Reviews by gandrasta

gandrasta's avatar
    gandrasta
    Indonesia Indonesia

Sergio Soldano for Men (Black) by Sergio Soldano

Impressing, shocking, in a good way, ofcourse. I love its progression so much. Bright-lightning top notes to earthy vetiver in a long journey through complicated ingredients.

07 December, 2009

Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal

Myrrh juice to the max. It has the quality of astringent or cough syrup, but unlike most of AG fragrances, Myrrhe Ardente albeit stays longer ;)

Myrrhe Ardente in adj:
    Level 1: liquor
    Level 2: jerusalem
    Level 3: healing juice

07 September, 2009

Furyo by Jacques Bogart

I bought Furyo at the small perfume stores here in Jakarta, only $15-they really have pile of em. So i don't have to broke my wallet ;) Furyo is, indeed, woody oriental with a dirty beast note. I spot a quality of VC&A Pour Homme on a slight of honey. Furyo is Thierry Wasser's creation, bytheway.

Furyo in adj:
    level 1: freshly bitter
    level 2: beast beneath
    level 3: calf

16 June, 2009

Agua Fresca de Rosas by Adolfo Dominguez

Agua fresca de rosas is a bit steep and disappointing. Dominguez's juices usually created with delicate artsy and dedication. Maybe this one is exceptional. Indeed, a tap water with rose petals solution.

09 June, 2009

Cuir Beluga by Guerlain

too mild for a leather hints. All I can get is sweet-vanilic tone. Yes, It is a round of creamy warm syrup covered with slight leather. I found vanilla overpowering the real character burden somewhere in the heart notes.

Cuir Beluga in adj:
    Level 1: purse
    Level 2: puppies
    Level 3: barking vanilla

Cuir / Cuir de Russie by Piver

I don't know why this kind a leather evaporated so quickly. It just a trace, a bit trace, of leather after all. It turns into deep spicy scent that embrace me of opium. I'm not a leather expert, but Tuscany Leather and Knize Ten are the best in genre.

Piver CdR in adj:
    Level 1: back rub
    Level 2: shuttle spice
    Level 3: wayang

Royal English Leather by Creed

I'm lost here. I can smell any leather in REL. It's just pungent artificial hints on the top, white flower and aliphatic components. REL, indeed, not a leather fans lover, but it really gives me something to think about: "how about to spray this on a cat?"

REL in adj:
    Level 1: artificial
    Level 2: plague
    Level 3: corpses de mai

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

I mostly adore its progression in my skin. Very soft orange powder blanketed in warm amber. It is one of the high level of perfumery art I have ever smelled. I found myself in the alluring red aroma evaporated slowly through my aura layer. Basil gives Habit Rouge a little gourmand feeling. though, I can't trace any leather in it. Maybe just my nose, but I think leather notes shouldn't be treated like this.

Habit Rouge in adj:
    Level 1: morning juice
    Level 2: sour powder
    Level 3: grand silage

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Bitter green, indeed. It shocks and hits our nerves to questioning the sillage: "where is it?" But, its woody layer evaporated discreetly and gives clear perception for someone walking behind. I love the rarity and surprises in grey flannel. Classic, yet fun to play with.

Grey Flannel in adj:
    Level 1: aspirin pills
    Level 2: damp
    Level 3: teak membrane

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

very clean and aliphatic. a bit too strong in the begining, but it quickly grown to be humble and sour. It needs long time to reach its burden woody notes. 4711 is a phenomenon. This one is the only frags that could be used as a medicinal and style statement.

4711 in adj:
    Level 1: Lime soda
    Level 2: Splash of petals
    Level 3: Sour salt

360 Degrees for Women by Perry Ellis

This one is gross and dizzy. I just can't get it in a first spray, until I have chocked in the brain by 360 degree stealth maneuver. I understand it urges to put fruit and flower inside, but doesn't work unless it reduce the metallic and overpowering faux chemicals.

Eau de Givenchy by Givenchy

I sense Ylang Ylang behind the muguet epiphany. this one is a fresh green frags that suitable for both men and women. EdG also gives opportunity to layering with woody and incense hits. Feel free to explore the greenest area on earth.

Eau de Givenchy in adj:
    Level 1: air breeze
    Leve 2: tropical rain
    Level 3: deforestation

Allure Eau de Toilette by Chanel

girls, you really have sent a little notes to chanel declaring this one is for men. I don't get it, why chanel needs to pampering women with such smokey scent? The pencil, cloud, and petal mist are not in proportion. They hit the air with awkward moment, and finished the day with huge question: "why?"

Allure in adj:
    Level 1: Dusty
    Level 2: flower ash
    Level 3: wit of wedding

Knize Ten by Knize

this classic is blown me away. It silage turns head and harmonically charisma enhancer. I know you have to like leather first to love K-10, but if you think a little bit more, this creation is a superbly delicate, not understated but subtle floral in the leather fluid. just be different!

14 February, 2009

Karma by Gorilla Perfume [Lush]

to me Karma is a tradition as in "Karma" itself. I don't understand what about hippie scent, but this one could kick and stick for a whole day on the skin. Bold tangerine with slight patchouli (Nilam-in Indonesian) base. It might cheer up your day or burn down your figure in front of your clients. Choose one deliberately.

Karma in adj:
    leve 1: tangy
    level 2: sour juice
    level 3: mumbai tambourine

29 January, 2009

Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

I dont know why, but Glow is more like morning sickness to me. I can't handle the low quality of musk. Rose and flower content are fine so far. everytime I spray Glow, either on skin or clothes, it turns my head spinning. Well, Glow is not for men afterall.

29 January, 2009

212 Men Splash 2008 by Carolina Herrera

this is an ode to citronella. I found Splash is so kitcheney, since I use lots of citronella on my daily food (LOL). Splash is a fresh bright summer breeze, indeed, with pungent hits in top notes of citronella and citrus. Its aqua notes come up after 30 minutes to be more subtle and woody. I'm not into its base and drydown, because they are evaporated so quickly. But I insist, Splash is suitable for girls too.

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

So sweet and powdery. It might be from the Tonka. I love the smell when Arpege reached its middle notes. It becomes more warm and woody. A very strong (read: strange) flavor emerge as per first spray on my skin. To the drydown, patchouli closed everything nicely.

Arpege in adj:
    level 1: sweet and feminine
    level 2: tropical petals
    level 3: warmth of caramel

Poison by Christian Dior

OMG this is sexual. Poison is way more obsessive to its tuberose notes. I believe people would never wore this in formal occasion such as wedding or press conferences, but in casual dinner or personal meetings, it works as fantasy itself.

Poison in adj:
    level 1: velvet
    lever 2: taboo
    level 3: aggressive

Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons

First it's a bold metallic and technological, I can even smell electronic components in flame for a second and it shift to airy and something untraceable. Just only in an hour, Odeur 71 hits its heart with warm light leather-spice notes. I think there's leather, a very light one. I was blown away!

15 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 January, 2009)

Eau du Sud by Annick Goutal

For tropical country like Indonesia, Citrus and lemon smell are boldly suitable. Eau du Sud gives strong force against heat and air polution. I'm not freshy person, but i really envy Eau du Sud's longevity. Distinct citrus notes at first, a little bit musky with a blend of kitchen smell (this might be the basil). Love it!

15 January, 2009

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

this is become my everyday smell. I wore terre to office and lounging at the side of the street with my friends. They found terre is so fresh. bit too orange at the first time, but it blend so well with my skin and tropical weather to be subtly woody and deliberately fresh. I love Ellena

19 August, 2008

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

If this were a color, it'd be light breeze forest green. I kind a smell something smoky somehow. I live at tropical country so i think sun has taken so much from its original smell. This will be so much freshness with subtle floral at the first time. In a few minutes, on the hard sun exposed, it turns to dry leaves and humidity. The last hit is a little bit sweet and green ash. I love how the greenery evaporated trough my collar. Sweat and heat makes the smell even better. This is so great for summer or extremely hot season. superb!

adj effect:
    Level 1: strange, curious, and confident.
    Level 2: fresh, fun.
    Level 3. sexy, feminine.

Well umm, is this for men too?

19 August, 2008