooler weather.

As others have mentioned, the top is reminiscent of Creed Millesime Imperial because of the watermelon note, but where MI is somewhat salty and aquatic, Chic gets powdery and warm when the cinnamon emerges.
31st January, 2011 (last edited: 09th June, 2011)

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

Peel an orange and toss away the fruit portion. Take the rind, rip it in half, and sniff the inner, bitter center. Now take that smell, extract it, and multiply it in intensity. That's the opening of Eau d'Orange Verte.

This is an extremely natural smelling fragrance to my nose. I would guess that high quality ingredients went into making this.

As others have mentioned, this fragrance has horrible longevity. A single spray on my (dry) skin may only last 30 ~ 45 minutes before completely fading away into oblivion. I do acknowledge that this is EDC concentration, however, so I still give it a Thumbs Up. It's meant to be applied liberally.

PERFECT for hot summer weather!
31st January, 2011 (last edited: 01st February, 2011)

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extrême / Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

A semi-sweet, dry, bitter cocoa-based gourmand with a dash of spice and woods. It's warm and stays pretty linear on my skin, although it does get smoother, subtler, and sweeter as time progresses. As another reviewer pointed out, this is a cocoa-based fragrance, which is NOT the same as chocolate. Lasting power and sillage are excellent.
31st January, 2011

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

A sweet, fresh, slightly powdery fragrance reminiscent of the smell of fresh cut grass. Yes it smells somewhat synthetic, and yes it smells good. Dries down to the distinct Carolina Herrera DNA/house note found in Chic for Men (minus the watermelon and cinnamon found in that fragrance). Great for spring & summer!
31st January, 2011

Allure Homme Sport Cologne by Chanel

Wonderful zippy, zesty, tart opening of grapefruit and citron juice. Love it! Stays quite linear from top to bottom, and lasts anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours on my skin depending on how liberal I am with the application. Keep in mind this fragrance is EDC strength and isn't meant to last a very long time. A fantastic choice for hot weather!
30th January, 2011

Chrome Sport by Azzaro

An equal mixture of Versace Man Eau Fraiche and Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey, which are two extremely popular fragrances and top sellers, so it would make sense that Azzaro would want to imitate them both. I always found that both Versace Fraiche and L'Eau D'Issey are missing something in their compositions. With Chrome Sport combining the two (and adding a dash of the grapefruit citrus found in Chanel Allure Sport Cologne EDC), I don't feel it's missing anything, and I don't feel it's a bad fragrance. I am almost inclined to give this one a thumbs up, HOWEVER sillage and longevity are quite poor, and the whole composition comes off as overly synthetic to my nose.
30th September, 2010 (last edited: 09th June, 2011)

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

Pure Malt's opening is quite different than A*Men. The tar note has been replaced by a smooth, sweet, and fruity malt whiskey note. Also, the caramel note is much more pronounced in Pure Malt. This creates the impression of a boozy, malted caramel liqueur. On my skin, there isn't much difference between the top, mid, and base notes. That is to say, the entire composition smells quite different than A*Men, and the booze, malt, caramel accord lasts throughout the entire life of the fragrance.

An awesome gourmand!
22nd April, 2010 (last edited: 13th February, 2011)